Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Warcraft Movie questions and lore changes

I just watched the Warcraft movie. While I did enjoy it, there were many changes that I didn't expect. I want to know if I got these things right.

Spoilers ahead (movie part on left, lore that I know on right):

-Garona falls in love with Anduin Lothar - now, I don't remember this happening in reality...
    -king Llane dies at the Dark Portal, defending civilians escaping through the Dark Portal to Stormwind, Garona stabs him as Llane tells her she can still survives if the orcs see her kill the human "warchief", otherwise they'd both die anyway - if I remember correct, in our reality, Llane died when Stormwind was sieged and Garona was somewhat mind-controlled by Gul'dan or something.
    -Anduin Lothar has a son, is younger than in books/in-game and his sister is Llane's wife - as far as I remember, none of this is mentioned in lore and he's older normally
    -Stormwind is not sacked, in fact at the end it's used as the place where all the leaders of the human kingdoms, Ironforge and Quel'thalas gather to plan the comeback - in our story, the First War ends with Stormwind being sacked and kind of destroyed, and the matters are discussed afterwards in the Capitol City of Lordaeron.
    -Dalaran is flying - Dalaran was not flying
    -Alodi is a female and kept in a box hidden by the Council of the Kirin Tor - Alodi is a male and dead, and while his spirit can be summoned, he's still dead
    -Medivh dies when a golem falls on him in the upper quarters of Kaharazan - Medivh is stabbed by Anduin Lothar in the underground upside down Kaharazan
    -Durotan tries to talk with the humans for a sort of mini-Alliance - this never happened
    -Durotan dies in a mak'gora with Gul'dan where Gul'dan cheats using fel magic - Durotan died with Draka while running, they were ambushed by Gul'dan's assassins
    -the Dark Portal is never properly opened, only a band of the most powerful orcs come in and that's it, it is opened partially at one point but for a very limited time - the Dark Portal is fully opened but the orcs decide to not all go at once, still they keep getting reinforcements and stuff
    -Gul'dan was the full leader of the orcs - Blackhand was the leader of the orcs as a puppet leader with Gul'dan being his master from the shadow
    -Orgrim Doomhammer is a Frostwolf - Orgrim Doomhammer was a Blackrock
    -Khadgar's age isn't "sucked" from him in the battle with Medivh - Medivh sucks Khadgar's life, leaving him an old man in body.
    -Anduin Lothar is challenged to a mak'gora by Blackhand and wins, killing him, and the other orcs cheer for him and Garona convinces Gul'dan to let him go so that he doesn't lose the support of the Horde - Anduin Lothar doesn't do that, Orgrim Doomhammer killed Blackhand by challenging him to a Mak'gora after Gul'dan falls into a coma when trying to extract informations from Medivh

As a side-idea, from the movie I realized most orcs don't give a shit about honor. I mean, Gul'dan cheated and except some Frostwolves, Durotan, Orgrimm and the 3 orcs that were pulverized, the others were like "you cheater" then went back to following him when he killed the 3 random orcs... even if they could have easily killed him if they had attacked him after that... but that shouldn't have even been a problem as this didn't even happen in our universe.

I liked the movie, but wanted to talk about these changes, what do you think of them?

10+ Year Old Account
    Garona had an affair with Medivh in the game-verse. She was pregnant with Med'an when she assassinated Llane.

Game-verse: Khadgar was Medivh's apprentice. WCU: Khadgar left the Kirin Tor.

Game-verse: Guardian is an empowered mage via the Council of Tirisfal. WCU: It's said to be just a title, implying no special empowerment.
    Last edited by Aquamonkey; 2016-06-11 at 03:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I will try to answer those I can and know. Obviously spoilers are to follow so be careful for those who haven't seen it yet:

1 - I actually liked the twist with King Llane's death here in the movie. Yes, ingame/canon he's assassinated by Garona while she is cursed/mindcontrolled(?) just before the siege of Stormwind. Unfortunatly that is a common solution to explain why people did bad stuff or became evil ingame, so I do prefer the movie version more.

2 - In lore Anduin Lothar is a much older man who is the king's right hand man and a member of a Brotherhood, additionally being from the Arathi(?) bloodline. They possibly ignored the later two ones so that people not familiar with the Warcraft universe doesn't get too much confused about the identity of Lothar. And as Chris Metzen once explained in BlizzCon, Lothar was portrayed as "uncorruptable, one dimensional man loyal to his king" in lore. Making him roughly the same age as the king and have a family could make him more appealing to the audience and also expand his character.

