Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

What I believe artifact weapons SHOULD have been.

I'll be blunt, I don't like the idea of artifact weapons. I don't like the idea that everyone is going to be running around with the same weapons. I am aware there are different skins, but not more than 4-6 per weapon. Some will never get used because they are terrible, but even then the variation is going to be very, very limited. Not to mention that fact that it is just an awful lore travesty, in a world where we didn't need more destroyed lore.

What would have been a far better implementation of this system would have been the ability to forge our own new weapon, using essence or pieces of the current artifacts. We would be given the option during forging to adjust how the hilt looks, how the blade looks, how the handguard is designed, what type of weapon it is, a variety of colours, ect. Ultimately, we would have also been able to give it a name of our own choosing. Or at least, a template of options for names, like a list of prefixes and suffixes, and then connecting words if necessary (to prevent people from just calling it "Big black dildo"). They could have been implemented the exact same way, with a true feeling of custimization and the weapon having been forged for us.

I am a bit surprised that artifacts aren't getting the lashback that Garrisons got, but perhaps Garrisons didn't start getting hate until after people realized what they were. This system, in its current design, is going to end up the same way. Its going to be, ultimately, boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcsaar View Post
    I'll be blunt, I don't like the idea of artifact weapons. I don't like the idea that everyone is going to be running around with the same weapons. I am aware there are different skins, but not more than 4-6 per weapon. Some will never get used because they are terrible, but even then the variation is going to be very, very limited. Not to mention that fact that it is just an awful lore travesty, in a world where we didn't need more destroyed lore.

What would have been a far better implementation of this system would have been the ability to forge our own new weapon, using essence or pieces of the current artifacts. We would be given the option during forging to adjust how the hilt looks, how the blade looks, how the handguard is designed, what type of weapon it is, a variety of colours, ect. Ultimately, we would have also been able to give it a name of our own choosing. Or at least, a template of options for names, like a list of prefixes and suffixes, and then connecting words if necessary (to prevent people from just calling it "Big black dildo"). They could have been implemented the exact same way, with a true feeling of custimization and the weapon having been forged for us.

I am a bit surprised that artifacts aren't getting the lashback that Garrisons got, but perhaps Garrisons didn't start getting hate until after people realized what they were. This system, in its current design, is going to end up the same way. Its going to be, ultimately, boring.
    Just because you wanted something else doesn't mean Artifact weapons are bad. Everyone ended up using the same weapons before anyway, at least this way the weapons we are all using are actually interesting and have some kind of progression behind them.
    Beta Club Brosquad

You can transmog the weapons

You think artifact weapons are cool. Fine. That doesn't make them a good idea. Custom-forged weapons would have had the exact same progression, and it would have been far more meaningful and impactful than just using the same artifact as everyone else.

And yes I know you can transmog, by giving people the choice between artifact-looking designed weapons, or some run-of-the-mill transmog from a previous xpac, there really isn't a choice.
    Last edited by Alcsaar; 2016-06-13 at 01:19 AM.

I won't respond to the first reply because its pointless, you think artifact weapons are cool. Fine. That doesn't make them a good idea.

And yes I know you can transmog, by giving people the choice between artifact-looking designed weapons, or some run-of-the-mill transmog from a previous xpac, there really isn't a choice.
    I don't understand why you wouldn't respond to it. There is a point. The point is that the system we are getting is better than what we've had. Just because it isn't what you wanted doesn't make it bad.
    Beta Club Brosquad

Quote Originally Posted by Deathquoi View Post
    I don't understand why you wouldn't respond to it. There is a point. The point is that the system we are getting is better than what we've had. Just because it isn't what you wanted doesn't make it bad.
    That is entirely opinion based. I don't see anything better about this system compared to what we have. In fact, I think it makes it worse, as now everyone will literally by using the same weapons, with no variety at all.

And I did respond to him, I simply meant I wasn't going to go deep down that path of arguement, since it was entirely opinion based.

My explanation of how the artifact system should have worked is a far better implementation that what they did. It allows more flexibility, giving people a choice of the type of weapon they want to use, and also not downplaying the greatness these artifact weapons are supposed to hold while still allowing them the new system of progression that artifacts promise. There is nothing worse about my idea, it is simply better.
    Last edited by Alcsaar; 2016-06-13 at 01:22 AM.

I won't respond to the first reply because its pointless, you think artifact weapons are cool. Fine. That doesn't make them a good idea. Custom-forged weapons would have had the exact same progression, and it would have been far more meaningful and impactful than just using the same artifact as everyone else.

"He does not agree with me so he is just plain wrong" That's what I got from that response

Custom-forged weapons would have had the exact same progression, and it would have been far more meaningful and impactful than just using the same artifact as everyone else.
    Custom forged weapons were never even a thing that was being considered, so I'm not sure what difference your vision for a system you made up in your head makes.
    Beta Club Brosquad

15+ Year Old Account
    That is entirely opinion based. I don't see anything better about this system compared to what we have. In fact, I think it makes it worse, as now everyone will literally by using the same weapons, with no variety at all.

And I did respond to him, I simply meant I wasn't going to go deep down that path of arguement, since it was entirely opinion based.
    Everyone already uses the same weapons which is what ever is best for them so that point is null

Quote Originally Posted by narendal94 View Post
    "He does not agree with me so he is just plain wrong" That's what I got from that response
    That's what it seems.
    My rogue RIP 2004-2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    No they don’t learn and evidence suggests that. Behavior also doesn’t change and if there is any hope of learning behavior has to change.

Not meaningless declarations easy to say after he regrets offering up evidence he’s a racist.

