Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    The west was never really united, even after WW2 France and the UK were doing plenty that US didnt like and the reverse was also true. We are as united as ever, we just have a 24 hour news cycle that makes the world worse than it is.

We need to bring back public decorum, politeness, or the "dont be a dick" rule to the public, because it seems to have faded for some reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Algy View Post
    We need to bring back public decorum, politeness, or the "dont be a dick" rule to the public, because it seems to have faded for some reason.
    Well you cant have those things and being anonymous on the interwebz

10+ Year Old Account
    Unity is overrated, it's conflict that drives our species.

A common enemy is probably the only way our country will unite. Thanks to Obama and all these SJWs, our country is more divided than it's ever been since I can remember.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Well you cant have those things and being anonymous on the interwebz
    Well you can, just some people have issues disassociating internet trololololo you with irl you I feel. :3

Quote Originally Posted by Vargulf View Post
    the MIDwest and the valleys are doing fine, its you mother fucking people on the coasts that fuck everything up. Literally, youre the worst type of person.

If i were trump id build two walls, one on the western side of the rockies and one on the eastern side of the appalachians.
    Lol, why build a wall though? Just ban cars/ motor/jet./vehicles of any type!
    We like bans right?
    Those fix everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Mentia View Post
    A common enemy is probably the only way our country will unite. Thanks to Obama and all these SJWs, our country is more divided than it's ever been since I can remember.
    What is Obama and the SJWs doing to cause such a divide?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Stop exporting shit like the Kardashians, etc.. No wonder everything falls apart. lol

You used to bless the world with the likes of Monroe, Russell, Bogart, Gable, Welles.. that's when stuff was still kind of awesome.
    And nowadays? The Kardashians and Chrisley's and the Duck Dynasty.. come on man..
    To many idiots sadly seem to like that crap...

Quote Originally Posted by Mentia View Post
    60's and part of the 70's are calling....but you said "that you can remember" so...I figure you were born well after those time periods OR don't do a lot of history reading.

You are correct though, this is a nation VERY much divided.
    We better learn how to talk to each other (not the screaming/guilt tripping shit we do now) or it will continue to be so...I would even venture to say it "could" lead to another ...well, I wont say it so...maybe it wont happen.

Unless we have another Giant war WW2 style...that seemed to unite the states, so did the start of the Gulf war ..2...not so much when we went to Iraq though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Another thing that is thanks to all the idiots...

10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing. Some people assume internet battles need to come into real life.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by enragedgorilla View Post
    60's and part of the 70's are calling....but you said "that you can remember" so...I figure you were born well after those time periods OR don't do a lot of history reading.

You are correct though, this is a nation VERY much divided.
    We better learn how to talk to each other (not the screaming/guilt tripping shit we do now) or it will continue to be so...I would even venture to say it "could" lead to another ...well, I wont say it so...maybe it wont happen.

Unless we have another Giant war WW2 style...that seemed to unite the states, so did the start of the Gulf war ..2...not so much when we went to Iraq though.
    To think... things are more divided now than they were during the civil war......

Shhhhhh......
    We are friend with Russia.. I know there are some on either side, that get sexually tickled over that prospect of being arch enemies..
    but, in reality..
    We are enjoying our partnership with the Russians in space on a daily basis. Be it Americans or Europeans.
    So, that threat, isn't really existing.

The divide is real though.
    Thing is, the divide always existed.
    Here's my take:
    The modern world was shook to it's core last century because of the two world wars.
    We've all learned from those wars. They were a wake up call. And put humanity into the front seat.
    That worked wonderfully, for the most part. Yes, the road was a bit bumpy, but still we've enjoyed a smooth ride.
    Until rather recently now.
    I think, it has a lot to do with the generations that actually experienced those wars are dying out. There aren't many people left who've gone through WW2, let alone WW1. The following generations fail to grasp the concept of war completely. They never had to experience the horrors. So, war, to them is an irrational thing. Adding to this is the times we're living in. We get war news delivered in ways that don't properly reflect what they actually mean.
    So, we're getting desensitized.
    That's more than apparent, if we pay attention how a large portion of western society shifts towards the right. Into the very direction that thrown us into the deaths of 10s of millions of people, some 80 - 70 years ago.
    But there's still large portion left that refuses to shift to the right too. That has not yet forgotten.
    And that creates that divide.

