Quote Originally Posted by Menolikeu View Post
    Did you even watch the movie?????
    Preface: I am not a World of Warcraft/Warcraft RTS fan or am knowledgeable about the lore
    I wouldn't be surprised a non-fan would have no idea what's going on given how fast the movie moves along.

Quote Originally Posted by Menolikeu View Post
    Did you even watch the movie?????
    I didn't feel they explain this well. There were brown orcs, green ones and mutants orcs?

We're the green ones dead/zombies? How come some were mindless and others were free thinking?

No one in my party of 10 got why they acted like that and what made the brown orcs different besides not being magic mutants.

10+ Year Old Account
    just came back from the theatre, overall better than i expected. movie critics are such dipshits.

i felt like there were plot points that i as a long time player and fan whos read most of the novels and shit would know but average moviegoer or person whos played the game but not so invested in the lore would be able to figure out.

could have made the movie like half an hour to an hour longer or something, showing the orcs drink the demon blood and succumb to the bloodlust and sack shattrath. just starting the movie with all the caged draenei and guldan sucking their life out to power the portal with no explanation to who they were and how they got there would be confusing for many people.

it seemed like they were alluding to garona being half orc half human in the movie but it was never explicitly stated. also seemed to allude to medivh being her father. when i thought she was suppossed to be half draenei.

i fucking died laughing in the theatre towards the begining of the movie when some guy comes to tell ragnar (lothar but we'll get to that) that his garrison is under attack. felt like some quest giver just showed up to tell you to hearth back to your garrisson or something. and nobody else laughed other than my brother who quietly chuckled.

i like travis fimmel and i love vikings and ragnar lothbrook but anduin lothar is supposed to be a battle hardened older wise warrior not a slightly more civilised ragnar.

as for what i liked, the cgi was top notch. it looked like warcraft would if it was real. durotans face was more expressive than any of the humans. durotan's arc was meaningful and he was my favourite character. the story was good, didnt deviate in any completely canon shattering ways. medivh brings them, humans close portal, garona kills lane. (how she kills him is different circumstance but she kills him.)

and to recap, it was a good movie but not without flaws

7/10, if you've ever liked warcraft, rts or mmo, go see it
    3ds fc 0576 4895 9192
    ice safari with snorunt sneasel and lapras

pm me if you add me!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I didn't feel they explain this well. There were brown orcs, green ones and mutants orcs?

We're the green ones dead/zombies? How come some were mindless and others were free thinking?

No one in my party of 10 got why they acted like that and what made the brown orcs different besides not being magic mutants.
    The Brown Orcs are just regular Orcs, the Green Orcs are ones that have been corrupted by the Fel, and are stronger, but more violent than regular Brown Orcs.

Thats why when Gul'dan infuses Blackhand with the Fel, he turns Green, and its why most of Durotans clan is still brown, because they believe that the Fel is unclean and that they should just continue on the way they have done for there entire history, instead of giving in to this new magic.

It is kind of explained when Medivh first uses his magic on the Orcs, and only the ones that are infused by the Fel are affected, and then much later on when Gul'dan forces into onto Blackhand and he goes from being a pretty honourable, if misguided fella, into basically the Hulk on a bad day.
    Last edited by mmoc8116b97f51; 2016-06-12 at 05:39 AM.

Woulda like seeing lil Arthas playing with Varian, but it already so much in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellorion View Post
    Woulda like seeing lil Arthas playing with Varian, but it already so much in it.

Question. I keep hearing there is a lot, but how much of it is really needed to get to the movies we really want to see?

Basically, is seeing baby arthas and Varian and seeing Jaina in a somewhat cameo role take away from the film if it took the place of another character?

From what people who have seen the film tell me, khadgar and the orcs basically take center stage. It seems like the garona love story was just so the Aragorn rip can have a love interest.

If this movie started off more recent, let's say the orcs are here, and they are beaten and the horde is on the verge of forming, I'd see it. It would be a much better way to show that humans are kinda jerks with good intentions as well as touch on the undead and power of the fel stuff.

Guldan could be a figure of legend along with heroes and villains of the past. Would make the world seem more real. As it is, it strikes me as "once upon a time, everything was good and then this happened. Oh, we had an army even though we never needed one before...lucky us. "

Oh no, not at, i loved the movie, didnt take away anything at all
    Just they played togther in the arthas book, would been cool to see is all

Quote Originally Posted by Kellorion View Post
    Oh no, not at, i loved the movie, didnt take away anything at all
    Just they played togther in the arthas book, would been cool to see is all
    I didn't mean that specifically. I meant it as an example.

