Thread: Solo-queuing

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by WskyDK View Post
    Today is my last day solo-queuing. It's an incredibly unpleasant experience; either you're rolling, or getting rolled.
    Not sure what metrics Blizzard uses to make the matches, but it's definitely off. I think in my 260 games, maybe a quarter of those were anything that could be called close.

How do you think Blizz could improve the solo-q experience?
    Thing is the game has just been released. There's a hidden MMR which is accurate to skill level, but it's hard to really make matches even for a few reasons. The main reason being is sure, most of you have similar win rates etc, sadly people are playing new chracters constantly and have no real intention on making good comps. Even in the higher MMRs you're having people trying out new characters which obviously won't hold up against the Genji or Widowmaker on the opposite time who have clocked 50 hours on said character. This leads to an experience which is nearly accurate with your skill level, but not at all due to people testing stuff out. Also when one team gets momentum players have a hard time stopping them by coordinating instead of just running in 1 by 1 and dying, leading to a quick loss. This will all change over time as people learn the game, but I'd give it a few months

I'd advise to take normal matches less seriously, not mind if you lose and just solely focus on your individual skill and prepare for ranked. Getting all worked up over normal matches isn't worth it, you lose site on getting better, fast.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I dunno, I queue solo for HotS and OW all the time. The former is turning me into an angry salt monster, the latter not nearly as much.
    I dunno, at least in HotS the stuck-as-that-character-you-picked excuse exists. I get frustrated pretty easily when we're pushing a last point, and we still have a sniper in the back somewhere not contributing much.

I just don't think it's sunk in for many of the people who solo-queue, that changing heroes is not only allowed, but encouraged.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nmityosaurus View Post
    Good post goes here
    I don't get upset when I get rolled by superior players (and there's a virtual infinite amount of them compared to me) but i do get pretty pissed when the team as a whole burns 5 minutes smashing our face into a wall, and no one changes, or I change to counter part of their comp and I'm the only one.

I'm extremely competitive, and I like the game, so I'm at a bit of a crossroads right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

I just get annoyed by the stubborn folk who refuse to switch heroes. I don't care how good you are at Hanzo or Widowmaker, we don't need BOTH of them if we're attacking.

Also get annoyed when, god forbid, I'd like to play something that isn't a support or tank. But I can't because we've all been there, you need a support and that last player always picks fucking Hanzo. Fine, I'll play support, so I pick Zenyatta and then the team gets mad at me for not picking mercy or lucio.

DAMN IT ALL
    The proper waifu is a wholesome supplement for one's intrinsic need for belonging and purpose.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mostly queue solo, and while you get the odd bad game, usually the next one's better. Occasionally if I've had 3 or 4 poor games in a row, I just take a break and watch some TV or do something else for a bit. If you're not grouped it's not like you're committed to stay there for the next 3 hours getting saltier. Then when you come back, mood improved, and get thrown in to a decent game it's all good again.

I solo all the time, and yes I can get easily frustrated into yelling at my screen. That's my quirk, not the teams fault, and a reason I don't mic a lot. Most of my games have been hard fought contests, where the game goes into lengthy overtimes to secure the win or defeat. There have been a few times were it's been a complete shutdown, which causes expletives to fly at my monitor.. then I nap and get the frustration out of my system and get back into enjoying myself. Though I guess I'm luckier when it comes to matchmaking, as I've also have had little in the way of salt from other players either so mehmoo.

10+ Year Old Account
    I only solo queue, matches are actually quite even most of the time. Haven't had many total stomps.

Deleted
    I dunno, at least in HotS the stuck-as-that-character-you-picked excuse exists. I get frustrated pretty easily when we're pushing a last point, and we still have a sniper in the back somewhere not contributing much.

I just don't think it's sunk in for many of the people who solo-queue, that changing heroes is not only allowed, but encouraged.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't get upset when I get rolled by superior players (and there's a virtual infinite amount of them compared to me) but i do get pretty pissed when the team as a whole burns 5 minutes smashing our face into a wall, and no one changes, or I change to counter part of their comp and I'm the only one.

I'm extremely competitive, and I like the game, so I'm at a bit of a crossroads right now.
    Ya I hear that, but rage quitting the game because you're losing normal modes isn't the way to go. If you're that competitive you will look past people not caring about winning or losing and focus solely getting better and dominating ranked Once you get high enough in ranked, everybody will tryhard at making a good comp etc.

Here's the thing, I don't think MMR really works well in this type of game. It's very possible that some games are matched with 12 equal skilled players, but the deciding factors could have such a big influence on the game, it produces those 1 sided stomps we all see. The basic problem is the game is trying to define player skill, which player skill itself can fluctuate wildly in a game with 21 different unique heroes we are expected to swap to at anytime.

For example, I'm best at Junkrat with the most time invested in him and where most of my positive MMR comes from. But if someone else on my team picks Junkrat and I have to go suck on another hero, then the game is no longer equally skilled.

Or if I want to get some practice at a sniper, which I suck at, I'm only going to be matched in high MMR rounds, and end up being a huge burden on my team.

