Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Imagine if the world was suddenly attacked by aliens

Obviously we would lose because they would be far more advanced seeing as they mastered space travel but it kind of makes me think if their was one great threat to the world...would all the countries just forget about their disagreements and fight as one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jensxo View Post

Obviously we would lose because they would be far more advanced seeing as they mastered space travel but it kind of makes me think if their was one great threat to the world...would all the countries just forget about their disagreements and fight as one.
    I'm sure we wouldn't. If aliens would attack Africa, we wouldn't lift a finger. If aliens attacked the west, China and rest of the world wouldn't give a shit either. When was the last time a country did something genuinely to help another? Never i'd say.

If an alien attack happened, every country would try to defend themselves. Biggest chance of surviving, spreading troops is fast way to lose.

Only until the threat disappeared and we became restless. Think of Warcraft as an analogy. Every time a big threat appears we rally together to fight it, only to fight eachother after vanquishing it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by victork8 View Post
    If aliens would attack Africa, we wouldn't lift a finger.
    I think we'd have to intervene, lest we freely hand them a foothold on Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenik View Post

I think we'd have to intervene, lest we allow them a foothold on Earth freely.
    We wouldn't know their motives. "What if they only want Africa?". Sending troops to a desert somewhere, to fight for another country. Nah i can't see it happening.

How easy it is to discredit the obvious.

History tells of factual stories where governments have assisted in the over-throwing of other sovereign, democratically voted governments in the name of corporate interests. Why then, is it hard to conceive that we're being manipulated at home for similar interests?
    Because I don't believe that you, from podunk wherever, have more, better and reliable information than the FBI, the CIA and the Secret Service combined - along with whatever survelance abilities every other international government has on us as well to spot some "secret plot". (and, again, I must point out that conspiracy theories aren't allowed on these forums for a reason.)

Because if you read a history book you would see what is happening today is what has happened before durring the Civil War and every other time people ignore the lessons we learn from history in favor of their damnable self-interest - nobody talking to eachother and just end up believing their own selfish interests. Those interests form groups, then build their hate and fear up to a level where they no longer are capable of negotiation.

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Because if you read a history book you would see what is happening today is what has happened before durring the Civil War - nobody talking to eachother and just up and believing their own selfish interests. Those interests form groups, then build their hate and fear up to a level where they no longer are capable of negotiation.

The MASSIVE difference being that information is more readily available. Documents get leaked or declassified. New things emerge. This isnt the civil war era.

And did we all agree to this?

Last edited by Daymanmb; 2016-06-16 at 04:09 AM.

I've said since I was a kid that the world needs a Godzilla. :P Something massive that reminds people we're all human -and that is more important than race, sex, religion, political stance, favorite football team or whatever self-serving interest excuse people use to justify their hatred.

Of course though you're left with the problem of "what unites us when the threat is defeated." This is why unification through war alone is never a good thing... because if ultimately you conquer everything you by definition have nothing left to fight against and unite yourself, and thus your empire will fall apart as people will be turning on each other to find a threat to justify themselves... which is another way to look at my country of America as well now that I say it. :P

- - - Updated - - -

The MASSIVE difference being that information is more readily available. Documents get leaked or declassified. New things emerge. This isnt the civil war era.
    Again... I don't believe you have these "special secret documents" that apparently national global governments do not have.
    Last edited by mvaliz; 2016-06-16 at 04:03 AM.

Again... I don't believe you have these "special secret documents" that apparently national global governments do not have.
    Of course I don't. Don't be so silly. Youre argument of, "theyve done it before, but they wouldnt do it again, not to us" is a weak one.
    Last edited by Daymanmb; 2016-06-16 at 04:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    Well you know I am a staunch atheist so of course I can't support any kind of return to more religious values

However, as Voltaire and many others have pointed out, religion has been a very useful tool for social cohesion quite apart from its metaphysical insanities

I actually think the erosion of families (both extended and nuclear) is actually what is leading to poor social cohesion, since family and children create social shareholders who have a vested interest in the welfare of society, whereas independent and unattached individuals are more likely to pursue self-interest ahead of social needs
    aethism is a religion though just one without a god

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fang7986 View Post
    aethism is a religion though just one without a god
    Active denouncing of religion is not religion. It is like saying that anti-gun people are pro-gun people, just ones without guns.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Of course I don't. Don't be so silly. Youre argument of, "theyve done it before, but they wouldnt do it again, not to us" is a weak one.
    ...what? o_O

They? who is "they"!?! Dafuq are you talking about?

...what? o_O

They? who is "they"!?!
    Keep up, kid.

- - - Updated - - -

Dafuq are you talking about?
    If you dont know the topic, how are we having a discussion? And try to not get so worked up, its counter productive.

Keep up, kid.
    1) that's an insult post with calling people "kid" - so enjoy your incoming infraction(s)

2) I don't know what you mean by my arguing "they've done it before, but they wouldn't do it again - not to us". I said people are ignoring lessons in history books, and that's it. I'm not sure what the hell you are talking about.

1) that's an insult post with calling people "kid" - so enjoy your incoming infraction(s).
    Sorry for upsetting you. I talk like Indy, kid.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not sure what the hell you are talking about.
    How is getting angry helping you understand?

How is getting angry helping you understand?
    How's not explaining it or not answering my question to help me understand helping instead of providing a snarky response with no answer?

Quote Originally Posted by sethman75 View Post
    It wasn't just involved, it has been the central piece of our way of life.

Every pillar of our civilisation has had Christianity at it's core and is the main reason that the west prospered.
    Care to name a few?

Most of them actually go back to the Roman Empire and Republic, or the Greeks. Christianity just spent centuries co-opting civil institutions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

How's not explaining it or not answering my question to help me understand helping instead of providing a snarky response with no answer?
    Weve been too busy dealing with your anger and being offended.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Most of them actually go back to the Roman Empire and Republic, or the Greeks.
    Which adopted the Christian faith as the faith of the republic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consta...d_Christianity

Deleted
    Weve been too busy dealing with your anger and being offended.

- - - Updated - - -

That happened later on. Can't really pinpoint the success of the Roman Empire on Christianity.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think that it is a mistake to look backwards to find solutions to our problems. If anything, one of the distinguishing characteristics of the West has been our ability to put the past behind us and move on. Other parts of the world that remain bound to the past are still locked in disputes and hostilities from hundreds of years ago.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

You don't say. In about 300AD.

They also adopted sandals, I guess you could say sandals built all of Western civilisation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    I think that it is a mistake to look backwards to find solutions to our problems. If anything, one of the distinguishing characteristics of the West has been our ability to put the past behind us and move on. Other parts of the world that remain bound to the past are still locked in disputes and hostilities from hundreds of years ago.
    I entirely agree.

Especially when the idea of our past of cultural unity is a load of rose-tinted horsecrap. We spent thousands of years warring internally with ourselves, the most recent 50 years is probably the most peaceful and prosperous period in all of Western history.

Which is not to say we couldn't do better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.