Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently somewhere whipping Portuguese prisoners
    Depends on the destination. France and Germany are easily accessed with the train from where I live, but anything further than that would mean the plane for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Well if something happens and the plane goes down, you can't escape. Chance of survival during a crash is near 0%. Granted they're less likely to crash than say, a car. With a car you at least have a chance of survival.
    Ok, I'll give you that...in the event that an airplane just falls from the sky after a departure from controlled flight, your chances of survival are pretty much fuck all. However, and as you alluded to, planes don't be just fallin from the sky. In fact, contrary to what CNN would have you believe a plane losing control and crashing is excedingly rare. Further what is often REPORTED as a plane crash is not a crash at all, but something we call a forced landing or an off airport landing. While there is obviously some risk association with a forced landing, you are not anywhere close to "near 0%" chance of survival.

Honestly, I feel FAR safer on airplanes than I do as a pedastrian walking near a road, or even as a passenger on a public buss.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently somewhere whipping Portuguese prisoners
    Well if something happens and the plane goes down, you can't escape. Chance of survival during a crash is near 0%. Granted they're less likely to crash than say, a car. With a car you at least have a chance of survival.
    With a car you have a chance of survival, but we're talking about long distance travelling. I.e. on the highway, where your speed is quite high. If you do a nice little flip on the highway, expect good chances of knocking on Death's door.

Some people tend to assume that flight crashes happen often, but also often forget that there are numerous flights every day without lethal casualties.
    Last edited by DrMcNinja; 2016-06-11 at 05:14 PM.

I teleport, sometimes I use a Trans mat.

10+ Year Old Account
    My ranking:

1. Train
    2. Plane
    3. Car
    17. Bus

If I can drive there... I will.

I've never traveled via bus or train before, but I've been on a plane multiple times. I hate it :P Not because of the flying itself... but being so... close... in cramped quarters with people makes me really uncomfortable.

Bring back the Concorde

If it's too far for me to drive myself in a reasonable amount of time, I'd pick plane, I've done the long distance bus thing, it sucks. I like to travel but I hate the actual time to get there, and planes usually tend to be the fastest. My Dad prefers the train but he's a train nut, hates airport security, and is retired, so he has nothing but time.

7+ Year Old Account
    Bus, trains here suck.

plane, even though I'd say I'd prefer trains more but I live in the US so that's a completely unrealistic thing to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Trains! I wish the US had kept up with railroad infrastructure.

- - - Updated - - -

We have Amtrak but no high speed rail, to my knowledge.
    Agreed. The problem is that the distances are too great for upgrades and high speed infrastructure.

Plane for really long distances like Nebraska to California, but car for anywhere semi-close like Nebraska to Colorado. Trains suck. I hate riding on trains. There are so many delays (shared tracks), it takes forever to reach your destination.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Planes, Trains, Automobiles is one of my favorite movies. John Candy at his best. hehe.

But on topic, none of those. I prefer to use a automobile.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Planes, Trains, Automobiles is one of my favorite movies. John Candy at his best. hehe.

But on topic, none of those. I prefer to use a automobile.
    'Those aren't pillows!'

Deleted
    I have no clear winner -- I hate traveling in general.

Planes: I'm fine with flying on planes, but much less fine with all the wasted time at the airport. Having to check-in 1H+ before the take off negates most of the flight speed. Worse, one must be careful to avoid forbidden stuff in the handbag (e.g. liquids).
    Also, when you arrive at your destination, you need to get a train/coach to get to the actual city.

Trains: as with planes, I'm fine when actually traveling. However, sometimes you need a lot of transfers. Once I had to take 5 of them to travel 300km. And of course, at every change you have to plan at least a 20min gap or you could miss the next train.
    When counting these gaps, train speed is quite meh.

Bus: see trains.

Cars: when driving, you can't do anything else, unlike on planes/trains.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fengosa View Post
    'Those aren't pillows!'
    ROFL. Hilarious part. The first time I watched that movie, I thought my side was going to burst from laughing so much. I still enjoy it now on occasion.

But to stay on topic, I think what I enjoy about driving instead of a public transportation is I can stop when I want to. And get back on the road when I want to.

15+ Year Old Account
    Train. But my family usually takes the plane for our holidays. I hate planes, the seating is awful in those flying death traps.
    Planes are actually the safest mode of transportation, Trains rank in second.

"Between 2000 and 2009, the number of deaths per billion passenger-miles caused by trains was 0.43. In comparison, the number of deaths caused by cars was 7.3 and the number of deaths caused by motorcycles was a disturbing 213.

But trains are still only the second-safest option, with the first-safest option being — you guess it — flying.

According to that same study, the number of deaths per billion passenger-miles caused by airplanes is a measly 0.07. And this statistic is just one of many that illustrate just how safe air travel is.

Similarly, in 2012, The New York Times cited Arnold Barnett, a professor of statistics at M.I.T., for this statistic: between 2008 and 2012, the odds of dying in a plane crash for passengers in the U.S. were one in 45 million flights. The Times further emphasized the point by revealing that with those odds, a passenger could fly every single day for an average of 123,000 years before dying in a plane accident."
    Sure Plane crashes are much deadlier than Train crashes, but Train crashes happen more frequently.

http://www.bustle.com/articles/83287...tion-is-safest

Uber.

But with the limited experiences I've had with the three listed, I'd go with trains. The monorail in my area has amazing legroom, comes in quick intervals, and has guaranteed travel speed since it's immune to traffic unlike buses.

Planes are obviously necessary for long distance travel, but airports are the living embodiment of hell. Haven't ever flown on a private jet, but I'm sure that beats anything else available.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Planes of course.

The Acela is fine. But it's hard to beat the the Boston->New York shuttle. Pilots can do it in 35 minutes.

Why the hell would I be on a train for 4 hours?

Oh and it's basically the same price.

Seriously, screw trains.
    You can get to the train station 1 minute before departure: saves at least an hour
    You can get out of the train station 1 minute after arrival: saves at least an hour

What I hate about flying is the time you spend waiting. Also, you don't have to stand in line for security, you don't need an ID, you don't have to worry about packing liquids in a 100ml bottle in a clear plastic bag, you don't have to check in 1-2 hours before the flight, you can buy a ticket on the train if you decide to take that train and it isn't 4 times the normal price and you don't get bitched at if you want to listen to music while the train is starting and stopping.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I'm afraid of flying, so if I can drive it, I will. Road trips can be fun
    Same here, flying makes me nervous. Road trips are fun, especially with some good music, and snacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.