Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    I still think the likelihood of a Chinese localized sequel is there. (Think Chinese actors, Chinese scriptwriting, Chinese spoken language.) Though I'm sure that would rub domestic fans the wrong way.
    I don't think the Chinese film industry has the same resources like ILM, to pull that off. I've read articles that say FX in China is 20 years behind current abilities - and their budgets are a LOT lower than US/EU budgets. I know China has a MASSIVE studio that cranks out movies, but they don't put the same polish and FX into them, or the time, that US filmakers do, which is why China is such a huge market for the US film makers. What I've read and heard is that the Chinese film industry is quantity over quality - they churn out movies, but they're mediocre compared to what we get.

I think the best you could hope for is a Warcraft movie, in Chinese, with 1000 extras in rubber orc masks. I don't think Blizzard would allow that - it's their brand, and copies would make it over here, and harm the brand.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Roadblock View Post
    Not like this...

Problem with cinemas is there's no 1month and 3month subscriptions.
    On actual WoW the amount of Old-school WoW Nostalgia and #savage world and #playerhousing that didn't renew past the free month or 3month pre-paids was staggering.
    Gaming reality put the lie to all the hype pretty fast but there is some inertia to subs lapsing.

Cinemas unfortunately for Legendary/Blizz have a much faster turnaround :P

Ticket sales are low during the work week. That's crazy and unexpected. Wait for the 2nd weekend numbers - that's the crucial period.

edit: nvm I was thinking of something else.

Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    The "shield wall" scene was hilarious bad.
    Well, at least they did something else than running around and getting squashed.

Quote Originally Posted by karzal View Post
    How would you then prefer orcs to look? Would you rather see them like they were in LoTR?
    I personally really do prefer these orcs over the ones from LoTR, purely because they look more menacing and more brutish...
    agreed the orcs looked amazing and portrayed the size and strength perfectly imo. Fight scenes were amazing as you could tell the humans had no clue how to fight something so overpowering.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Finally got round to seeing it was ok, just ok in my opinion.

The first 15 mins were painful, so much jumping around no setting the scene and barely an introduction to the characters. Here's an Orc, his names Gul'dan. Got it? Good, end scene. Eventually the pacing got better.

I think way, way too much time was spent on Garona. Callan was completely unnecessary. And that time could have been used so much better.

Apparently 40 mins had to be cut in the final edit, and it was obvious. Some of the scenes started what seemed like halfway though and ended abruptly. So thats either a catastrophic directing or screenplay failure, or both.

Not a fan of all the retcons. I can understand needing to simplify and streamline the story, but I think many of the elements they changed didn't make it any simpler and some of the parts they kept were unnecessary and actually convoluted (see Garona).

One major plot gripe and spoilers here: Durotan forgives Doomhammer for his betrayal in a hot second, despite his whole clan being massacred and potentially his wife and child too. But 2mins later and light punch they're best buddies again. Terrible.

Finally Lothar came across as more of a rogue / mercenary / Aragon type of character instead of a General. He was just so grubby.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    agreed the orcs looked amazing and portrayed the size and strength perfectly imo. Fight scenes were amazing as you could tell the humans had no clue how to fight something so overpowering.
    Honestly, the humans were the only thing badly portrayed in the movie. It WAS NOT the Orcs. Humans in the Warcraft series have always been portrayed as very muscular.

Surprise factor and slight size difference should have been the only difference in fighting. Considering Humans have been fighting Trolls and other shit forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Surreal
    grim toll is the worst trinket you could get for survival. Hands down Meteorite wheat stone is better than it.

What they should have done is name it something where non-WoW fans wouldn't know its Warcraft but WoW fans would. That way average movie goers would think it's some Avatar like fantasy movie. Instead of attaching their WoW stigma to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon138 View Post
    What they should have done is name it something where non-WoW fans wouldn't know its Warcraft but WoW fans would. That way average movie goers would think it's some Avatar like fantasy movie. Instead of attaching their WoW stigma to it.
    There is no stigma to those who aren't familiar with Warcraft. The negative stigma exists within the WoW community itself. A different name wouldn't change anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    "Real" Demon Hunters don't work as a class in modern WoW
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    Please point out to me the player Demon Hunter who has Meta.

Quote Originally Posted by Thimagryn View Post
    There is no stigma to those who aren't familiar with Warcraft. The negative stigma exists within the WoW community itself. A different name wouldn't change anything.
    No there's definitely a stigma that non-WoW people have about WoW. They don't want to be involved with it.

If you say so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    "Real" Demon Hunters don't work as a class in modern WoW
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    Please point out to me the player Demon Hunter who has Meta.

I saw the movie today. Had no expectations despite playing WoW for the last 8 years. I enjoyed the movie. If anything, I think the story was 'too big' for 120 minutes. It certainly seems ripe for a sequel. Though if a sequel isn't in progress now, it won't be viable 4-7 years from now which seems to be the approx time-frame for doing a WoW movie.

I give it 8/10.

Finding Dory is not doing that well internationally

Introducing.... The three most cringe worthy moments of the film:

3 - Antonidas: "I don't know, it's never done that before." high cringe factor... This wizard we just met is so fucking powerful his eyes are literally glowing... And yet he's just a dipshit when it comes to this apparently. Silly dialogue: introduce a super powerful character then make him look stupid with unintentionally funny lines.

