Quote Originally Posted by spinner981 View Post
    That statement has no basis in reality. Where in the Bible does it say that Christians should hate black people?
    You're missing the point. The KKK feels there's a biblical basis for their hate. You disagree. ISIS feels they have a religious basis for their hate as well. And millions of Muslims disagree.

You don't have a lock on interpretation. What's happening here is that you're taking the side of ISIS on what Islam proscribes.

Quote Originally Posted by neocount View Post
    There are currently more guns than people in the United States. The last estimate in 2015 put the number at around 357 million guns.

Time to do a little math.

Firstly, since there are mass shootings involved, my next premise is false, but it should still illustrate the point well.

There were 53,270 gun related incidents in the United States in 2015 (Source: http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/past-tolls). Lets assume then that in each incident, a different gun was used. Again, I realize that the number of guns used in those incidents is most likely lower. Still, using that figure, that means that roughly 0.00015% (0.00014921568 rounded) of guns in America are being used for violent purposes.

The way the media reports these things, and the way people react to it, one would think that all we do in America is shoot each other - and that is simply not true. Most gun owners are responsible, law abiding citizens - and taking their guns away is not the solution. Particularly since, with today's technology, guns can be made at home with relative ease.
    I feel that this got lost in the fury of this thread racking up posts. As I didn't see anyone respond or even acknowledge it.

A very very minute portion of the population in America are using guns for violence. You shouldn't discriminate against the rest of us that don't

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    You're missing the point. The KKK feels there's a biblical basis for their hate. You disagree. ISIS feels they have a religious basis for their hate as well. And millions of Muslims disagree.

You don't have a lock on interpretation. What's happening here is that you're taking the side of ISIS on what Islam proscribes.
    You're right... millions disagree... in a religion with over 1.6 billion followers.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichifails View Post

Mmmmm-muh tolerance.
    In terms of politics, the repetitive nature of attacks done by people professing Islam, and then our leaders proclaim this is unrelated will make them look silly, even if what they are trying to do is good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Vbpx1dK.jpg[IMG]

Mmmmm-muh tolerance.
    Did you miss the twitter posts of good god-fearing americans saying the same thing, or does that not fit your agenda?

Mmmmm-muh tolerance.
    This, and and DO believe there are a lot of peaceful Muslims.. I just have a hard time believing they are the majority. And if they are, they are probably way to scared of the extremists to do any good on their own.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Houyi View Post
    he supports numerous groups, directly and indirectly who campaign against LGBT rights, quite strenuously.
    Even were that true, most of those people campaign against the edges of LGBT. They aren't campaigning against RIGHTS - using a bathroom or even getting married aren't "rights".

And, even if they were, there's a lot of difference between campaigning against rights and MASS MURDER. For example, opponents of women's suffrage weren't going around saying kill all women. Likewise, conservatives who oppose LGBT stuff in the US aren't advocating murder. Most of them don't want trans people using restrooms/changing rooms/showers, don't want "LGBT things" taught in schools as an alternative, and may even oppose gay marriage.

That's quite different than wanting to kill people. Even most anti-LGBT people in the US largely have a live and let live attitude when it comes to gays. They sort of tolerate them as a nuisance, that much is true, but they don't advocate killing them. I think the ultra-conservative view is that they just wish LGBTQ people would keep their preferences and activities quiet and not talk about it. Sort of like how ultra-liberals want everyone to be with religion...except ULTRA-left people would rather just force convert everyone to atheism.

But yeah, neither Trump, nor his supporters, nor any affiliated groups, direct or indirect, campaigning against LGBT "rights" or otherwise...has been advocating for killing LGBT people.

That's a jump too far to make logically.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post

What's happening here is that you're taking the side of ISIS on what Islam proscribes.
    There are such things as wrong interpretations. If you want to just throw your hands in the air and say that any and all interpretations are just as valid as any other, you're not going to get very far in this discussion past presenting your opinions as fact because X people feel one way and Y people feel a different way. If there is no such thing as being sure of an interpretation of anything, then communication between people wouldn't make sense.
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

There are such things as wrong interpretations. If you want to just throw your hands in the air and say that any and all interpretations are just as valid as any other, you're not going to get very far in this discussion past presenting your opinions as fact because X people feel one way and Y people feel a different way. If there is no such thing as being sure of an interpretation of anything, then communication between people wouldn't make sense.
    Yup. So maybe don't be so quick to tell other people what their faith is and requires. Especially ones you have as little experience with as Islam.

If we're going to post the "OMG MUSLIMS BAD TWITTERS" let's bring this one back from a few pages ago:

gotta love it when these people come out of the woodworks.

I believe there are peaceful Christians but I see this and I don't believe that such things could exist...

Let's not pretend nutters don't say shit on the internet on all sides.

How are they scoring mental-gymnastics this year? This thread has a lot of gold medal contenders.

If everyone could just stop using cherry picked twitter screenshots like they're an argument that'd be super nifty.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flavor View Post
    I truely wish people would not twist this into arguments for this party or another party. I live in Orlando and lost a good friend today and have another that is in critical condition. Cant we drop the arguments and have a moment for those lost today...
    Yeah, you're right. I have friends chattering about this on Facebook and I keep telling people the same thing. That at least we should bury the dead before people dance on their graves to make political points.

...it worked there about as well as here, I guess... <_<

Mmmmm-muh tolerance.

[Infracted]

Yeah..because muslims are the only people tweeting horrible things out, its not that hard to go through twitter and find something offensive

https://twitter.com/_JackNForTweets/...rc=twsrc%5Etfw

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    In terms of politics, the repetitive nature of attacks done by people professing Islam, and then our leaders proclaim this is unrelated will make them look silly, even if what they are trying to do is good.
    And how do you feel about the high number of Christians that have committed more mass shootings and murders?

Mmmmm-muh tolerance.

[Infracted]
    I think Endus missed the point of the post. Seriously why is this guy just able to infract stuff that he doesn't like, regardless of the rules being violated or not?

You're right... millions disagree... in a religion with over 1.6 billion followers.
    Yes because Christians are so tolerant of LGBT, It's not like this year alone they were passing laws infringing their rights or holding rallies praising people refusing to issue them marriage licenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracos854 View Post
    Yes because Christians are so tolerant of LGBT, It's not like this year alone they were passing laws infringing their rights or holding rallies praising people refusing to issue them marriage licenses.
    Not like one of two major parties in the US just spent the last several months painting trans people as child molesters in waiting or anything.

The fact that Muslims are not the only ones tweetting bad things doesnt exclude the fact that Mulsims are, in fact, tweeting bad things. It is obvious that there are bad people everywhere, it's the proportioin that is in question. And like i said, i do believe there are a lot of good Muslims, but if they are the majority, they are powerless against any extremists. And that IS different than bad people elsewhere, where we can freely talk them down without the risk of being shot or bombed. Or at least with an incredibly lower risk, compared to a good Mulsim trying to condemn the extremists actions.

7+ Year Old Account
    That statement has no basis in reality. Where in the Bible does it say that Christians should hate black people?
    Not necesarily against black people but in the bible there are many parts of the bible that can be justify racism. The "curse of ham" and if I recall properly Bob Jones argued that if God created different races then it was for a purpose and they should be maintaned as such. Also there are many passages that explicitly mention racism against other ethnic groups:
    “An Ammonite or Moabite shall not enter into the congregation of the LORD; even to their tenth generation shall they not enter into the congregation of the LORD for ever;” (Deuteronomy 23:3)

My point is, religious extremists gonna be extremists. So I think its unfair to generalize people's faith considering ISIS and groups as such are rejected by their own religion.
    Last edited by Bollocks; 2016-06-13 at 02:52 AM.