I was basically asking if they chose the best characters to convey this story. Like, would telling the story of arthas be better if thy chose to focus a bit more in Jaina or Sylvanas.

Deleted
    if we havent heard about a sequal at blizzcon this year, im not gonna hold my hope up.

Has there been any indication by DJ or the studios on what would/will be the next chapter of the series?

Warcraft II and the 2nd war would be the chronological choice. However, its contents (Orgrim's horde vs Lothar's Alliance) are by far not as interesting as War III's contents: Arthas, Illidan, Archimonde, Thrall, night elves, the 3rd war and so on.

So, would they jump directly to War III, abandoning all of War II's content (as the movie ending suggests)? Seems logical, or they wouldn't emphasize Thrall that way.

I do not understand why people are so upset about small lore changes. The official lore in which the individuals like those exist: Rexxar, Garona, Me'dan, Rhonin and Vereesa, is too rubbish to adopt it as is.

Quote Originally Posted by renatompassos View Post
    Has there been any indication by DJ or the studios on what would/will be the next chapter of the series?

Warcraft II and the 2nd war would be the chronological choice. However, its contents (Orgrim's horde vs Lothar's Alliance) are by far not as interesting as War III's contents: Arthas, Illidan, Archimonde, Thrall, night elves, the 3rd war and so on.

So, would they jump directly to War III, abandoning all of War II's content (as the movie ending suggests)? Seems logical, or they wouldn't emphasize Thrall that way.
    Duncan Jones and Metzen have repeatedly expressed desire for sequels.

The WC movie is focusing on the First War atm. The First and Second wars are directly tied into each other, so the WC trilogy focusing on the first two games would make sense.

WC3 shares little with the firdt two games and story wise is better suited as a prequel to WoW then a sequel to WC1 or WC2. Medivh and Grom are literally the only characters from the first couple games who show up in WC3, and WC3 is a timeskip with brand new characters and a completely different plot (WC1 and 2 were Horde vs Alliance, WC3 is Azeroth vs Legion).

Quote Originally Posted by Zanjin View Post
    So you want people who would not stay true to warcraft?
    That's a 270 m dollar loaded question. Sometimes price is just way too high for fan service..

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    snip
    That wasn't Garrosh, that was Orgrim Doomhammer(bald orc) and Illidan wasn't in the movie that was the avatar of Sargeras, which wasn't explained in the movie but it's a demon possessing Medivh. Halfbreed is Garona not Gamora Lol. Also green orcs are obviously corrupted by fel magic donno how you missed that.

Quote Originally Posted by renatompassos View Post

He's expressed a desire to do a trilogy. He left too much hanging to jump right into the third war. My guess is he does the second war including beyond the dark portal for the second movie, and then Lord of the clans for the third movie with it ending moving events ahead a bit and setting sail west.

Quote Originally Posted by chris100185 View Post
    He's expressed a desire to do a trilogy. He left too much hanging to jump right into the third war. My guess is he does the second war including beyond the dark portal for the second movie, and then Lord of the clans for the third movie with it ending moving events ahead a bit and setting sail west.

Wish they started there.

Gloss off the first war in exposition and take the fight to the dark portal. Would be heart wrenching to see the heroes destroy the portal and be trapped on Outland at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Tempguy View Post
    Wish they started there.

Gloss off the first war in exposition and take the fight to the dark portal. Would be heart wrenching to see the heroes destroy the portal and be trapped on Outland at the end.
    Sorry, but there's simply TOO MUCH going on to just set up a 2min exposition dialogue ala LotR.

Quote Originally Posted by Jshadowhunter View Post
    Sorry, but there's simply TOO MUCH going on to just set up a 2min exposition dialogue ala LotR.
    Maybe for that movie, but you could easily explain that the orcs came through a portal and invaded. They were pushed back, and now the plan is to destroy the portal from their side. Then introduce your characters and you know, develope them.

That includes history and parentage. When a character says "my dad died exposing guldans treachery," you have that covered.

Or you can make a movie about one of 3 wars of humans v orcs and expect people to care about it enough to flesh out all these characters who hold up better as legends than real people.

/shrug

And why don't people want Warcraft to follow the model that apparently worked very well and spawned like 6 movies?

As long as the story is about Warcraft, why not follow in those footsteps? I don't get it.
    Last edited by Tempguy; 2016-06-12 at 08:01 AM.

OMG it took me hours to catch up on the thread!

