Deleted
    Ok guys, I just want to say something.

No matter what you do, it's impossible to please everyone.

For example, LOTR movies are considered a masterpiece by most of us, but I know a lot of people who don't like them, whether because they are too long, or because they don't like the Fantasy genre and only watch realistic movies.

Critics gave 8-9/10 to films like Gravity and Cabin In The Woods, but to me they are some of the worst movies I've ever seen in my life, and trust me, I've seen a lot.

Everyone loves Skyrim, but I don't. I found it so boring that I couldn't even finish the main storyline (and yes, I know there are mods).

A band releases a new album? Some people will say it's the best ever made while others will bash it saying it's shit because it's not as good as the previous ones.

... I could go on with more examples for days.

Eventually you need to understand that it's all subjective. There is always going to be someone that likes what others don't, and vice versa. If you didn't like the Warcraft movie that's fine, everyone is free to have their own taste. But I wouldn't call it a failure, it's already the 4th highest grossing video game movie of all times and will probably get to #1 by the time it exits theaters. It's also the video game movie with the highest audience score on IMDB, Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes. And before you call fanboys, remember that every franchise has them (check out the 10s of BvS, Civil War or any other superhero movie on IMDB) and that there are also lots of haters (they actually started to give Warcraft 1 before fanboys gave it 10). Actually, the more something is popular, the more haters it has.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    The LotR trilogy was spectacular in every sense and there's no debate on that, but there's also a lot of nostalgia issues on the matter.
    Well, sure, there's a lot of nostalgia. But, I remember watching those movies dozens of times before I even turned 12 which is when I started playing Warcraft. I did that for a reason. I remember how I felt watching LotR. Any of the movies, really, but mostly the latter two. It's this epic, bone-chilling feeling. And it's not just LotR. It's Avatar. It's Kingdom of Heaven. It's god damn Alexander, which is a horrendous movie. And yet it has that feeling.

None of that is an objective criticism, of course. But, speaking personally, it was a major downpoint for me when watching Warcraft. I felt a bit of it when Gul'Dan soul-drained all those Draenai, but that was pretty much it. It happened at the start, so it feels disappointing when it doesn't happen again later. Any epic has to have this, in my book. I think Warcraft fails on it a bit is because of the pacing. Many scenes don't even give you enough time to immerse yourself in it before they cut it off.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    Well, sure, there's a lot of nostalgia. But, I remember watching those movies dozens of times before I even turned 12 which is when I started playing Warcraft. I did that for a reason. I remember how I felt watching LotR. Any of the movies, really, but mostly the latter two.
    This movie was designed to be the intro to the world and a set up for a series. Just like the fellowship of the ring, which you also happened to feel had less "Epic" feels to it Seems pretty on Par.

Had the opportunity to watch the movie with my wife Yesterday. Theater was packed. I really enjoyed the movie, especially the vistas of familiar places that i've always enjoyed. My wife only has Warcraft experience via being my Hearthstone gold farmer (she loves completing the daily quests, and I won't complain ). I spent about 10 minutes giving her the premise of the lore from Warcraft: Orcs and Humans and I think she might've enjoyed the movie even more than I did. She loved how the Murloc in the transition scene made the same sound as the murlocs from Hearthstone. Those little things bring a movie to life.

I'd give it a solid 7/10 for feeling a little rushed, but I really hope they end up coming out with an extended edition, as I can see that easily making it a 9/10 movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedhoven View Post
    Ok guys, I just want to say something.

No matter what you do, it's impossible to please everyone.

For example, LOTR movies are considered a masterpiece by most of us, but I know a lot of people who don't like them, whether because they are too long, or because they don't like the Fantasy genre and only watch realistic movies.

Critics gave 8-9/10 to films like Gravity and Cabin In The Woods, but to me they are some of the worst movies I've ever seen in my life, and trust me, I've seen a lot.

Everyone loves Skyrim, but I don't. I found it so boring that I couldn't even finish the main storyline (and yes, I know there are mods).

A band releases a new album? Some people will say it's the best ever made while others will bash it saying it's shit because it's not as good as the previous ones.

... I could go on with more examples for days.

Eventually you need to understand that it's all subjective. There is always going to be someone that likes what others don't, and vice versa. If you didn't like the Warcraft movie that's fine, everyone is free to have their own taste. But I wouldn't call it a failure, it's already the 4th highest grossing video game movie of all times and will probably get to #1 by the time it exits theaters. It's also the video game movie with the highest audience score on IMDB, Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes. And before you call fanboys, remember that every franchise has them (check out the 10s of BvS, Civil War or any other superhero movie on IMDB) and that there are also lots of haters (they actually started to give Warcraft 1 before fanboys gave it 10). Actually, the more something is popular, the more haters it has.
    Everyone has their own personal, subjective perspective. But when you can account for a large portion of it, you see the statistical balances and differences. It was never about aiming for unanimous votes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    I'm not against, but I grown in a decade where corny fantasy movies were pretty much everywhere (Conan, Neverending Story, Dark Crystal) and no one had a problem with that. Much like the superhero movies today. LotR isn't or shouldn't be the absolute model of fantasy movies.
    LoTR is a model of cinema done right (to show it is possible to make good fantasy movies). Not an absolute model for fantasy movies.

