Damn the amount of shitposts in here... Any sane person that has any knowledge around budgets would say...

Wait and see... Its obvious that if Blizzard is going to bring back legacy servers, which is a possibility they have to work it in their budget. That takes time as it does with most companies.

It's difficult to re-do it... YES IT IS. It's not impossible... If there is a revenue stream from that they are going to do it. I am guessing the next few months they are going to be evaluating the buisiness model of bringing legacy servers back. If their spreadsheets are ok for it they will do it, if not they wont.

Its so funny how people are trying to argue in here, or praise blizzard for seeing people from nostralius etc... they are a company, their interest is their balance sheet, not the games, not anything else.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really rather enjoyed where the Blizzard guys talked about actually playing on Nostalrius before they sent the order. They were geeking out and having a great time.
    Stains on the carpet and stains on the memory
    Songs about happiness murmured in dreams
    When we both of us knew how the end always is...

What to take from the interview:
    Blizzard is NOT working on Legacy servers.
    Implications show they have no plans to start working on Legacy.
    They do not have old coding for the game, and while snapshots and guides exist that have damage details in them, they do not have multiple snapshots for all old mobs/bosses with armor rating, magical resist, and damage modifiers based on the old information (this doesn't even include things like racial passives and buffing). This will cause a big undertaking of time and resources to reverse engineer current code back to a point where it reflects what Vanilla was.
    Blizzard devs spent a lot of time reliving the old days and great feelings and memories they have for Vanilla.
    Legacy is something they WOULD LIKE to do.
    It's not fair to say Legacy will never happen, and may in fact occur at some point down the road, but there is no set date.
    The amount of time devs stated it will take makes it seem like nothing will happen in the near future.
    Bottom line: it is not happening anytime soon, but keep the dream alive and fighting for what you want, because even the devs would like to do it, but retail and evolving retail, and current/future IP's, comes first. There is no absolute it won't ever happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Perkunas View Post
    I really rather enjoyed where the Blizzard guys talked about actually playing on Nostalrius before they sent the order. They were geeking out and having a great time.
    Where did you see that? I saw that they got to do a Strat run on what I imagine was probably an empty copy of Nost that the Nost team took with them to the meeting, but I didn't see anything that said they played on it before sending the C&D.

10+ Year Old Account
    After reading the Kotaku interview I think we're looking at years and not months before any progress is made. We'd be better served if they put the time and effort into a new MMO instead of hoping Blizzard will remake Vanilla. The World of Warcraft that we enjoyed and the vision/attitudes of the devs that built that game are no longer part of Blizzard. It was all just a waste of time.

They can have an entire expansion ready and done by the time they are ready to offer stable "legacy vanilla" experience. This is why I honestly don't see them doing this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerichofr View Post
    Where did you see that? I saw that they got to do a Strat run on what I imagine was probably an empty copy of Nost that the Nost team took with them to the meeting, but I didn't see anything that said they played on it before sending the C&D.
    I assumed they did because the time it would take to setup the server and create the characters, populate them with appropriate gear, port them to Strath, etc... There was more information from the Nost write-up IIRC.

I assumed they did because the time it would take to setup the server and create the characters, populate them with appropriate gear, port them to Strath, etc... There was more information from the Nost write-up IIRC.
    It wouldn't take them long at all. The server & DB would easily fit on a flash drive. Or even easier would be to remote log into a host somewhere that still had the server on it (just not running) and start it up temporarily with a different realmlist and let the Blizz devs connect from there, create characters, and go. It only takes a few GM commands to get what they want, and if the Nost team had been running it for a long time, they'd have a bunch of the itemset IDs memorized. (Could also be part of why the meeting went over 5 hours instead of the small time they had scheduled)

People saying kotaku is gospel is laughable. People have bashed that site for years but when it suits their interests they use it. Racials being difficult to reset is a joke come on that's 30 min of coding. The had part is how the new code for animations would link to the way skills are called for. It's a communication issue between the server and the code. Yes it's a massive undertaking. Imo a team could have it ready for beta in six months. They will go where the money is. If legion flops like draenor expect a blissful announcement and legacy next summer. Until then I'll be on kronos.
    Last edited by Trunksee; 2016-06-12 at 03:19 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerichofr View Post
    It wouldn't take them long at all. The server & DB would easily fit on a flash drive. Or even easier would be to remote log into a host somewhere that still had the server on it (just not running) and start it up temporarily with a different realmlist and let the Blizz devs connect from there, create characters, and go. It only takes a few GM commands to get what they want, and if the Nost team had been running it for a long time, they'd have a bunch of the itemset IDs memorized. (Could also be part of why the meeting went over 5 hours instead of the small time they had scheduled)
    http://www.pcgamesn.com/world-of-war...tholme-dev-run

“We got to play on the server for a little while,” he divulges. “It's really cool, they did an incredible job of building an experience that feels classic and authentic and that's incredibly hard to do. The painstaking effort it takes to research old videos to try and figure out what the data was because it doesn't exist anymore so you have to pull it out of the nether to put that experience together."