That's my observation about that.
    I agree with most of this. I think however, the problem is the world shifting too far to the left. Allowing crazy things to happen like "open borders". Thinking that it is the West's responsibility to let 5+ billion people in from the 3rd world and take care of them which isn't economically viable and is sure to kill your own nationality in the process.

The biggest problem though is greed and the media. Greedy corporations that own the media and flood it with misinformation. Now because of greedy corporations the the bought out media-our actions in the last 2 decades coupled with the actions of terrorists and newly created terrorists we now have the world today. The western leaders of the world have tried to play the "guilt card" on western citizens for the actions of a few of them. Thus Europe let in millions of refugee's(refugee's created by western agents I'm sure) who mainly now live off of the tax payers of those countries while only increasing the crime rate and segregating themselves and creating ghetto's and "no go" zones for police. Which helped lead to the Paris attack last year and why the surviving terrorists were able to hide within the muslim population without being handed over to the police.

Now we have people in the Obama administration who are apart or have ties with The muslim brotherhood. CAIR was designated a terrorist organization by our own arab allies in the middle east yet they are invited to state dinners at the white house.
    ISIS was armed and funded by the Obama admin and Obama went on the air to the world and said "We are going to arm the moderate muslim rebels to fight assad" well, they then turned around and used those weapons to cause mass death and destruction while changing their name to ISIS. It is a huge shit sandwich and the western population has been told to take a huge bite.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by enragedgorilla View Post
    Lol, why build a wall though? Just ban cars/ motor/jet./vehicles of any type!
    We like bans right?
    Those fix everything.
    because banning illegal aliens is wrong, right Fuck our laws right? lol

- - - Updated - - -

Blaming everything on race, gender, and sexual orientation while being a hypocrite at the same time. Oh, and PC culture because..."other opinions and idea's are evil because they don't align with mine"

Shhhhhh......
    We are friend with Russia.. I know there are some on either side, that get sexually tickled over that prospect of being arch enemies..
    but, in reality..
    We are enjoying our partnership with the Russians in space on a daily basis. Be it Americans or Europeans.
    So, that threat, isn't really existing.

The divide is real though.
    Thing is, the divide always existed.
    Here's my take:
    The modern world was shook to it's core last century because of the two world wars.
    We've all learned from those wars. They were a wake up call. And put humanity into the front seat.
    That worked wonderfully, for the most part. Yes, the road was a bit bumpy, but still we've enjoyed a smooth ride.
    Until rather recently now.
    I think, it has a lot to do with the generations that actually experienced those wars are dying out. There aren't many people left who've gone through WW2, let alone WW1. The following generations fail to grasp the concept of war completely. They never had to experience the horrors. So, war, to them is an irrational thing. Adding to this is the times we're living in. We get war news delivered in ways that don't properly reflect what they actually mean.
    So, we're getting desensitized.
    That's more than apparent, if we pay attention how a large portion of western society shifts towards the right. Into the very direction that thrown us into the deaths of 10s of millions of people, some 80 - 70 years ago.
    But there's still large portion left that refuses to shift to the right too. That has not yet forgotten.
    And that creates that divide.

That's my observation about that.
    Haha you got that right on the sexual part.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Countries the UK has never invaded;

Andorra
    Belarus
    Bolivia
    Burundi
    Central African Republic
    Chad
    Congo, Republic of
    Guatemala
    Ivory Coast
    Kyrgyzstan
    Liechtenstein
    Luxembourg
    Mali
    Marshall Islands
    Monaco
    Mongolia
    Paraguay
    Sao Tome and Principe
    Sweden
    Tajikistan
    Uzbekistan
    Vatican City

- - - Updated - - -

"Political correctness" is what the elderly and confused call "health and safety."
    And its what sane people call the doom of human civilization.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    In times of all sorts of terror threats, econmical struggles and the revival of old conflicts I really have only one worry that actually makes me sad about our future above anything else.

That worry is that the people in Western countries are devided to the core. We don't seem to be standing united in anything these days.
    And ofcourse, devided we will also (eventually) fall.

What were our binding factors in the past? Christianity, Western values, all the hard earned rights and freedoms maybe? Or perhaps common enemies?
    And what actually binds us today? Nothing I would say. Everything that used to bind us is nearly gone and nothing seems to replace it as of yet.