You mean no variety except the skin, the color or even the fact that you can indeed transmog the weapon if you want? That's actually more variety than now.

Right now, you have a BiS. You can transmog it but you cannot change its skin or its color. From my point of view, it's better not worse.

It's basically about the same number of relevant weapons as in normal expansions. Only real problem I can see with them is that specs are rail-roaded into using certain weapon types for this expansion.

My explanation of how the artifact system should have worked is a far better implementation that what they did. It allows more flexibility, giving people a choice of the type of weapon they want to use, while still allowing them the new system of progression that artifacts promise. There is nothing worse about my idea, it is simply better.
    But it doesn't matter because they never considered what you are proposing. It's like saying "it would be better if rain was actually whiskey, therefore rain is crap". It just means absolutely nothing.

The artifact system is objectively better than what we had. Everyone was already using the same weapons because there were only a handful of weapons/weapon models created for each expansion.
    Beta Club Brosquad

Quote Originally Posted by Twy View Post
    You mean no variety except the skin, the color or even the fact that you can indeed transmog the weapon if you want? That's actually more variety than now.

Right now, you have a BiS. You can transmog it but you cannot change its skin or its color. From my point of view, it's better not worse.
    The difference being that the true BIS weapon would have come from higher-difficulty raiding, which not everyone does. EVERYONE will have the same weapon. The EXACT SAME. There will be no tiers of progression, just from the simple get go, even before max level, everyone is going to be using the exact same weapon. There were, previously, multiple versions of the "best in slot" weapon for a spec, depending on how far your guild got raiding. That is no longer the case.

A guild that could clear 100% of a mythic raid, or whatever, would have the absolute best in slot weapons, but a guy from a guild that was only 50% mythic content cleared, would be using a different mythic weapon as best in slot, because they couldn't currently get the true "best in slot" weapon. That is the difference here.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soeroah View Post
    It's basically about the same number of relevant weapons as in normal expansions. Only real problem I can see with them is that specs are rail-roaded into using certain weapon types for this expansion.
    I can agree to this and least they ended up seeing this and trying to make some of the weapons have different unlockable weapon types

- - - Updated - - -

The difference being that the true BIS weapon would have come from higher-difficulty raiding, which not everyone does. EVERYONE will have the same weapon. The EXACT SAME. There will be no tiers of progression, just from the simple get go, even before max level, everyone is going to be using the exact same weapon. There were, previously, multiple versions of the "best in slot" weapon for a spec, depending on how far your guild got raiding. That is no longer the case.
    No their base weapon will just look the same and even then they wont stay looking the same because of the unlockable skins from mythic pvp ect ect they will also not be the same due to relics which fill the same role you describe.
    Last edited by Firatha; 2016-06-13 at 01:29 AM.
    My rogue RIP 2004-2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    No they don’t learn and evidence suggests that. Behavior also doesn’t change and if there is any hope of learning behavior has to change.

Not meaningless declarations easy to say after he regrets offering up evidence he’s a racist.

Don't most people end up using the same weapons anyway? I mean there's always a BiS weapon. By the end of a tier or a expansion you see thousands of Mages running around with the staff from Archimonde, thousands of warriors/ret pally's, DKs running around with the 2h sword, Hunters with the crafted gun, etc etc.... then they just mog it to look like something else. True, I think totally crafting our own weapon would have been cool as hell, but unless they came up with 1k different blades, 1k different guards and pommels the odds are there's gonna be a lot of people with the same "unique" crafted weapon as well. Someone will find out what stats are prime to get from the crafted pieces or what looks the coolest and we all see people copy what looks cool. How many paladins have been in Judgement tier gear either yellow or the purple, hell how many dks or warriors are around running that set, then they all know the weapons that match that set and next thing you know you see your exact copy running past you in SW. Either way its the same, so if you don't like it.. mog it to so hideous looking weapon that has the slimmest chance of having its twin just down the street.

A guild that could clear 100% of a mythic raid, or whatever, would have the absolute best in slot weapons, but a guy from a guild that was only 50% mythic content cleared, would be using a different mythic weapon as best in slot, because they couldn't currently get the true "best in slot" weapon. That is the difference here.
    I'm pretty sure Mythic players will be slotting better relics into their weapons than everyone else.
    Beta Club Brosquad

10+ Year Old Account

Except the weapons would still look the same. BiS in normal is the same weapon as BiS in mythic just with better stats. What you're suggesting is a pipe dream and should really be framed as such rather than Blizzard being lazy.

I'm pretty sure you'll be able to unlock a nice skin for your Artifact by doing high-end PvE/PvP. The weapon ilvl being set by the relics you put in it, there will be tier progression.

10+ Year Old Account
    My explanation of how the artifact system should have worked is a far better implementation that what they did.
    i disagree. im looking forward to artifacts, much.. MUCH moreso than Garrisons back when they were first announced.

It allows more flexibility, giving people a choice of the type of weapon they want to use, and also not downplaying the greatness these artifact weapons are supposed to hold while still allowing them the new system of progression that artifacts promise.
    just because you dont think of yourself as a great player (in an rpg element) doesnt mean others dont. given all of the epic battles my character has been a part of, i believe she is absolutely well deserving of these weapons with rich story and growth to build a relationship with.

i quite like the idea of taking a weapon and becoming a part of its story throughout the expansion (and events), much more so than picking up a weapon of blandness and tossing it once i head off to the next raid (story arch).

There is nothing worse about my idea, it is simply better.
    and now we know why you are not a developer.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

Quote Originally Posted by Soeroah View Post
    That's really my only complaint about artifacts is that if I get a dagger, I'm stuck using daggers and I don't really like the way most daggers look.