Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    I actually liked the second arc. My only real complaint about it is that the first 4 episodes are a little slow. Everything after episode 18 is fucking great. I mean come on, how could you not love this scene? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTo8ZfLolwM
    Honestly, the second Arc was probably among the greatest letdowns in Anime ever for me. It started so great, and then...I was just like "...is that it?".
    Same goes for S2 to some extent, even though it wasn't as bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    Honestly, the second Arc was probably among the greatest letdowns in Anime ever for me. It started so great, and then...I was just like "...is that it?".
    Same goes for S2 to some extent, even though it wasn't as bad.
    What was such a letdown about it? I mean, I have an idea, but I'm not the kind of person to tell someone what they think. If you need to get into specifics, we can use spoiler tags.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    What was such a letdown about it? I mean, I have an idea, but I'm not the kind of person to tell someone what they think. If you need to get into specifics, we can use spoiler tags.
    Most of it just evolved around Asuna - my favourite character at this point being a captive for some kind of weird, (in my opinion) really bad villain. They completely butchered her character - which started out to be so great. Even thought this already started over the course of Arc1.
    Also, it just wasn't exciting to me in general. How they continued the whole story - it just felt like they had to add something instead of letting it be finished at a point where it would have been a great ending. Arc 2 wasn't exciting to me. I didn't like the world, I didn't like the story, I didn't like the characters and how they acted - and some parts were just flat-out /weird/ and left me speechless (I am looking at you, tentacle parts...)

Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    Most of it just evolved around Asuna - my favourite character at this point being a captive for some kind of weird, (in my opinion) really bad villain. They completely butchered her character - which started out to be so great. Even thought this already started over the course of Arc1.
    Also, it just wasn't exciting to me in general. How they continued the whole story - it just felt like they had to add something instead of letting it be finished at a point where it would have been a great ending. Arc 2 wasn't exciting to me. I didn't like the world, I didn't like the story, I didn't like the characters and how they acted - and some parts were just flat-out /weird/ and left me speechless (I am looking at you, tentacle parts...)
    Well, you're certainly not alone in that opinion. It's one that many many people share. And I can't even say that you're wrong for the most part, but I do see things in a very different way. One thing that you are wrong about is the reason why Fairy Dance exists. It wasn't made just because they had to keep adding stuff, but SAO was originally not an anime. Nothing in SAO has been made as a cash grab, because the entire thing existed as a first draft on Reki Kawahara's website long before he even got published. This started back in 2001, and was fully completed by 2006 if I'm not mistaken. Then when one of his other books, (a short story called Accel World) won first place in a writing contest held by Dengeki Bunko they approached Kawahara and took a look at his website. They made a deal with him, and they started publishing both Sword Art Online and Accel World. Part of the deal was that Kawahara would do a full rewrite of both series using the normal process that writers employed by their company use. So he was given an editor and told to go ham. Season 1 ends at the end of Fairy Dance Vol 2, which is book 4 of SAO. The manuscript Kawahara originally had on his website covered what has now become books 1-18. Aincrad is books 1-2, Fairy Dance is 3-4, The Phantom Bullet is 5-6, Mother's Rosary is 7, Caliber and some other side stories is 8. Those first 8 books have all just been buildup for Alicization, what may very well be the final arc of SAO. Alicization is books 9-18, literally more than the rest of the series put together. So even if it seems like there's no point to Fairy Dance, there most certainly is. Now, whether SAO continues after Alicization or not, that's currently up in the air. We should know officially within the next 6 months or so.

See, this is why I always hit the character limit on Reddit. I see one sentence and type up an 1800 character response to it... Anywho, let's talk opinion! I respect that you think Sugou is a weird and bad villain, but I disagree. I think he's just very atypical compared to most anime villains. I don't know if you think this, but there's this odd perception that a lot of people have, that the only realistic villains are those that think themselves to be the good guys. The reality, is that people like Sugou are all too common in real life. Sugou is almost cartoonishly evil, but you can say the same about real world serial killers like the BTK Killer or the Scarborough Rapist. Sugou doesn't think he's the good guy, he doesn't think in those terms at all and if you asked him he would probably say that good and evil do not exist. He simply takes what he wants. Someone's life? He takes it. Someone's freedom? He takes it. Someone's free will? He takes it. A woman's body? He takes it. Sugou presents an uncomfortable truth, that sometimes real people ARE cartoonishly evil and needlessly cruel. The reason I think Sugou is a great villain, is because on some level he's real and that kind of scares me. Sure, the name and face might be different, but there is a non-zero chance that one day it could be you or me that Sugou is trying to stab to death in a dark parking lot at night.

