Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roidzilla View Post
    Current reviews of the top overclocked 1070 vs 1080 show only a 12% difference, 1080 is struggling and will continue to do so until voltage is unlocked.
    This is what you replied to @Life-Binder.

Clearly Roidzilla says the performance difference is 12% (which isn't far from the point).
    We know he's referring to that because he's quoting YOU referring to the performance difference, thus the topic is performance difference and not percentile overclocks.

Now considering you're comparing the 1080 (since you bought it) to the 1070 in terms of speed the calculation is correct.
    You're using the 1080 as a reference point and not the 1070.

So before you call me a "Kid" you should attempt to learn what your own statements mean.

As for part 2:
    Congratulations, somehow your country has now become the cheapest in computer hardware with those graphics cards.
    If you live in either Slovakia or Latvia that is.
    Last edited by Evildeffy; 2016-06-11 at 07:39 PM.

Try and keep it civil, no need to be at each others throats

Man I really hope AMD can pull through soon, I'm tired of the nvidia prices. Intel pulling the same thing now with their new broadwell-e lineup.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Numbgamer91 View Post
    Man I really hope AMD can pull through soon, I'm tired of the nvidia prices. Intel pulling the same thing now with their new broadwell-e lineup.
    Not really...

Intel has had $1,000 upper-tier CPUs now for the better part of a decade or more. And you should expect it and be okay with it - it's for enthusiasts, not just gamers. It's for people who money is nearly not an object to, people who will likely make money with their computers.

And yes, the $1700~ CPU is a new thing, but you know something? It's a fucking 10 core! TEN CORES! TWENTY THREADS! This is unheard of on consumer-end systems... this is typically reserved for SERVERS. An overclockable CPU with ten cores. Yeah, I don't have a problem with Intel charging that much.

But don't act like Intel hasn't always charged an arm and a leg for the Enthusiast-grade CPUs, they have. i7-990X! Go look it up. It was a $1,000 CPU.

Then there's also the i7-3960X... i7-4960X... i7-5960X...
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post

And yes, the $1700~ CPU is a new thing, but you know something? It's a fucking 10 core! TEN CORES! TWENTY THREADS! This is unheard of on consumer-end systems... this is typically reserved for SERVERS. An overclockable CPU with ten cores. Yeah, I don't have a problem with Intel charging that much.
    "Overclockable"

They barely reach 4,3 GHz, at which point they are running crazy hot even with water cooling. It really doesn't make much sense to get any of the Broadwell-E CPUs, the 6-8 core versions overclock worse than previous generations, meaning you will just end up paying more for the same if you overclock and the only CPU that is even remotely interesting is the 5960X, but even that falls flat on it's face when you compare it to Xeons in the same price bracket.

Overall this generation is pretty much as interesting as the Broadwell was, bit of an increase on IPC, but is a fairly bad overclocker.. Not that it wasn't something we expected, it's just nobody expected the price increases for the 6-8 core variants.

10+ Year Old Account
    There were no price increases really for the 6-8 core variants.

There's always been one around $300-400... one in the $500-600 area... and then a third around $1k. They added a new CPU.

No lie though, I do wish they still did it like the i7-9xx series where there was... what? Like 8 CPUs? XD $300 and up!

However, buying the enthusiast stuff, so X99 right now, has its benefits over the Z170, etc, setups. For gaming purely? Not much, but when you do stuff like photo/video rendering, oh boy, does it help! I have absolutely no regrets getting my i7-5820k! And I only paid $275~300 I think for it.
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    I still currently run an Intel Core i7-990X Hexacore... it's not as decrepit as people believe.

I also have an Intel Core i7-4960X Hexacore which I still need to install but I CBA doing all my Windows settings again.
    Been doing nothing for over half a year next to my desk catching dust (along with Rampage IV Black Edition and 32GB of RAM).

They were all 1,1K actually (Euros vs. Dollars... fking no-tax paying Americans...)

Even the original Pentium 4 Prescott 3,6 or 3,8GHz (even when they were HORRIBLY outclassed by AMD's Athlon64) cost over 1K.

It's an Intel standard for a VERY long time.

Still running a 4690k FeelsBadMan.... nah, not a bad CPU, would love to upgrade but just don't need to really. I did have a GTX 980 but I had it refunded because it was faulty (was reaching absolutely ridiculous tempretures none overclocked), saddled with my old GTX 780 now. So pretty much ANY card this generation will be a pretty sizeable upgrade from my 780.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    I still currently run an Intel Core i7-990X Hexacore... it's not as decrepit as people believe.

I also have an Intel Core i7-4960X Hexacore which I still need to install but I CBA doing all my Windows settings again.
    Been doing nothing for over half a year next to my desk catching dust (along with Rampage IV Black Edition and 32GB of RAM).

They were all 1,1K actually (Euros vs. Dollars... fking no-tax paying Americans...)

Even the original Pentium 4 Prescott 3,6 or 3,8GHz (even when they were HORRIBLY outclassed by AMD's Athlon64) cost over 1K.

It's an Intel standard for a VERY long time.
    Excuse me, we do pay our taxes on these products. We just love labeling them without taxes for reasons... I still have yet to know. O.o

So yeah, $1,100 here too, after tax.
    "A flower.

Because SLI/Crossfire is really supported.
    Nope

Quote Originally Posted by Mifuyne View Post
    Because SLI/Crossfire is really supported.
    Nope
    Not many games sadly, I assume the new battlefield will be at least.

http://amdcrossfire.wikia.com/wiki/C...atibility_List

Obviously not a lot, which is a shame. Tempted to just buy a single 480 for now, maybe pick up a 1080 Ti later.

