Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Legion and Dalaran

Sorry if this has been asked, posted or mentioned in any other thread, but is Dalaran going to stay in Northrend come Legion?

The idea of moving it again seems a bit dumb and odd from a Lore standpoint, but from an in-game standpoint, it seems dumb to keep it in a completely different area then where we'll be spending most of our time.

Edit: Also, are Demon Hunters being released for those who already pre-ordered Legion during the Pre-patch or will they release with Legion? I'm only asking because I've heard they will release early, but that isn't normally how Blizzard has done things in the past.
    Last edited by Joeydivision82; 2016-06-16 at 06:36 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    It is required for the northrend questing. So yes it will still be there... but it will also be at the broken isles. Also yes it does make sense lore wise. As we're assaulting a island. We need a home base. And a floating magical city is pretty good. Also it's all of azeroth versus the demons. So we need everything. Even archeus hold flys over... I am confused what this thread is for actually
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Deleted
    As far as I know, there will be two Dalarans: one in Northrend for the sole purpose of the Wrath of the Lich King expansion, and the other one at the Broken Isles which will be the new Dalaran.
    I just wonder how they'll do Mage portals.

7+ Year Old Account
    Currently 47°, -122° ... Originally 53°, -9°
    Yes. Consider the one in Northrend something of a time bubble. Everything you do in Northrend takes place prior to any events in Legion. The old Dalaran will still be there, still with Rhonin as the leader of the Kirin Tor, even though canonically, he is dead after the events in Theramore during Cataclysm.

There will be portals to everywhere of note in the New Legion Dalaran. Except one to Dalaran in Northrend. For that, you'll have to Portal to the Shrine or Temple in Pandaria, then portal to it from there.

Hope this helps.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Altaica27 View Post
    As far as I know, there will be two Dalarans: one in Northrend for the sole purpose of the Wrath of the Lich King expansion, and the other one at the Broken Isles which will be the new Dalaran.
    If I recall correctly, there won't be a mage portal to the new Dalaran. There is a Dalaran specific hearthstone that you receive (much like the Garrison), and with Stormwind and Orgrimmar having portals to Dalaran, it's not a terrible inconvenience to mages.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Altaica27 View Post
    With a bit of luck we'll have Ancient, Old and New Dalaran, to add to the amazing confusion!

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    It is required for the northrend questing. So yes it will still be there... but it will also be at the broken isles. Also yes it does make sense lore wise. As we're assaulting a island. We need a home base. And a floating magical city is pretty good. Also it's all of azeroth versus the demons. So we need everything. Even archeus hold flys over... I am confused what this thread is for actually
    I think I summed it up pretty well. I asked where it'll be, I also stated my opinion on both possibilities. A little reading comprehension will tell you that the question I asked, that also had a '?' at the end of it implied that was the purpose of the post. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out.

7+ Year Old Account
    This is the biggest reason I have an issue with you FelPlague.

You can come into a thread and post something with useful information, such as the major part of your post:
    It is required for the northrend questing. So yes it will still be there... but it will also be at the broken isles. Also yes it does make sense lore wise. As we're assaulting a island. We need a home base. And a floating magical city is pretty good. Also it's all of azeroth versus the demons. So we need everything. Even archeus hold flys over...
    But then, right on it's heels you post something borderline douchey:
    I am confused what this thread is for actually
    It's because he was curious. Why does he need a reason to validate his curiosity. it's a community forum.

Every post you make starts out with some legitimate attempt at communicating, and then you always have to post something that makes you look like an arrogant pratt. It's abrasive, and it's unnecessary.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeydivision82 View Post
    Edit: Also, are Demon Hunters being released for those who already pre-ordered Legion during the Pre-patch or will they release with Legion? I'm only asking because I've heard they will release early, but that isn't normally how Blizzard has done things in the past.
    Pre-patch will release with the changes, such as cosmetics, etc.
    And then a couple of weeks later the Legion Pre-event will begin (Azeroth zones being attacked) and also at that same time (or maybe a little bit delayed) the DHs zone will be released to get them through the zone and into pre-Legion content.
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

Quote Originally Posted by Istenno View Post
    Yes. Consider the one in Northrend something of a time bubble. Everything you do in Northrend takes place prior to any events in Legion. The old Dalaran will still be there, still with Rhonin as the leader of the Kirin Tor, even though canonically, he is dead after the events in Theramore during Cataclysm.

