Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Adblock = kinda antivirus thing, it blocks all the malware that sometimes gets to show as ads. If some asshole fucker tries to push malware in some ad it gets blocked. Have you seen some ads on shady sites? You DO NOT want to even view them, you never know what you may catch. Ads are third party content and i never trust third party. Noscript+ublock+canvas blocker. You don't need antivirus if you can't be infected.

Quote Originally Posted by Spray View Post
    This, thousand times. What is more, people need to realize that running a forum of such size is nowadays pretty much a full time job - datamining, recap posts on slow news days, partnerships, etc.

You're using AdBlock on a forum you like and frequently use? Why?

- - - Updated - - -

Sure, fuck those people who run awesome sites, fuck their revenue; if they are really so passionate, they should do it for free!
    You DO realize this site infected people with malware not once but at least TWICE due to ads right? I use adblock, noscript, ghostery and more EVERYWHERE. I do not risk my computer and my protected information to ANY website. Now if they opened up the option for donations I wager my small donation would be more than they would get from me in ad revenue for at least a few YEARS worth of views.

You DO realize just how little money one person viewing ads over time generates right?
    If this site died due to everyone using adblock another site would eventually pop-up and maybe they'd use a different way to generate income.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Master Higuchi View Post
    How is it a handout? You still have access to the site for free. The effort that goes into it makes it a lot more than just a hobby to pass the time. It's actual work.

Plus if everyone thought that way they would have to find new ways of advertising to make money, if it got bad enough eventually ads would probably have to go in the news on the front page which would annoy people even more.

There's no such thing as a free lunch people
    And if MMO-champ tried to pull that shit to find ways to bypass adblockers to force ads upon us, I and many others would leave this site faster than you could blink. There is no such thing as a free lunch does not apply in this situation. There are ways to provide this site to us safely and ad-free but those paths have not been taken.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sponsored posts = Same crap as spambots on forum.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Not if they need hand outs. You can write me a 1000 page thesis on why im wrong or whatever, but I'm not gonna give them, or anybody that uses annoying adds, money.
    Then you should probably stop using sites on the internet that you don't actively subscribe to. Whether you like it or not, many of the most popular sites on the internet that cost a substantial amount of money to run with several employees are ad supported.

As for "getting a real job", how would you expect websites to exist? Sure some fan created ones may pop up, but ultimately the costs of running such sites increases with traffic leading to advertising, donations, subscriptions or death.

Quote Originally Posted by TommiTMX View Post
    Then you should probably stop using sites on the internet that you don't actively subscribe to. Whether you like it or not, many of the most popular sites on the internet that cost a substantial amount of money to run with several employees are ad supported.

As for "getting a real job", how would you expect websites to exist? Sure some fan created ones may pop up, but ultimately the costs of running such sites increases with traffic leading to advertising, donations, subscriptions or death.
    How about we use the internet how ever we want? K? K. I'm not risking malware, keyloggers and so on because sites try and use ads that are not safe. This site has infected people with malware twice. 2 times too many if you ask me.

Guess what, some websites have subscriber options or donation options. Maybe that would be something I'd support. Not ads though, fuck no.

You're using AdBlock on a forum you like and frequently use? Why?

Sure, fuck those people who run awesome sites, fuck their revenue; if they are really so passionate, they should do it for free!

They keep some users/mods around simply because their posts are so batshit insane they turn threads into tens/hundreds of pages within hours.
    How can stuff like class guides that gathered a few thousands views and only 9 pages in 1 and a half years even compete?

Sweet sweet add revenue!

Also MMO-Champion has adds with sounds and malware. No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    How about we use the internet how ever we want? K? K. I'm not risking malware, keyloggers and so on because sites try and use ads that are not safe. This site has infected people with malware twice. 2 times too many if you ask me.

Guess what, some websites have subscriber options or donation options. Maybe that would be something I'd support. Not ads though, fuck no.
    "Maybe" is the key word there. Many likely wouldn't. I (personally) would much prefer a subscription option that removes ads (see below for more), and I agree entirely that malicious ads need to be stopped. The problem I have, is most people that use AdBlock (or any of its alternatives) would refuse to disable the addon even if ads were guaranteed as non-intrusive and safe.

While subscriptions would be a method for sites to cover their costs, I don't believe it's a sustainable model. One or two sites requiring a monthly/annual amount is one thing, but I don't believe that too many people would subscribe to 10+ websites that they might frequent. For those not subscribed, I can only assume that ads would display, if ads are displaying then AdBlock will probably still be employed, that leaves everything at the status quo.

P.S. There's no need for the condescension, it doesn't really assist you in making your point.

Adds are just annoying 99% of the time and totaly nothing ill be intersted in.