For the people worried about the box office results.. read this.... and chill out!
    (and plz stop asking the same questions over and over when they have been well explained by several people quite a few times already)

It is just ideal for a movie to be profitable in its theatrical career. It doesn't have to be for a sequel to happen. Lots of other things are also considered.
    There isn't an exact number it needs to reach because this number depends on a lot of stuff. The amount that goes to the producers/distributors vary depending on the country and the week of release. All they can do is estimates for now.
    That said, with what the movie have earned so far and current projections, it is 100% certain that it will make hundreds of millions of dollars in a couple years, when you add DVD, cable/TV and merchandise.
    It will give the investors enough profit.

Warcraft faced 2 major issues, TERRIBLE advertising and harsh critic review. This was mostly an issue in the US.
    Despite that, the reception from the audience has been quite positive. This is very important!

The only important country where Warcraft performance is a issue is the US. Had the film done in the US as well as it is doing overseas, the film would've been considered a major sucess.

The poor performance in the US was expected by Legendary/Universal (already explained in an earlier post) and that's why the film started almost everywhere before the US. A bad US performance can contaminate other markets.
    The movie is doing better than they initially projected overseas and the reception has been much warmer as well.

More importantly, this movie is not an end on itself. It is a meant to plant the seeds for the Warcraft cinematic universe. Introduce Warcraft to a much larger audience. Both to attract more people to the games, make money with merch, and make Warcraft a reference when it comes to fantasy.

All this takes time. There's a huge audience that will only watch the film over the next months. If these people like it, big chance they'll see the next one on the theater.
    If the (possible) director's cut is considered a much better version of the film, then this is also good news. Audience will have more faith on the next one and Duncan will have more creative freedom on the next installments. (The cut was imposed on Duncan, not his choice, I explained how these things work in an earlier post)

Add to that proper advertising (they can't fuck up twice), and the next movie is settle for some good money, as long as it is at least as good as this one.

Don't expect any announcement about sequels before June 19th. By then they'll have a good idea how much the movie will sell in theaters, with how well the movie is holding, and at least 2 weekends on most countries.
    It may only happen at Blizzcon, not after that, but I doubt they'll wait that long.

- - - Updated - - -

This review linked by DJ was really interesting and very similar to what I thought of the movie.

http://www.pajiba.com/film_reviews/w...prised-too.php

Quote Originally Posted by Faier View Post
    OMG it took me hours to catch up on the thread!

For the people worried about the box office results.. read this.... and chill out!
    (and plz stop asking the same questions over and over when they have been well explained by several people quite a few times already)

It is just ideal for a movie to be profitable in its theatrical career. It doesn't have to be for a sequel to happen. Lots of other things are also considered.
    There isn't an exact number it needs to reach because this number depends on a lot of stuff. The amount that goes to the producers/distributors vary depending on the country and the week of release. All they can do is estimates for now.
    That said, with what the movie have earned so far and current projections, it is 100% certain that it will make hundreds of millions of dollars in a couple years, when you add DVD, cable/TV and merchandise.
    It will give the investors enough profit.

Warcraft faced 2 major issues, TERRIBLE advertising and harsh critic review. This was mostly an issue in the US.
    Despite that, the reception from the audience has been quite positive. This is very important!

The only important country where Warcraft performance is a issue is the US. Had the film done in the US as well as it is doing overseas, the film would've been considered a major sucess.

The poor performance in the US was expected by Legendary/Universal (already explained in an earlier post) and that's why the film started almost everywhere before the US. A bad US performance can contaminate other markets.
    The movie is doing better than they initially projected overseas and the reception has been much warmer as well.

More importantly, this movie is not an end on itself. It is a meant to plant the seeds for the Warcraft cinematic universe. Introduce Warcraft to a much larger audience. Both to attract more people to the games, make money with merch, and make Warcraft a reference when it comes to fantasy.

All this takes time. There's a huge audience that will only watch the film over the next months. If these people like it, big chance they'll see the next one on the theater.
    If the (possible) director's cut is considered a much better version of the film, then this is also good news. Audience will have more faith on the next one and Duncan will have more creative freedom on the next installments. (The cut was imposed on Duncan, not his choice, I explained how these things work in an earlier post)

Add to that proper advertising (they can't fuck up twice), and the next movie is settle for some good money, as long as it is at least as good as this one.

Don't expect any announcement about sequels before June 19th. By then they'll have a good idea how much the movie will sell in theaters, with how well the movie is holding, and at least 2 weekends on most countries.
    It may only happen at Blizzcon, not after that, but I doubt they'll wait that long.

- - - Updated - - -

This review linked by DJ was really interesting and very similar to what I thought of the movie.

http://www.pajiba.com/film_reviews/w...prised-too.php
    Thank you, I wish I could give you reputation points