Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    Perhaps i misunderstood the context. I thought the Deadline Hollywood numbers were about the Studio putting $500 million into the movie itself.
    The only way that could possibly make sense would be if 100% of the gross box office flowed back to the studio, so a $500M breakeven would imply the studio had spent $500M overall on the movie.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Mytheros View Post
    In China it broke two records i believe -- opening weekend and I think the other was like highest pre-sales or something like that. So its doing "gang busters" as some older folks would say , as far as China goes.

But to your point about Garona -- I thought , and I feel a little silly admiting this, but I thought she was too attractive/sexy and too human looking to be Garona. Isn't the real lore that she's supposed to be Half Orc/Half Draenai but she "thinks" she's Half human?

Granted it didn't bother me a huge amount but I found it a little annoying and well -- weird.
    Um yes, that is because she did look human in the lore.

Birth and Early Life

"The birth of Garona was orchestrated by Gul'dan, who "bred" one of his orcish warriors to a draenei female. The result was a child that, as discovered later, looked surprisingly human."

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Garona_Halforcen

Quote Originally Posted by Eric The Midget View Post
    I gotta say reviewers usually know what they're doing. At least the professional ones do. I mean the films you see rated extremely high are pretty much always masterpieces and beloved by the masses too. Whereas if a reviewer tells me that Tyler Perrys newest movie is fucking garbage then I'll take their word for it because it most likely is.

Granted video game movies are never rated highly by critics which has to give them a bias going in which isn't going to help. Also there's a difference with common viewers and critics ratings. Viewers will quite often give the movie a 1 if they hate it or a 10 if they like it. That's a bullshit number that skews the viewer rating system. Just because you like a movie doesn't mean it's a ten and just because you hate it doesn't mean it's a 1.
    Really? Professional reviewers have a sketchy , at best, accuracy rating with movies I like to be honest. And while there is some merit that usually the movies they rate say like 90% and better are pretty much dead on...most of the time its not really hard for even NON professional reviewers to get such movies right. I mean like take LoTR for instance...(btw I actually know people that HATE LoTR movies....blows my mind but there you go individuality) I'm not a skilled reviewer by any stretch...yet I called it from the first trailer that LoTR was going to be a slam hit...wasn't really that hard....you had an epic , well known story, incredibly looking effects and vast anticipation for it to be a movie -- so I'm going to bow to the critics for getting that right? Nope.

All that aside though -- my main reason I don't really stock much with movie reviewers -- at the end of the day if you like a movie or not boils down to your personal tasted and opinion. I could list a dozen or more films that critics rated highly that I thought were steaming piles of shit....to mediocre at best. But because a critic rates it highly I'm supposed to kneel to that critics ruling and go "no you are right that movie was a masterpiece"....BS...

Star Wars....to me epic....near iconic (the original three films anyway).... there's plenty of people I know that think Star Wars is a steaming pile of crap.....Critics rated them all fairly high though.

The Dark Knight. Remember how people lost their minds over that film when it released? At least around here I do - everyone was talking about like it was a true work of art....the guys at work were ecstatic about it. I saw it years later for the first time and went "people spazzed over this?" ... I mean I think its a "good" movie -- but that's it. Again Critics largely praised it.

On the flip side....ever seen Olympus Has Fallen? I actually enjoy that movie, quite a bit actually. It has no real story to it but its a nice action flick that moves along nicely. RT rated it I think 47%......I think its worth high 70's - low 80s personally.

Anyway critics are loose guides in my world , at the most.....real reviews I take to heart are from friends, family , close co-workers who already seen it before me. I don't see myself changing from this system anytime soon.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Valkaneer View Post
    Um yes, that is because she did look human in the lore.

Birth and Early Life

"The birth of Garona was orchestrated by Gul'dan, who "bred" one of his orcish warriors to a draenei female. The result was a child that, as discovered later, looked surprisingly human."

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Garona_Halforcen

No shit moron..i didn't say because "she looked human" I said she looked TOO human.....

