Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Story over gameplay. Fuck AAA games nowadays.

Fuck the Witcher 3. Fuck uncharted. Fuck bioshock infinite. We need more games like Doom 4 (2016) that put game-play first and story second. I'm so fucking sick and tired of it. Only game I can think of that had both flawlessly was the last of us, and maybe the first and second halo games.

- - - Updated - - -

If I wanted to watch a movie, I'd go watch a movie. I play videogames to do something interactive and fun. More mario, more doom, more quake, more dark souls (this ones arguable because it does have a deep story, but its hidden in item descriptions), and more DMC.

Quote Originally Posted by Detan View Post
    Fuck the Witcher 3. Fuck uncharted. Fuck bioshock infinite. We need more games like Doom 4 (2016) that put game-play first and story second. I'm so fucking sick and tired of it. Only game I can think of that had both flawlessly was the last of us, and maybe the first and second halo games.
    Kay but, I appreciate games that actually put effort into their story. Not that I don't like a mindless action romp like Doom as well but, well written games have their place.
    Gaming & Tech related discussion with occasional poo flinging!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNS...PDOAsdXS7I029g
    https://twitter.com/Aztech_Zero

Quote Originally Posted by AztechZero View Post
    Kay but, I appreciate games that actually put effort into their story. Not that I don't like a mindless action romp like Doom as well but, well written games have their place.
    Cool man, I agree - but if you cant do both, then make it into a movie. Bioshock infinite for example was literally a shitty/mediocre shooter with a great story, and people act like its the second coming of christ.

10+ Year Old Account
    People have different preferences. While I liked DOOM, it was incredibly short to me. 14 hours of gameplay just doesn't cut it. Witcher 3 however, I have spent well over 200 hours.

Deleted
    Well, some people love reading books and watching movies, and those have like zero gameplay.

But yeah, it's true, there's really no reason not to have both.

Quote Originally Posted by Greevir View Post
    People have different preferences. While I liked DOOM, it was incredibly short to me. 14 hours of gameplay just doesn't cut it. Witcher 3 however, I have spent well over 200 hours.
    But 75% of it is just cut-scenes and dialogue!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Well, some people love reading books and watching movies, and those have like zero gameplay.

But yeah, it's true, there's really no reason not to have both.
    Like I said, some games did it well - the last of us had amazing original gameplay and a great story. Why cant other AAA games do the same?

10+ Year Old Account
    You go play your Mindless FPS, I'll be over here with my 100 hour long game with story that I'm actully invested in beyond numbers on the screen

Or even dark souls! It has the best combat ever conceived in an RPG and if you tok the time to read item descriptions, a great story - but it wasn't shoved in your face. It was a game first, and if you were interested enough, had a great story ON TOP of that - watch a you-tuber name Vaatividya, he goes into more detail/explains it better than me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Time Sage View Post
    You go play your Mindless FPS, I'll be over here with my 100 hour long game with story that I'm actully invested in beyond numbers on the screen
    Why don't you read a novel? Or a series of them? Without paying 60 dollars for an interactive movie with shitty mechanics?

- - - Updated - - -

I think the worst example has to be bioshock infinite or the witcher 3. Take out the story, and they're mediocre games with bare bones mechanics that have been done to death before. It pisses me off.

Why cant there be both is the real question.

10+ Year Old Account
    Or even dark souls! It has the best combat ever conceived in an RPG and if you tok the time to read item descriptions, a great story - but it wasn't shoved in your face. It was a game first, and if you were interested enough, had a great story ON TOP of that - watch a you-tuber name Vaatividya, he goes into more detail/explains it better than me.

- - - Updated - - -

Why don't you read a novel? Or a series of them? Without paying 60 dollars for an interactive movie with shitty mechanics?
    I do enjoy reading, but it's not as immersive. When I'm playing a game I'm not an observer to the hero's tale, I'm an active part. I'm the higher power that keeps picking them back up when a fight goes wrong and giving them a second chance, I'm actually invested in seeing them succeed as I've been helping them do it. I can play the story out in my head with a book yes, but I'm just seeing what's written on the page filtered though my brain, I don't have any control beyond how I interpret the words.

Oddly enough I thought Doom was pretty well written as a sequel to the original 2 games.

You are the same marine who before stopped the forces of hell, who had to fight his way through a river of blood and his own comrades turned against him. Now you wake up surrounded by hellish minions and you find out that we've stupidly started siphoning energy off out of hell and that some of humanity is volunteering to be demonized.

Basically he responds the way I think any rational person would do.

Nope.

No fucking way.

Welcome to nopeistan capital of nope.

And you commence in just breaking everything.

It's incredibly subtle despite being overt and very well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
    Oddly enough I thought Doom was pretty well written as a sequel to the original 2 games.

You are the same marine who before stopped the forces of hell, who had to fight his way through a river of blood and his own comrades turned against him. Now you wake up surrounded by hellish minions and you find out that we've stupidly started siphoning energy off out of hell and that some of humanity is volunteering to be demonized.

Basically he responds the way I think any rational person would do.

Nope.

No fucking way.

Welcome to nopeistan capital of nope.

And you commence in just breaking everything.

It's incredibly subtle despite being overt and very well done.
    B....bu....fine.

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

If I wanted to watch a movie, I'd go watch a movie. I play videogames to do something interactive and fun. More mario, more doom, more quake, more dark souls (this ones arguable because it does have a deep story, but its hidden in item descriptions), and more DMC.
    Some people prefer more stories in their games than gameplay. People like myself. Sure I like games like Doom 4 but I really prefer narratives. There's something video games can do that movies cannot: Put oneself in the game. Mass Effect is better as a narrative story-telling experience. So is the Witcher. So is Uncharted. So is BioShock Infinite. Doom 4 isn't even innovative in gameplay. It's just mostly mindless shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Butthurt Beluga View Post
    Not good examples honestly, because DOOM had little narrative (although it was a shit game as well), and BioShock Infinite had a fucking laughably awful story and also shit gameplay
    Witcher 3 is meh, more casual than 1&2 but that's to be expected when you appeal to a wider audience and go for the big bucks via multiplat.

Also the people who are looking for narrative in a video game - fucking lol, there's not a single video game with a better story than a book or any other readable media.
    Read a fuckin' book if you want narrative, and if you can't immerse yourself in a book to the point where the outside world doesn't exist then your imagination is beyond fucking lacking.
    Marry meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Not good examples honestly, because DOOM had little narrative (although it was a shit game as well), and BioShock Infinite had a fucking laughably awful story and also shit gameplay
    Witcher 3 is meh, more casual than 1&2 but that's to be expected when you appeal to a wider audience and go for the big bucks via multiplat.

Also the people who are looking for narrative in a video game - fucking lol, there's not a single video game with a better story than a book or any other readable media.
    Read a fuckin' book if you want narrative, and if you can't immerse yourself in a book to the point where the outside world doesn't exist then your imagination is beyond fucking lacking.
    That's an awfully big assumption there, that all books are magically better than the narrative of any game just by virtue of being books
    Gaming & Tech related discussion with occasional poo flinging!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNS...PDOAsdXS7I029g
    https://twitter.com/Aztech_Zero

I would prefer a balance but to each their own.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

10+ Year Old Account

Your definition of a good narrative story-telling experience is woefully limited. I enjoy both books and video games. There is a certain aspect to video game storytelling that books cannot achieve and vice versa. Take Dragon Age: Inquisition, for example. I can explore the world, build relationships with the characters, engage in dialogue choices, and well, make choices that affect the story that otherwise would be lacking in a book where the narrative is predetermined, as are the choices of the characters.

There are games with crappy stories and books with crappy stories. There are also games with phenomenal stories and books that are the same. Why limit your experience to just one medium? Phenomenal storytelling is not limited to the written medium alone. Have you not been to a play? Watched a movie? Followed a TV series? Looked at artwork? Witnessed cultural dancing? Songs and ballads and epics? Operas? Great orchestral movements? There are so many ways to tell phenomenal stories. Video games can be one of them.

Just because your definition of a good narrative is different from others does not make others' definitions of a good narrative any less valid than yours. Unless, of course, you consider your opinion the only correct one. In which case, there's no point in even having a discussion.
    Last edited by Jademist; 2016-06-17 at 05:58 AM.

dasdjsdiasjaidijdsiajdiasdasdasidasdiasdijdasidasd

"I don't like this thing and therefore nobody should, everything should be catered to me because i'm special individual."

I've greatly enjoyed many of the games that place a heavy emphasis upon telling a decent or even great story. Many have enjoyable game-play as well.