Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Rate the specs you played in beta.

I mean fun-wise, not number-wise. I would love to know what people think about all the specs in game in their current beta iteration. Sadly, I cannot test them myself, so I have to rely on your opinion, guys. How fun are the specs you have tested so far?

Only played Frost DK and both DH Specs. Can't say much about Frost in comparison because I don't know how it plays on live. But on beta it was really fun. I always disliked the rune system for the DKs and I'm glad they changed it.

DH is insane. And I'm not talking about combat. Questing while being able to double jump and glide makes a lot of things so much more convenient. It is a lot of fun to simply jump up a wall where every other class has to take the long route around.

15+ Year Old Account
    Arms - 9 with the right talents, felt like a 5.5 before that.
    Forst dk - 7
    Enha sham - 4.5 - on a side note, this one has so many possibilities that I'm probably doing it wrong. Too many buttons for now hogh.
    Disc priest - 7 - still have to test it some more.
    Demo lock 5 - what a mess
    Outlaw rogue 8 - very interesting, I like where they are going with it.
    Balance druid 7 - much better than it is on live. Haven't tested it that much, though.
    Retribution - 6.5
    Beast master - 6.5 - could use MORE pets!
    Frost mage - 6 - haven't tested it much but you can have A LOT of buttons to press if you want.
    Arcane mage - 4 - don't play that. Seriously, don't.
    Brewmaster 5 - I feels like something (or a lot) is missing(?) I don't know, i doesn't feel right.
    Havoc - 7.5 quite fun to play.

Right now I have the feeling (I may be wrong but hey, I got some experience with this game) that the talents influence your gameplay a lot more in Legion than ever before, it can change drastically, make or break a clss depending on how you like to play. That's very interesting in my opinion, it's looking good.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    IMO the "best" healers are going to be Holy Priests and Resto Druids. The ones i enjoy playing the most however are Resto Shaman and Mistweaver. Though the latter definitely requires some getting used to.

The "best" tank - as in the one least prone to spike damage - is the Brewmaster. But the spec is god-awful to play imo. Prot warrior is my current favorite to play. Its also the only one that actually feels like a tank. Your whole objective is to take as little damage as possible. Not to heal yourself up after getting the shit kicked out of you every few seconds like all of the other tanks.

Fury is my favorite DPS spec. My current beta main is a Prot/Fury war. I ended up getting bored with every other class/spec. The warrior is the only one fun enough to keep me logging in.

Affliction is easily the tankiest DPS spec right now which makes it a pleasure to solo with. Its fun enough while playing but i never have been able to devote any significant play time to pures becuase being able to do nothing but DPS innevitably bores me.

All in all, just from a levelling/world-questing perspective Tanks have it much much better than DPS in terms of general ease and quality of life. DPS specs can succeed, but life is just so much easier when you can pull more than two mobs and not fear getting your ass handed to you. Also, some rares and group quests just flat out hit too hard for DPS to deal with. Tanks dont even have to think about engaging these mobs. (Except in Suramar - there are some elites its just flat out better to avoid.)

Levelling in your healing spec is doable, but will be very slow. Do not believe anyone who tells you "healers will do more dps so it wont be as bad" because that is flat out bullshit. Healer dps does scale but it does so very poorly - especially if you arent actually putting any Ap into your healing weapon as you level. Healers will find it all but impossible to die in world questing, but your kill speed is going to be glacially slow. Dont bother levelling as a dps and banking your AP for your healing spec. Just spend it on your DPS spec to speed the process along. Ap gets thrown at you from literally every L110 activity. Doing half a dozen dungeons will get you anough AP to buy your first 6-7 ranks for your healing weapon.
    Last edited by Nihilan; 2016-06-13 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Azahel View Post

Right now I have the feeling (I may be wrong but hey, I got some experience with this game) that the talents influence your gameplay a lot more in Legion than ever before, it can change drastically, make or break a class depending on how you like to play. That's very interesting in my opinion, it's looking good.
    Totally agree with this.

