Page 50 of 138 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I loved the movie, it's no Lord Of The Rings but it's true to the Warcraft spirit and I'd like to see more.

Probably one of the worst movies I've seen this year honestly. You can't get tickets refunded sadly
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Critically, the movie was a dud.

Domestically, the movie's performance in box offices has been completely unimpressive.

But its overseas cume has been record-breaking so it cannot be viewed as a total failure. We still do not know how much the Chinese bottom line will affect the movie's total performance but I'm sure we'll get clarification from the studio in coming weeks. I doubt they're disappointed with the film's overall performance but it still seems unlikely it will garner a sequel at this point.
    Critically, the movie was a dud, in America. And frankly, who cares about the opinion of someone from such a dysfunctional country?

Quote Originally Posted by Snakez View Post
    Well I found the movie fucking awesome. Some people really just hate on everything I guess.
    Or you've got bad taste in movies, either is just as likely.

I haven't seen it, but going off the trailers, the CGI isn't that good, and what is live action looks plastic at best. I might see it when it hits Redbox, but doubt I'd waste the money to go see it in theaters, even with their free game giveaway as an incentive. Give me a free copy of legion and maybe we'll talk.

Personally, I don't base the movie on the critic reviews, but the box office sales because at the end of the day, that's all that really matters. They're at $286 million made on it, so a little over half way to making back what they spent on it. Opening weekend in America was a downright poor showing, and I highly doubt we will ever see a sequel.

$286 million worldwide and already the 11th highest grossing movie of the year after one week. Not really a flop...

Worse movies have had more unnecessary sequels.

Quote Originally Posted by Degn89 View Post
    Critically, the movie was a dud, in America. And frankly, who cares about the opinion of someone from such a dysfunctional country?
    Uh, critics in nearly every market the film was released in panned it.

I don't agree with the critics myself but you can't discount the film's negative reviews as being "purely American" when it was almost universally disliked by all film critics.

After having seen the FX makeup and set pieces... I had serious reservations about Warcraft. I'm not surprised a bit about the final outcome.

They should have done a lot more with Garona's makeup. It looked like someone in bad Halloween paint.

I would have used more prosthetics, but kept her face very feminine.

For instance the brow area here...

And the costumes....they needed more grit to them... too clean.... too pristine.... Khadgar looked like a bad LARP player.

Don't get me started on the script.
    Last edited by Dolus; 2016-06-13 at 07:41 AM.
    "Plato is dear to me, but dearer still is truth." - Aristotle

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Derah View Post
    A common complaint from non-fan critics that I find highly hypocritical, is that there are "Too many names" to keep track of.

What? Lets count them up: Khadgar, Medivh, Llane, Lothar, Gul'dan, Orgrim, Durotan, Blackhand, Garona, Draka. That's 10 total major named characters.

Is that a lot now? Because Star Wars The Force Awakens had way more: Poe, Finn, Rey, BB-8, Kylo Ren, Snoke, Dux, Phasma, Kaz Manada, Han, Leia, Chewie. That's 12 named major characters, and that's not even counting the three dozen minor ones that show up for a scene or two.

Another critically acclaimed movie, The Matrix had just as many: Neo, Morpheus, Trinity, Smith, Dozer, Tank, Switch, Apoc, Mouse, Oracle. That's 10.

Another highly acclaimed movie, Lord of the Rings, for the sake of discussion lets just talk about the first one, Fellowship of the Ring. There's Frodo, Sam, Pippin, Merry, Gimli, Legolas, Gandalf, Aragorn, Boromir, Elrond, Galadriel, Sauron, Saruman, and Gollum. That's FOURTEEN named major characters to keep track of. And not one person bitching about there being too many names.

What's the common denominator here? In neither of these movies did I ever hear anyone saying "man, that's a lot of names to remember, I keep forgetting who's who".

But then 8 out of 10 reviews from the Warcraft movie whine about there being too many names.

