Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think you people are forgetting that ticket sales are $308 million. Only a portion of that goes back to the studio, the rest to the operators (theaters). Then there's also royalties if someone oped for that to pay, tie-ins with products (promos, toys). THIS is why it needs to gross $500 million to break even.

Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    Okay. Can't see that is relevant.
    In what context? If it is about how it has made money...it is extremely relevant. as of this writing, nearly 91% of the revenue the movie has generated has come from China (approx: $280,500,000). The covers the cost of the movie and then some. If the context is in the movie quality, that is a completely different conversation.

The domestic box office (if you're American) tanked, hard. Opened in 2nd place opening weekend and then made about $4mill the next. It hasn't done well here in America, but money is money is money is money, and they couldn't (the movie's producers) care less where it came from, as long as copious amounts flow to them.

Source: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/...d=warcraft.htm
    If you are progressing through content just to obtain gear, you are doing it wrong. You, in fact, are doing it exactly backwards.
    You are the leader of the Black Harvest, go harvest some squirrels and crack some more nuts. Sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Nethlord View Post
    In what context? If it is about how it has made money...it is extremely relevant. as of this writing, nearly 91% of the revenue the movie has generated has come from China (approx: $280,500,000). The covers the cost of the movie and then some. If the context is in the movie quality, that is a completely different conversation.

The domestic box office (if you're American) tanked, hard. Opened in 2nd place opening weekend and then made about $4mill the next. It hasn't done well here in America, but money is money is money is money, and they couldn't (the movie's producers) care less where it came from, as long as copious amounts flow to them.
    To be fair, its second week in US theaters hasn't yet arrived. (The $4M you're quoting has been from weekday attendance which is usually far less than it is on the weekends.) However, with Pixar's Finding Dory opening this week, I will be thoroughly surprised if Warcraft brings in more than $10M.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teebone View Post
    I think you people are forgetting that ticket sales are $308 million. Only a portion of that goes back to the studio, the rest to the operators (theaters). Then there's also royalties if someone oped for that to pay, tie-ins with products (promos, toys). THIS is why it needs to gross $500 million to break even.
    I also forgot that, but i knew that companies spend tons of money on adversising, but i thot that movie advers cost might be included in budget

Anway it makes "Source Code" movie from Duncan Jones(which is Wacraft movie director even more succeful) since that movie from 2011 didnt had much advers but still gained alot in comprasion to 32millions budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Nethlord View Post

Source: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/...d=warcraft.htm
    No, the 90% is outside of US, China is however 156 million. And this thread is originally about if the movie was a success money-wise, which I would say it is. Does not matter where the money come from.

Objectively speaking it was a crap movie.

As a longtime fan it was very entertaining, and faithful to the source material.

Blockbuster movies are pretty much irrelevant these days, games make way more money and are just better in general.

Why would you compare the entire run of the second highest grossing movie of all time to the first few weeks (not even a week in the US) of a movie.

It did really well compared to many game movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Luckx View Post
    Warcraft movie had $160 millions budget, and gained $308 millions. In comparison Titanic movie from 1997 gained about $2,186,772,302
    What the F?

Why does this thread exist now?

The movie has yet to have its second weekend in most markets, including the US and China.

The movie opened in Australia today.

It has a few more markets to open in, including parts of South America and Japan.

Also. Why would you compare it with Titanic? That's ridiculous.

The sound comparison here is Iron Man from 2008. It was the first entry in a new franchise, and Iron Man was new to mainstream moviegoers and it had a production budget of $140 million. So it's a comparable case.

Now that movie went on to earn $582 million. That was enough for Marvel to green-light a sequel, which improved on that to hit $624 million, followed by another sequel that reached even higher at $1.2 billion.

So if Warcraft was to earn $600 million it would be a commercial success like Iron Man and we could expect a sequel. If it earns $500 million, I hear, it will break even and we can guess there will be a sequel. If it earns less than that, we can only hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarc View Post
    What the F?

Why does this thread exist now?

The movie has yet to have its second weekend in most markets, including the US and China.

The movie opened in Australia today.

It has a few more markets to open in, including parts of South America and Japan.

Also. Why would you compare it with Titanic? That's ridiculous.

The sound comparison here is Iron Man from 2008. It was the first entry in a new franchise, and Iron Man was new to mainstream moviegoers and it had a production budget of $140 million. So it's a comparable case.

Now that movie went on to earn $582 million. That was enough for Marvel to green-light a sequel, which improved on that to hit $624 million, followed by another sequel that reached even higher at $1.2 billion.

So if Warcraft was to earn $600 million it would be a commercial success like Iron Man and we could expect a sequel. If it earns $500 million, I hear, it will break even and we can guess there will be a sequel. If it earns less than that, we can only hope.
    The difference between this movie and Iron Man is that the bulk of this movie's income has been overseas. It's nice to think that potential sequels for this movie would follow a similar architecture but given the movie's poor domestic performance I'm unsure how this would pan out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Why would you compare the entire run of the second highest grossing movie of all time to the first few weeks (not even a week in the US) of a movie.
    im comparing Warcraft movie which had Duncan Jones as director to another movie which had Duncan Jones as director. (Source Code) had 32m budget but gained $147 millions

Titanic used as example, and Titanic is probably not "second highest grossing movie of all time" there is also list Highest-grossing franchises and film series, High-grossing films by year of release, and highest-grossing films adjusted for inflation

well Titanic is "second highest grossing movie of all time" but it depents how you look on it