The talent choices are very different for some specification than WOD. Generally the active talents perform better - but not always. I tried ret paladin with what looked like the best talents based on past experience and it seemed clunky and slow (I thought this may change with gear). Then I picked the most active talent on each row and it was a totally different experience.

I have played :-

Retribution paladin
    Destruction lock
    Affliction lock
    Discipline Priest
    Shadow Priest

For me, affliction plays very well but if I was to play it seriously I'd want the ability to re-talent often during raids.
    I also like destruction lock - I know a lot of my peers don't like it - but it played well for me - and talent choice matters re:style.
    Discipline priest - its a very interesting play style and is easy to level as but a little slow. I would not be confident healing harder 5-mans but I think Id enjoy it immensely in a raid environment.
    Shadow priest - I wasn't fond of it but I think a lot of my friends who have better reaction times and like things going with speed will love it - I found void form too intense which means I will tunnel too much and not see other things I should.
    Retribution paladin - It's a little slow but not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. It was the toon that improved most with artifact traits.

So far only played Ret so the only thing I have to compare it to is live Ret and I'm not liking it. Damage\healing issues aside its not fun to me because it plays extremely slow compared to live. Everything just seems to take longer to come up to ready. I have so few buttons as well that it's just not fun doing so much waiting.
    One of these days, I should probably figure out a decent signature.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    On a scale of 1-10

Arcane Mage- 5. I honestly don't enjoy it much, but I feel once I figure it out I may like it a bit more. I really like the Artifact ability

Fire Mage- 8. I'm loving the mobility of fire while out questing. The animations are awesome, and I feel like I hit pretty hard

Blood DK- 10. Most fun I've ever had with an alt/tank. I'll absolutely be playing a Blood DK in some form or another
    Sylvaeres-Azkial-Pailerth @Proudmoore

Quote Originally Posted by Sephrie View Post
    I mean fun-wise, not number-wise. I would love to know what people think about all the specs in game in their current beta iteration. Sadly, I cannot test them myself, so I have to rely on your opinion, guys. How fun are the specs you have tested so far?
    Fire Mage = a ball (well tuned)
    Havoc DH = a blast (OP)
    BM Hunter = sucks bad (An absolute mess that feels clunky and boring)

A quick thanks to those of you who replied. This really helps. I wish I listened a few years ago when there was negative feedback for Arms Warrior. I hated playing it at level 100.

Fire Mage- Pretty fun, The spec I plan on leveling when it goes live. I've been playing a mage since launch so I'm happy to have a good spec to be excited about.
    DH DPS (Can't remember if its Havok or Vengance) Incredibly fun, very versatile and feels very powerful. They changed quite a few of their talents around from alpha and while I am mad about it, it really makes the player have to think about their choices and their play style which is good.
    Outlaw Rogue- So fun. I like the direction they are taking the spec. I like that they are changing things up for each spec for rogues, but outlaw is what I'll be playing live. Assassination and Sub were fun, but I like the change that outlaw provides.
    Frost DK- Still my go to spec for my DK. Really enjoy it (Although I need to test out blood and unholy)
    Survival Hunter- Hands down in my opinion one of the funnest specs in the game right now. I like the idea of playing with traps and being melee.
    Prot Warrior- Actually had a good time playing it. I felt like I was giving a good amount of damage while not having to worry about the damage I was taking.
    Balance Druid- New spec for me. I've always played feral on my druid and I must say, its pretty fun. Once I got the rotation down I felt pretty powerful.

I've tested out most other specs but only through their artifact quest and I didn't really go beyond those so I cant talk too much about them.

Deleted
    Prot Warrior 8 - I've always loved prot but I don't like focused rage, it feels like it does nothing even when you know what it does.

Fury Warrior 9.5 - It's nuts how fun this is at the moment. What's better, with the right talent setups you can basically fit in any niche in terms of ST, cleave and AoE.

Arms 7 - I like it but I won't be playing it unless the content dictates that I should.

Guardian - 7 feels good, feels fun but there's nothing special.

Feral 9.5 - Feral is always one of the most immersive specs. I hope it is viable to play as once again it is awesome.

