Page 1 of 3
LastLast

AspireAssist: FDA-approved weight loss solution for people with obesity.

So this device lets you pump food from your stomach. This will help you lose weight.

Ew, they put a tube in you. Are you expected to live this way forever? What do you do with the regurgitated food?

Video at link

http://www.aspirebariatrics.com/about-the-aspireassist/

REAL RESULTS
    In a U.S. Clinical Trial, patients lost 3 times more weight on average with the AspireAssist than those who received only diet and exercise counseling¹.

QUICK RECOVERY
    Placing the device is an outpatient procedure. Patients can often return home within one to two hours, and be back at work quickly.

SIMPLE PROCEDURE
    The quick 15 minute procedure is performed under “twilight anesthesia” – general anesthesia is usually not required.

HEALTHY, NORMAL LIFESTYLE
    Although there are no specific foods that are off-limits with the AspireAssist, you’ll gradually learn healthier behaviors with the lifestyle counseling program, to help keep the weight off long-term.

REVERSIBLE
    The AspireAssist can be removed at any time through a 10-minute outpatient procedure. It is usually performed under twilight anesthesia.

AFFORDABLE
    Because the procedure and device are relatively simple, the AspireAssist may be affordable for patients who cannot afford bariatric surgery.
    Last edited by Independent voter; 2016-06-16 at 10:22 PM.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

15+ Year Old Account
    People lost more weight, sure. Maybe people who are willing to operate a tube into their gut to suck out food with are also more committed to losing it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I can do that with my finger and no tube.
    >_> characters

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

If you lack the discipline to run a calorie deficit to lose weight, I'm not sure this will help you. When one removes 30% of their food after eating, they will feel like they ate 70% of what they normally do and will be compelled to eat more to compensate. Also, eww.

If you're not capable of eating appropriate amounts of calories now then this will just make it worse. People will treat it as a license to eat even more junk.

I've seen something similar happen to people who got stomach surgery. They never changed their bad habits and just got fat again.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I can do that with my finger and no tube.
    Yeah, but now you can use that finger to satisfy other desires ;)

There was another doctor working on something that sat in the top part of the stomach to help trigger the fullness feeling earlier, it gets inserted without any surgery, that seems like a better option than having this tube put in. Honestly the video itself gave the best advice to help without needing their product, eat slower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    >_> characters
    <_<
    /10

Deleted
    looks like this requires a colostomy bag. fun.

edit: nvm no colostomy bag, you just pump it into the toilet. but you still have a "discreet" plug on your belly.

wonder if a side effect of this is increased risk for bulimia nervosa.
    Last edited by mmoc982b0e8df8; 2016-06-16 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    If you're not capable of eating appropriate amounts of calories now then this will just make it worse. People will treat it as a license to eat even more junk.

I've seen something similar happen to people who got stomach surgery. They never changed their bad habits and just got fat again.
    Well, there are different ways of surgically help with obesity. You are talking about a stomach band, which for a long time was the only reliable way and is still quite common in the US because it is cheap and has instant results. But it's no permanent solution, because your stomach will start to stretch to other side with time if you don't adjust your eating behaviour.
    A stomach bypass is the preferred method now, this keeps the stomach (or rather the part of the intestine that is replacing the stomach) small, but compared to a band it's much more intrusive and forces you to change your eating habbits and have to take pills to get all vitamins you need.
    So a third option might be quite fine.

Didn't watch the video, but that preview image is rather creepy. The thought what is involved in this is pretty disgusting and probably feels rather horrible. In that picture all of these people are smiling.

At the very worst, this is reducing your total intake by 33%, which is huge. Even if they continue to eat like shit, at least 1/3rd of it is negated.

But this is an alternative to gastric bypass surgery which is frightening to the average person.

Shit like this is disgusting.

It comes down to this. Want to lose weight? Calorie count, cut calories consumed massively and make the the decision to give up liking food for a while. Think of food not as something to be enjoyed but as fuel. Drink water and tea and nothing else. And then do an hour of Cardio 6 days a week. It's really that simple.

All this other shit is just people trying to have their cake and eat it too. Your life will be miserable when you have Type II Diabetes. Your life will be miserable when you're starving because you cut your daily caloric intake down by 75%. Embrace the misery that leads to a positive road.

So much of this is psychological and dumb tech like this just skirts that side of it. Of course pumping food out of your body before it's largely digested will help you lose weight!

Seriously... you won't get anymore energy inside you than what you stuff in your mouth. You don't magically become fat, if you don't eat enough to get fat.

How is it so hard to sum up at least some estimation each day how much you eat? I do it. I used to be fat, but after I started to count, I would happily eat basically whatever I wanted, if I just kept count how much energy that was. I can enjoy food and life very easily and I was able to lose weight slowly about 1% a month until I got to a good spot. If you try to lose weight fast or unnatural ways such as this, you are just asking for trouble. You need to let your body get used to it so that you keep your weight just by habit. The thing is... I didn't even actually try to lose weight. I just wanted to save money by buying less food.

How is it so hard to lose weight? I can't understand this widespread problem that lot of people seem to have.

Still, most people seem to benefit from it, and not gain the weight back. I didn't watch much of the video, but I'm not sure why it's a lot better to operate a tube into your gut rather than just reduce your stomach, oh well.
    Mother pus bucket!

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Shit like this is disgusting.

It comes down to this. Want to lose weight? Calorie count, cut calories consumed massively and make the the decision to give up liking food for a while. Think of food not as something to be enjoyed but as fuel. Drink water and tea and nothing else. And then do an hour of Cardio 6 days a week. It's really that simple.

All this other shit is just people trying to have their cake and eat it too. Your life will be miserable when you have Type II Diabetes. Your life will be miserable when you're starving because you cut your daily caloric intake down by 75%. Embrace the misery that leads to a positive road.

So much of this is psychological and dumb tech like this just skirts that side of it. Of course pumping food out of your body before it's largely digested will help you lose weight!
    Yeah, the plan is simple, but not easy to follow through. "Eat just a small salad two times a day for a few months". Nothing complicated. Getting it done is a different matter, obviously, since we have a lot of obesity out there. Food is like a drug, and telling people to go cold turkey has little effect. They're not ignorant about calorie deficit, but haven't found a way that works for them yet.
    Mother pus bucket!

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    That's all good and well, but doesn't change the fact that so so many individuals are obese, and for some reason or another can't muster the effort to lose weight.

If this thing can help people on their way and boost them into changing, I'd say it's pretty damned good. Of course some people are going to fall back into bad habits and gain the weight, but that's already a thing with many patients that had surgery to their stomach. Doesn't mean medicine should stop trying to help those that will honor it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post

How is it so hard to lose weight? I can't understand this widespread problem that lot of people seem to have.
    Well, someone that hasn't broken a leg can never understand the agony. Same in this case, if you've never struggled yourself, you can't be expected to understand those that do. Doesn't mean one can't try to have empathy though.

In your case, you do understand being fat. But not everyone's you. You might not have struggled, others obviously do. My mom had to struggle like crazy with her weightloss since she also have a medical condition (Hypothyroidism) but she managed. With an operation to the stomach which makes the food pass through her faster and lots of exercise, she fought her way to a healthier life. For some it's as easy as 1-2-3, for others there are barricades to overcome. Be they psychological or physical or both. Shaming them and trying to fit everyone into a "one size fits all"-model won't really do any good.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2016-06-17 at 12:20 AM.

Deleted
    How about they move their fat ass instead and stop eating at McDonald's five times a week?

This just seems like modern medicines version of the roman vomitorium.