Some people find LoTR boring, and I do respect that, but nobody could seriously argue that the 3 original movies are bad on a cinematographic standpoint.

1960 fantasy movie? lol
    One key aspect about Warcraft is that it differs (in a good way) to 90% of what is produced in Hollywood, in terms of narrative and aesthetics. Not everyone liked that. Warcraft is so different to LotR in it's cinematographic aspects that is very hard to compare. Also, LotR is a 10+ hours film. LotR has many flaws (and I love the films, have the DVD box and everything), narrative and technical. It was still an amazing film regardless.
    No it doesn't. As with a lot of mediocre Hollywood current blockbusters, warcraft is a melting pot of action scenes with little scenario. And if warcraft is an amazing movie on a cinematographic standpoint, I m mickey mouse.

At best, it's the perfect example to teach cineasts what not to do in their movies.

As already said, the fact that a movie is good on a cinematographic standpoint has nothing to do with whether you like it or not. I like some bad movies, I don't like some good movies, but that don't make these movies good or bad.

Warcraft is deeply flawed almost on all of its aspects (be it aesthetics, story, dialogues, pacing, screenplay, atmosphere, ...).

I mean, the fact that a movie like Zootopia (originally meant for children) has better dialogues, story, characters and pacing than this movie should tell you something.
    Last edited by mmoc18e6a734ba; 2016-06-13 at 10:07 AM.

Deleted
    ^Found the internet movie expert.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanelis View Post
    Warcraft is deeply flawed almost on all of its aspects (be it aesthetics, story, dialogues, pacing, screenplay, atmosphere, ...).

I mean, the fact that a movie like Zootopia (originally meant for children) has better dialogues, story and characters than this movie should tell you something.
    Warcraft is not flawed aesthetically. Actually, it's one of the best visual experiences in the history of cinema. Whoever keeps saying that visuals and CGI are bad is clearly either blind, a troll, or just watched a bad quality camrip. You may not like the visual style, which is on purpose as similar to the game as possible, but that's a different story. Hell, even critics who gave negative reviews praised the aesthetics and said that it was great from a technical point of view.

As for the story, it's from the game. They changed a bit here and there but all the major events are there. Who lives and who dies is correct, they just changed how some characters die. So if you don't like the story you shouldn't also like the first Warcraft RTS and the book The Last Guardian. Or maybe you shouldn't like the Warcraft saga at all.

Dialogues, pacing and screenplay could have been better for sure, I think that everyone agrees on that. However, acting was not that bad. For example, Kylo Ren from the last Star Wars was worse than any Warcraft actor, including King Llane who had the weaker performance.

Atmosphere was great and just as epic as most Blizzard cinematics or cutscenes IMHO. I actually got goosebumps in a couple of scenes at the beginning.

And if you really think that Zootopia has better dialogues, story and characters than Warcraft, well, maybe it suits your taste better because it's meant to be for kids.

Deleted
    Warcraft is not flawed aesthetically. Actually, it's one of the best visual experiences in the history of cinema. Whoever keeps saying that visuals and CGI are bad is clearly either blind, a troll, or just watched a bad quality camrip. You may not like the visual style, which is on purpose as similar to the game as possible, but that's a different story. Hell, even critics who gave negative reviews praised the aesthetics and said that it was great from a technical point of view.
    How can you seriously say that after seeing the costumes ? They look like bad blizzcon cosplays. The armor and helmet of king llane especially.

As for the story, it's from the game.
    You need a bit more than a video game scenario for a movie (especially a video game running on ms dos). It is ok in a video game because the main point of the game is to play. But not for a movie.

However, acting was not that bad.
    Yes, yes it was.

However, acting was not that bad. For example, Kylo Ren from the last Star Wars was worse than any Warcraft actor,
    In case you didn't understand it, Kylo Ren was meant to be a character which feels out of place. It s your typical teenager who think he is more than what he actually is. In that regard, Adam Driver might be one of the best actor of the movie for his performance.

And if you really think that Zootopia has better dialogues, story and characters than Warcraft, well, maybe it suits your taste better because it's meant to be for kids.
    No offense but that warcraft movie is actually much more understandable to children that zootopia. On a complexity level, if you were to rank the two movies, the later would be higher (and that's my point).
    Last edited by mmoc18e6a734ba; 2016-06-13 at 10:36 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempguy View Post
    Shit, thanks for reading what I wrote instead of being brain dead like those other guys.