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Critically, the movie was a dud.

Domestically, the movie's performance in box offices has been completely unimpressive.

But its overseas cume has been record-breaking so it cannot be viewed as a total failure. We still do not know how much the Chinese bottom line will affect the movie's total performance but I'm sure we'll get clarification from the studio in coming weeks. I doubt they're disappointed with the film's overall performance but it still seems unlikely it will garner a sequel at this point.
    Total failure???? ROFL please it can't be viewed as anything but a success, that's just math.

Quote Originally Posted by re1gn1te View Post
    Total failure???? ROFL please it can't be viewed as anything but a success, that's just math.
    Just so we're on the same page here, two major metrics movies produced in America by American film makers are its domestic cume and its critical reception. Warcraft failed miserably on both of those fronts. The fact that it's had great success overseas is awesome -- but it is undeniable that the movie fell short of a lot of expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by re1gn1te View Post
    It's not a success until after it actually makes a profit.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    The only way that could possibly make sense would be if 100% of the gross box office flowed back to the studio, so a $500M breakeven would imply the studio had spent $500M overall on the movie.
    Now you are misunderstanding me. I am not speaking about the amount of the box office the Studio receives...I am talking about the amount the Studio invested into the movie total. I thought the Deadline Hollywood report was about the Studio putting $500 million total into the movie...not about the amount the movie needed to make in order for the studio to break even. Those numbers will of course be different.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Critically, the movie was a dud.

Domestically, the movie's performance in box offices has been completely unimpressive.

But its overseas cume has been record-breaking so it cannot be viewed as a total failure. We still do not know how much the Chinese bottom line will affect the movie's total performance but I'm sure we'll get clarification from the studio in coming weeks. I doubt they're disappointed with the film's overall performance but it still seems unlikely it will garner a sequel at this point.
    A movie is viewed as 'successful' when it grosses more money than it cost to make. Wow is not one of those movies. Just because foreign box office records were broken by it (low bar, in so many cases) doesn't mean it actually made it's money back. So yeah, record breaking viewership in some countries... unable to break even still, much less be profitable...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spotnick View Post
    They didn't lose money.. they already covered the production costs (thank you China), now the rest is paying the marketing costs, and the movie will still do some money in theatres and there will be DVDs of course and pay per view and getting money from cable channels.

Now the question is, is that enough to justify a sequel.. I'm not sure.

But they won't lose money out of this and will make some.

So it didn't flop, but the US box office is disappointing for sure.
    I would bet that before they even titled the movie they contracted for more than 1 film. Since we all know that Warcraft 2 and 3 both have better stories. You see, people are narrow minded on this website. If the movie didn't break even, it did at least show the protential revenue for a film. So worst case scenario is the next film has a smaller budget to fix this problem. Silly people on here all think they are business experts. (But since most of the sets are already bought and payed for. You know, and the CGI is all saved and done for many of the buildings and crap. It'll be cheaper anyway)
    Last edited by roahn the warlock; 2016-06-15 at 03:05 AM.
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

Quote Originally Posted by roahn the warlock View Post
    I would bet that before they even titled the movie they contracted for more than 1 film. Since we all know that Warcraft 2 and 3 both have better stories. You see, people are narrow minded on this website. If the movie didn't break even, it did at least show the protential revenue for a film. So worst case scenario is the next film has a smaller budget to fix this problem. Silly people on here all think they are business experts. (But since most of the sets are already bought and payed for. You know, and the CGI is all saved and done for many of the buildings and crap. It'll be cheaper anyway)
    It doesn't take a business expert to know that studios only care about the bottom line. If their bottom line isn't being met, they won't take another risk (that's what this was, a GIGANTIC FUCKING risk) on a second movie. You're looking at box office ticket sales, not the studio's cut of those ticket sales. The two numbers are vastly different and if it does gross $500 million world wide that doesn't mean the studio will make a profit.