Sometimes I would even go as far as to say they should just do away with MMR and go completely random. The worst thing that could happen would be one side would have far better players and it would be a stomp... because that's already happening right now, and a lot of people believe it's on purpose.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    Here's the thing, I don't think MMR really works well in this type of game. It's very possible that some games are matched with 12 equal skilled players, but the deciding factors could have such a big influence on the game, it produces those 1 sided stomps we all see. The basic problem is the game is trying to define player skill, which player skill itself can fluctuate wildly in a game with 21 different unique heroes we are expected to swap to at anytime.

For example, I'm best at Junkrat with the most time invested in him and where most of my positive MMR comes from. But if someone else on my team picks Junkrat and I have to go suck on another hero, then the game is no longer equally skilled.

Or if I want to get some practice at a sniper, which I suck at, I'm only going to be matched in high MMR rounds, and end up being a huge burden on my team.

Sometimes I would even go as far as to say they should just do away with MMR and go completely random. The worst thing that could happen would be one side would have far better players and it would be a stomp... because that's already happening right now, and a lot of people believe it's on purpose.
    Yup this is exactly the case Until people can get a handle on 3-4 different characters the MMR won't really mean much, give it a few months and it should even out

On a similar note, yesterday I patiently explained for the I-don't-know-how-manyth time to the guy in our garden terror that Blizzard changed it and the plant doesn't do damage anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

The main issue with solo queue is everyone wants to be Rambo badass flanker and the few people who actually enjoy healing and want to have a team comp that actually makes sense get sick of being stuck doing it every single game because of said "badass" Rambos. The best is when you reluctantly change to healer for the hundredth time after the rest of your "teammates" pick reaper, genji, hanzo, tracer, 76, and you ask one if one will play a tank and they respond with "you do it". Jesus Christ people can be so stupid.

Playing as a group this game is great, solo queue is the complete opposite.

Just played an attack game and it starts off well with a tank and support, i pick up the widow so we have a sniper and we get the rest filled out with decent picks.
    Not even 30 seconds into the game and both the tank and healer both go Widow and i just lose all enthusiasm to play...

the only thing i hate when solo queueing is when def team plays double torbjorn (+ bastion). Dont think i've won once against that composition. Sadly, happens quite often

Group q is a must. I simply don't play if I don't have a group to go with.
    Working on my next ban.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by t1saif View Post
    the only thing i hate when solo queueing is when def team plays double torbjorn (+ bastion). Dont think i've won once against that composition. Sadly, happens quite often
    I've done that in a few matches, but the only time it's worked was when the two of us were coordinating turrets, to cover each other, so that pushing to take one out exposed you to the second.

That's challenging, but there's plenty of ways around it; you just need to adapt and change to the right team comp. People are struggling with this stuff because so many players are sitting there saying "nah, I play Reaper, all the time". And then they face a team whose comp is really unfriendly to Reaper, and they complain that it's "unfair", rather than swapping to a more-appropriate hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Master Higuchi View Post
    Also get annoyed when, god forbid, I'd like to play something that isn't a support or tank. But I can't because we've all been there, you need a support and that last player always picks fucking Hanzo. Fine, I'll play support, so I pick Zenyatta and then the team gets mad at me for not picking mercy or lucio.
    Had someone queue in last night, we needed a support, picked Widowmaker and proceeded to shit it up for the whole match. I was Tracer, 3 golds, backline assassinating mercy, junkrat, and torb/turret pretty much constantly. I switch to Lucio at the final checkpoint, and for 6 minutes we just get rekt because nobody could push/kill anything.

Then the Widow starts shit talking because he crept up and got gold for eliminations. I played pretty much 10 hour shifts after launch for a week, and never saw any trash talk. Now it's in almost every match.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jingoism View Post
    Group q is a must. I simply don't play if I don't have a group to go with.
    My friends are kinda bad, so solo queue works out just as well for me.

I played saturday with a full premade of people in my area for the first time and we had a blast, the other teams didn't. Basically stomped the other team, I'd say 80% of the teams never made it out of spawn and most of those games the entire team was empty at the voting cards. It just wade me want to play solo less because I know the feeling of being on the opposite end of that.

Unfortunately since Blizzard designed this game to be a competitive shooter and hoping to rank high in the E-Sports category. It's going to have faults when it comes to the solo players.

I myself, joined a large community clan who accepts just about everyone. Played Diablo 3 with like 10 different members before OW release, and then once the game came out. My friends list exploded. There's almost always a full team to join games with, whether you play in NA or EU.

So it's definitely irritating that solo players have to suffer, but if you do like playing with people. I highly suggest joining large clans that way you can just bolster up your friends list.

Deleted
    i think solo players should be matched with solo players and people who group up should be matched with people who group up

Quote Originally Posted by FurryFoxWolf View Post
    i think solo players should be matched with solo players and people who group up should be matched with people who group up
    No they should not. You should adapt to the circumstances.

- - - Updated - - -

Today is my last day solo-queuing. It's an incredibly unpleasant experience; either you're rolling, or getting rolled.
    Not sure what metrics Blizzard uses to make the matches, but it's definitely off. I think in my 260 games, maybe a quarter of those were anything that could be called close.

How do you think Blizz could improve the solo-q experience?
    Never really had a major unpleasant experience per se. Had games I'd rather just forget but it happens.