3 - I could be wrong here, but Dalaran is introduced in Warcraft 3 and is stationed on the ground when we first see it. If the mages had the capabilities to lift an entire city after it's being rebuilt from WC3, I don't see any reasons against why they wouldn't have a floating city before too. Like, they could lift and land whenever they wanted to.

All the other points involving Durotan, Draka and Orgrim were added later into the story as they did not exist during the making of Warcraft 1.

I personally enjoyed the movie and the changes it did, I'm hoping for a sequal to continue the story and hopefully improve the errors they did with the movie when it comes to the pacing and introduction of the characters and locations.

Deleted
    Problem with floating Dalaran is if they make 3rd war film they will have to leave it out/major lore change since Arthas raids it to steal something for summoning Archimonde who in turn destorys Dalaran with magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Elreckx View Post
    Problem with floating Dalaran is if they make 3rd war film they will have to leave it out/major lore change since Arthas raids it to steal something for summoning Archimonde who in turn destorys Dalaran with magic.
    The Scourge had frostwyrms. There's no reason he couldn't do an aerial raid followed by Archimonde bringing it crashing down to the ground.

Deleted
    I guess that would work if was Arthas and a bunch of Death Knights doing it since i cant see the frostwyrms carrying the bulk of the Scourge army up to Dalaran. I sort of want to see 3rd war film sort of dont since theres just so much stuff to cover Arthas path alone could take 2-3 films which im not sure they would do.

Quote Originally Posted by Elreckx View Post
    Unless Dalaran comes to the ground in WC2... only to go back up again later. Or it could even happen in WC3, maybe Arthas' actions causes it to land, followed by Arhcimonde destroying it whiles its on the ground.

Another change: Garona is half-human instead of half-draenei with Medivh being her father.

All of those instances were changes in the story and destroyed any enjoyment to be scrapped out of this movie. They were all extremely unnecessary and moronic...

Quote Originally Posted by Therougetitan View Post
    Another change: Garona is half-human instead of half-draenei with Medivh being her father.
    this wqas never actually mentioned, they only mentioned the part about her being half orc, i mean she stood there and talked to the draenei lol, she understood them, that alone means shes half draenei, they call her half breed and have never stated she was human, unless i missed it.

Deleted
    Wait what?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alwek View Post
    I will try to answer those I can and know. Obviously spoilers are to follow so be careful for those who haven't seen it yet:

1 - I actually liked the twist with King Llane's death here in the movie. Yes, ingame/canon he's assassinated by Garona while she is cursed/mindcontrolled(?) just before the siege of Stormwind. Unfortunatly that is a common solution to explain why people did bad stuff or became evil ingame, so I do prefer the movie version more.

2 - In lore Anduin Lothar is a much older man who is the king's right hand man and a member of a Brotherhood, additionally being from the Arathi(?) bloodline. They possibly ignored the later two ones so that people not familiar with the Warcraft universe doesn't get too much confused about the identity of Lothar. And as Chris Metzen once explained in BlizzCon, Lothar was portrayed as "uncorruptable, one dimensional man loyal to his king" in lore. Making him roughly the same age as the king and have a family could make him more appealing to the audience and also expand his character.

3 - I could be wrong here, but Dalaran is introduced in Warcraft 3 and is stationed on the ground when we first see it. If the mages had the capabilities to lift an entire city after it's being rebuilt from WC3, I don't see any reasons against why they wouldn't have a floating city before too. Like, they could lift and land whenever they wanted to.

All the other points involving Durotan, Draka and Orgrim were added later into the story as they did not exist during the making of Warcraft 1.

I personally enjoyed the movie and the changes it did, I'm hoping for a sequal to continue the story and hopefully improve the errors they did with the movie when it comes to the pacing and introduction of the characters and locations.
    I enjoyed the movie as well, except for 2 of the changes:
    -the Dark Portal remained closed - this sort of makes part of any future Horde incursions, that would happen in Warcraft 2, impossible
    -Blackhand's death with him challenging Lothar to a mak'gora, Lothar winning and strolling out... that instance made no sense to me.

Honorable mention: Stormwind(the city) not even being attacked, let alone sacked. Though I can understand that they might have wanted to finish the movie in a slightly positive note, yet I still expect it to be sacked if they make a second movie.