That's why big budget shitters like Transformers get sequels. They draw far more than enough people needed to cover the costs of production and advertising... Not half what they need to break even (which doesn't even leave room to talk about the studio's share of the ticket sales).

Deleted
    I would bet that before they even titled the movie they contracted for more than 1 film. Since we all know that Warcraft 2 and 3 both have better stories.
    The shame being, they didn't even finish the Warcraft 1 story. Medivh is dead, Llane is dead, but the Orcs are still just in the Black Morass and Stormwind still stands. The Horde has their back against the Dark Portal, and they'd have to figure out some major horseshit reason why they wouldn't bring in the Dwarves and Lordaeron just wipe them out before they progress North and the Orcs can somehow claim all the land up to Hillsbrad.

Warcraft II: The second half of the beginning.
    Warcraft III: Should have been Warcraft II but you know.
    Warcraft IV: Viva Las Lordaeron
    Warcraft V: Arthas Boogaloo.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have 3 local AMC theatres. First AMC pulled the movie when the critics started coming in. Second Theater reduced showings to 4 from 8 and today was the last day for showings, they removed all showings for the rest of the week. The third theatre which is about 20 minutes away added a showing making a total of 4 during weekdays and 5 next weekend.

So if I wanna see it again I gotta hop over to the next town.

My God there is a lot of wrong thinking here. Of the 306 million in Ticket Sales reported by Box Office Mojo (an industry tracker) almost 2/3rd's goes to the Theater Owners! That is using the standard shares for the Studio & Distributor of; 51% US and Canada, 25% China, & 40% the rest of the world. Out of that 306 million using those rates the Studio & Distributor would get about 107 million which they split, usually 50/50. Of course big studios distribute their own films but that is is not the case here.

Breaking even at the Box Office is probably impossible for the studio. Of the 306 million to date their share is 53.5 million assuming the usual 50/50 split with the distributor applies. Obviously the distributor will get even a LOT faster than the studio since they are splitting the revenue but their reported costs are much less than the studios. That double the cost of filming + P&A rule of thumb only works when the studio is also the distributor which is not the case here.

Because of the different rates of return depending which market the movie is playing in it is damn near impossible to make predictions until you've got at least ten days or so in the theaters in every market and with staggered releases that's rarely possible. In this case its too early for that.

Finally DVD's and Streaming revenues. Does anyone think all of the China Box Office will lead to booming sales of DVD's and Blu-Rays ? If you do then you can help this Nigerian friend of mine who is having some problems. That leaves a much smaller pool who will want to buy these things. Probably the studio will finally break even once streaming kicks in but DVD sales may not be that good in North America if the B.O. is any indicator and it usually is. As for the rest of the world other than China tbh I have no idea of what would be reasonable to expect.
    Last edited by JDL49; 2016-06-15 at 06:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JDL49 View Post
    My God there is a lot of wrong thinking here. Of the 306 million in Ticket Sales reported by Box Office Mojo (an industry tracker) almost 2/3rd's goes to the Theater Owners! That is using the standard shares for the Studio & Distributor of; 51% US and Canada, 25% China, & 40% the rest of the world. Out of that 306 million using those rates the Studio & Distributor would get about 107 million which they split, usually 50/50. Of course big studios distribute their own films but that is is not the case here.
    The company that owns Legendary also owns a lot of the box office in China, so a bigger cut from China goes to the production studio.

I saw the movie. I give it a 3/10. The cgi was good and the towns/citys/buildings/areas were good. However it didnt follow the warcraft story very well or the characters stories. Was really bad for alot of the characters. Like with most activision blizzard products i was disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Noctifer616 View Post
    The company that owns Legendary also owns a lot of the box office in China, so a bigger cut from China goes to the production studio.
    Legendary maybe owned by a Chinese company, but it is still an American company headquartered in Burbank, California. China does not like money leaving their borders. I really doubt Legendary will see a significantly disproportionate amount of the China gross.