2 - "medivh would've burnt this book too if it wasn't hidden in my robe". Spoken truly like he wants to remind the audience that the script may not be holding up, but at least 'this' part isn't a plot hole! You know a script is bad when the characters have to remind you that their actions don't break continuity like this...

And the most fucking cringe worthy moment of the film, by far....

1 - "SHIELD FORMATION". Screamed randomly and out of the blue by a prepubescent looking pretty boy, to about 20 other guys in cheap shiny looking armor.. Because ONE orc was approaching them on a wolf, so naturally everyone needs to stop what they're doing fighting the rest of the platoon - to ensure they can make a dramatic and disproportionately responsed formation that lasts for... about 5 seconds...

I was laughing at that point in the film, not merely because it was bad. But because it was so fucking bad im amazed nobody in their right mind told anyone involved in making the film just how bad it was - and stopped it going live to an Audience in its current form. I can appreciate the humour in that regard.

We've all seen lord of the rings, we all have an idea of what a shield formation type event in a movie looks like on an epic scale... This was just... Not just bad, but embarrassing to watch.
    Last edited by TyrianFC; 2016-06-17 at 05:20 AM.

In general, the rule of thumb for a Hollywood movie is the movie theater gets 45% of every ticket sold and the studio that created the movie 55%. (That's not exactly true; the percentage breakdown changes from week to week of a movie's release, but it's close enough.)

So in general, a movie has to recoup both it's budget and advertising/promotional costs. For a $75 million dollar movie A&P can range from $10 million to $70 million, sometimes doubling the costs of production. But these numbers are often murky estimates, and it's not always clear how much money a studio really spends.

I often hear people say that a movie has to make TWICE its production budget in world-wide box office receipts to start making money. This is why a movie such as Cowboys and Aliens, which cost 163 million and made 175 million worldwide, is considered a "flop."

A "financial success" is really a very murky function of costs and expectations. For example, a movie like this summer's Spider Man, which cost 230 million and made 680 million worldwide, can be regarded by some as a "disappointment" when compared to The Avengers, which cost about the same but brought in 1.5 billion. *
    Last edited by kamil84; 2016-06-17 at 05:13 AM.

I just saw it this week and I liked it. Was it the best movie I have ever seen of course not but I enjoyed it enough to hope for a sequel. I would give it 4 out 5 stars. As far as it not doing well it would appear most movies this time of the year are down in numbers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon138 View Post
    No there's definitely a stigma that non-WoW people have about WoW. They don't want to be involved with it.
    There are parts of the gaming community that attach it, but again that's still a tiny proportion of everyone else.

10+ Year Old Account
    I watched the movie for first time today, as a Fan I found some parts of the movie very enjoyable, Orcs were the Top of the movie,
    but some Human actors did their part very poorly, it was painful sometimes, It could be a great movie but honestly it was a ok movie
    6/10 movie, Fun Fan Movie, but i can see gives very low info to no fans.

I hope the Director's Cut of the movie give us some kind of introduction, like Lord Of The rings, something that explains at least
    what is Azeroth, and some other info, sadly ironforge with only 2 dwarves feels like a Big House for those 2 Dwarves, like
    karazhan with only 2 people inside.... but oh well as a WoW LoreFan, i was expecting more.
    The New World of Warcraft Expansion: "Corgis Unleashed"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TyrianFC View Post
    Introducing.... The three most cringe worthy moments of the film:

3 - Antonidas: "I don't know, it's never done that before." high cringe factor... This wizard we just met is so fucking powerful his eyes are literally glowing... And yet he's just a dipshit when it comes to this apparently. Silly dialogue: introduce a super powerful character then make him look stupid with unintentionally funny lines.

2 - "medivh would've burnt this book too if it wasn't hidden in my robe". Spoken truly like he wants to remind the audience that the script may not be holding up, but at least 'this' part isn't a plot hole! You know a script is bad when the characters have to remind you that their actions don't break continuity like this...

And the most fucking cringe worthy moment of the film, by far....

1 - "SHIELD FORMATION". Screamed randomly and out of the blue by a prepubescent looking pretty boy, to about 20 other guys in cheap shiny looking armor.. Because ONE orc was approaching them on a wolf, so naturally everyone needs to stop what they're doing fighting the rest of the platoon - to ensure they can make a dramatic and disproportionately responsed formation that lasts for... about 5 seconds...

I was laughing at that point in the film, not merely because it was bad. But because it was so fucking bad im amazed nobody in their right mind told anyone involved in making the film just how bad it was - and stopped it going live to an Audience in its current form. I can appreciate the humour in that regard.

We've all seen lord of the rings, we all have an idea of what a shield formation type event in a movie looks like on an epic scale... This was just... Not just bad, but embarrassing to watch.
    I feel like you were taking it too seriously. All Blizz stuff ever has always had light humour and references thrown in. I'm pretty sure the Antonidas thing was intentional; and the hidden page was the page that showed Medivh summoned the Orcs, it was why they had suspicions about him - of course he hid it.

I'll give you that the Shield Wall thing was entirely just an excuse to show off the craftsmanship in the shields though.

Yes sure, it must be a crime to expect some authentic combat in a medieval warfare action movie.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    Yes sure, it must be a crime to expect some authentic combat in a medieval fantasy warfare action movie.
    Fixed that.