Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Critically, the movie was a dud.

Domestically, the movie's performance in box offices has been completely unimpressive.

But its overseas cume has been record-breaking so it cannot be viewed as a total failure. We still do not know how much the Chinese bottom line will affect the movie's total performance but I'm sure we'll get clarification from the studio in coming weeks. I doubt they're disappointed with the film's overall performance but it still seems unlikely it will garner a sequel at this point.
    Jones said in a tweet that it seems increasingly likely that a sequel will happen.

Also, keep in mind that the box office success of the movie isn't the only metric for success. It's also meant to reinvigorate the IP. If it does that on any level it was a success. See a movie once? That's like 12-20 bucks depending on where you live. Resub to the game for a month or two? Also good. Buy the expansion? Better.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakushisai View Post
    The 500 million break point is slightly exaggerated. It's more or less around 400 million to break even.

A fairly credible source, which actually wasn't that credible, and has been wrong 90% of the time of their previous estimates this year alone.
    If you've got more reliable sources, the correct thing to do is share them and explain why - not say "they're wrong" and move on .

Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2 View Post
    Wrong.
    The reviews are what matters, because those people have already seen the movie.
    People who have just bought the ticket have not seen it yet, so those numbers don't mean anything.
    out of 58k IMDB reviews it has a 7.7/10 rating. 41k rotten tomatoes' reviews gave it 4.2/5. Seems like the reviews are speaking for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Magistrate View Post
    Jones said in a tweet that it seems increasingly likely that a sequel will happen.
    As far as I can tell from his Twitter feed, he simply re-tweeted a fan who asked whether there'd be a sequel. Hardly proof of anything and it's unlikely even he knows at this point whether the film is on course for a sequel.

But yes, there are far-reaching implications of the film's success for the Warcraft brand. It still needs to be mentioned that the legacy of the film franchise is mostly in the hands of the studio who financed the movie, not Blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Vajarra View Post
    I don't really agree, I think being a fan you would understand the story, but that doesn't fix the really awful acting. Just my opinion of course. The rest of your post I agree with, it's not accessible enough for non-fans of the series.

If there is a sequel, I really hope it focuses on something besides orcs, I've had enough orcs to last for a lifetime already.
    For me, the actors sold their characters perfectly. Was the acting straight up incredible? No way. Did it detract from me getting absorbed in the story? Absolutely not. It actually helped me get absorbed in the story except a very few minor places.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Critically, the movie was a dud.

Domestically, the movie's performance in box offices has been completely unimpressive.

But its overseas cume has been record-breaking so it cannot be viewed as a total failure. We still do not know how much the Chinese bottom line will affect the movie's total performance but I'm sure we'll get clarification from the studio in coming weeks. I doubt they're disappointed with the film's overall performance but it still seems unlikely it will garner a sequel at this point.
    It's made a profit in the first week. If it has legs overseas, to build on that profit, a sequel is definitely possible. I'd like to see it do well enough to get a sequel with a bigger budget to smooth some things out and hopefully a director's cut on blu ray. The movie wasn't bad, it just wasn't great. I think some effort could improve it and a sequel might be able to do better than the first.

And keep in mind, the Resident Evil films keep getting made almost exclusively based on overseas market results.

7+ Year Old Account
    movie was good the second one will most likely cover early burning crusade and how the draenei and blood elfs came to azeroth and illidan storyline and maybe at end a setup for movie 3 which would cover fillers and wrath of lich king lore and if they do more 4 would be the cata movie which could cover all the events leading to cata pre events theramore etc and movie 5 could cover the events of mists of pandaria events and what not leading all ways up to current in a trilogy like thing all this is alongt ways from now we will see if they will wanna do any more stuff lotta work involved.
    You can't take what ya can't see... *rolls d20* You rolled a natural 20* The skill of stealth is successful.

Duelingnexus name: Jaina1337
    Blizzard Battle Tag: Jaina1337#1396

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    And keep in mind, the Resident Evil films keep getting made almost exclusively based on overseas market results.
    The overhead for the RE films is much lower since the initial budget is much smaller. Those films almost have their own cult following at this point, too.

That's not to say Warcraft can't enjoy the same success. But given the budget of this film, I think fans would be put off if its sequels had a significantly smaller budget. Additionally, I'm not writing off the possibility of a sequel by any means. I want the film to succeed. I'm just offering a pragmatic counter view in spite of the gushing fanboyism that's rampant in this thread.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    Right now, sitting at a disastrous score in RT. It begs the question to what Blizzard was thinking with this shit again.