Hypocrite much?
    Star Wars: Who's Dux? Phasma could have been replaced by any stormtrooper commander and wouldn't make a difference. Han, Leia, Chewie were already known and loved by the fans.
    Matrix: Was all about Neo, Morpheus, Trinity, Smith, Oracle (and the traitor guy can't remember what his name was). The rest were support cast.

On the other hand, you counting Blackhand and Draka on the important cast... nah.

Anyway, i can understand people saying too many, too unknown names. Those names mean something to us playing WoW for years (11y veteran here). For a clean slate viewer the movie is a mess of bloated cast, little history/plot support, rushed events. Don't misunderstand me, i personally enjoyed the movie, because i knew what was going on. But for WoW newbs, the movie can be easily seen as a disaster.

On the other hand, there are lore purists that hated the movie because of canon lore deviation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolus View Post
    After having seen the FX makeup and set pieces... I had serious reservations about Warcraft. I'm not surprised a bit about the final outcome.

They should have done a lot more with Garona's makeup. It looked like someone in bad Halloween paint.

-snip-

For instance...

Garona's "make up" was done entirely in post.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    That's a damn shame.
    "Plato is dear to me, but dearer still is truth." - Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by Icoblablubb View Post
    bias OP 5 reviwes .. 2 of them are just well .. stupid reviwes with battlefield comparison .. ya totally legit .. you are such a dellusional being .. these reviews mean nothing .. what counts are legit viewers not that paid pro critics
    Uh, no?
    How does people viewing the movie for the first time mean it's good?
    You don't know if it's good untill AFTER they've already viewed it.

If 2 million people watched it and all 2 million hate it, does that mean it was good because it had 2 million views?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dolus View Post

For instance the brow area here...

And the costumes....they needed more grit to them... too clean.... too pristine.... Khadgar looked like a bad LARP player.

Don't get me started on the script.
    Well, what should they look like then?
    The only real life comparison we have are halloween costumes and LARP'ers.
    What does a woman with "real" green skin look like?
    What does a young guy in a robe really look like?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2
    People who don't buy the deluxe edition should be permanently banned. I'm sick of playing with poor people.

Quote Originally Posted by Snakez View Post
    Well I found the movie fucking awesome. Some people really just hate on everything I guess.
    There are a lot of people with a hate crush on this movie and all things Warcraft or Blizzard related.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by roahn the warlock View Post
    This post was posted today, after pretty much the rest of the world but America seems to love the film. Soooooo. Research?
    Its the number 2 movie and still made 30 million it's opening weekend. That isn't a bad number, it isn't the most amazing launch ever, but it is far from failing or being a bad or hated movie just based on ticket sales.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Derah View Post
    A common complaint from non-fan critics that I find highly hypocritical, is that there are "Too many names" to keep track of.

What? Lets count them up: Khadgar, Medivh, Llane, Lothar, Gul'dan, Orgrim, Durotan, Blackhand, Garona, Draka. That's 10 total major named characters.

Is that a lot now? Because Star Wars The Force Awakens had way more: Poe, Finn, Rey, BB-8, Kylo Ren, Snoke, Dux, Phasma, Kaz Manada, Han, Leia, Chewie. That's 12 named major characters, and that's not even counting the three dozen minor ones that show up for a scene or two.

Another critically acclaimed movie, The Matrix had just as many: Neo, Morpheus, Trinity, Smith, Dozer, Tank, Switch, Apoc, Mouse, Oracle. That's 10.

Another highly acclaimed movie, Lord of the Rings, for the sake of discussion lets just talk about the first one, Fellowship of the Ring. There's Frodo, Sam, Pippin, Merry, Gimli, Legolas, Gandalf, Aragorn, Boromir, Elrond, Galadriel, Sauron, Saruman, and Gollum. That's FOURTEEN named major characters to keep track of. And not one person bitching about there being too many names.

What's the common denominator here? In neither of these movies did I ever hear anyone saying "man, that's a lot of names to remember, I keep forgetting who's who".

But then 8 out of 10 reviews from the Warcraft movie whine about there being too many names.

