Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    So you would take a 480 over a used 980ti at the same price?
    Wonder if used 980ti will ever be seen that low and if they do they will be bought instantly.. So the better question is who in their right mind would sell one that low?

As for the 970 and 980, now is the time to get rid of them as soon they won't be going for much more than $150 if the RX480 benchmarks hold true.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Wonder if used 980ti will ever be seen that low and if they do they will be bought instantly.. So the better question is who in their right mind would sell one that low?

As for the 970 and 980, now is the time to get rid of them as soon they won't be going for much more than $150 if the RX480 benchmarks hold true.
    Getting there, could barely believe this when I saw it.

I guess you get to pick your poison the OCed 1070 and 980ti perform right about the same and now that the 980ti has dropped in price things should be interesting. Personally I still went with 1070 just due to the simply fact it's the newer technology Better VR performance, Fast sync and Ansel game capture tech.

Last edited by Bigvizz; 2016-06-16 at 12:52 AM. Reason: Added some info

10+ Year Old Account
    Looking at the MSI GTX 1070 gaming X myself.... but just had my MSI A170 M3 mb die on me..... not too fond of MSI currently....

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    It's a problem that has been going on for a long time everywhere you look. But this is what makes AMD's 480 exciting. I'd be more interested in the 470, since rumors suggest it's a 480 but slightly slower.

As for dollars, well... it's hard to explain the price of products for everyone. Get used to using Google to figure out the cost for where you live. Generally, everyone outside of the US gets to pay a lot more for PC hardware, which just makes it even hardware to explain cost.
    Thats not exactly what i meant.

If someone clueless starts reading this place which they often do its always , not disastrous but weird.

If you follow this site everyone should have a 6660K a 100$ cooler should overclock to 4.5GHz and a 970/1070 bla bla even if they are planning to play League of Legends only.

The GPU should be EVGA for "support", PSU should be Seasonic and so on, you understand my point.

Thats my problem with these forums and always has been, its basically review readers and 5-10 people copying what they learnt over the years by other people and the stupid trend continues.

480 and 470 sounds amazing for the price they are gonna appear, aka 160-220$ which means 200-300e in Europe and they are gonna give the performance of a 970-980 for half the price which is amazing cause as i said, not everyone is gonna play Battlefield 1 at 4K and Ultra.

Therefor those little cards will be amazing, but at the same time i gave you an example:

Right now i can find a 970 around to 200-230e here, used for 1 year max and its always one of the good models like MSI G or Gigabyte etc.

Why buy a 470 thats gonna be in stock in about 1-2 months and as every new AMD card will go through a few driver problems or some terrible revision (looking at you 270X) etc etc and it wont be any performance difference?

The people that are running horrible little cards like 750 Ti or some older card like 660 or 560 etc etc should rush to buy these 970/960 that are so low and are gonna get lower.
    Last edited by potis; 2016-06-16 at 12:55 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    So you would take a 480 over a used 980ti at the same price?
    Hell no. The 980 Ti is clearly faster and has 2GB more memory. Plus, overclocking it gets you at 1080 performance. But who's going to sell a 980 Ti for the price of a RX 480? From 980 down, and R9 390 down I wouldn't touch for $200, especially used.
    Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    If you follow this site everyone should have a 6660K a 100$ cooler should overclock to 4.5GHz and a 970/1070 bla bla even if they are planning to play League of Legends only.

The GPU should be EVGA for "support", PSU should be Seasonic and so on, you understand my point.
    I know, and I've made my case many times here on the forum. Especially when it comes to CPUs. If you're building a €$500 PC, then AMD 860k. I would even say the FX 8320 is still a good CPU to get, for the price. But like most places on the internet, mob mentality rules.

Why buy a 470 thats gonna be in stock in about 1-2 months and as every new AMD card will go through a few driver problems or some terrible revision (looking at you 270X) etc etc and it wont be any performance difference?

The people that are running horrible little cards like 750 Ti or some older card like 660 or 560 etc etc should rush to buy these 970/960 that are so low and are gonna get lower.
    I'm looking at the R9 290 and 970's, because I expect those to be cheap. But used means you're getting other peoples problems, and at some point AMD has the right to stop supporting those older GPUs from their drivers. And AMD does put their hardware in legacy state much sooner than Nvidia. Probably have a few years before that happens but why deal with it?

Also I'm going to be watching the modding community with the RX 470, cause it could be unlockable to a 480, if rumors are true, and AMD didn't laser cut the chips. I'm hoping that 14nm is too small for AMD to mess with the chip physically.

Deleted
    Nvidia has actually lowered the prices of the 980ti, 980 and 970. It is even offering shops the difference in discounted vs normal price. I think it is 125 dollars for the 980ti, 50-75 dollars for the 980 and 25 dollars for the 970. It might also just be a period. A shop in NL said the pricing remains until July 31st I think.

Nvidia wants shops to clear stock, during the limited stock of the 1070/1080 I guess.

I think this is also the first time something like this is happening, although I could be wrong. I at least can't remember something like this happening for the 7xx series (which is actually already declared legacy by Nvidia...)

Do you reckon the 1070 will fare decently with 4k? I can live with turning down the settings to medium to get a good fps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    I think this is also the first time something like this is happening, although I could be wrong. I at least can't remember something like this happening for the 7xx series (which is actually already declared legacy by Nvidia...)
    I checked Nvidia's website and the drivers aren't legacy for the 700 series. Unless this is happening soon? These price drops were more common back then, so not many people remember. GeForce FX 5950 Ultra was Nvidia's top end, but once the 6000 series was released, nobody would buy this for any price. ATI kinda forced them to make drastic improvements.

Quote Originally Posted by Acelius View Post
    Do you reckon the 1070 will fare decently with 4k? I can live with turning down the settings to medium to get a good fps.
    I'd say so. More reviews do stupid things like run 4k with AA. You don't need AA at 4k.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    I checked Nvidia's website and the drivers aren't legacy for the 700 series. Unless this is happening soon?
    I don't really know how Nvidia is determining legacy. But the 7xx series is at their Legacy page.

Could be they call all EoL products legacy, but still provide driver support. Although that could be questionable seeing some performance differences between drivers for the 7xx series.

Quote Originally Posted by Acelius View Post
    I don't see the point in running at 4k if you have to turn settings down. Wouldn't things look better at 1440p on high/ultra than at 4k on low/medium? I'm geniunly curious, I really don't know. Just seems to me, if you can do Ultra at a lower resolution, that would be better. However, the 1070 will probably do 4k for a lot of things just fine. Some of the more modern demanding games, probably not. So it really depends on what games you will be playing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    I don't see the point in running at 4k if you have to turn settings down. Wouldn't things look better at 1440p on high/ultra than at 4k on low/medium? I'm geniunly curious, I really don't know. Just seems to me, if you can do Ultra at a lower resolution, that would be better. However, the 1070 will probably do 4k for a lot of things just fine. Some of the more modern demanding games, probably not. So it really depends on what games you will be playing.
    Resolution alone doesn't have anything to do with looking better or looking worse. What you get with higher DPIs (higher resolutions at the same size) is more pixels per area which translates into more details per area. Not necessarily better looking but more detailed regardless.

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    I regret cancelling my newegg 1070 order. Haven't been able to get a 1070 in forever, this sucks.