Disc priest 9 - I don't like healing but I do like this. I will play this at least a little when it go's live.

I've played other classes and specs, but not enjoyed them enough to do more than Artifact quests.
    Last edited by mmoca156d23648; 2016-06-13 at 05:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fury: 9.5/10 - amazing IMO. Love how it feels and plays, and the new animations are EPIC.

Outlaw: 9.5/10 - playing Outlaw a few weeks into Alpha single-handedly convinced me to level my rogue. Now that its polished and mostly finished, I love it even more.

Arms: 8:5/10 - I'm known for my disdain of Arms among my warrior friends but I really enjoy it in Legion.

BM Hunter: 4/10 - can't stand it and I've lit the alpha forums up many times to that effect. I spent 10 years taming rare and interesting creatures and yet Blizz seems to think I'd rather spam the screen with random, generic animals. Stampede is ruined, and I also dislike the 'regen focus ehhh whenever' direction, having nigh-perfected Mists/WoD BM gameplay. Disappoints me doubly that after asking for gnome hunters for 7+ years, we finally get them only to have my preferred hunter spec changed into something I don't want to be within 100 feet of.

Survival: 7.5/10 - much more fun than expected, but I have no idea rotationally what I'm doing. Its a hell of a lot more engaging than Boring Mastery.

Prot Warrior: 8/10 - feels fine mechanically, but increased tank squishiness will take some getting used to. Would rate slightly higher, but I dislike the loss of Heroic Strike intensely.

Frost DK: 8.5/10 - I miss the presences and other small flavor things but what's there feels awesome. I love the slight delay that comes with Obliterate, really makes it feel like it hits like a truck. Much like Fury and Arms, the new animations really give it a new feel.

I've dabbled with others, but these are the specs I've spent some serious time with.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Holy paladin- 9/10. Extremely fun so far, does its job well and feels great to play. Has a lot of tools to use and talents to switch it up. Only reason I didn't give it a 10/10 is because the auras need to be buffed, currently they should work like decent raid CDs but only perform well in dungeons. If we based this off fun alone its a 10/10.

Resto Druid- 7/10. Feels okay, healing with a lot of hots is great but it's not really my preferred playstyle. Overall without my personal opinion id rate it 7/10, with my personal opinion 5/10. There's now a limit on how many hots (3) you can have up on a person which makes sense. It's still a fun playstyle if you like hots, hots and more hots.

Holy priest- 7/10. Fun, viable, a lot of big juicy heals. It's the jack of all trades healer. Has some aoe, some ST heals. Not sure if that means they'll do lower hps since they can do both but either way they're good. H priest, H Paladin and Resto Druid seem to be the top 3 healers. Resto sham only takes priority due to BL.

Resto sham- 4/10. Feels the same as live and overall it's pretty boring. Nothing fun about it, same toolkit as always. Depending on group comp in pve they'll be taken for BL. Overall in terms of raw healing power it's decent and its playstyle is eh.

Haven't tried Disc yet, I've mainly been playing holy paladin.
    Last edited by Taeldorian; 2016-06-13 at 11:40 PM.

Hunter:
    BM with Chimera Shot talent: 7/10. Simple. Relaxing. Not, like "FUN!" but enjoyable.
    MM: 3/10. Passive movement speed from the artifact is nice I guess but it feels really clunky. Pet is fragile. The only button that felt "good" to press is when Marked Shot procs, and it's not controllable.

DH:
    Havoc: 8/10. Kind of fragile, but a lot of fun. I really enjoy the mobility and the minor defensive aspects to a lot of their abilities.

DK:
    Frost: 10/10. Best thing I've played on beta. Was going to try Blood and Unholy but Frost is too fun. Hardy, sturdy, flashy, a frequent proc that feels great to press now that it only affects Oblit and you don't waste KM on the wrong ability. Frostscythe might be a numbers "trap" right now, with mathematically better options that tier but GOSH DANG DOES IT FEEL GOOD TO HIT ON AOE PULLS.

I will not judge on the damage or healing. It's based on the feel of the class, how fun it is, how smooth it is, for my personal taste.

This is for PvP only.

Havoc DH - 9.2

Pros: great mobility, niche abilities, great burst potential, visually pleasing, satisfying rotation. Cons: A little squishy, not enough buttons compared to others.

Beast Mastery Hunter - 8.9

Pros: Pet interaction, fun rotation, extra pet w/ Artifact weapon, great burst potential. Cons: Lack of cc and utility

Outlaw Rogue - 8.7

Pros: Fun rotation, good immersion spec, flavorful abilities, great utility and control. Cons: Hard to set up burst, dependent on RNG

Shadow Priest - 8.5

Pros: Dynamic rotation, fun new resource, damage well spread, healing, Void form is awesome. Cons: Loss of cc, low mobility.

Vengeance DH - 8.3

Tank spec, I do not approve them in pvp but they're kinda fun.

Sub Rogue - 8.2

Pros: Really stealthy, really annoying, fun hit and run spec, fun and useful abilities. Cons: Really squishy without trinket, Rotation a little bland.

Arms Warrior - 8.1

Pros: Good damage, 1 Shot potential, Bladestorm baseline. Cons: Lack of mobility, virtually no healing.

Holy Priest - 8

Pros: Great healing burst potential, fun talents, good utility, decent CC. Cons: lack of on the move heal, susceptible to being trained, loss of PW: Shield.

Fury Warrior - 7.8

Good burst potential, Good healing, Good mobility, usefull Artifact Weapon passive ability. Cons: Enrage damage received increase, bland rotation (spam spam spam).

Fire Mage - 8

Pros: More fire spells, Nice animations and spell effects, good cc, decent healing. Cons: Pyro still purgable, reliant on rng (but less), "mage never was my thing".

Enhancement Shaman - 7.6

Pros: Good utility decent cc, good healing, good situational abilities. Cons: Too many rotational abilities, Too spammy (more than on live), loss of too many totems.

Demo Warlock - 7.3

Pros: Emphasis on demons, great toolkit, very tanky, Good CC. Cons: Demonic circle is a talent, unrewarding rotation, weird soul shards generation mechanic.

Frost DK - 7.2

Pros: Cool looking abilities, feels very frosty, good burst potential. Cons: Death strike consumes RP, action bars feel empty, bland rotation, loss of strangulate...etc, etc.

Destruction Warlock - 6.3

What used to be my main for all of MoP now feels like a complete joke, chaos bolt hits like a wet noodle, scrapping burning ember resource was a mistake, boring Artifact weapon ability, I could go all day.

Enjoy reading
    Last edited by Sanguiris; 2016-06-13 at 10:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilan View Post

All in all, just from a levelling/world-questing perspective Tanks have it much much better than DPS in terms of general ease and quality of life. DPS specs can succeed, but life is just so much easier when you can pull more than two mobs and not fear getting your ass handed to you. Also, some rares and group quests just flat out hit too hard for DPS to deal with. Tanks dont even have to think about engaging these mobs. (Except in Suramar - there are some elites its just flat out better to avoid.)

Levelling in your healing spec is doable, but will be very slow. Do not believe anyone who tells you "healers will do more dps so it wont be as bad" because that is flat out bullshit. Healer dps does scale but it does so very poorly - especially if you arent actually putting any Ap into your healing weapon as you level. Healers will find it all but impossible to die in world questing, but your kill speed is going to be glacially slow. Dont bother levelling as a dps and banking your AP for your healing spec. Just spend it on your DPS spec to speed the process along. Ap gets thrown at you from literally every L110 activity. Doing half a dozen dungeons will get you anough AP to buy your first 6-7 ranks for your healing weapon.
    You're definitely right about tanks, it's kinda silly how much easier it is to level a tank, or at least dk was. I can easily pull everything in sight and not die while as a dps dealing with more than 2 mobs at a time can be tricky depending on your class and spec. And it's not even slower at killing single mobs than the dps specs i tried(played lock as destruction and affliction and priest as shadow) and actually has aoe unlike a lot of dps specs.

As for healers i only know about holy paladins, but my friend who leveled one found it easier and faster than leveling as ret as the damage was only a bit lower and he could never really die.

I'll bite. My experience is from someone who is putting their points into tank specs, but has played the DPS specs through most of the leveling.

Windwalker - 8.5 - I love the flow of this spec. I could never really wrap my head around all the conditionals to doing good dps on beta so I never made it into a raid with this spec. On beta it hits so hard, has so much mobility, and questing on it is a great feeling.

Brewmaster - 7.5 - It took me a long while working with this spec and getting Obstinant determination(artifact talent) to make this spec really work. Now that I have it, I'm unkillable. I have yet to die doing open world quests and many things that should kill me, simply can't because I'll just continually pop orbs once I get at low health. I really really wish other tanks had the fun cadence that is brewmaster.

Arms - 6.5 - I wasn't a fan of arms when I played it that much, it simply didn't have the self-healing to compete with the flow of questing with Fury. The abilities actually do look awesome however and you feel like such a badass when you play it. I do like the spec, just not in a solo environment.

Fury - 9.0 - This might be my main dps character when live launched. Everything about fury is just wonderful once you get the right talents locked in(inner fury/carnage/wrecking ball). It flows so well, it heals so much, you do SOOOOOO much damage. You're walking around just a force to be reckoned with! Great great feel to open world questing and dps.

Protection - 8.0 - Protection I'm on the fence about. It's probably my favorite to play tank at the moment. It's not the most powerful in a solo environment, Bloods>BrMs>Druids>Prot from what I've played at max level in that department. However they are the most fun if you can group mobs up. My god the amount of glee I've gotten from rounding up as many enemies as I can and Ravager > Shockwave > Battle Cry > Neltharion's Halitosis and you just murder everything. It's a seriously wonderful feeling. Protection has probably the best sounds and animations as well from tanks at the moment as well. If you really listen and look at what you're character is doing(I really never do so I had to make myself do this), it's very very satisfying to hit Revenge especially.

In a single target scenario, Protection Warrior mostly comes around playing with Devastate spam to try to get resets on Shield Slam. However at 110 I think I have very little haste and I'm still at an 8.XX second Shield Slam cooldown. With higher haste levels and the +Haste(x Enemies in surrounding area) you can definitely get this lower.

Feral - 8.0 - I love feral. I've always loved my druid. The problem is I've never been a top tier world class feral. I've always been okay, I could parse well on fights back in SoO and beyond, but I've never been a world class feral. Mostly due to my inability to manage snapshotting as well as the best guys do. The current iteration of feral on beta is very very snapshot heavy. Now some people might say, why? Well Savage Roar, Jagged Wounds and Bloodtalons are all going to be the best talents out of their respective tiers, if they're not, they're useless dead talents. I can almost guarantee that they will be. This means on single target/2 target fights(possibly even 3 depending on Brutal Slash's final tuning) you're going to be managing these three talents that are all around Snapshotting. You have to put your bleeds up with these buffs or you're not going to be doing optimal dps. Which to me means I'm probably not playing feral at the highest level. It's almost never worth it on this character because the investment is moreso than playing basically any other dps character, while the payoff is never ever more than standard at best.

The spec is pulled off well, it is a little squishy for me in the Suramar questlines(that might be putting it lightly). I love the spec, I love the artifact skins, by far the coolest of the whole game. However, if it's going to be the same old snapshot or you're not competitive, I'll just play something else.

Guardian - 6.5 - The guardian thing right now is up for debate. They're arguably the best tanks, which is fine, that waxes and wanes with patches. My problem is that it's even more mind-numbingly boring to play than even on live. I was a guardian main for a long time. A longggg time. What I see here is basically a slow protection warrior bear hybrid. Prot has the option to take Ravager, it has Neltharion's Breath and Battle Cry can help you really really burn things down. Guardian has some options, like incarnation. The problem is even when I'm burning down a whole bunch of things with Incarnation, it's not nearly as satisfying. It's just mangle. Spam mangle. Get more mangle procs. Everything is mangle. Thrash you hit on cooldown, just for the rage regardless. Moonfire is eh. It's alright. The skins are pretty cool. The anime ones especially. But tanking on it just feels like it has the last two expansions. Something that is pretty bland and boring.