Also last time I did not used an add blocker it blew up my headset and made my ears bleed because annoying fucking add movie started to play at max volume out of clear blue so fuck that.

I get it they need it for funds but they brought this on them selves with annoying adds that peoplle feel the need to use add blockers.

Beside all other viruses and shit spread true them also brings a security risk I wont take.

Im fine with adds if they are save. Not automaticly play or at least be muted and they are actualy intersting things to show. And I have not seen one ever that i was like wow I want to know more!

But on topic sponser post are least annoying and you can chose to view them. Still better then get your ears poped out of no where.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Somehow I think they can figure it out... because out of all the websites I frequent, MMO-C and Wowhead are the worst, and few of the sites that I've ever seen use those sorts of ads.
    Both are owned by Curse. Boubs sold this site to curse back in like 2010 or something?

10+ Year Old Account
    Once ads stop being intrusive, obnoxious, bandwidth hogging, pop-up, auto-playing, priority-loading, and format-screwing, I'll turn adblock off.

The market has deemed that the way advertisers are going about advertising currently is not working. The "free hand of the market" should dictate that advertisers then change their game, instead of expecting people to change themselves to conform to how advertisers want to present ads.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Deleted
    Adblock ftw. I don't really put the sites income ahead of my own "well being" and my PC's wellbeing as long as they are so seemingly one sided in their coverage here. Last month there was a game breaking bug that messed up the CM leaderboards, arena ladder and allowed people to pretty much one shot mythic raid bosses. Coverage on this site could've added some pressure on Blizzard to address the issue but no. They rarely publish anything negative, they might as well be owned by Blizzard themselves. Rarely see anything critical brought up.

I certainly have no interest in doing "my part" if one chooses to be so "buddy buddy" with a company instead of looking out for the player base.

You're using AdBlock on a forum you like and frequently use? Why?!
    Because it can take 15 to 20 seconds to load ad content alone on my phone before the content even reacts to my inputs. The forums are fast and responsive without the ads and misreabley slow with them. They have a real impact on performance.

When I first installed add-block back in like...2012 or so, it was because of mmo-c. They had a HORRRRIBLE add that I even reported to these mods, but nothing was done...2-3 weeks later I just didnt bother.

now days I whitelist stuff on youtube like sub's etc.

Anyway one day i got malware thing from wowhead.com to!!!
    Last edited by Djuntas; 2016-06-15 at 12:18 PM.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

It's much better than annoying ads, popups, banners and all that other intrusive and obnoxious shit. In a better world, stuff like that would be illegal. Adblock only exists BECAUSE of aggressive advertising practices that take advantage of user traffic in an incredibly intrusive, shoddy and potentially security-impairing way.

The sponsored posts are the much less obtrusive and hindering option. They're clearly tagged as commercial threads that you can fully avoid and don't have to have forced upon you. As long as it helps the site and the advertisers think they can still squeeze out their profit out of it, whatever - it's an acceptable solution.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Sponsored posts = Same crap as spambots on forum.
    I'd rather have the spam bots. They go away after a while. This sponsored shit stays.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Pull My Finger View Post
    The sponsored posts are the much less obtrusive and hindering option. They're clearly tagged as commercial threads that you can fully avoid and don't have to have forced upon you. As long as it helps the site and the advertisers think they can still squeeze out their profit out of it, whatever - it's an acceptable solution.
    These sponsored posts are not clearly marked. It says "Sponsored Post" all the way on the right side, under the post's author name. English is read from left to right, so nobody gets over there before clicking. They need to either move the marking over to the left side, give it a special icon or color, or something if they really want to make it noticeable. But let's be honest, the whole point of sponsored content is to trick you into clicking it.

15+ Year Old Account

Hey, atleast there are always people like you around who are willing to suffer through the ads, thanks for keeping the site free for me buddy.
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

Quote Originally Posted by kabshiel View Post
    These sponsored posts are not clearly marked. It says "Sponsored Post" all the way on the right side, under the post's author name. English is read from left to right, so nobody gets over there before clicking. They need to either move the marking over to the left side, give it a special icon or color, or something if they really want to make it noticeable.
    Not sure if serious ...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Higuchi View Post
    How is it a handout? You still have access to the site for free. The effort that goes into it makes it a lot more than just a hobby to pass the time. It's actual work.

Plus if everyone thought that way they would have to find new ways of advertising to make money, if it got bad enough eventually ads would probably have to go in the news on the front page which would annoy people even more.

There's no such thing as a free lunch people

Nice arguments. Keeping adblock on and there's nothing you can do to stop me.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Nice arguments. Keeping adblock on and there's nothing you can do to stop me.
    Technically they could make a script to check if you're running adblock on the page and if you are they don't let you see the page.

Right? That's possible, right? I'm not a web dev I don't know lol.