There will be portals to everywhere of note in the New Legion Dalaran. Except one to Dalaran in Northrend. For that, you'll have to Portal to the Shrine or Temple in Pandaria, then portal to it from there.

Hope this helps.

- - - Updated - - -

If I recall correctly, there won't be a mage portal to the new Dalaran. There is a Dalaran specific hearthstone that you receive (much like the Garrison), and with Stormwind and Orgrimmar having portals to Dalaran, it's not a terrible inconvenience to mages.
    Awesome, thanks for explaining that.

So from what I gathered, we'll see it in Northrend, but when you're playing the Legion stuff, its technically not there anymore?

7+ Year Old Account

So from what I gathered, we'll see it in Northrend, but when you're playing the Legion stuff, its technically not there anymore?
    Exactly. From a lore perspective and storywise, it's moved. It has to mechanically for the game continue to be in Northrend for events and quests. You may go back to visit it with your character, but lore wise, it wouldn't be there. It's just a game technicality.

Sort of why Undead Priests can be Holy. Lore wise they are shadow. but... game balance and mechanics.

10+ Year Old Account

Lore-wise, yes. In terms of lore/RP there is only one Dalaran and it's in Broken Isles now. There will be a low-res old Dalaran in Northrend on a purely game mechanics basis.... because if they removed it, it would break WotLK content.

In terms of mage portals... mages don't get a new Dalaran portal, immediately they instead get a teleport to their class hall, which is in New Dalaran anyway. They retain the portal to Northrend Dalaran of course and later get a separate Broken Isles version. Everyone also gets the New Dalaran Hearthstone so you're free to set your own HS elsewhere, or set it in Dalaran too for double self-teleports. This is exactly like the Garrison Hearthstone in that respect.
    Last edited by Leih; 2016-06-16 at 03:20 PM.

awesome, thanks for the replies. This makes a lot more sense.

My original issue was it being dumb if they physically moved Dalaran the way they did the first time and it was absent from its previous location. I couldn't imagine in actually "breaking" the game mechanics for Northrend as the portal to Blasted Lands, Hellfire, and Draenor have been swapped around now and something along those lines could have been done if need be.

Nah, Blizzard's not silly enough that they'd completely break a major part of an expansion just because an element was being used in current lore.

We can still go to Outland even though the Dark Portal now directs to Draenor, lore-wise. Dalaran's still in Northrend; when we see it in MoP, Legion and the Legion pre-patch it's all in different times.

It's like how the Cataclysm raid End Time and Dragon Soul both take place in Dragonblight, but the original Dragonblight is still there for lower level questing, completely Old God free.

It's not 100% perfect, but as a general rule you can use your character's level not as a marker of their power relative to the rest of the world, but as an indication of when certain events are happening, at least when they are the right level for a zone/quest. For example, the Zandalari chain in STV at level 85 takes place well after the events when you level through it as a lower-level character, the Legion invasions will take place well after the storyline experience of each zone they take place in, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Istenno View Post
    There is Mage Portals, they just get a postfix with the continent name, its not the first "zone" that exists twice (ie. Nagrand) - although the first portal.

There is a simple quest somewhere near the beginning that will show a cinematic of them moving it from Icecrown to the Broken Isles.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    One of my char is a mage therefore In legion when I open my dalaran portal it should take me automatically to the new one.. Right?

Deleted
    Just like every character can be in more then 1 place, floating cities can be in more then one place (technically in a past time bubble)

Quote Originally Posted by orca2425 View Post
    One of my char is a mage therefore In legion when I open my dalaran portal it should take me automatically to the new one.. Right?
    No, that will take you to Wrath's Dalaran.

Quote Originally Posted by orca2425 View Post
    No. Your current Dalaran teleport/portal spells will take you to Northrend: Dalaran. Everyone will get a special hearthstone for Dal... just like the Garrison Hearthstone.

At level 105 mages can talk to the portal trainers and train the teleport Broken Isles: Dalaran spell, and at 110 they can learn the portal spell for it.

There is a NEW Dalaran ring for 200k that also ports you there. The old Dal ring takes you to Northrend Dal as expected.
    Last edited by Maudib; 2016-06-16 at 03:32 PM.

Weird there's a teleport ring, too. Wonder if that means the Hearthstone'll be wiped after Legion?