Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Allerius View Post
    Self control does exist just like any other characteristic exists. The fact that telling someone to gain self control won't give them self control isn't the point. The point is that these people don't have self control and are ultimately responsible for their faults. Lots of people have quit smoking, and the ones who failed lacked willpower plain and simple. I also don't see why you keep bringing up smoking. Smokes contain dependence inducing substances that make it a lot harder to quit than simply changing your diet and exercising a bit. 99.9% of people used to be not be obese until about the 20th century, it really isn't this great task. You don't even need to starve yourself, just eat fibrous vegetables instead of binging on potato chips to relieve your hunger.
    Once again, you are talking about what people have to do to drop weight. Pretty sure every obese person knows what they have to do to become, ultimately, fit. What they don't know is how to get themselves to do it. You say, some just lack willpower. Well, it is the same as giving "42" as explanation. Okay, they lack willpower, now what? How do they gain one? It is much more complicated than "just do it", because people who cannot go for weight dropping do so for deep psychological reasons, which ultimately cause low willpower in this regard. A person can really want to drop weight, but they might have some other deep issues in life that prevent them from taking that route - again, listen to boogie on Youtube, he is a good example of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Allerius View Post
    As for your personal issues realize that either you lacked motivation or were weak willed. The task in front of you was clear and you chose to not do it. The only explanations were that you lacked motivation or willpower. The fact you exercise shows absolutely nothing as it is easy to do something you enjoy. I exercise pretty heavily too and it's easier than getting up in the morning because I personally enjoy it.
    No, I did have motivation and strong will. I'd tried everything I could find. I tried exposure ("go outside and ask 100 people stupid questions"), reading motivational books, reading psychological books, trying weird mental tricks - nothing helped, there just was this irrational fear, and it wouldn't go away no matter what I did, and it was debilitating. I did every damn thing I could think of or find any information on, and nope. Because all those things didn't address the core of the issue: social anxiety wasn't just there as a random disorder, it actually covered deep insecurities I had - but no one could explain to me what they were, and I wasn't mature enough to be able to figure them out.
    What helped? Simply growing up, realizing that people's opinions didn't actually affect my life much, that I can stand up to jerks and such. Can't say I no longer have any insecurities and weaknesses (hell, I have a huge lot), but that particular issue doesn't affect my life any more. All that "don't care what others think and gain confidence" mumbo-jumbo was a huge waste of time, sadly. In fact, I'd say, that advice did more harm than good, because, not being able to follow it, I thought something was wrong with me inherently, and it made it harder to get out of the old mindset.

Human characters are very complex and complicated entities. When a person has a major problem in life, it usually isn't caused by them just being bad at handling that particular problem - usually it means that there is something deep in their character that prevents them from solving this and a few other unrelated problems. That's why I hate it, absolutely hate it when someone, say, feels bad about a person online bullying them, and then someone says, "Omg, grow a thicker skin, wussy!". They don't know what skeletons this person has in their closet, what they might be going through, what old scars might be opened by the bully accidentally. Things are never so simple, and when someone has a huge problem or feels really bad, there are good reasons for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

To be fair, looking at her Wikipedia article it seems like she's very popular. If that's a direct result of her doing what she's meant to be doing then great - though I do think there's cause for concern regarding her health simply for the reason that if she is doing a good job then having her in good health is very important so that she can continue to help people.

Though if her polices happen to ever punish people for being overweight or eating poorly then that's another story entirely - politicians should set a good example in such cases. I believe that if a politician cracks down on expense scandals, for instance, and is exposed as being guilty themselves then they should be forced to step down.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortan Rich View Post
    She is qualified for the position but its clearly a case of do as I say and not as I do.
    Even so, would you take the word of a dentist with yellow teeth? I wouldn't.

You don't have to be thin to be educated about medicine and health. Is this a troll topic?
    Mother pus bucket!

The minister of public health should be competent. Looking like a model is not a requirement and shouldn't be.
    She could have a medical condition that causes those look, but is it any of our business? No it isn't.

Many posts here demostrate why their posters aren't suitable for the post: Lack of knowledge and insight about health. Something she apparently has.

10+ Year Old Account
    Does she know the subject matter sufficiently enough to perform her job within or beyond acceptable perimeters? If yes, then I don't see the issue.
    US - Eitrigg - <Bank Space is Magic>
    Delupi, Amoora, Jisu, Beahru, Rusa, Yeun, Neralyis, Usii, Razzil, Zaramja, Oshaz, Shawnie, Iziss, Gearsi(A)

Ministers and public service people, dont usually have the education that should go with the post. Here in Denmark, our Science Minister doesnt believe in evolution as an example...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan
    A minister of health should... be in good health.
    By what standard, and where is that written up in the job description?

