Poll: Are you a native English speaker?

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Russian first, then English. I knew Italian and German better than I knew English when we got here. Both are all but forgotten now... Same with Hebrew, but I learned that in U.S.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Yes, might be hard to say, but no problem writing.
    Yes, some native speakers simply pick one of those spellings and use it for all of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rezhial View Post
    I always thought French sounded awesome / sexy so probably that.
    So true... Hard to tell this is a song about a woman getting stabbed to death:

https://youtu.be/Hrd1wV1ztb0
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Deleted
    Neither. German -> Italian -> English.

Deleted
    My native language is dutch and I learned most of my english from tv, games and school.
    Although I can't really say I have mastered the language I still like to believe I'm getting there :P

Deleted
    Nope, native Finnish speaker. Started learning English independently at age 6 through video games, and in school at age 9. English has always been my forte, and I've always been the best of my class/group. My high school English teacher said that I was the most gifted student she had had in her thirty-something year career. The worst score I've ever gotten from an English exam was 8½, which translates to ~B+ or A- I think.

And on the other hand, I have always been absolutely terrible at Swedish, even if it is out second "official" language.

Deleted
    I have learnt english in school even though i'd say most of my english vocabulary is self taught awhile school essentially taught me the grammar rules. It is much harder to speak english than it is to write english though, I can manage to speak decently for a few minutes but if I speak for too long my english might end up sounding retarded by the end of my speech.
    I had near perfect grades in english class and always been the best of my class, but to be quite honest, i'd say people are pretty terrible at speaking english here, which is probably why the english courses were so easy.

For instance, spannish is much much easier to pronounce to me (even though its grammar and conjugation is infinitely harder than that of english)

My mother tongue is French

The poll is quite interesting, up until now, I thought most of the people subscribed to MMO-C were from the USA.
    Last edited by mmocafdd20634a; 2016-06-13 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakloh View Post
    Nope, native Finnish speaker. Started learning English independently at age 6 through video games, and in school at age 9. English has always been my forte, and I've always been the best of my class/group. My high school English teacher said that I was the most gifted student she had had in her thirty-something year career. The worst score I've ever gotten from an English exam was 8½, which translates to ~B+ or A- I think.

And on the other hand, I have always been absolutely terrible at Swedish, even if it is out second "official" language.
    Mine is 10- I made a spelling error, which I didn't notice ^^
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Second, swedish is my native language.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakloh View Post

If she only knew what you used that gift for - tentacle hentai.

I always got 9's and 10's from exams, matriculated with L from high school.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

7+ Year Old Account
    Native french speaker, lived in Switzerland and France until I was 12, moved to Canada (french part) after that. I have to say my english was below most of my french canadian friend level until i was like 17-18 and I started working in retail as an on the side job. Living in Montreal I was so exposed to english that I can say I have a decent english level nowadays, would not call myself bilingual but I can raidlead and discuss in english very well. I also do most of my work in english as english is the main language of science.

Here in Quebec (french Canada) most people i know speak english at a decent level, they all understand it. Most young people in Montreal are so exposed to american culture we learn it if we want. Also many people speak english as there first language in the city so if you want it's not to hard to be exposed to it witch is the best way to learn. Outside of montreal tho most people only have a very basic level of english or even don't speak it at all as they are almost no reason to learn it.

I've always found it was a good thing to speak tow language so i do my best to keep a good level in english, that's one of the main reason i play in a english speaking guild on NA server and not on a french EU server like many other french canadian do.

Native danish speaker, as such I can also speak/read Swedish and Norwegian to a certain level. I have had 3 years of german in school, and yet I can only form the most basic of sentences.

7+ Year Old Account
    Native russian speaker, also learned finnish when lived there (dramatically hard language to learn).

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    Native danish speaker, as such I can also speak/read Swedish and Norwegian to a certain level.
    Yeah, you only need to remove the kartoffel from your mouth.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.

English is the only language I am fluent in. The next closest language I know is french which I can barely remember from high school.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Yeah, you only need to remove the kartoffel from your mouth.
    Obligatory:

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodElf4Life View Post
    Though Tough Through Taught Thought are honestly a nightmare to speak. I wouldn't be able to say half of them right.
    But but but... They aren't even remotely close phonetically, aside from maybe taught and thought.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Native: French/Spanish (born in France and French family, lived most of my life in Spain).

I had a good English base thanks to school and college but I've learnt the most by myself, through music, movies, tv shows, games... etc and I can say I speak it quite fluently. I've stayed in Dublin for a couple weeks a few years ago and I had no problem neither understanding nor expressing myself. Sure there was some stuff I needed to be explained to get them, but that's normal when you don't live in a certain place.
    Last edited by Sylar Hao; 2016-06-13 at 03:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Native German had English lessons since 3rd grade.
    Over time I hopped around in English speaking communities so much that at this point I don't care whether some text / movie is in EN or DE.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    But but but... They aren't even remotely close phonetically, aside from maybe taught and thought.
    My thoughts exactly. Though it might be tough to get the message through to some people when they haven't been taught it correctly.