That's not quite how Hollywood works.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JDL49 View Post
    Nope. US theaters typically get the least amount of the profits the first week of release, they get around 15-20% of the gross, and that percentage rises the longer the film is on that screen. China works more than a little differently. Read this:

https://www.inverse.com/article/16716-warcraft-is-a-huge-hit-in-china-because-the-chinese-government-wanted-it-to-be

The entities that will share in the profits is incredibly complicated - and I'm sure that the article is just a vastly simplified version of how it actually works.

And, in China, Universal is distributing the movie, with a deal with CFG, the state owned distributor.

Breaking even at the Box Office is probably impossible for the studio. Of the 306 million to date their share is 53.5 million assuming the usual 50/50 split with the distributor applies. Obviously the distributor will get even a LOT faster than the studio since they are splitting the revenue but their reported costs are much less than the studios. That double the cost of filming + P&A rule of thumb only works when the studio is also the distributor which is not the case here.
    Considering your math is based on incredibly wrong thinking, we can ignore this paragraph completely.

Because of the different rates of return depending which market the movie is playing in it is damn near impossible to make predictions until you've got at least ten days or so in the theaters in every market and with staggered releases that's rarely possible. In this case its too early for that.
    This is the first factual statement you've made. Too bad it contradicts everything else you've posted so far.

Finally DVD's and Streaming revenues. Does anyone think all of the China Box Office will lead to booming sales of DVD's and Blu-Rays ? If you do then you can help this Nigerian friend of mine who is having some problems. That leaves a much smaller pool who will want to buy these things. Probably the studio will finally break even once streaming kicks in but DVD sales may not be that good in North America if the B.O. is any indicator and it usually is. As for the rest of the world other than China tbh I have no idea of what would be reasonable to expect.
    http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/the_hollywood_economist/2005/08/hollywoods_profits_demystified.html

Read, and educate yourself. They will make BANK on Warcraft in disk, streaming, and tv sales. They will more than make their money back.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
    That's not quite how Hollywood works.

- - - Updated - - -

Nope. US theaters typically get the least amount of the profits the first week of release, they get around 15-20% of the gross, and that percentage rises the longer the film is on that screen.
    This is not quite right.

http://www.rogerebert.com/letters/ho...ice-is-divided

This is a bit out of my area of expertise so I hope others with direct knowledge of theatrical booking will correct anything I say that is wrong but I wanted to correct the idea that as much as 90% of the movie ticket price goes to the studio.

When you hear figures that high...80-90 percent, that is AFTER a figure called the House Nut is deducted. The House Nut is supposed to be the operating costs of the theatre. In the case of a multiplex, it's the overall operating expense pro-rated by the seat count of each theatre. The reason I say "supposed to be" is because it's a negotiated figure that may or may not be real.

Anyway, they take the box office gross, deduct the nut, and THEN they split it by the high percentages you've heard, with the percentages usually changing each week, to gradually get less unfavorable to the exhibitor. This figure is then compared to a lesser percentage of the straight box office (without the nut deduction) and whichever is greater is the film rental owed the studio. There was a time in the past when exhibitors had to offer minimum guarantees, adding a third layer to this, but I believe that's gone away now.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

So the 40% rotten tomatoes thread is over?

Quote Originally Posted by Darktbs View Post
    So the 40% rotten tomatoes thread is over?
    Nah. People still desperately wanted this movie to be better than it received by critics. RT and Meta will still get put down when it comes to warcraft. At least until a movie comes out that is liked both sides, close to equally and then those sites will be great again.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Legendary maybe owned by a Chinese company, but it is still an American company headquartered in Burbank, California. China does not like money leaving their borders. I really doubt Legendary will see a significantly disproportionate amount of the China gross.
    I also wonder what deals were made before legendary was sold. This movie has been in the works a crazy number of years. As well as there were quite a few backers that have to be cut into the profit.
    Last edited by quras; 2016-06-15 at 01:16 PM.