Do you mean it along the lines of "the guy with his finger on the button for America's nuclear arsenal should be in good health?"

Like Reagan, who may have begun exhibiting signs of Alzheimer's much earlier than reported? http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzY4NT...rom=s1.8-1-1.1
    Or perhaps George W. Bush, with known problems controlling his drinking and a questionable approach to alchoholism?

@tithian gives a list of some of the other things she should be looking after and obesity has little relevance to them. As a side note, given the percentage of the Belgian population classed as obese, I wonder how her weight compares to other Belgians of her age.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Well, no. Not really reduced to anything. A minister of health should... be in good health.
    Why? Would you say someone in a wheelchair would not be able to do the job?

15+ Year Old Account
    She could be excellent at it, but she's certainly not inspiring confidence with her appearance.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    Why? Would you say someone in a wheelchair would not be able to do the job?
    A wheelchair is not usually a self-inflicted health problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    A wheelchair is not usually a self-inflicted health problem.
    Yes, but that was not what I was answering to. He said a minister of health should be in good health, and that is nonsense. What he probably meant is that a minister of health should strive to be in good health, and that is debatable.
    I also don't expect our minister of defense to have fired a single gun in his life, or know how to drive a tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    You are looking at it from wrong perspective. She will eat all who are too slow to run away. This will motivate people to exercise.
    I was thinking of a funny reply, but you beat me to it by miles, well put :-)

She looks Lovely & cuddly
    If she does the job then who cares about her size.

Anyway Fatter people live longer

http://healthland.time.com/2013/01/0...-of-mortality/

The longest lived among us aren’t necessarily those who are of normal weight, says a new study.
    According to new research this week in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), researchers
    say that being overweight may lead to a longer life.

The somewhat surprising conclusion comes from an enormous, detailed review of over 100 previously published research papers connecting body weight and mortality risk among 2.88 million study participants living around the world. The new research confirms that obese people, and particularly those who are extremely obese, tend to die earlier than those of normal weight. But the findings also suggest that people who are overweight (but not obese) may live longer than people with clinically normal body weight.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    @Shiift I don't recall you as Belgian, or even European, so what's your point? She is apparently popular in the country where she holds that position, and were I a citizen of that country I would rather have a minister who can coordinate things like the country's response to Ebola than someone who can teach yoga.
    Im dutch

Haha! Really?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post

So this is the Belgian minister of public health.

Now were not gonna shame fat people here, for all i know she has a gland disease or something.
    BUT should someone so incredibly out of shape be in charge of public health? Its allmost comical.

Shes a trained doctor. So she probably knows alot. But shes also a role model. A public figure.

Can you have a sloth for a president? A senator with facial tattoo's?
    Or do people have to be representatives to the job they represent?

Thoughts?
    No but in the world of politics they are mostly career politicians whom are lucky to have half a clue about their job specifics when given the title of minister.

OP's picture reminds me of this gem...

I may not agree with what you say but I will fight to the death to defend your right to say it.

10+ Year Old Account

More coffee was needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiift
    Im dutch
    Ah, that works better for me. Apologies, I was confused by recalling the poster who specifies he isn't the American Shiift -- unless I've gotten that mixed up as well.

Addendum: Yep, mixed that up as well, 'twas Slant and not Shiift.
    Last edited by shadowmouse; 2016-06-15 at 06:07 PM. Reason: attribution
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

If she is qualified, why does it matter? honestly, are you gonna critique any minister of health if they have ANY sort of health issues?

Is being healthy a requirement? Should we elect ministers based on how they look and not how good they are at their job?
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Everyone can, that's a scientific fact. It's this way of thinking - "I can't" that's what's wrong with people who "can't".
    No lol, that's not how it works. If she has an inactive thyroid for example, you can't.

There could be other diseases in combination with diabetes that prevent her from losing weight.

Not to mention there's also the mental fact, some people can't lose weight simply because it's heavy on them mentally, and that's something that they may never be able to break, or only can break when it's too late for them to change it around.

You are trying to be doctor here, but you are obviously so damn clueless, I'm just facepalming through everything you've written so far.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    Im dutch
    That explains enough.