The current situation IMO also makes it easier for history to repeat itself. Eventually shit will hit the fan (especially in Europe, but also in the US with it's growing internal struggles) and extreme leaders will rise and things will get out of hand.

Not much positivity from my end I guess
    What's your view on what still binds us in the West?
    We're going through a rough patch. We'll be fine.

The past 15 years have alienated people to the traditional right and left which has allowed extremists on the right and left their largest opening in decades. They'll fail of course, as they always do, because our "problems", such as they are, aren't solved by hard right or hard left sloganeering. Donald Trump, the UKIP, SYRIZA, PODEMOS, the National Front. All cut from the same counter-establishment cloth.

SJWs? Come back in five years and people will be like "oh I remember that term". All these things flare out. Anger has NEVER been an enduring political motivation. People, generally speaking, are not angry by inclination and can't sustain anger over years.

The political establishment needs to find it's voice and stand up for itself again. it needs to beat down these extremists and remind their constituencies that it was political consensus on the right and left that brought the West the highest standard of living the world has ever known. Far from being a failure, our politics are the historic picture of success. That isn't to say they're perfect - far from it actually. But they do deliver tangible, positive results, pretty regularly. That process takes time. I think a large part of it will be politicians in office between 2007 and 2011 just being cycled out of office naturally.

The best thing we can do right now is just get it out of our system and wait it out. We can't let our anger at "the elites" lead us to do anything irreversibly stupid (shut down NATO, BREXIT, building a stupid wall, etc).
    Last edited by Skroe; 2016-06-14 at 02:35 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    Yeah, this. Europe is more united now than ever in the past. Took us two world wars and hundreds of years of individual wars to finally create a Union and a Song Contest to stay reasonably friendly with eachother.
    Pretty much, yeah. Sure, there are differences, problems etc. - but especially Western/Nothern Europe is definitely more united than it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Shibito View Post
    And its what sane people call the doom of human civilization.
    Iain Banks — 'Political correctness is what right-wing bigots call what everybody else calls being polite'

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    What were our binding factors in the past? Christianity, Western values, all the hard earned rights and freedoms maybe? Or perhaps common enemies?
    And what actually binds us today? Nothing I would say. Everything that used to bind us is nearly gone and nothing seems to replace it as of yet.
    Esp Christianity has been so binding that religious wars, genocide, reformation, counter-reformation have killed entire nations, consumed millions and brought ruin to half the continent. Please, if you want to troll, at least pick a semi-believable position.

Europe was always divided. When there was temporarily no war, there was recovery and preparation for war. We had 70 years of RELATIVE peace (relative, because Greece, Yugoslavia etc beg to differ) because, and ONLY because, the horrors of WW2 have scared us straight. It's an exception, not the rule. People who remember it are dying out. People whose parents lived through it, are retiring slowly. Again, loudmouth cretins will rule who forgot (or rather, never knew) what it means to starve, die in the fucking trenches, lose loved ones, shit yourself to death from dysentery. And so, the cycle will repeat itself, like it always has, like it always will.

And I have the dubious pleasure to live in a place that's in the middle of this mess every time. The day WW3 starts, I'll just eat a bullet and be done with it.
    Last edited by mmoc4588e6de4f; 2016-06-14 at 02:52 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    The US is very divided. It's quite sad.

Multiculturalism will be the downfall of Western Civilization. But hey, as the last remnants of what was western civilization dies out, they can remember they earned all those social justice points.

Better to be dead than -possibly- offend somebody and be a racist / bigot / whateverphobe.

However, hopefully we elect somebody who wants to reignite the US image again, instead of promoting identity politics and progressing the cultural rot we are suffering from.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    The US is very divided. It's quite sad.

Multiculturalism will be the downfall of Western Civilization. But hey, as the last remnants of what was western civilization dies out, they can remember they earned all those social justice points.

Better to be dead than -possibly- offend somebody and be a racist / bigot / whateverphobe.

However, hopefully we elect somebody who wants to reignite the US image again, instead of promoting identity politics and progressing the cultural rot we are suffering from.
    I have yet to figure out the politically incorrect alternative. A world where everybody is free to call each other nigger, then stand their ground and shoot each other?