Poll: Are you a native English speaker?

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Liagala View Post
    [img]http://drtscott.typepad.com/.a/6a00e54f9519ae883301b8d17d88cf970c-pi/img]

?
    Pretty much. Also I hate Ikea, it's worse than the language.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes. I know only the most boring language on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Although Jyskälä is a nickname for Jyväskylä.
    That works, don't know many nicknames for cities here though, just a few: Riksu: Riihimäki, Stadi/Hessa: Helsinki, and my favourite, Suomen perse: Turku, but that one might just be my friends calling it that.

Self taught around 12ish, went to live in the US at 22, then to the UK at 26 (for english speaking countries, dabbled in other places but not for long)

Quote Originally Posted by Kurioxan View Post
    Self taught around 12ish, went to live in the US at 22, then to the UK at 26 (for english speaking countries, dabbled in other places but not for long)
    I feel like over the past few years we've taught you the majority of your proper English.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    No wonder when fed such delusions the English skills are piss poor among your folk.

The problem is you are thinking in French. It's a beginner's thing.

We don't have an expression for "it's raining cats and dogs" in Finnish, nor something similar even. But I have no issues with such things as when I'm speaking/writing/reading English, I'm thinking in English. I'm not translating Finnish to English and vice versa in my head.
    Ok first thing first, nation bashing isn't allowed on the forum. Keep that in mind when making broad generalization like this - which are, by the way, completely false.

Secondly, I'm not thinking in french. When I write, I think in the language I'm writing - I'm speaking about expressions here. They are cultural, which mean that American expressions are largely different from UK, for instance. Which is also why what you said doesn't make much sense. In the UK, a fag is a cigarette. Not in the US - and we all know what it means at large. It's cultural, which is why it's so hard to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    Got you fam.
    Thank you!
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Quote Originally Posted by BloodElf4Life View Post
    Though Tough Through Taught Thought are honestly a nightmare to speak. I wouldn't be able to say half of them right.
    lol i got this problem too. I cant pronounce "Three" right no matter how hard I try and every Americans used to make so much fun of me cause I used to just be pronouncing it "Tree" instead and now I always trying to say Three and even sometimes when i talk about a Tree I'll see Three, but I still wont pronounce it completely right. and ofc the only people to make fun of this are those who are so smart they only speak english.

Question whatever you take for granted.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurioxan View Post
    All that time, and I'm still not entirely sure we can call the things you say "English."
    [22:14] <+Lia> And why is Ruken molesting trees?
    [22:14] <@Rukentuts> Because they give me wood.
    [22:14] <+Lia> ...
    [22:14] <+Lia> worst pun ever
    [22:15] * Rukentuts boughs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    I'm as British as they come m8. An' I'll fookin' smack anyone who sez otherwise. Ya wanker.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    I speak a few languages. English. Drunk English. Hungover English.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    I am not convinced.

OT: Of course it bloody well is. Do you take me for a Johnny Foreigner or something?
    Yorkshire is still English thee sillih southernah

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    That works, don't know many nicknames for cities here though, just a few: Riksu: Riihimäki, Stadi/Hessa: Helsinki, and my favourite, Suomen perse: Turku, but that one might just be my friends calling it that.
    It's Hesa, not Hessa.

Tampere = Nääsville/Manse
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

My native Language is kentuckynese, it's close to English and most English speaker can eventually figure out what I was saying, but to make things easier I learned English as well.

Deleted
    I didn't really learn a whole lot of english back in school. Not sure why but every teacher I got over the years was shit at teaching. Apparently.

I learned about 95% of my english (bad as it might be in some cases) from watching Youtube, Series/Movies, playing Games in english and reading. So it is quite surprising to me, that I still have a really thick german accent.
    But that's probably because I want to be able to actually talk to people in english and sometimes I still have to think about what I am saying out loud. Which annoys the crap out of me. Being a perfectionist.
    Aaaaaand there are the horrible German-ish sentences. I know, you guys hate long ass sentences but we germans love them. It's just something I have to work on I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Liagala View Post
    All that time, and I'm still not entirely sure we can call the things you say "English."
    Oooh that shittalk! yet lost count of times i had to teach words to the english speakers >_>
    Granted, I do misspell a lot :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seiko Sora View Post
    Yorkshire is still English thee sillih southernah
    Following a recent evaluation of your status, your Englishness has been revoked.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'd also like to mention that I actually learned the basics in English in school during 3rd, 4th and 5th grade (9-11 years old). After that my English skills were above the curriculum level so basically self taught through TV, books and games after that. I never learned pretty much anything during the lessons, maybe some small grammar tidbits here and there.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Dsonsion View Post
    Which language would like to learn?
    I always thought French sounded awesome / sexy so probably that.

Deleted
    English isn't my native language that's dutch, but I've learned it pretty early from programs on tv/school and some games.
    I understand a little bit of german mostly from reading but I can't speak it, and I understand Frisian

10+ Year Old Account
    Not native. I am Dutch. Learned English in school, along with French and German.