Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shady View Post
    Look at this video u'll understand better how VFX works I don't know if ILM works different but usually they have a contract for X amount of money
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgSPys9PatU
    For the stuff that they've built it's different you don't know exactly how much it'll cost you have models then test materials colors and so on so it can be much expensive not cheaper
    I don't think you can find the exact numbers
    Ok, thx and nvm

Quote Originally Posted by Tempguy View Post
    I always wonder why fans of this are so against it being anything like LOTR. When people think of fantasy done right, they think of those films.

Why would you be against that? Would you rather be closer to Dungeons and Dragons?
    Warcraft is very unique and different from LotR. Many films copied LotR after their sucess, like Narnia, and Golden compass. If Warcraft did that, it will lose a lot of it's defining characteristics. That would make warcraft very generic. You may not like this filme, but it is far from generic. It is very unorthodox actually. From a narrative standpoint, Warcraft works on all shades of gray while LotR is very black and white. Characters in LotR are regular people doing heroic acts. Warcraft characters are more like comic book super heroes. Warcraft has a very specific aesthetics, LotR is very classical, Warcrafts has other more modern influences. If you want to be true to Warcraft, you can't just copy LotR. Doesn't mean you can't make a Warcraft film as good as LotR.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Faier View Post
    Characters in LotR are regular people doing heroic acts. Warcraft characters are more like comic book super heroes.
    Hold on, though. Comic book heroes are regular people doing heroic acts. Since when are comic book characters these morally grey creatures you (and others) are claiming them to be?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    Because they know that it's worse than LotR and think they can avoid admitting it (to themselves and everyone else) by saying they're not comparable.
    V for Vendetta and Deadpool. Two comic book anti-heroes movies, one dark with a strong political message, other just plain-4th wall breaking trollage to maximum. I love both movies and yet I can't compare them besides the fact that both are comic book anti-heroes movies.

Do I think Warcraft is 10/10? No, it's a clean 7/10. And LotR is an absolute 10/10 (reason why I cheared for every single Oscar in the Return of the King night). But fantasy can't be compared just to one single trilogy nor it should.

- - - Updated - - -

Hold on, though. Comic book heroes are regular people doing heroic acts. Since when are comic book characters these morally grey creatures you (and others) are claiming them to be?
    Watchmen, Age of Ultron, Guardians of the Galaxy, BvS, Deadpool, Civil War, upcoming Suicide Squad. Marvel started the morally grey genre back in the 60s and it's now jumping to the bigscreen.

EDIT: Forgot Ant-Man, the movie about a robber being contracted to rob something.
    Last edited by mmoc516e31a976; 2016-06-12 at 11:24 PM.

Because they know that it's worse than LotR and think they can avoid admitting it (to themselves and everyone else) by saying they're not comparable.
    Why don't we wait until the trilogy is concluded before making that assessment? They would have to try to fuck up Warcraft III.

Quote Originally Posted by Tornwar View Post
    THIS. Everyone seems to have forgotten how cheesy fantasy movie dialogue can be. Mostly because they have to talk about things that are out of this world!
    Yeah! Bit not only fantasy, Hollywood/Blockbuster films in general.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmahaffe View Post
    I guess your right...

"I AM NO MAWN, ARGHGHGHGHGH"

And dont forget how well explained everything is.

"The hour grows late and gandalf the gray rides to Isenguard seeking my council"

WHO THE FUCK IS YOU

"A Balrog, a demon"
    WHO THE FUCK IS YOU?

"A last alliance of men and elves"
    WHY THE LAST

"I wish I could muster up an army of dwarves"
    WHY NOT, WHERE THE FUCK ARE THEY.

In my book at least, for the 2 hours they had, they did far better than any of the lotr films did at explaining everything thing. Not as a trilogy, but as single entities.

I think you are being way to critical Vegas, if the lotr movies released today, they would get just as much hate as the hobbit or Warcraft did.
    haha. Ok, some of these aren't the best examples, but it seems like SOME people here are so used to read wikis that explain everything in the lore that they forget how story is told in film.

Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    I'm not against, but I grown in a decade where corny fantasy movies were pretty much everywhere (Conan, Neverending Story, Dark Crystal) and no one had a problem with that. Much like the superhero movies today. LotR isn't or shouldn't be the absolute model of fantasy movies.
    I agree with this I love those 80's fantasy movies. Legend, Krull, Labryinth, Willow as well.

Just got back from seeing it. The wife and I very much enjoyed it. I don't understand why it didn't do better. Everyone I've talked to like it as well. Looks like most of MMO-C approved of it too.

Regardless I can't see how this movie could've been done any better. My hats off for Duncan Jones for his hardwork and dedication. Unfortunately that won't pay his bills or get a decent sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmahaffe View Post
    I guess your right...

"I AM NO MAWN, ARGHGHGHGHGH"

And dont forget how well explained everything is.

"The hour grows late and gandalf the gray rides to Isenguard seeking my council"

WHO THE FUCK IS YOU

"A Balrog, a demon"
    WHO THE FUCK IS YOU?

"A last alliance of men and elves"
    WHY THE LAST

"I wish I could muster up an army of dwarves"
    WHY NOT, WHERE THE FUCK ARE THEY.

In my book at least, for the 2 hours they had, they did far better than any of the lotr films did at explaining everything thing. Not as a trilogy, but as single entities.

I think you are being way to critical Vegas, if the lotr movies released today, they would get just as much hate as the hobbit or Warcraft did.
    Don't forget--

"I'm sailing away!" ♫
    But.. why?
    /shrug

Most comic book heroes are special people in some way, they are not regular.
    I wasn't referring to comic books when i mentioned gray characters (even though some are, there are all kinds of them)., i was comparing LotR and Warcraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcries View Post
    Just got back from seeing it. The wife and I very much enjoyed it. I don't understand why it didn't do better. Everyone I've talked to like it as well. Looks like most of MMO-C approved of it too.

Regardless I can't see how this movie could've been done any better. My hats off for Duncan Jones for his hardwork and dedication. Unfortunately that won't pay his bills or get a decent sequel.
    I went with a group of six, my husband and I were the only ones who had ever touched a Warcraft game. Everyone loved it, and the ones unfamiliar with the lore said they can't wait until the next one so they can find out what happens next.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Lord of the Rings explained the important shit at the top of the first film. And the acting was in a different league. If you honestly didn't see the bad acting in Warcraft then I envy you. And the pacing sucks in the middle of the film.
    LOTR didn't bother to explain something as obvious as who the hell Sauron was. It was not a big deal though.

Quote Originally Posted by AndaliteBandit View Post
    I went with a group of six, my husband and I were the only ones who had ever touched a Warcraft game. Everyone loved it, and the ones unfamiliar with the lore said they can't wait until the next one so they can find out what happens next.
    It reminds me a lot of some of the early press talk before release, asking for a sequel as well. A lot of people unfamilier with the world is asking for the sequel.

A question... other than the supposedly $500m needed, wouldn't a damand for a sequel be a big part of it as well? Its often said about games. A lot of developers says that if there is demand for it, there might come a sequel. Would it be possible here too if we don't react $500m? I mean... imagine how angry a lot of people would be if they get told a sequel won't be possible... people wanna find out what happened to Go'el

As I absolutely agree with you, the unfortunate side is if a movie doesn't do very well money wise here in America the sequels either usually suck or don't happen at all. I'm very saddened to see my fellow Americans wouldn't go and watch this movie. It was very well done.

I've read all the books and I always said the Last Guardian would've been the best one for a movie adaptation. Duncan must have read my mind. I give the movie 9/10.

Quote Originally Posted by Faier View Post
    Warcraft is very unique and different from LotR. Many films copied LotR after their sucess, like Narnia, and Golden compass. If Warcraft did that, it will lose a lot of it's defining characteristics. That would make warcraft very generic. You may not like this filme, but it is far from generic. It is very unorthodox actually. From a narrative standpoint, Warcraft works on all shades of gray while LotR is very black and white. Characters in LotR are regular people doing heroic acts. Warcraft characters are more like comic book super heroes. Warcraft has a very specific aesthetics, LotR is very classical, Warcrafts has other more modern influences. If you want to be true to Warcraft, you can't just copy LotR. Doesn't mean you can't make a Warcraft film as good as LotR.
    Allow me to explain. When I say emulate, I don't me step by step. I mean it like... Joe do I explain?

