Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Gnomes in bikinis.
    Dancing Gnomes in bikinis.

Quote Originally Posted by kaamila View Post
    Its a flop domestically only making 24 mil. it got beat by a horror film which is a genre that usually doesnt make much initially. not saying its good or bad but money wise, with the amount they put into it for production and adverts, i read it needs to make at least 400-450 mil to break even.

"Box office. As of June 12, 2016 , Warcraft has grossed $24.4 million in North America and $261.7 million in other territories for a worldwide total of $286.1 million, against a budget of $160 million."

via wiki/Warcraft_(film)

Quote Originally Posted by roahn the warlock View Post
    I love how people think it needs 500 million to break even. Seeing as they will continue to pick up money from DVD sales, Netflix sales, Cable TV, so on and so forth. Not to mention merchandising and any number of people who buy at least 1 month of wow time (Equal to another ticket sale). As well as intangible assets, such as name recognition, and just plain marketing value of having a movie.

I just find it odd people want it to fail... Like, why?

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, Batman V. Superman likely won't get a sequel either. Seeing as it was a critical dud. No way they will make a Justice league movie after clickbait articles decided they didn't like it as much as the avengers.

We can only hope...

Quote Originally Posted by Bravocash View Post
    "Box office. As of June 12, 2016 , Warcraft has grossed $24.4 million in North America and $261.7 million in other territories for a worldwide total of $286.1 million, against a budget of $160 million."

via wiki/Warcraft_(film)
    It needs to do well domestically I'm afraid. If not then likely no sequels.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravocash View Post

via wiki/Warcraft_(film)
    Thats only the PRODUCTION budget, you need to add in advertising, the loss of revenue from WoW for the gametime bribe, the discounts you can get buying movies at WalMart with 8 dollars off to go see Warcraft etc....

Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    Right now, sitting at a disastrous score in RT. It begs the question to what Blizzard was thinking with this shit again.

What was the point?
    Still think it is a flop??? Has allready madde 80mil more then it cost to make.
    As for "THE" score on Rt...Side like that can be right or be wrong. But never EVER trust a critics on face value. Look at most of the negative reviews they are written by people who compare the movie to other things. And do allot of same complaining like: They find the visuals old fashion....While it looks pretty much like the game and the cut scenes. Nope it aint a solid 8.5 movie....maybe a 7 to 7,5. But x men apoc, fantastic4, BvS hell even iron man 3 where worse then this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally I loved the movie. To see the world on such a scale was incredible.

Also it really made me want a griffon.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehrenpanzer View Post
    Thats only the PRODUCTION budget, you need to add in advertising, the loss of revenue from WoW for the gametime bribe, the discounts you can get buying movies at WalMart with 8 dollars off to go see Warcraft etc....
    I would surprised if it wasn't pretty close to break-even point by now, even taking marketing and distribution into account. I don't think that the movie owes anything to Blizzard for the "gametime bribe" or any other cross-promotions, because those typically justify their costs already, eg WoW benefits directly from sponsoring the movie because in the end it all results in more people playing the game = more revenue for Blizz than they invested in the promotion.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    I would surprised if it wasn't pretty close to break-even point by now, even taking marketing and distribution into account. I don't think that the movie owes anything to Blizzard for the "gametime bribe" or any other cross-promotions, because those typically justify their costs already, eg WoW benefits directly from sponsoring the movie because in the end it all results in more people playing the game = more revenue for Blizz than they invested in the promotion.
    Exactly, it puts the Warcraft name everywhere.

I saw it yesterday and as a wow lore nut, i was giddy in my seat the entire way through. I brought 3 friends who love wow and 1 who doesnt know anything about it and all 4 of us loved it. We all want a sequel, and if biased critics ruin the chances of that ill be honestly devestated because after it ended we all thought...can we have more please?
    Originally Posted by Tradewind
    Well yeah, did you see the daughter? 0/10, would not bang.

It's no timeless classic, but it's good. Certainly nothing like the dud the critics would have us believe. I know about 4 dozen people who've seen it now, and every one of them at least enjoyed it (if not loved it). Not all of those people were Warcraft game players.

Metacritic tells the real story: 8.6/10 user score out of 1339 reviews at time of writing. I think that's a broadly accurate score. It's flawed, but still highly enjoyable and was a visual treat.

