Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Isoe View Post
    Precisely, even at the time when there wasn't any portal, people mainly gathered in one city (Sure, Ironforge was closed to Blackrock moutain, which helped, but it wasn't that much closer than Stormwind). For a great part, people stayed there because they were used to, and because there were other people, which is always nice. Even with all the capitals being equals, I don't think many would hang out in the Exodar.
    That's because Ironforge was the only Alliance city with an auction house.

Why? Just because it would be cool or look good is not a valid reason, as it would take up too much time and resources to revamp all the capital cities.
    How often do you go to the exodar or silvermoon? How often do you go to any other capital apart from Stormwind for alliance and Orgrimmar for horde? Not that often.

So why should they take time and money to revamp all capital cities when close to no one will ever set their foot there?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    One problem, and there are many others, is that the cities have a fixed area. You can't make them much larger, as they have a surrounding world already.
    That didn't stop them last time they edited the cities. Worst case scenario is that the connecting zones would be slightly altered.

Quote Originally Posted by Lime View Post
    That didn't stop them last time they edited the cities. Worst case scenario is that the connecting zones would be slightly altered.
    exactly.. , Drewbacca, Lime is right, and Nymrohd is pointing out that in alpha IF and UC were much bigger but got reduced - sadly blizzard didn't think to give you transportation taxis, or teleportation points like you'd expect in an elven city, - imagine if you saw caravans moving along fixed routes you could jump on to take you places faster than running - or had hire points where a carriage would take you to the npcs you wanted.

it would have made fidning stuff so much easier, and would have been easier to implement than re-designing the city to be smaller.

anyway, what they simply do is expand the area around the city and the rest of the world stays the same, just that area the city has is much larger now.

Why would you revamp cities that no one ever comes to anymore?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    That's because Ironforge was the only Alliance city with an auction house.
    Nope, stormwind had one aswell. It was in a different location and less conveniently close to the bank then Ironforge.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

15+ Year Old Account
    The first step would be to fucking detach Silvermoon City from Outland, append it properly to EK and make flyable - which unfortunately requires rebulding the entire zone

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aakarshan View Post
    I think a good solution that meets halfway is to simply have each expansion feature a different racial city. Granted, I don't want it to be formulaic or predictable, but I think it'd be nice to see a return of Ironforge and Undercity for example.
    This. In 8.0 each faction should have a racial city as hub, and since the exodar will likely be flying away at the end of legion or start of 8.0, It would be obvious that the draenei city was updated. Maybe made into an Alliance hub (Spaceship hub?)

But what I am really excited for is that when this happens they could also remake Silvermoon into a hub and very cool city.
    And since half the horde plays Blood Elf anyway and since Lor'themars lore is increasing since pandaria, this might be a thing and I would love it

Undercity also needs an update and I am up for that too

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dominus89 View Post
    Why? Just because it would be cool or look good is not a valid reason, as it would take up too much time and resources to revamp all the capital cities.
    How often do you go to the exodar or silvermoon? How often do you go to any other capital apart from Stormwind for alliance and Orgrimmar for horde? Not that often.

So why should they take time and money to revamp all capital cities when close to no one will ever set their foot there?
    They would be useful if they were the new expansion hubs like Org and SW in cata

It'd be great if they did, however I would rather an extra raid tier or other content. Players only ever use Stormwind or Orgrimmar because of all the portals and transportation methods.

Quote Originally Posted by Julianor View Post
    They would be useful if they were the new expansion hubs like Org and SW in cata
    No they wouldn't, as there will always be a "main city" that everyone goes to.
    You cant have 5 different hubs.

I dont want less content that actually means something to get scrapped just cause of something as trivial as a revamp of the cities.
    Cause thats what would happen.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominus89 View Post
    No they wouldn't, as there will always be a "main city" that everyone goes to.
    You cant have 5 different hubs.

I dont want less content that actually means something to get scrapped just cause of something as trivial as a revamp of the cities.
    Cause thats what would happen.
    I mean only 1 horde city and only 1 ally city should get revamped each expac and those cities should be the horde/ally hubs

I just hope they revamp OG ... this whole Metalspike/Warsong theme .... it's awful

ironforge would look cool, with how it was initially designed... i think it was 3 levels.. lava, first floor (current level), and a 2nd level.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Isoe View Post
    Precisely, even at the time when there wasn't any portal, people mainly gathered in one city (Sure, Ironforge was closed to Blackrock moutain, which helped, but it wasn't that much closer than Stormwind). For a great part, people stayed there because they were used to, and because there were other people, which is always nice. Even with all the capitals being equals, I don't think many would hang out in the Exodar.

