Page 38 of 77 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    If the overclock is 20% and running Ashes of Singularity, I can see it doing nearly as well as a 1070. Otherwise, nah.
    That's just the maths based on the 3DMark performance, nothing to do with async.

During the Geforce FX period, their worst graphic cards ever made, they somehow made that work.
    I disagree with that. Geforce FX nearly killed Nvidia. ATI's Radeon 9700/9X00 series releasing Q3 2002 nearly buried Nvidia. Nvidia had the lowest stocks since they first hit the market at that point in the time. They had to reinvent their image to actually dig themselves out of that grave.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    I disagree with that. Geforce FX nearly killed Nvidia. ATI's Radeon 9700/9X00 series releasing Q3 2002 nearly buried Nvidia. Nvidia had the lowest stocks since they first hit the market at that point in the time. They had to reinvent their image to actually dig themselves out of that grave.
    Here's a graph that shows the history of Nvidia and ATI/AMD's market share. Notice the Geforce FX period doing better in sales than ATI at the time. I don't know about their stocks, but their market share was certainly dominant. Despite the FX cards being slow, hot, poor DX9 performance, it still sold better than Radeon 9x00 series cards. Even when Nvidia was doing worse than ATI, they weren't doing a lot worse. Not like today, where Nvidia just pretty much dominates the market. Nvidia can indeed paint a turd green.

It's funny how history repeats, cause back then many people warned that the FX cards would do poorly in a true DX9 game. The first big commercial true DX9 game was Half Life 2 which used actual Pixel and Vertex Shader 2.0. But because Nvidia was involved with developers, most "DX9" games were really DX8.1. Now we have DX12/Vulkan with the same situation with Async Compute. Except now there's no Half Life 3, and there's Gameworks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Here's a graph that shows the history of Nvidia and ATI/AMD's market share. Notice the Geforce FX period doing better in sales than ATI at the time. I don't know about their stocks, but their market share was certainly dominant. Despite the FX cards being slow, hot, poor DX9 performance, it still sold better than Radeon 9x00 series cards. Even when Nvidia was doing worse than ATI, they weren't doing a lot worse. Not like today, where Nvidia just pretty much dominates the market. Nvidia can indeed paint a turd green.

It's funny how history repeats, cause back then many people warned that the FX cards would do poorly in a true DX9 game. The first big commercial true DX9 game was Half Life 2 which used actual Pixel and Vertex Shader 2.0. But because Nvidia was involved with developers, most "DX9" games were really DX8.1. Now we have DX12/Vulkan with the same situation with Async Compute. Except now there's no Half Life 3, and there's Gameworks.

[IMG]http://cdn.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Nvidia-AMD.png[/IM G]
    http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=751218

I can't find any articles for it easily on my phone, most of them don't exist any more, but in 2001-early 2003, Nvidia nearly sunk themselves with the FX line and it's terrible pricing. They had about 70% market share and dropped about 35% over that time frame. ATI's 9700 and 9800 dominated completely. As I was saying, Nvidia had to completely remarket themselves to not go under completely. ATI/AMD had the lead and as you can see in the graph you linked, they almost kept it, but Nvidia's marketing push saved them.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/pc-ma...mpan-30997114/
    Last edited by Shinzai; 2016-06-13 at 12:28 PM.

Deleted
    Don't think this came by here yet.

If this turns out to be true... And if every 480 can OC like that... It does seem that this picture shows that the stock clock is 1080... (some link to the GTX 1080 maybe... )

I've got my salt next to me

First off let me establish all my cards are AMD based, always have been always will be, its my brand.

Now, Iam finding it extremely hard to believe AMD is going to make their flagship card, which the 480 will be with a starting price point under $200. How does a top end card under $200 dollars benefit AMD? Are they banking on VR? If they are they will go out of business. VR will be, as it always is, a small fad quickly forgotten until people can have sex physically simulated as sick as that sounds.

So where does it leave AMD? Making a real cheap yet powerful card for gamers to beat Nvidea in the card race? Ok, maybe, but why? They haven't done that in the past yet now they are going to? This makes no sense from a long term business standpoint to launch your next generation of cards at less than a third of your previous generations premium product let alone your competition.

I really want a top of the line card for my rig and pay $200 for it, I just don't see any rational business decision as to why AMD can or should make it happen, this could be the nail in their coffin.