“The leadership team got together and we did a Stratholme run. John Hight [production director on WoW] was a Hunter and had a level eight pet and pulled half the instance, wiped us a few times. It was like, ‘why is the whole instance pulling? Oh it's your level eight pet!’ J [Allen Brack, VP and executive producer] was our priest, he’s like [casting buffs] and then sit and drink for 45 seconds, cast again, sit and drink,” he chuckles. “It's funny, we laugh at all that but it was a very moving experience because it's nostalgic and we all have very fond memories of playing that, that's when we were hardcore and all that stuff.”

Quote Originally Posted by Trunksee View Post
    People saying kotaku is gospel is laughable. People have bashed that site for years but when it suits their interests they use it. Racials being difficult to reset is a joke come on that's 30 min of coding. The had part is how the new code for animations would link to the way skills are called for. It's a communication issue between the server and the code. Yes it's a massive undertaking. Imo a team could have it ready for beta in six months. They will go where the money is. If legion flops like draenor expect a blissful announcement and legacy next summer. Until then I'll be on XXXX.
    I could give a crap about the rest of kotaku and I don't read the site. But when they got an interview with people at Blizz that I would pay attention to. Unless you are just saying the interview was made up and never happened or something. And no one cares that you play on a PS. Stop trying to advertise for them. I'll take Blizzard's word over what it would involve to make happen over RandomForumPoster#135332

http://www.pcgamesn.com/world-of-war...tholme-dev-run

“We got to play on the server for a little while,” he divulges. “It's really cool, they did an incredible job of building an experience that feels classic and authentic and that's incredibly hard to do. The painstaking effort it takes to research old videos to try and figure out what the data was because it doesn't exist anymore so you have to pull it out of the nether to put that experience together."

“The leadership team got together and we did a Stratholme run. John Hight [production director on WoW] was a Hunter and had a level eight pet and pulled half the instance, wiped us a few times. It was like, ‘why is the whole instance pulling? Oh it's your level eight pet!’ J [Allen Brack, VP and executive producer] was our priest, he’s like [casting buffs] and then sit and drink for 45 seconds, cast again, sit and drink,” he chuckles. “It's funny, we laugh at all that but it was a very moving experience because it's nostalgic and we all have very fond memories of playing that, that's when we were hardcore and all that stuff.”
    Hmm... I still think that it was done at the meeting. If they say a "little while", there's no way they got all the way leveled up and then ran Strat themselves (and with a lvl 8 pet), They would almost have had to do it at the meeting (or the Nost team gave them characters between the C&D & the meeting so they could play before then.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    I could give a crap about the rest of kotaku and I don't read the site. But when they got an interview with people at Blizz that I would pay attention to. Unless you are just saying the interview was made up and never happened or something. And no one cares that you play on a PS. Stop trying to advertise for them. I'll take Blizzard's word over what it would involve to make happen over RandomForumPoster#135332
    It was pandering questions when it came to legacy servers. The questions all had easy outs and we're just fed to Chilton so he could say that he responded. I want to hear from Morhiem. I want to know what projects it would pull from. I want someone to ask if there is a real fear of it pulling from current wow because the player base believed they took the game to far one way. Oh yea and also I would resub immediately and buy legion. Why not offer a legacy time frame per expansion? If they are worried about not selling expansions easy fix. They are skirting topics by having these light hearted interviews. Why not start with legacy now with an announcement while to movies out to build off the hype that people can start from the beginning again. Seems like odd timing to be dealing with legacy when a legacy movie is dropping.

It was pandering questions when it came to legacy servers. The questions all had easy outs and we're just fed to Chilton so he could say that he responded. I want to hear from Morhiem. I want to know what projects it would pull from. I want someone to ask if there is a real fear of it pulling from current wow because the player base believed they took the game to far one way. Oh yea and also I would resub immediately and buy legion. Why not offer a legacy time frame per expansion? If they are worried about not selling expansions easy fix. They are skirting topics by having these light hearted interviews. Why not start with legacy now with an announcement while to movies out to build off the hype that people can start from the beginning again. Seems like odd timing to be dealing with legacy when a legacy movie is dropping.
    I mean I 100% agree the questions were lobbed softballs but I never expect honest answers to any type of difficult question if it was asked. It is like that debate going on about the 'Friday announcement' when shitty twitch personalities asked weak questions and never followed up on anything to get some really useful information.