Overall I don't think I'll be tanking on my bear in Legion unless I feel like I absolutely must be an Anime bear all xpac. Prot/Blood are more satisfying to play to me.

Blood - 8.5 - Probably the most fun tank spec overall to me. Seriously. With heart strike back, and D&Ds low cooldown and reset potential, it's just a blast to play. You've always got buttons to hit(with the right talents I'll add), the best self-healing in the game, and you do a truckload of damage on short cooldowns. Consumption is pretty cool.

Moreover, it's the only spec that has a mass grip now, which I've found to be MASSIVELY useful through the entire beta so far. So much so I might main a DK for the first time since wrath.
    Last edited by Ultramad; 2016-06-13 at 11:59 PM.

Assassin rogue: 8/10 The really managed to get assassin right with the extremly strong bleed effects. One really feel like an assassin cuting its victim open in a stunlock to leave them bleeding to death in despair. Downside is the loss of blind and gouge it is noticeable at first but one get used to it.

Survival hunter: 4/10 Maining hunter since tbc and even though the spec is fun to play it is very clunky and lack alot of suvivalbility in pvp. Ram up damage often takes to long time for it to be worth it. aspect of the turtle and 2 minute heal makes being a melee a real struggle in pvp, having aspect of the cheeta on 3 minute cd make it extremly meh. Thoose abilitys is for ranged who need to open a gap. Survival need to get rid of aspect of the turtle and get a damage reduction cd and a healing over time with a shorter cd. And aspect of the cheeta cd need to go down to atleast 1 min. For pve it is clunky but more fun and easier to get by with. Plus side the spec got ton of utility. I was looking forward this spec way to much I think. The disapointment is real.

Marksman: 4/10 Boring spec. Hit what lights up. Nothing in this spec makes one feel like a hunter. Lack of long time cc. Like traps.it needs traps more traps.

BM: 5/10 the best of the hunter specs. It is fun with the right talents. Downside is lack of cc and as many stated before by some reason blizz think we want ten million random pets rater then one powerful.

Sub 8/10 Very stealthy spec for the one who wants to be every where and do fast in fast out gameplay. Good cc and great burst. Downside a bit squishy.

Gonna play thru more specs soon. every spec I test I do it by leveling it but also playing with 110 template on the pvp server with full artifact weapon.

Tried them all out

Fun: Fire, Windwalker, Enhancement

Kinda fun: Boomkin, Survival, Shadow

Ehhhhh: MM/BM hunter, Feral, Sub, Frost mage

Everything else felt okay and didn't leave a good or terrible impression imo

Deleted
    I see everyone talking about Levelling and PVE, i focus on PVP so the votes are on that. (note, i don't take into consideration numbers, but mechanics):

Havoc Demon Hunter: 2/10 I really want this to work but it need a lot, really a lot of work, (can get into details if needed) there is still time tho.

Vengeance Demon Hunter: 7/10 Almost there, Usefull in arena, and almost good for rbg, prob need the "Concentrated Sigils" talent to explode around him not dropping at the start since in pvp you have to move way more.

Assassination Rogue: 8/10 Needs Blind or Gouge, or some for of cc that doesn't come from vanish, and remove the new talent "Exsanguinate", prob a fix to the energy gain could do good.

Outlaw Rogue: 9/10 It's good, even the healing roll is great in pvp, ofc true bearing must be removed (for pve too), "Control is king" pvp talent need a cd but it's a solid spec.

Subtlety Rogue: 4/10 Some of you will say <<omg bull***>> but if you remove the broken dmg, has the same problem that is present in pve, but amplificated; you can't wait the combo points and just use backstab to not cap energy because the only time you play is during the shadow dance and the rest is downtime