What was the point?
    Ya good call there guy. Movie made like 280 million so far
    Sylvaeres-Azkial-Pailerth @Proudmoore

Quote Originally Posted by Azkial View Post
    Just 220m more to break even. Woo!
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the movie is doing well considering the bad press around it. I don't get peoples issue with actors, my main and only issue was Garona and everything that surrounded her. Aside from that, I thought the actors were good. I went in expecting to hate King Llane with how so many were blasting him but I didn't have an issue with him at all outside of not getting to know his character more.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Azkial View Post
    $304 million.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracodraco View Post
    I don't understand what you're saying. People were discussing how much the film would have to profit to not be a "flop". There's no discussion to be had as we already have the numbers from a fairly credible source - 500M.

All I said was that we're pretty far off of 500M at the moment (a little over halfways there), so it remains to be seen if it flops or not - but people pulling random rule-of-thumb figures from their ass should just take a second to read.

Would you please elaborate what you mean by your "who did not do their research"-comment? Because as I've already said; I am not taking either side as I haven't seen the movie. I'm simply stating the current facts; It needs 500M to break even, and we're quite a ways off from that. I am not taking any sides, and it really sounds to me as if you think I've said something you disagree with, and I can't really figure out what that would be.

(Also, the movie has been available in cinemas here in denmark and many other countries since the 26rd of last month or earlier - that's hardly "a week". It's a few weeks and then some).
    You assumed i did not read the front page. I did. I was just stating. That people can say its a flop. While in its first week its already halfway of bringing every penny back it cost to make.
    I responded to your comment about : apparently people do not read mmo front page. You where responding to me so i stated that i did. And i was stating a current fact that we may be far of it yet...But for a movie out a single week...that is not a big drama. Nope not saying you are right or wrong.
    And yes it was out 1 week before most people saw it. But only 6 out of 160+ country's in the world...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheTaurenOrc View Post
    Well clearly you didn't. I am assuming you don't (hopefully) run a business because your getting your revenue mixed up with your cogs and your net.

Long story short, theaters are not non-profit organizations. Neither are production studios!
    Was i responding to you...Nope. And maybe used the word grossed wrong...profit??? money made????? that good for you??? Not everyone is a English major. And yes its only near the 300 mil out 500 they need 2 brake even. But 1 week in cinema's without any extra dvd, merchandise sales etc counted it. There is more to movies making money then the movie it self

I did read the front page . And i did see the numbers. Just stating the fact that everyone throws out the FACT that the movie NEEDS 500mil. But after that most people forget the FACTS and look for the real numbers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Right now, sitting at a disastrous score in RT. It begs the question to what Blizzard was thinking with this shit again.

What was the point?
    Uh ohhhhhh, So op, now that the movies already made 120 million OVER the cost to create it in the little time it's been out - you mad?

Warcraft premiered in Los Angeles on June 6, 2016, and was released by Universal Pictures in the United States on June 10, 2016.[7] The film received negative reviews and has grossed over $286 million.[3][8]

SOURCE: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warcraft_(film)

#uhoh #inbeforeitsonlymade24millionintheUSA #getmadhaters

Quote Originally Posted by Vajarra View Post
    I don't really agree, I think being a fan you would understand the story, but that doesn't fix the really awful acting. Just my opinion of course. The rest of your post I agree with, it's not accessible enough for non-fans of the series.

If there is a sequel, I really hope it focuses on something besides orcs, I've had enough orcs to last for a lifetime already.
    See, and I liked most of the acting. I thought the Queen and Garona did a great job and actually were the best of the bunch. I thought the actor that played Khadgar really came across as a amateurish kid - which is what he was supposed to be. Not because of lack of skill, but because that's what the part required. The orc voice acting was superb, and I liked Lothar too - in fact, he was my favorite human. I can see how some people might think Medivhs actor was over the top, but that's just how Medivhs character is. King Llane though - I'll give you that one

What was the point?
    It was a movie based on a video game. From that information alone anyone could easily predict it would be a flop. The point was to make money, because you know, Blizzard is a company.

10+ Year Old Account
    BvS cleared almost $900M worldwide and had a domestic weekend opening literally 5 times that of Warcraft's. You're comparing apples to oranges here. All I'm saying is that so far -- despite its tremendous success in foreign markets -- it's still in a position where the studios could look at it as a failure and not make a sequel. And even if it does get a sequel, it certainly won't be made for the domestic box office.
    The Studio is a Chinese owned company.
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

Deleted
    The global box office already broke the $300M.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=warcraft.htm

Quote Originally Posted by roahn the warlock View Post
    The Studio is a Chinese owned company.
    And? If anything, it means there's a potential for a Chinese-language sequel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycann View Post
    It was a movie based on a video game. From that information alone anyone could easily predict it would be a flop. The point was to make money, because you know, Blizzard is a company.
    No movie flop in history has made over 280 million in a weeks time - I'm not disagreeing with what you stated, I'm disagreeing that people can say a high end movie like this will just be a FLOP automatically - Blizzard bets on WINS, they don't bet on loss's. I know the WoW game has changed over the course of the last 11.5 years, but that's life, you change - or you get destroyed.