Hypocrite much?
    Completely fair to say it has too many names.
    I can tell the difference between Neo, Morpheus or Trinity.
    I can tell the difference between Han Solo, Kylo Ren and Chewie.
    I can tell the difference between Pippin, Merry, Frodo, Sam, Gandalf, Gimli, Legolas, Saruman. I could even tell the difference between most of the orcs in the movie.

In warcraft I could not tell the difference between most of the orcs, except maybe Durotan after a few minutes into the movie.
    Me and my friends still aren't clear which of the orcs was Blackhand. We assume it's the orc who lost a hand and then gained a claw, but considering he's called Blackhand and not Blackclaw, we're not sure.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    There are a lot of people with a hate crush on this movie and all things Warcraft or Blizzard related.

- - - Updated - - -

Its the number 2 movie and still made 30 million it's opening weekend. That isn't a bad number, it isn't the most amazing launch ever, but it is far from failing or being a bad or hated movie just based on ticket sales.
    You can't base a movie's popularity on ticket sales. Those people don't know wether the movie is good or bad when they buy the ticket, they only know after they've already seen it.

Every new superhero movie or action movie is breaking box office records. It's simply because more people are going to movies these days, not because the movies are better.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thetruth1400 View Post
    Or you've got bad taste in movies, either is just as likely.

I haven't seen it, but going off the trailers, the CGI isn't that good, and what is live action looks plastic at best. I might see it when it hits Redbox, but doubt I'd waste the money to go see it in theaters, even with their free game giveaway as an incentive. Give me a free copy of legion and maybe we'll talk.

Personally, I don't base the movie on the critic reviews, but the box office sales because at the end of the day, that's all that really matters. They're at $286 million made on it, so a little over half way to making back what they spent on it. Opening weekend in America was a downright poor showing, and I highly doubt we will ever see a sequel.
    Wrong.
    The reviews are what matters, because those people have already seen the movie.
    People who have just bought the ticket have not seen it yet, so those numbers don't mean anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2
    People who don't buy the deluxe edition should be permanently banned. I'm sick of playing with poor people.

It wasn't a bad movie but far from a good one in my opinion. The pacing was all over the place, what it feels like to have ADHD I would imagine and the story wasn't much to brag about. I would imagine it would be somewhat confusing for people not familiar with the game and the character building could've used some work.

Visually it was amazing though and the action scenes were mostly great, but a movie need so much more than pretty things to look at, it needs substance. I'd rate it 4-5/10.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2 View Post
    In warcraft I could not tell the difference between most of the orcs, except maybe Durotan after a few minutes into the movie.
    Me and my friends still aren't clear which of the orcs was Blackhand. We assume it's the orc who lost a hand and then gained a claw, but considering he's called Blackhand and not Blackclaw, we're not sure.
    I guess the name can be confusing for a 5 year old, but if you can't tell which orc is the secondary antagonist, then maybe try watching the movie with your eyes open next time?

Deleted
    Not sure if serious, a 5 year old could of worked that one out.

7+ Year Old Account
    We assume it's the orc who lost a hand and then gained a claw, but considering he's called Blackhand and not Blackclaw, we're not sure.
    Yeah I guess the charred black hand of Blackhand hasn't got enough screentime to let everyone know who Blackhand is. Perhaps they should have given Blackhand the most intimdating look next to Gul'dan, or have his name dropped several times in the movie while he was in the picture.

I can tell the difference between Han Solo, Kylo Ren and Chewie.
    Now, thats an accomplishment.

I saw it yesterday and I liked it. Feels a bit rushed at the beginning, but that scene with the murloc mwrlrlrlrl touched my heart.

hard to find anything redeeming qualities about this movie.How anyone could lie and say this movie is well made or entertaining is beyond me. It felt like they were trying to stuff as much as they could into the allotted time frame without any regard to quality lol. I really wanted to like it but, all i got out of it was a butchered story with bad narration and visuals that looked like someone superimposed a bunch of bad cgi images over actors wearing bad costumes. Chris metzen should be ashamed for letting this thing see the light of day

just to make it clear, I did not like this movie nor do i wish for a sequel