15+ Year Old Account
    Excuse me, we do pay our taxes on these products. We just love labeling them without taxes for reasons... I still have yet to know. O.o

So yeah, $1,100 here too, after tax.
    Pffft... I call shenanigans!
    Quote Originally Posted by Newegg FAQ
    Newegg charges the appropriate state and/or local sales tax for any order shipping to California, New Jersey, and Tennessee. Sales tax for cell phone orders shipping to California and Tennessee are calculated before any instant savings are applied.

Tennessee and New Jersey residents are charged according to their state and/or local tax rate. Please note that the sales tax for New Jersey and Tennessee orders is calculated based upon the total price of the order, including shipping and handling. The tax imposed by these states on shipping and handling is part of the state sales tax, not a separate tax.

California residents are charged sales tax as follows:
    Los Angeles County residents: 8.75%
    City of Pico Rivera residents: 9.75%
    California residents outside of Los Angeles County: 7.25%

For further information concerning California sales tax, please refer to www.boe.ca.gov.
    For further information concerning New Jersey sales tax, please refer to www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/.
    For further information concerning Tennessee sales tax, please refer to www.state.tn.us/revenue/.

Although Newegg only charges sales tax on sales shipped to the states mentioned above, please note that your state of residence may require you to pay sales or use tax and file a sales or use tax return for certain purchases made from Newegg. Please consult your city, county and state tax rates to determine your applicable sales or use tax.
    Looks like you only get a sales tax in 3 states, damned cheaters

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Pffft... I call shenanigans!

Looks like you only get a sales tax in 3 states, damned cheaters
    Yeah, but then depending on where you live in those states it is different too.

And it is still nowhere near the 19% we pay...

10+ Year Old Account
    We are supposed to pay tax no matter what state we live in. Anyone who does not pay taxes is not abiding by the law.

Quote Originally Posted by mojo6912 View Post
    We are supposed to pay tax no matter what state we live in. Anyone who does not pay taxes is not abiding by the law.
    Depending on the state, there is no sales tax.

15+ Year Old Account
    I pay 21% sales tax which most of the US can (for the most part) dodge.

That's why their hardware is considerably cheaper than anywhere else.
    I also know that there was a bill that almost passed that would force all online purchases to employ the local retailer sales tax.
    Which was quickly shot down due to outright opposition "because it's an online cross state purchase thus no sales tax damnit!".

I'm not saying you don't pay any other taxes or w/e but it is the leading reason why computer hardware is cheaper in the US.
    Especially considering that a lot of hardware is built in Europe but still cheaper in the US, that has nothing to do with bulk purchasing and more with those taxes.

10+ Year Old Account
    You think computer hardware is expensive on Europe? *sadly laughs*

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    You think computer hardware is expensive on Europe? *sadly laughs*
    Well yours is a combination of weak currency + taxes.
    The point is though that Americans are the last people that should bitch about the price.

I dare them to fuel up their Chevy and Dodge cars in Europe and see how they fare with fuel prices f.ex.

Deleted
    So basicly, we know have two Polaris threads...

Why wasn't this posted in the original Polaris tread.... -.-

10+ Year Old Account
    Intel has had $1,000 upper-tier CPUs now for the better part of a decade or more. And you should expect it and be okay with it - it's for enthusiasts, not just gamers. It's for people who money is nearly not an object to, people who will likely make money with their computers.
    Over a decade ago most people had enough common sense to point and laugh at Intel's $1k CPUs. Especially during the Pentium 4 era with "Extreme Edition". And the only differences were the extra cache and slightly higher clock speed which barely registered higher performance. AMD chips were just as fast, and sometimes faster for a fraction of the cost.

Nowadays that isn't the case. A $1k CPU from Intel has 8-10 cores which for multi-threaded applications can be a 100% to 150% increase in performance. But now we're seeing nearly $2k CPUs. Nobody should be OK with this.
    Only recently 10+ core CPUs are the norm for servers. Before, if you wanted another "core", you added another CPU. We now accept that anything beyond 4 cores is server or workstation grade CPU. This shouldn't be the case. We should be seeing 8 or 10 core CPUs for $200-$300, but Intel is able to push the market into this mindset and el oh el, here we are thinking that 8-10 cores is for servers.

But we know why, because AMD's Bulldozers failed to compete. Nvidia is already trying to pass $1k GPUs as normal, because they too have market dominance. Though their situation is difference since AMD GPUs are actually doing fairly well in performance. So much so that Nvidia took the Titan X and reduced it to a 980 Ti. Essentially taking a $1k-$2k graphics card and reducing it to $600. This is because of AMD's R9 390X. Just like how AMD's FX 8350 keeps the i5 CPUs around $200-$250. Though it's starting to become irrelevant due to age, and why newer Skylake i5's are creeping up in price.
    But don't act like Intel hasn't always charged an arm and a leg for the Enthusiast-grade CPUs, they have. i7-990X! Go look it up. It was a $1,000 CPU.
    So did Nvidia's Titan X cost too damn much. If your business requires the faster CPU, cause time is money, then you buy it regardless of price. But for the rest of us, we just want computer hardware to evolve. As time goes on, computers should be getting faster and cheaper. With Intel, it seems to be getting slightly faster, and slightly more expensive.

But again, the market will respond eventually. If AMD's Zen won't compete with Intel, eventually a desktop ARM cpu will. The same goes for Nvidia's GPUs, except AMD did respond, and barely.