However, I didn't formulate my thoughts clearly enough. Of course, you can always find a way to force people to spread on all the capitals, but I don't think that's actually a good idea. We would end up with every capital feeling lifeless, and the community being disconnected. Sure, if the people spread between two capitals, it wouldn't be terrible, I guess, but I still like the idea of having a unique place where everyone on the Alliance or on the Horde can meet.

That's why I'm more than skeptical with all the concepts like "Let's create three more capitals for the dwarves !". In practice, it would just create more emptiness. And even if you managed to put people in all of them, that wouldn't even be good for the game.

Ironforge was the main city in vanilla because the AH was there. That was literally the only reason.

Deleted
    GW2 did ONE thing right and thats Main cities. now those ARE cities...

Deleted
    Let's be honest..

It's not gonna happen.

Especially after what happened with Cata and how much ressources went onto the old world, we all know how much Blizz loved doing it.. And we don't want it to cost us.. a RT right?

10+ Year Old Account
    If they were going to burn a raid tier for something I would hope it would be for something more substantial than sprucing up a faction capital. I wouldn't mind them losing a raid tier for something cool but it would have to be a lot more than a visual upgrade to a city.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    If they were going to burn a raid tier for something I would hope it would be for something more substantial than sprucing up a faction capital. I wouldn't mind them losing a raid tier for something cool but it would have to be a lot more than a visual upgrade to a city.
    they should make it a raid tier. No reason it can double as both a raid and a sanctuary city.. that's what instance zone is for.

We should have an expansion without new zones or new levels. Take the art team's time away from creating new zones to updating old ones and making them HD. Look at the difference in texture between Frostfire Ridge and Winterspring - staggering. Leveling in the old world is an eyesore as our gear gets more and more HD.

I think an expansion without a new zone or new levels could work.

- Make it a lore and story-driven expansion. 5.1 proves you can entertain players without having to create dungeons or raids
    - New raids that the players will already be geared for basic entry right at the get-go
    - quest focuses on the politics and races of a specific area (I.E. a northern Kalimdor expansion that phases those zones to max-level zones for max-level players. revamp Darnassus and Thunder Bluff and all of Kalimdor)
    )
    It could totally work.

Quote Originally Posted by Spray View Post
    which unfortunately requires rebulding the entire zone
    Is there no copy & paste in their program??

Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    We should have an expansion without new zones or new levels. Take the art team's time away from creating new zones to updating old ones and making them HD. Look at the difference in texture between Frostfire Ridge and Winterspring - staggering. Leveling in the old world is an eyesore as our gear gets more and more HD.

I think an expansion without a new zone or new levels could work.

- Make it a lore and story-driven expansion. 5.1 proves you can entertain players without having to create dungeons or raids
    - New raids that the players will already be geared for basic entry right at the get-go
    - quest focuses on the politics and races of a specific area (I.E. a northern Kalimdor expansion that phases those zones to max-level zones for max-level players. revamp Darnassus and Thunder Bluff and all of Kalimdor)
    )
    It could totally work.
    people would rage quit, the only way I can see this working is if they do a double expansion - i. you do both, and instead of reset the world, you have the redone zones be your level 120-130 and the new continent be your level 130-140. You take the zones of your race for the redone world and do their cluster to reach 130 before heading to the new continent. Alternatively they could start project revamp, i.e. ongoing zone by zone and just revamp it, release it in patches. How cool would it be if patch 7.3 actually had us visit northern lordareon sector with now continued activity that heavily involved forsaken, humans, worgen and blood/high elves. It would also help with your race focus too, because every section would deal with a bunch of races.

it would help if they found an easier way to generate quests, for e.g. if they were doing that race and class hall thing , they could keep having patches that at least gave new quests during the extended wait. expansion after next is 2020, so by that time their team would be operating at peak. If they're still around ofc.
    Last edited by Beloren; 2016-06-17 at 12:05 AM.