Thread: Resident Evil 7

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Looks and reads like it'll be Alien: Isolation Resident Evil edition. Not that I mind as this would steer the franchise out of the heavy action direction it's been on since RE4 and squarely back in to the arms of survival horror in spades. Nice that there is a demo although I'll have to wait for first impressions since I don't own a PS4.

Wishlist:

Cut the action
    Stack on survival horror
    Classic creature design
    Vulnerable characters
    Good story which builds directly off of the Umbrella era
    No 'las plagas' parasite
    no QTEs
    Limited resources
    Zap system over the garbage swap system if multiple characters

On top of this, RE2master is in development so hopefully more news will spill in the near future. 2017 could be a great year for classic Resident Evil fans.

There's a Jimpression video now.

Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2016-06-14 at 06:11 PM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just played the teaser on PS4. Was pretty legit.
    Battletag(US): Bradski#11752
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What do you call a tsundere Wookie? Chew-b-b-baka

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    I think we have all been burned to much by Post RE4 RE games that we should wait till the game has more playability before we praise it. We have been burned enough for the past 10 some years?
    Personally I liked RE5 and RE6.

I didn't think they was gods gift but I did enjoy them, just some story elements pissed me off. But ether way RE6 style or RE1 style ill be happy.

The demo was slightly under 1080p and pulling 60fps

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Havent looked to into it as im downloading it and want to try it blind but apparently the demo includes a fireaxe weapon and the menu options list 'aim assist' which suggests its not another walking in the dark jump scare screamer streamer exercise.
    Ya it seems there may be hidden things in the demo and may even have more then one ending.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Multiple endings would be a nice replay value for RE for once instead of the usual score attack and ranking stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    *sigh*

I'm not even mad. Just disappointed.
    Just because its cannon doesnt mean it still can't be unique by distancing itself from the rubbish RE games. Which looks liek this is doing. It looks promising as someone who loved PT, and its nice to see RE go back to more a survival horror. It mioght be good it might suck... but I am interested
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Just because its cannon doesnt mean it still can't be unique by distancing itself from the rubbish RE games. Which looks liek this is doing. It looks promising as someone who loved PT, and its nice to see RE go back to more a survival horror. It mioght be good it might suck... but I am interested
    I see their unwillingness to abandon how ridiculous the canon has gotten as an inability to realize why they're so ridiculous.

But we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    I see their unwillingness to abandon how ridiculous the canon has gotten as an inability to realize why they're so ridiculous.

But we'll see.
    I think it depends on what they recognise. So far all we know is you are a regular civillian person investigating "ghost" sightings in a bayou mansion which we can assume are at a glance misunderstandings of biohazard related monsters and you are told "she" is "coming back". The only thing i can assume is Lisa Trevor which touches on everything while keeping it more contained to the loose thread of REmake. She just jumped down a hole and vanished and thats supposed to have killed the girl with genetics so messed up they pumped her full of things like the G virus to make the nemesis parasite? that always felt like a cheap end to her. Given the recent success of REmake and a REmake 2 on the horizon i would not be surprised if its a soft reset and its still all canon, but REmake 1 and maybe 2 are really what this is a sequel to.

unless its the Ashfords again but given how unpopular code veronica is i doubt it.

I always wanted a second Silent Hill: The Room game, with only the gameplay from inside the room...

Personally I liked RE5 and RE6.
    Im a pureist. I loved the classic fixed camera, Ultra limited inventory and puzzles of RE 0-3 and CVX. I enjoyed RE4 but i didnt consider it an RE game. I want survival puzzle horror back. Not action zombie game.

Well i tried it, 'beat it' in about 15 minutes and instantly realised at least one puzzle i had the solution to so it definitely has replay value.

First impressions is its not PT. It looks a little like it but it feels like condemned, resident evil, fatal frame and outlast mixed together. Resident Evil was a love letter to B movie horror and sci-fi of the west through a japanese cultural lens. This feels like the same for found footage and schlok horror.
    I'd have to see more to see if it gets the vibe of resident evil right, but so far my first impression is a stronger one than evil within left me with.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Im a pureist. I loved the classic fixed camera, Ultra limited inventory and puzzles of RE 0-3 and CVX. I enjoyed RE4 but i didnt consider it an RE game. I want survival puzzle horror back. Not action zombie game.
    REmake 2 is coming, at least.