I get that. If I hear the blue ray fixes it then I may buy it.

I have no idea why people act like you are obligated to blindly try everything and never take into account descriptions and experiences from others. I just don't want that Batman V Suoerman feeling again. I felt angry and disappointed cause I know it SHOULD have been good but was fucked up by some ecec or something.

Oh well. I hope they blocked me so they don't see my posts anymore.
    Hi it seems you misunderstood something here the pacing problem so many people talk about here is for them the movie is too fast

you describe bvs as too slow and too much world building am i right?

so for you the Warcraft Movie should be extremely well because there is now valid critic point other then the fast pacing for a lot of people

so you go and watch the movie it is far from too slow! you will enjoy it!

Deleted
    How can you seriously say that after seeing the costumes ? They look like bad blizzcon cosplays.
    See, it's when you make bullshit, hyperbole claims like that, that you lose credibility.

And no, the acting wasn't bad. You're just spoiled.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Orivaa View Post
    See, it's when you make bullshit, hyperbole claims like that, that you lose credibility.
    Want to talk about king llane's helmet and shoulderpad ?

And no, the acting wasn't bad. You're just spoiled.
    No, I just go see movie in theater on a regular basis, it helps for the sake of discussing cinema.

Deleted
    King Llane actually looked very good in his final scene, in my opinion. But I agree that his helmet doesn't work. Still leagues better than "bad blizzcon cosplays".

Saw it yesterday, if i dont count horrible battle scenes(not "fighting" scenes, specifically battle scenes), i would give it 5/10 which is what i expected, i usually dont count battle scenes because hollywood almost always sucks at them (alexander had some good battle scenes iirc for example, not all though)

Can we stop arguing about what is wrong or right? Let us talk sequel suggestions!

Deleted
    I feel like any sequel just has to continue where the war left off. They can't just quietly start telling Thrall's story considering the last thing that happened was that the king died and a military alliance (heh heh) was formed. In Garona's own words, the war is only beginning.

I am actually quite surprised. On trailers disparity between CGI and real actors was easily seen, but in the end product it looked very nice. Well, overall movie wasn't bad (but neither was mind blowing), probably the worst part of it was how Garona's plot was changed in comparison to original.

Deleted
    Well its just like some people are forcing themselves to be blind to all the greatness in this movie.

Cinematography was absolutely stunning the sergio leone style all over the place and camera angles, colorization it was really really epic
    i dont exactly know why people are claiming something else i just dont maybe they have so much hate in their hearts i dont know

Costumes: they really are true to warcraft and such Quality Costumes and Armor Pieces i have never seen before in a movie, its like they nailed the Warcraft Style exactly to the point. Look at that gorgous King Llane Armor its so Warcraft and artisticly different from these dark and gritty Fantasy Movies and Series its just so cool

Acting was really good there was no overacting somone crawling in icy mud and eating a bisonliver well you know overacting when you see it
    These were just realistic emotions and real talks like they happen in real live and nothing artificial

Pacing and Character development was too fast at first yes but that even vanishes when you watch the film a second time believe me!

Combat: Really good because there are times where the Characters are in utter Shock standing there, or just scanning the fight where to go in or how to fight, the details are just everywhere

Overall it really was the Movie of the Year we have to wait for Rogue one and see but that is Star Wars
    Last edited by mmoc6fcda93e3e; 2016-06-13 at 11:04 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Want to talk about king llane's helmet and shoulderpad ?

No, I just go see movie in theater on a regular basis, it helps for the sake of discussing cinema.
    I think u r weird.

I know it should be continueing the war, but the way they teased Thrall at the end just seems to indicate that he will be a big focus. Would they wait until movie 3 for that?

It would be a long coming tease then

The fact a friend of mine (non-fan) loved the movie and even loved King Llane made me think a thing...

Many people now are used to think at the characters of a film more like as written things on a screenplay more than actual real people doing their actions in their magic world.

We hear/read many times things like "weak character", "well-written character", etc...
    I think my friend enjoyed the film because he let himself enter this world (that was new for him) instead of watching the film with a journalist eye that tries to label every thing he sees (I link a scene from "Birdman" at the end of this post that explain this thing).
    When there was something non-told in the movie, he took it as a mystery yet to solve (by making theories or maybe to be seen in sequels) instead of taking them as "plot-holes".
    When Callan dies he partecipated at Lothar's pain, instead of saying "But Callan's character wasn't written well".
    He loved even King Llane because he thought as him as a REAL person in that world, and as such King Llane is one of the most honorable and great person you could find: he often makes wise decision despite of his young age, he wants the good of his people, he sincerely tries diplomatic solutions, and he sacrifices himself to save his world , and that's a thing only very brave and honorable men do. Who wouldn't want to have a King like Llane?