I increasingly question the value of professional critics on modern society. They seem completely out of touch with actual viewers.

Quote Originally Posted by baskev View Post
    Still think it is a flop??? Has allready madde 80mil more then it cost to make.
    As for "THE" score on Rt...Side like that can be right or be wrong. But never EVER trust a critics on face value. Look at most of the negative reviews they are written by people who compare the movie to other things. And do allot of same complaining like: They find the visuals old fashion....While it looks pretty much like the game and the cut scenes. Nope it aint a solid 8.5 movie....maybe a 7 to 7,5. But x men apoc, fantastic4, BvS hell even iron man 3 where worse then this.

Well, according to the frontpage of this site:

500M globally to break even - which we're quite a ways off.

Not picking any sides as to if it's good or not as I haven't seen it, but figured I'd throw in that information, considering apparantly nobody reads MMO-champion frontpage xd.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracodraco View Post
    Well, according to the frontpage of this site:

500M globally to break even - which we're quite a ways off.

Not picking any sides as to if it's good or not as I haven't seen it, but figured I'd throw in that information, considering apparantly nobody reads MMO-champion frontpage xd.
    $500 to break even, or $500M to make sufficient profit such that a sequel is all but guaranteed? That's how I have understood the numbers being thrown about. I think the break even point is considered to be approximately double the ($160M) production cost.

$500 to break even, or $500M to make sufficient profit such that a sequel is all but guaranteed? That's how I have understood the numbers being thrown about. I think the break even point is considered to be approximately double the ($160M) production cost.
    The "double what it cost" figure would almost certainly need to include marketing. For example, Hollywood is currently spending 60 cents for every dollar earned on advertising in 2016 versus only 20 cents per dollar back in 1980. That's not something you can just sweep under the rug.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    The "double what it cost" figure would almost certainly need to include marketing. For example, Hollywood is currently spending 60 cents for every dollar earned on advertising in 2016 versus only 20 cents per dollar back in 1980. That's not something you can just sweep under the rug.
    Yet, Universal made a shit job marketing the movie (I really doubt it was more than $30M P&A outside China) and in China all the P&A was done locally by chinese investors. That's why everyone is scratching their heads because we are entering a new age of movie economics.

The Universal executives are calling the movie a success: http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/new...reaking-china/

Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    Yet, Universal made a shit job marketing the movie (I really doubt it was more than $30M P&A outside China) and in China all the P&A was done locally by chinese investors. That's why everyone is scratching their heads because we are entering a new age of movie economics.

The Universal executives are calling the movie a success: http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/new...reaking-china/
    Wait... you mean the studio behind Warcraft isn't calling it the flop it is!?! I am shocked

And there was a tonne, TONNE of marketing in the US. You couldn't move for Warcraft ads the last month.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTaurenOrc View Post
    Wait... you mean the studio behind Warcraft isn't calling it the flop it is!?! I am shocked

And there was a tonne, TONNE of marketing in the US. You couldn't move for Warcraft ads the last month.
    It was reported $100M P&A global. The marketing in China (not just crappy trailers and bad posters) was completely over the top, so it's normal to assume that the majority of P&A was used in China.

Quote Originally Posted by Thetruth1400 View Post
    Or you've got bad taste in movies, either is just as likely.
    Yes, because what counts as good or bad taste in movies isn't entirely subjective to begin with, right?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TwoNineMarine View Post
    Personally I loved the movie. To see the world on such a scale was incredible.

Also it really made me want a griffon.
    People I expected to either dislike it or at the very least be let down by it, came out LOVING it. Makes me hopeful, considering the movies those people usually fall in love with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Critics killed the movie in the states, it didn't even get a chance. Once critic reviews starting pouring out theatres reduced showtimes. One of my theatres removed it all together with opening weekend only having 4 showings in another theatre. My theatres didn't even have poster advertisements for Warcraft.

It's certainly not a flop. At this point it's very clear that american critics cost it some serious profit domestically. Unless you want to argue that the entire world is wrong and only the usa is right.

Whether or not it gets a sequel I think fans can be glad they got a movie as good as this was. Thinking back on some other video game movies it could have been much, much worse.