Quote Originally Posted by lolwhatadumbthread View Post
    this wqas never actually mentioned, they only mentioned the part about her being half orc, i mean she stood there and talked to the draenei lol, she understood them, that alone means shes half draenei, they call her half breed and have never stated she was human, unless i missed it.
    Knowing more than one language does not dictate racial background. Draka knows Draenei too in the Durotan novel that does not make her half-draenei. If I learned how to speak french that does not change my DNA unless I ate some really radioactive cheese while doing so.

Medivh hints at it in the movie. That he met a female from a strong proud race. That's why he seems affectionate towards Garona and gives her a flower because he nows she's his daughter. Him saying it directly was probably cut from the movie and will be added in the extended edition. All kind of odd since they had sex in the main universe but that's just one of the many changes.

t's in the official movie novel too he blatantly tells Moroes that Garona is her daughter.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    The easy answer is: There are no changes, as it's all going on in an alternate movie universe. As to what'll happen in the sequel based upon what happened in this movie, we can only guess.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Medivh hints at it in the movie. That he met a female from a strong proud race. That's why he seems affectionate towards Garona and gives her a flower because he nows she's his daughter. Him saying it directly was probably cut from the movie and will be added in the extended edition. All kind of odd since they had sex in the main universe but that's just one of the many changes.

t's in the official movie novel too he blatantly tells Moroes that Garona is her daughter.
    Also Jones mentions it in his interview with TradeChat:
    https://youtu.be/3ngojYD4L3I?t=95

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    I personally don't care about the changes even if some of them were downright worse or unnecessary.

But, if they do a next movie, I hope it is THE Second War and not some bastardised Second War in Stormwind against a small band of orcs (i.e. Gul'dan finds a way to open the portal again with Ner'zhul's help). I also hope it does not altogether skip the Second War and go directly to Arthas or, most likely given the ending, Green Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGamer030 View Post
    All of those instances were changes in the story and destroyed any enjoyment to be scrapped out of this movie. They were all extremely unnecessary and moronic...
    I couldn't agree more. I keep reading reviews about how Warcraft was made not for the casual audience but longtime fans and to me it missed on both marks. Also the fanservice additions like a random murloc under a bridge and polymorph to free Anduin were cheap laughs at best.

The birth of Thrall as a stillborn being revived by fel magic made me squirm in theatre right out of the gate. The movie is discombobulated as all hell, has terrible acting on the alliance side and zips around with seemingly no rhyme or reason. My fiancé was watching an interview with Garona's actor and mentions she's half human -half orc and thought she could get through acting out the Orcish language by a series of guttural grunts. The director also put out tweets saying "if you like it spread it around, if not it's just a movie" in so many words. It's been a movie in the making for a very long time and was obviously directed by someone who could care less about the lore and In my mind the actor selection was poor, especially khadgar.

To be honest I don't know how they could ever hope to venture into Warcraft lore on the big screen without starting with a brief background of the corruption of sargeras, escape of the draenai, manipulation of the orcs into the horde and genocide of the draenai. In my mind the series had to start there to give an intro of the legion and fall of the orcs into corruption (why they became the horde in the first place).

When asked what I thought about the movie I responded 'it was garbage' and I stick to that. It held glimmers of hope such as amazing visual scenes/ Orc cgi along with the connection between Durotan/Draka. I had zero emotional response to any other characters. They were lifeless and dull tbh. Alas the film that could have been so much more

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjignome View Post
    To be honest I don't know how they could ever hope to venture into Warcraft lore on the big screen without starting with a brief background of the corruption of sargeras, escape of the draenai, manipulation of the orcs into the horde and genocide of the draenai. In my mind the series had to start there to give an intro of the legion and fall of the orcs into corruption (why they became the horde in the first place).
    Why? The franchise went years without any of that stuff being established.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    The Scourge had frostwyrms. There's no reason he couldn't do an aerial raid followed by Archimonde bringing it crashing down to the ground.
    That would actually be much more awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjignome View Post
    I couldn't agree more. I keep reading reviews about how Warcraft was made not for the casual audience but longtime fans and to me it missed on both marks.
    The movie was made for the casual audience of Warcraft - people who know the names but not well enough to know the whole story. However that audience is very small compared to the other two, people with no knowledge of Warcraft and the hardcore fans.