Highest-grossing films adjusted for inflation as of 2014

1 Gone with the Wind $3,440,000,000 1939
    2 Avatar $3,020,000,000 2009
    3 Star Wars $2,825,000,000 1977
    4 Titanic T$2,516,000,000 1997
    5 The Sound of Music $2,366,000,000 1965
    6 E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial $2,310,000,000 1982
    7 The Ten Commandments $2,187,000,000 1956
    8 Doctor Zhivago $2,073,000,000 1965
    9 Jaws $2,027,000,000 1975
    10 Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs S$1,819,000,000 1937

just to make it clear Im comparing WOW to high grossing movies overvall not just Titanic, i.e. Toy Story 3 $1,063,171,911 from 2010 and Finding Nemo$ 936,743,261 from 2003

talking about Toy Story and Finding Nemo since as some ppl said Titanic is kind of movie thats that targets huge audence, and alot ppl hate animated 3rd cartoons and think that they are for kids only so those two have limited audence just like fantasy movies.
    Last edited by Luckx; 2016-06-16 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    No, the 90% is outside of US, China is however 156 million. And this thread is originally about if the movie was a success money-wise, which I would say it is. Does not matter where the money come from.
    They only make about 30% of that money do they not? It matters greatly where the money comes from.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    The difference between this movie and Iron Man is that the bulk of this movie's income has been overseas. It's nice to think that potential sequels for this movie would follow a similar architecture but given the movie's poor domestic performance I'm unsure how this would pan out.
    They didn't pick Daniel Wu to play Gul'dan and gave him the "and"-credit by random. They did so because he is a mega-star in Chinese cinema. China was very much in the calculation all along. And in fact it should somewhat soften the regular break-even point for Hollywood movies that say they need to earn 2.5-3 times their budget that Legendary Pictures is owned by the Chinese conglomerate the Wanda Group since they also own the largest cinema chain in China and gets all the profit from moviegoers in their cinemas.

Why the hell do people care about this? I can't wait for the movie to be old news so I don't have to see box office updates on the front of mmo-champ. Honest to god I am more interested in how many pigeon craps are on the sidewalk out front of my office than I am about how much money this dumbass movie makes.

They didn't pick Daniel Wu to play Gul'dan and gave him the "and"-credit by random. They did so because he is a mega-star in Chinese cinema. China was very much in the calculation all along. And in fact it should somewhat soften the regular break-even point for Hollywood movies that say they need to earn 2.5-3 times their budget that Legendary Pictures is owned by the Chinese conglomerate the Wanda Group since they also own the largest cinema chain in China and gets all the profit from moviegoers in their cinemas.
    I've heard this before but I'm still extremely skeptical of the impact Legendary's Chinese ties will have on the bottom line for the film's performance (and thereby potential sequels). Warcraft is definitely in a unique spot, it'll be interesting to see how its legacy pans out. If sequels do get made, I think there's a potential for them to be designed almost exclusively for a Chinese audience first with American box offices as a second-thought.

So if you compare the numbers we've seen so far to all the other video game adaptations, Warcraft is kicking ass.

Here's a Forbes article. http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmen.../#45f4de645331

It doesn't have Angry Birds, which has earned around $300m, which is basically a tie (and it was released earlier). Because family movies can make money from a larger audience of people, I'd say Warcraft has done amazingly well. With it making more than any individual Resident Evil movie, which has like five (?) movies, id say it deserves a sequel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noxx79 View Post
    You're comparing Warcraft to one of the highest grossing movies of all time. This is an invalid comparison. It's like saying everyone is stupid because Einstein existed, all baseball players are bad because Babe Ruth existed, all Basketball players are bad because Michael Jordan existed.

I'm guessing based on receipts that it will come out to an average profit, mainly due to overseas, but you're sounding like the dude on the official forums who said Warcraft was a failure due to the fact that it didn't make as much money as Star Wars.
    Thanks for reply, i see your point, but i compared WC movie not just to highest grossing films but also to non-mainstream movie "Source Code" which had same director as WC movie which is Duncan Jones.

And Source Code was pretty succeful money wise. I was comparing WC movie to high-gross films, because WOW is one best known games in the world and had in total about 100 millions of players in total (according Blizzard advers), and gamers who never played WOW talked about it, and unlike many PC games WOW is known among average ppl who dont play PC games, and some ppl long time before WC movie was released was thinking that Blizzard is able to release some really big movie, judging by WOTLK and Vanilla cinematics probably

(Maybe in future Blizzard will do but not sure)

We are yet to see if it can break even or not.
    But overall I'd say it was a success. Because it showed there is a market for video game film adaptations. The sequel will be here and we can hope for many more quality game movies now.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    We'll know whether it's successful by the time its theatrical run is over...which at this rate will likely be within a month or so. While the homexDVD/Blu-ray market still exists, movies make the bulk of their profit during their time in theaters.
    If you ever listened to a lecture about film biz they would tell you that home entertainment, blueray sale and merchandise are as important or more important than box office income.

Some are panicking too really. If it happens, good for us, If no sequel, we should feel lucky we saw it on the big screen.

Deleted
    That 2.5-3 number is based on figures from such films as Harry Potter, Batman and Avengers, three huge franchises which studios go way overboard in promoting because they know they'll continue to make money for the decades after release. The majority of films are generally profitable enough for at least a sequel when they reach 150% of the productions budget.

An example would be 'Chronicles of Riddick', which cost around $100M-120M to make and only made $115M from it's run in theatres. Does anyone in their right mind actually think that it made over $200M in DVD sales, so that they could make a sequel?