The easiest way to dance around the issue and not cause a ton of fan backlash one way or another is to be interested in it but also talk about the hurdles to overcome and how difficult they may be to surpass.

Why not start with legacy now with an announcement while to movies out to build off the hype that people can start from the beginning again.
    Because they have committed recources on many things already. A new wow expansion, other games and shit. They can't just put any of those on hold willynilly.

Live the dream, maaaaaaaaan. Forget the reality right in front of you - just make up your own!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Outland View Post
    All the interview did was put into more detail the challenges faced in developing legacy servers officially. People have known it would be a challenge for weeks, maybe months by now. I don't know why that would ever deter anyone form continuing to show Blizzard the support for legacy servers.
    Nobody is saying to not show support or interest in legacy servers. The idea here is - don't expect them any time soon, if at all - and Blizzard can still say "no" after taking a more in-depth, serious look at it being done.

I won't speak for everyone on this thread, but the majority of the so-called "ant-legacy" posters, including myself, are not against the idea, or the interest. We're just against the "pulled from my ass" arguments, temper tantrums, accusations of everyone lying or trolling for pointing out reality - and most of all, taking a common sense approach to the issue and the obstacles for them, now that the meetings have concluded, the lawsuits dropped, and the bizarre conspiracy theories and fantasies have all been debunked - and laughing at the attempts by a small handful of the more beligerent and stubborn posters here to "divine" reality from the most ludicrous interpretations of comments possibe.

Do I think legacy servers should be made? If Blizzard can work out a way, sure. Why not. I get why some players would be interested.

Do I think they're going to be made? I don't know. Not anytime soon, is for certain. Ever? We won't know until Blizzard says so.

And, i don't think I've ever told anyone that wanting vanilla servers is a bad thing, and that they shouldn't feel that way. That's just more propaganda from the small group of toxic "pro" people in this thread.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2 View Post
    Nice Ad Hominem. Calling someone a neckbeard, butthurt or snotty doesn't really make your argument any more valid.
    I don't really care.

You disagree with what I wrote?

So?

And, neckbeard's exist. I know their breed. I know them when I smell them, and this thread REEKS of them. They exist, we all know they do, and we all know the gaming community is crawling with them. If it walks like a neckbeard, wears a fedora like a neckbeard...

I used the word intentionally, to point out what the source is. Don't like it? Who cares?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2 View Post
    Wether they still have the data or not is really not up to discussion. They're a company that has a product. Ofcourse they still have their data.
    Yet the director of the game stated they don't, and why.

Why is this such a difficult concept to understand? This isn't a bank, or the government. They have no legal or ethical obligations to save every scrap of code for a product that has evolved over time, and no promise was ever made to restore previous versions. You're holding them to standards that have no basis in reality - and because 'I want!" overrides common sense and reality in your world bubble.

Deleted
    Why is this such a difficult concept to understand?
    Because it is not how the industry works. Blizzard are professionals and they earn billions, they are no amateurs.

Companies have known data is important since the 19th century. It's the most basic of common sense when you develop a product. So when they say they lost a few assets like a texture here and there and a few models, it can indeed happen, but there is simply no way they lost game design data. As it is something that can be saved on paper documents.

Especially on a game as successful as wow.

They have no legal or ethical obligations to save every scrap of code for a product that has evolved over time, and no promise was ever made to restore previous versions. You're holding them to standards that have no basis in reality - and because 'I want!" overrides common sense and reality in your world bubble.
    So anyone who saved the game design data from wow vanilla could go and design "world of hello kitty" with that exact same data but different models/asset and blizzard wouldn't have any way to prove their game design has been ripped off ?

They wouldn't have saved the data to study it for R&D and marketing purposes to make new games ?

This isn't a bank, or the government.
    So, only banks and governments save data ? I don't know where you work if you work but that's not how the world works (and hopefully, else nuclear power plants would blow up, planes would crashs, cars wouldn't work and no rocket could make it to orbit).

Because they have committed recources on many things already. A new wow expansion, other games and shit. They can't just put any of those on hold willynilly.
    Or, you know, they could just start a kickstarter campaign and hire some people if successful.
    Last edited by mmoc18e6a734ba; 2016-06-12 at 10:14 AM.

Deleted
    Calling it for a fact Legacy wont make it anywhere near live again. Especially with all the old Zone scaling they have in the pipelines.

Deleted
    Zone scaling has always been a bad idea and completely misses the point of character development and overcoming challenges. That is a different topic though. A Kickstarter campaign isn't a bad idea btw, why don't they try that? That way they can't make up the excuse of lack of money. Not that Blizz lack money, but still. They have guaranteed cash then, so they don't have to divine whether people would be interested enough to vote with their wallets.

I feel like the only reason this thread is still active is because people want to argue for the sake of arguing.