All that being said, Iam buying a 480 launch day.

Jimmy Thick- Floating point, thats my head.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Thick View Post
    Now, Iam finding it extremely hard to believe AMD is going to make their flagship card, which the 480 will be with a starting price point under $200.
    The 480 is not supposed to be a flagship card. It is aimed at the mainstream market, because they want to win some market share.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Thick View Post
    First off let me establish all my cards are AMD based, always have been always will be, its my brand.

Now, Iam finding it extremely hard to believe AMD is going to make their flagship card, which the 480 will be with a starting price point under $200. How does a top end card under $200 dollars benefit AMD? Are they banking on VR? If they are they will go out of business. VR will be, as it always is, a small fad quickly forgotten until people can have sex physically simulated as sick as that sounds.

So where does it leave AMD? Making a real cheap yet powerful card for gamers to beat Nvidea in the card race? Ok, maybe, but why? They haven't done that in the past yet now they are going to? This makes no sense from a long term business standpoint to launch your next generation of cards at less than a third of your previous generations premium product let alone your competition.

I really want a top of the line card for my rig and pay $200 for it, I just don't see any rational business decision as to why AMD can or should make it happen, this could be the nail in their coffin.

All that being said, Iam buying a 480 launch day.

Jimmy Thick- Floating point, thats my head.
    Polaris 10 isn't their flagship GPU. That's big Vega.

The RX480 is the mid-tier card, like a HD 7770 or a HD7850 for example. They were 160 USD and 250 USD respectively, the RX480 is in the between.

The pricing isn't absurd or anything, Nvidia is the one with absurd pricing.
    Last edited by Artorius; 2016-06-13 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    Polaris 10 isn't their flagship GPU. That's big Vega.
    In addition, the 480 appears to be a cut down version of Polaris 10, meaning they still have the either a 480x or 490 up their sleeves.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/vlvcbxM.jpg[/IM G]

If this turns out to be true... And if every 480 can OC like that... It does seem that this picture shows that the stock clock is 1080... (some link to the GTX 1080 maybe... )

... ... It overclocks by 20%.

GG, AMD wins.

1070 performance for 200 bucks?

If that is true, then AMD is going to give nVidia the world's biggest wedgie ever on the 29th

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    1070 performance for 200 bucks?

If that is true, then AMD is going to give nVidia the world's biggest wedgie ever on the 29th
    Leak benchmarks could be fake, and like the 1080 where people thought it was an overclock monster, it turns out not to be true. Unless you like the sound of a leap blower in your PC. The same could very well be true for the 480.

Just saying.

I've seen this version as well, looks like someone may have photoshopped the Titan X out and replaced it with made up 480 OC results.

10+ Year Old Account
    Of course it's photoshopped, look at the 0 and the 9, they're clipping each other/too close.

Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    Of course it's photoshopped, look at the 0 and the 9, they're clipping each other/too close.
    Indeed. The image Zeara has posted has been debunked as a photoshop.

The Google Translate of the Korean forum this image supposedly came from has its posters calling it a "synthesis" aka a manufactured fake.

Deleted
    I don't think people should be looking at the RX480 being 'potentially' near the 1070, we should be seeing what gpus its actually above here, its above the 970 and 390 and thats all we need to be concerned about here since this is the coveted target performance for the money right now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aberrict View Post
    Indeed. The image Zeara has posted has been debunked as a photoshop.

The Google Translate of the Korean forum this image supposedly came from has its posters calling it a "synthesis" aka a manufactured fake.
    Thats to bad

But as thorian said, it still looks like it performs around the level of the 980. Which is still good for the price. Hopefully, an OC can put it at the same lvl as an fury.

Ya it will be between 970 and 980 performance, still a dam good deal. Also unrelated, new xbox slim will have a 4k blu ray player for 299.00 bucks : )

10+ Year Old Account
    Doesnt AMD have their E3 panel soon? Think they would give some more info on polaris?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GoKs View Post
    Doesnt AMD have their E3 panel soon? Think they would give some more info on polaris?
    http://videocardz.com/61015/watch-am...ming-show-here

10+ Year Old Account
    I am @work so no streaming for me =( . Will have to wait and read this thread a bit later to see what happened =P