I also contest the point that Asuna's character was "butchered." Her being captured was not in any way her fault, and there's nothing she could have realistically done to make her situation better. Fuck, I'll admit it, if I was stuck in a cage for 4 months I'd have cracked. I certainly wouldn't have thought to use the mirror to bypass the rendering distance to see the door code. One could argue, "Why did Reki Kawahara write it that way in the first place?" And to that I say, that's a very boring way to approach storytelling. Bad writers add or subtract things from the story based on what they think people will like or dislike, or to present some kind philosophical or moral talking point. Pandering to one viewpoint or another. Good writers create characters and then let the events flow naturally from those characters. That's why Matthew Stover says no outline survives contact with the characters. That's why George R.R. Martin has said that sometimes the characters of A Song of Ice and Fire mess up HIS plans and not the other way around. I guess you could think of it kind of like method acting, but for writers. I think Kawahara is absolutely that kind of writer. One of Sugou's assistants didn't try to tentacle rape Asuna because Kawahara arbitrarily decided he wanted a tentacle rape scene. It happened, because that character is a piece of shit. Because he's the kind of person that would go, "Oh, this woman is defenseless and it's very unlikely my actions will have any kind of consequences. I'm horny and it would feel good to rape her, so fuck it." That's why I think SAO is such a masterpiece, it truly does not pander. It's not afraid to explore the darkest parts of human nature. Bad people in this show aren't just sorta bad but kind of likable in a strange way, they're ordinary people that are really really bad and thus they've made the choice that they're going to murder and rape people.
    Last edited by OrcsRLame; 2016-06-13 at 08:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maaanwell View Post
    an this is why i fucking love you. So opinionated
    Let's be honest here, I'm just a douchebag that likes to hear himself talk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    Too many to make a list. I'd like to play some guitar with @Zulkhan
    This guy.

Because Ramsey Bolton is the true Warden of the North.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Maaanwell View Post
    just watch ippo man. its filled with a man's romance.

an inspired this greatness!
    It's actually been on my watch list for awhile now. No guarantees when I'll get to it though. I'm notoriously unreliable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    As long as you don't think I'm your succubus again for some reason, then yes.
    but but zahvina...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    You know me now! /hello
    and knowing you is half the battle. the other half is defeating you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Eh, bread... This is not how you court women! Come here, let me spank you for bad behavior.
    your gonna have to match my elven swiftness first.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    I'd have a beer with any of you
    so bhow about them elven cheerleading squads yvaelle?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hexian View Post
    We had the OT dating thread. Now is the who would you like to chill with from OT for the day.

Mine:
    Bannzoman
    Tradewind
    Rich
    A good amount of people really. There are only a small handful of the regulars that I wouldn't want to meet in person. The majority though all seem like they'd be fun to be around.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    BritishBulldog

He is the only decent soul in this hellhole.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoibert the Bear View Post
    BritishBulldog

you mean the guy with the lich king fetish?

Formerly known as Arafal

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arafal123 View Post
    Yes, the one and only. He also shares a worship for Hakkar.

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoibert the Bear View Post
    BritishBulldog

I though he was the devil who ran this hellhole in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    so bhow about them elven cheerleading squads yvaelle?
    Dark elves do it better

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arafal123 View Post
    You don't choose who you love.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    Dark elves do it better

- - - Updated - - -

You don't choose who you love.
    night elves have the whole dance routine going for them.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Vizardlorde, I hear he's an awesome guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    night elves have the whole dance routine going for them.
    Night elves are the Fisher Price dark elves of Azeroth, I kind of lump Night Elves into the 'Dark Elf' family

Edit: This may require the context that I also consider WoW to be the Fisher Price of MMO's (I was once EverQuest hardcore).

Fisher Price, for non-NA people, make bright, soft plastic, kids toys for ages like 1-8.

Last edited by Yvaelle; 2016-06-13 at 11:03 PM.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    Pretty much whomever is on my friend-list, plus a few others.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

10+ Year Old Account
    @Celista

@Mooneye

@Crissi

And probably Jester Joe.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi