Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    If i'm not misstaken the plan, when they first brought it up, wasn't for the player to unlock every trait within a couple of weeks but rather late into first tier of raiding or even later. Now i don't have a source for this but i believe something along those lines were mentioned during Blizzcon.

Unless Blizzard's changed their mind from the 1-3 months to fully upgrade an Artifact I wouldn't worry too much.

Main thing I'm worried about is doing it on alts. If it requires max level to increase Artifact Knowledge, that implies you'd have to get every character you want to play to max-level ASAP to fully take advantage of increases, rather than what I originally thought, where they'd just system-wide increase AP gains every month or so game-wide.

Who knows, maybe that island of elites have rewards of 500-1000 artifact points per mob you kill? Or maybe when Thal'dranath comes out in patch the quests and rewards are massive percentage gains, etc. Otherwise lots of grinding and lots of luck.

7+ Year Old Account
    The artifact replaces the MoP/WoD style legendary...it's supposed to take you until the final tier is released before you max it out

Quote Originally Posted by Speshil View Post
    They did mention that it will take up to three months to max out Artifacts, and their power will "continue to grow afterwards" i.e. pretty much never maxed out like the Diablo 3 Paragon system.

Mein guess is that each artifact's generic "deal 0.5% more damage" (DPS) or "gain 1% Armor" (Tank) traits with 20 ranks will be almost unreachable, plus some Legendary grind which is sad and alt-unfriendly.

Modern games like MOBAs and Overwatch are successful because people can access any Class/champion they want at any time which removes a lot of balancing frustrations and keeps the games fresh.
    In Legion however, Devs push players into a single spec of one class because they want players to "stick with it" which is a terrible design choice as not only does it force players to play classes they get bored of or which get nerfed into the ground, but also withholds a lot of content and lore from other Classes or Specs.
    Well WoW is not a moba and its not a casual shooter. WoW is an MMORPG. The way you say "Modern" games comes off as incredibly smug.

Deleted
    Usually stick with 1 main for 1-2 months then branch out to alts. I'm a PvPer so that's how I intend to level my artifact mostly. I'm fine with it taking 2-3 months but playing alts I think will be a pain to catch up, especially if wanting to level all 3 specs.

I think they should work on making it more alt-friendly. They surely want people to experience all content they create, right? Playing from the perspective of another class surely can be considered content so hopefully the % gain from research is increased more than it currently is.

Quote Originally Posted by Caligs View Post
    The artifact replaces the MoP/WoD style legendary...it's supposed to take you until the final tier is released before you max it out
    You cannot max out the weapon. It is an infinite, unobtainable goal. Alt specs and alt characters will suffer because of it.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Using the artifact calculator it's 1,276,585 to max the Marksman artifact.

Assuming you find the perfect spot to farm and 1 in 10 mobs drops an Artifact upgrade item. You will average 25 artifact power per item. Note: They have values from 5 to 250 with rarity pushing most to 5,10 or 20 in value. Assuming you could kill 1 mob every 30 seconds. 1,276,585 / 2 / 25 = 25,532 minutes of farming.

My guess is based on that you shouldn't worry too much over 22 talent points about your weapon. At that point the amount becomes exponentially more difficult to get the next point. At 22 talent points, you will have a decently powered item.
    Last edited by Youn; 2016-06-09 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goshko View Post
    Looks like the same progression as before. level 1 was 1% (but didn't show), 2 was 10%. Please let us know how much is it when you hit 3.
    Update: Got to level 3 today, AP gains are increased by 40% (UI says 140%). I also got part 2 on my artifact lore stories (didn't get one at level 2).

Deleted
    so I haven't played the beta for several months now, but what is stopping people from just hoarding artifact power and then just using them after a few weeks to get ahead of everyone? it's not like you'll need traits etc to be able to do mythic dungeons on release if you're semi competent.

Guarantee you this leads to RL deaths. People do not know how to quit grinding (until actually done).

Quote Originally Posted by Speshil View Post
    They did mention that it will take up to three months to max out Artifacts, and their power will "continue to grow afterwards" i.e. pretty much never maxed out like the Diablo 3 Paragon system.

