Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    I uninstalled it recently, and have no drive to play it again. Didn't buy the expansion either as it looked like a rip off. It's a shame, because I really enjoyed playing it in the past. I still remember getting into a beta weekend and being blown away by how fresh it felt.
    I didn't stick with it ultimately (though may pick it back up later), but I thought the expansion was pretty damn brilliant. The zones are initially frustrating, but reward those who learn their way around, especially over the long term... and I haven't even seen a good portion of what's offered. If you have any interest at all, I'd argue that the expansion is worth the cost.

I am now playing a lot more. I have completed the first map and I am about half way through the second. Not bad so far. The meta on the second map is quite nice. I got a bit of a fright with all of the HP's being champs.

10+ Year Old Account
    I used to play Gw2 when it came out. I liked it for a while but grew tired of the CD locked gameplay and my Warrior always drawing aggro and dying no matter how many other people were present. Group and dungeonplay is my thing so always biting the dust felt rather unfun to me. I don't know if that is still the case...
    Also I didn't really liked Fractals.

However I'd like to know what made the Xpac so bad? To be honest I didn't really care about it and only heard it was coming but can't recall the features.

Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
    I used to play Gw2 when it came out. I liked it for a while but grew tired of the CD locked gameplay and my Warrior always drawing aggro and dying no matter how many other people were present. Group and dungeonplay is my thing so always biting the dust felt rather unfun to me. I don't know if that is still the case...
    Also I didn't really liked Fractals.

However I'd like to know what made the Xpac so bad? To be honest I didn't really care about it and only heard it was coming but can't recall the features.
    Initially the expansion forced too much group play. There was also not a lot of new content. You needed to be in a group to do pretty much anything in the exp. You still need groups for some things but not everything. A small example, I don't know of one hero point in the pre-expansion that needed you to kill a champ. Every single one on the second map (that I am busy with) needs a group because it's a champ. The play style is different. It almost like it has been made to be repeatable which is a flaw in all of the stuff since the initial release. i.e. Made for grind.

It's better now but the forced grouping is still there, to a certain extent.

It focused too much on new features and not enough on content and the content that they did give was group content. A lot of people who play GW2 are solo players who do "stuff" in a busy world.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    Initially the expansion forced too much group play. There was also not a lot of new content. You needed to be in a group to do pretty much anything in the exp. You still need groups for some things but not everything. A small example, I don't know of one hero point in the pre-expansion that needed you to kill a champ. Every single one on the second map (that I am busy with) needs a group because it's a champ. The play style is different. It almost like it has been made to be repeatable which is a flaw in all of the stuff since the initial release. i.e. Made for grind.

It's better now but the forced grouping is still there, to a certain extent.

It focused too much on new features and not enough on content and the content that they did give was group content. A lot of people who play GW2 are solo players who do "stuff" in a busy world.
    There was also an issue with in order to get good rewards on the maps you needed to be there and active for an entire event cycle which meant a 2 hour time commitment and a lot of people didn't like that very much. In the Spring update one of the things they did was change how rewards are done so you get more through out the meta cycle but you don't have to be there for an entire 2 hours to get good rewards.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    I am now playing a lot more. I have completed the first map and I am about half way through the second. Not bad so far. The meta on the second map is quite nice. I got a bit of a fright with all of the HP's being champs.
    The HP champs do still give bags after you have the HP, so there's at least still folks doing them regularly enough.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wasn't a regular player even with the base game, but I think the narrow focus on story and aesthetic eliminated some of the magic of the game for me. The actual gameplay concept for the expansion was amazing, having masteries and whatnot...but such a confined area with limited visual appearance gets old.

I would have just preferred more zones added to the normal game. After going the dry top and all the desert getting overtaken by plants to the same kind of setting, but more plants felt boring. The vertical game design did not overcome what appeared to be under achieving compared to the initial game's aesthetic.

Compare for example, a WoW expansion where they know to deliver a different experience in each zone. In HoT I felt like every zone may as well have been the first zone, regardless of what new trees and creatures I encountered. Still the most beautiful MMO, but I have to think that focus in limited areas at 'end game' sorta prevented me from ever gaining full investment into it. I was definitely more regular in the initial game and lost most ability to play continuously in HoT.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    HoT any decent now for a uber casual player ?
    Too play mostly solo aswell.
    I haven't bought the expansion yet due to the mostly negative feedback i seen about it and its new grindy , unfriendly for soloing direction it took with HoT.

no. I picked up gw2 a long time ago on g2a for like 10 bucks, only reason I did get it was cause it was so cheap, I played it for maybe a month and havent been back since, new expansion never interested me, never had any urge to even look up anything gw2, until I seen this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Razael View Post
    HoT any decent now for a uber casual player ?
    Too play mostly solo aswell.
    I haven't bought the expansion yet due to the mostly negative feedback i seen about it and its new grindy , unfriendly for soloing direction it took with HoT.
    So far I have been having fun. I don't like Tangled Depths at all but the other maps are quite nice. I am disappointed because it's still only 4 maps. One could maybe argue that you could double that to 8 maps because of the overlapping elements but the amount of content is less than it should have been. I have done everything solo so far.

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I really want to buy HoT so I can return to the game...but here where I live the thing costs like 200 bucks in my currency. For an expansion pack where most of the community says that isn't worth it, I won't "waste" my money yet.

Deleted
    Nope; it is still installed on both of my computers but i haven't clicked on it... since about 2 weeks into HoT.