According to Gamespot:
    If you're holding off on playing Resident Evil 7's demo in favor of waiting for the full game, then you might want to rethink that. Capcom confirmed to GameSpot that the demo is a prologue to Resident Evil 7 and a standalone experience--you won't find its content in the finished game. It also confirmed that the full game features a different protagonist than the one you play as in the demo.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/res.../1100-6440889/

Meaning the demo probably have absolutely nothing to do with the main game, and is simply made to give a feel of how the game is to be represented in the full release. Thus since the game is still canon I assume we'll say hello to some previously known characters? I hope they make a new protagonist though, but I'd not get mad at seeing anything, if even just a hint, of the previous protagonists. (Assuming they'll want some connection to the past installments)
    I did it
    I didn't do it
    FAKE NEWS
    What was the question?

the demo was only like 5min you wont miss much if you don't play it,kind of lame didn't get to try the combat in the demo no melee weapon no gun just nothing,still the demo atmosphere was pretty good,I'll give this POV RE approach a try.

Quote Originally Posted by PingPong View Post
    the demo was only like 5min you wont miss much if you don't play it,kind of lame didn't get to try the combat in the demo no melee weapon no gun just nothing,still the demo atmosphere was pretty good,I'll give this POV RE approach a try.
    no melee weapon? Seriously? Dude, You get the Axe, read about it:
    http://gamerant.com/resident-evil-7-...dings-secrets/
    http://stevivor.com/2016/06/resident...uncovered-far/

"Players can also collect an axe, though like the dummy finger, its purpose is unknown. While the Resident Evil VII demo won’t be in the main game, perhaps the axe is included in the demo just to give players an idea of what melee combat will be like in the final release. "

"There’s a lockpick near the microwave in the VHS portion of the demo. It unlocks a small drawer in the kitchen that provides an axe in the present-day… though no one can figure out what exactly it does. Video here."

"The axe can be used to break boxes on the second level of the house, and boxes near the telephone too. The only mannequin that can be destroyed is the one near the phone; the ones on the second level are seemingly invulnerable. Why?"
    Last edited by Slaughty8; 2016-06-15 at 01:12 PM.

I'm still looking around and theres more to be found if you dont just get the key and leave. For one thing if you find the fuse and access the attic you find an old photograph of a helicopter with the umbrella logo labeled "are they watching us?"

So apparently I missed that the release date was always January 24th.

Super hype now.

Yeah it looks pretty good. It seems to be taking the core gameplay idea of "you hear a noise beyond the fixed camera and have to walk up to it to see whats coming" and using first person to make that a more immersive experience. It seems like the whole game could just be "itchy tasty" in real time so the enemies start smart and human and gradually zombify and get dumber but also more damage resistant and persistent. If they can do that and make zombies threatening again then good on them.

Yeah I'm hoping we go back to the days where Zombies were an actual threat, rather than them being bullet sponges and only ever being in danger when you fought monsters.

Remembering when Crimson Head starting showing up, and then even later on, Hunters, in RE1. Jesus that was so scary and butt-clenching, it was great.

I hope we get back to that.

RE3's opening really showed them to be dangerous. Theres a great section in World War Z -which has an amazing audionovel- where an army general talks about how they are threatening and mentions things like "theres no supply lines to cut, no chains of command. lock them in a room and 3 years later they come out just as deadly. Your numbers can shrink from deaths and theirs can actually grow". In a game that appears to be set over a very bad 48 hours in a bayou zombies in fps can become a big threat again, something that ZOMBI U actually did quite well. If you don't kill the brain they just keep coming, they dont tire, they dont fear anything and cannot be distracted easily. So if the game starts texas chainsaw and ends more RE1 then i think thats a good balance of escalation which is one of RE's biggest weaknesses where in all the games they usually lose the horror and go action as the game goes on but this could actually be a case of doing the reverse. Forcing the player to slow down, keep quiet and pace themselves which would make for a very fun VR experience i imagine, but Condemned showed first person horror can be fun without being a slender em up dont look simulator.

I just want RE2 and 3 remastered allready for fucks sake. I want to do a full playthrough without having to go back to the cube versions.