Mein guess is that each artifact's generic "deal 0.5% more damage" (DPS) or "gain 1% Armor" (Tank) traits with 20 ranks will be almost unreachable, plus some Legendary grind which is sad and alt-unfriendly.

Modern games like MOBAs and Overwatch are successful because people can access any Class/champion they want at any time which removes a lot of balancing frustrations and keeps the games fresh.
    In Legion however, Devs push players into a single spec of one class because they want players to "stick with it" which is a terrible design choice as not only does it force players to play classes they get bored of or which get nerfed into the ground, but also withholds a lot of content and lore from other Classes or Specs.
    my guess their decision has a lot to do with all that vanilla nonsense we seen for last couple of months - its basickly their "you want to reexperience how shitty vanila was with its grind and attunements ? well here you go " to shut up thse discussions for future when community realises that stuff liek that has no place for current playerbase.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Saiona View Post
    Well WoW is not a moba and its not a casual shooter. WoW is an MMORPG. The way you say "Modern" games comes off as incredibly smug.
    those "modern games" have also a playerbase that wow could only dream for so they must be doin something better dont you think ?

Quote Originally Posted by Zephostopkek View Post
    so I haven't played the beta for several months now, but what is stopping people from just hoarding artifact power and then just using them after a few weeks to get ahead of everyone? it's not like you'll need traits etc to be able to do mythic dungeons on release if you're semi competent.
    The boost from Artifact Knowledge only applies to newly-earned AP consumables from repeatable sources (world quests, world drops, and random dungeon rewards). For example, with the 40% boost I have now, if I was sitting on a 100 AP consumable it would still give 100 AP. If I was holding a quest that rewards a 100 AP consumable, that also won't see an increase. However, if there was a world quest that gives a 100 AP consumable, I would get 140 AP from that.

The consumable tooltip also updates, so you always know what you're getting.

They said it should take about 3-4 month to max out your main spec artifact (On Live) ... but that's probably for someone who play less than 10 hours / week. As a raider who play regularly, I guess it will take approximately 2 month for your first weapon. After that, you will have lots of artifact knowledge and your off-spec/alt will most likely take less than 1 month to max out.
    Last edited by DarkBlade6; 2016-06-12 at 08:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    my guess their decision has a lot to do with all that vanilla nonsense we seen for last couple of months - its basickly their "you want to reexperience how shitty vanila was with its grind and attunements ? well here you go " to shut up thse discussions for future when community realises that stuff liek that has no place for current playerbase.

- - - Updated - - -

those "modern games" have also a playerbase that wow could only dream for so they must be doin something better dont you think ?
    I think those games you are talking about are League of Legends and Counter-Strike. Both are pretty awful communities. I played season 1 -4 of LoL the playerbase is cancer. CSgo I still play but is full of hackers and most of the players are mad shit talkers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    Yup it's just shit to keep us feeling like we have to stay subscribed. I hope it backfires on them in the end.
    In the end, that's the basic economic goal of any content in the game. You're essentially hoping that the game is shit.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    In the end, that's the basic economic goal of any content in the game. You're essentially hoping that the game is shit.
    Almost sounds like they have a game with a subscription model, are a business, and plan on making the biggest profit possible. I was shockingly shocked by being shocked by this shocking turn of events.. kappa. Some people, like the one you replied to, really fucking surprise me sometimes. Wishes for a shit game without anything to do. Doesn't understand what the point of business is. Then when it is all over would likely whine about nothing to do and dead game. Fucking hilarious.
    Last edited by Low Hanging Fruit; 2016-06-12 at 10:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    oh look at that, something that isn't supposed to be maxed/completed in the first month of an expansion, whoda thunk that then

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cien View Post
    oh look at that, something that isn't supposed to be maxed/completed in the first month of an expansion, whoda thunk that then
    This is an outrage, i DEMAND to be able to do everything in the first 4 weeks then in week 5 i feel entitled to bitch on the forums over lack of content

/s
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

By playing the game.
    I know, fucking cool right?!