So i figure this is the right place to ask my questions:
    Is it worth comming back?
    Is there anything new ever since start of HoT?
    Is there any new way to make gold as a casual player? (I wanted to save up some for the nice balthazar's hammer transmog, but the farm was just too much of a borefest)

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victorya View Post
    I really want to buy HoT so I can return to the game...but here where I live the thing costs like 200 bucks in my currency. For an expansion pack where most of the community says that isn't worth it, I won't "waste" my money yet.
    200 bucks? Ouch. =(
    I would say with the april patch HoT became "worth", but 200 bucks are definitely too much.

Regarding the thread title: yes, although I have taken a little break a while ago. But that happens with every game I play, so it's not exclusive to GW2.
    After WoW, GW2 is the mmo I play the most (with little trips to WildStar and/or Rift). Not sure what would've happend, if GW2 was the only mmo I play. Guess I would be bored a bit. But the atmosphere always draws me back.

The HoT zones are so breathtaking. :3
    Even Tangled Depths... I hate to navigate in this zone, but there are some really beautiful places. *sigh*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmago View Post
    Nope; it is still installed on both of my computers but i haven't clicked on it... since about 2 weeks into HoT.

So i figure this is the right place to ask my questions:
    Is it worth comming back?
    Is there anything new ever since start of HoT?
    Is there any new way to make gold as a casual player? (I wanted to save up some for the nice balthazar's hammer transmog, but the farm was just too much of a borefest)
    Worth coming back?

Depends on why you left/what motivates you.
    HoT had a loot issue when it was released, thats been corrected.

Is there anything new since the start of HoT?

Raid wings 1,2,3.
    Prequel to LS3 has started, small events have been added over the past month or so. Some NPCs have new dialogue about unrest in DR, LS3 should be out sometime within the next couple of weeks
    The old WvW map is back. Low pop servers are now partnered with other low pop servers or larger servers to fix population problems (without getting too much into detail, WvW mergers haven't been merged and the pairings are only temporary). Alpine and Desert Borderlands will be featured side by side in future matchups.

New ways to make gold?

Dungeon gold has been buffed. There is a gold reward tied to running x number of unique dungeons (story mode or explore, doesn't matter) for a gold reward. You can repeat this indefinitely.

Fractals have been rebalanced to get rid of damage sponges. Cliffside was slightly reworked to make it more time efficient. Completely fractal dailies is a lot more time efficent (for instance, if Cliffisde is the daily and you the tier 4 verison of it, you also get rewards for tiers 1-3 without having to actually ran the same map 4 times)

Related to fixing loot on HoT maps, theres a lot more chest, and its a lot easier to get keys for said chest, on HoT maps.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victorya View Post
    I wasn't worth it at launch but its fine now, not sure about $200 though...unless thats what games go for there anyway.

I don't know how international game buying goes but is it impossible to get from someone online cheaper?

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Worth coming back?

Depends on why you left/what motivates you.
    HoT had a loot issue when it was released, thats been corrected.

Is there anything new since the start of HoT?

Raid wings 1,2,3.
    Prequel to LS3 has started, small events have been added over the past month or so. Some NPCs have new dialogue about unrest in DR, LS3 should be out sometime within the next couple of weeks
    The old WvW map is back. Low pop servers are now partnered with other low pop servers or larger servers to fix population problems (without getting too much into detail, WvW mergers haven't been merged and the pairings are only temporary). Alpine and Desert Borderlands will be featured side by side in future matchups.

New ways to make gold?

Dungeon gold has been buffed. There is a gold reward tied to running x number of unique dungeons (story mode or explore, doesn't matter) for a gold reward. You can repeat this indefinitely.

Fractals have been rebalanced to get rid of damage sponges. Cliffside was slightly reworked to make it more time efficient. Completely fractal dailies is a lot more time efficent (for instance, if Cliffisde is the daily and you the tier 4 verison of it, you also get rewards for tiers 1-3 without having to actually ran the same map 4 times)

Related to fixing loot on HoT maps, theres a lot more chest, and its a lot easier to get keys for said chest, on HoT maps.

- - - Updated - - -

I wasn't worth it at launch but its fine now, not sure about $200 though...unless thats what games go for there anyway.

I don't know how international game buying goes but is it impossible to get from someone online cheaper?
    The problem with that is that 1 dollar = 3.5 real.

So, if the game costs 60 dollars, usually it will end up as 180 real + taxes, which will end up even more pricey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Has the living world story started up again since the expansion launched? I checked a few months back and It hadn't for some reason, cba installing the game just to check. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Solidito View Post
    Has the living world story started up again since the expansion launched? I checked a few months back and It hadn't for some reason, cba installing the game just to check. thanks
    They've been doing little teaser events, but it hasn't started yet. The teaser events are pretty useless little events to earn some achievements.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    They've been doing little teaser events, but it hasn't started yet. The teaser events are pretty useless little events to earn some achievements.
    Yea the next story season should be starting soon, not at all sure how soon though

GW2 needs its WOTLK to TBC, because HoT might have appealed to an E-sport PvP minority and raiders, but it literally killed everyone elses interest.

GW2 needs to go "back" to a casual game and completley abandon the idea of making hardcore content, its actually damaging the game now, in a bad way.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainV View Post
    GW2 needs its WOTLK to TBC, because HoT might have appealed to an E-sport PvP minority and raiders, but it literally killed everyone elses interest.

GW2 needs to go "back" to a casual game and completley abandon the idea of making hardcore content, its actually damaging the game now, in a bad way.
    Actually they've reached a pretty happy equilibrium now since they went back and updated the HoT maps, they are far more casual friendly now. The fact raiding exists doesn't really hurt anyone, except maybe in their own imaginations. The biggest issue atm is there's been too long of a lag between HoT coming out and the new Living Story picking up... which has more to do with the need to go back over the HoT maps than it does to do with raiding or esports things.