Take game of thrones. Just tossing rape and bewbs would be trying to copy it step for step. I don't want that. What I want is a story that has real danger to main characters and maybe a bit of grey area vs the standard good vs evil.

That is what I mean. Lots of the rings told a story in a way that made you give a shit about Frodo. They didn't try and ran an entire world of random more in your face. It was there, but Frodo and his struggle was always the main journey.

From what all people tell me, Warcraft isn't about one particular character. At best, it's about orcs and their humanity and the clash with humans. Hard to relate to that.

So in my opinion, Warcraft would have been received better if they picked one or two characters and fleshed them out against the backdrop of the world. Who the Es about DALARAN and all these places? As mystical as they are, they are just places. Think Avatar. Pandora was great! But it was how the characters interacted with it and their journey that was the focus.

We cared about that disabled guy, the blue girl, and their culture clashing and how they will deal with that. I don't see that being addressed even by people who loves the movie.

The movie should have been about a couple main characters. Not the world they live in and some war that no one watching has stakes in. The reason people are excited for bastardbowl is cause they have feelings for Jon and Ramsay. The reason people cared about the war in avatar is cause they cared about the main characters. The reason people cared about the battle in the lord of the rings is cause they cared for the characters. The Balrog is inconsequential. It was just a cool looking foe. The real spectacle was Gandalf and his "you shall not pass!"

That is what I mean when I say copy what works. Who cares if Azeroth falls? People care if their favorite character wins or loses.

Quote Originally Posted by jdbond592 View Post
    LOTR didn't bother to explain something as obvious as who the hell Sauron was. It was not a big deal though.
    Or the significance of Boromir. Those who were unfamiliar with LoTR lore were left wondering why it's so drawn out and overdramatic that some guy who showed up halfway through the movie is getting killed by some trash mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Why don't we wait until the trilogy is concluded before making that assessment? They would have to try to fuck up Warcraft III.
    Warcraft III wont be part of the trilogy. Probably.

Also, yeah, we could wait to see if it'll get better before comparing them. But, usually, movies don't get appreciably better if they're sequels.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    Watchmen, Age of Ultron, Guardians of the Galaxy, BvS, Deadpool, Civil War, upcoming Suicide Squad. Marvel started the morally grey genre back in the 60s and it's now jumping to the bigscreen.
    You're right. What I usually imagine when I think of comic book characters is Spiderman, Superman, Batman and all the other older (theatrically) superheroes that are boring in that they're not morally grey at all, mostly because those are the first types which made it to the screen.
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2016-06-13 at 12:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    You're adorable and clearly very salty that Warcraft is such a B movie level offering. Get over it.

- - - Updated - - -

And there are plenty of critics who gave it a 6 or better.
    Thanks, I am very adorable
    And it's not salt, it's humor

I don't care what other people think of the movie to much, but I will say why I disagree.

I also don't see how any of the lotr movies on there own are much better than Warcraft, I think it's just nostalgia.
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.

So I just saw it, and it's average. It's not as terrible as people say, but it's not overly good, either. The film definitely suffers from pacing problems, and it's really noticeable because there aren't too many movies I've seen in the past few years that do to this extent. It really reminded me of an '80s movie, from the outfits to the dialogue, even to the post-credits scene which took place right after the final shot without anything really there to break it up.

The CGI for the most part was pretty good. I stopped caring that the live-action looked out of place next to almost everything else after a while, but that dialogue. Man, that was pretty rough. I enjoyed some of the humor, though, especially some parts I'm sure weren't meant to be overly funny but earned a chuckle. Overall, I'd say it had more negatives than positives, mostly in figuring out what kind of movie it wanted to be while not straying too far from standard fantasy tropes, which leaves it with no real identity of its own. I'm gonna say it's about a 4 or 4.5 out of 10. It could've been a lot better, but it probably should've been way worse.