Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cmats4020 View Post
    Please tell me how that is . . .
    You should know how that is already so you don't need me to tell you, but here:

“Mesmerized by their discovery, the dark trolls settled along the Well of Eternity’s shores. Over generations, the energies radiating from the lake suffused the trolls’ flesh and bones, elevating their forms to match their graceful spirits. They transformed into highly intelligent and virtually immortal beings. These former trolls gradually abandoned their ancient heritage and traditions. The tribe’s mystics began worshipping the moon goddess, Elune, who they believed was bound to the Well of Eternity itself. They claimed that the deity slumbered within the fount’s depths during daylight hours.

Excerpt From: Entertainment, Blizzard. “World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 1.” Dark Horse Books, 2016-03-15. iBooks.
    This material may be protected by copyright.
    ^ Please note that the Chronicle doesn't establish that Elune is the moon goddess according to Night elven mythology or that everything we know about her came from Night elven mythology. Some of the things we know about Elune were given to us by Blizzard employees themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainforest View Post
    Please stop feigning ignorance. We do know what/who she is. The Warcraft Encyclopedia tells us what she is. Now, there may be some things about her that change, but she is (as of right now) the Goddess of the Moon.
    This is what she is believed to be by her followers. We don't know what she ACTUALLY is. The Warcraft Encylopedia is also old now. Anything that is not specified within Chronicle is left up in the air, and any previous books like TWE should no longer be taken at face value.

Quote Originally Posted by TyrannicalPuppy View Post
    This is what she is believed to be by her followers.
    Okay, and? My point still stands.

We don't know what she ACTUALLY is.
    ^This is what an ignorant person would say.

The Warcraft Encylopedia is also old now..
    The information provided by the Warcraft Encyclopedia is still canon unless contradicted.

Anything that is not specified within Chronicle is left up in the air,
    No it's not.

any previous books like TWE should no longer be taken at face value.
    ROFLOL

You should know how that is already so you don't need me to tell you, but here:

^ Please note that the Chronicle doesn't establish that Elune is the moon goddess according to Night elven mythology or that everything we know about her came from Night elven mythology. Some of the things we know about Elune were given to us by Blizzard employees themselves.
    Please note that your passage doesn't state that the Night elves are correct in that Elune is who they claim she is:

The tribe’s mystics began worshipping the moon goddess, Elune, who they believed was bound to the Well of Eternity itself. They claimed that the deity slumbered within the fount’s depths during daylight hours.
    Just because a group of people begin worshipping something doesn't mean it exists, much less as they see it.

I know this is a rhetorical fallacy, but I can't remember what it is. Regardless, if you think you're the victor because it's useless arguing with you then, okay . . .
    If that is your interpretation, then I feel bad for you. People stop arguing with me because they cannot back up their claims and run away to hide.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGamer030 View Post
    People stop arguing with me because they cannot back up their claims and run away to hide.
    If that's your interpretation, then I feel bad for you.

Please note that your passage doesn't state that the Night elves are correct in that Elune is who they claim she is:
    You emboldened the wrong words. Please note that my passage refers to Elune as the moon goddess and please note that the fact that Elune is the moon goddess isn't just Night Elven belief.

“Mesmerized by their discovery, the dark trolls settled along the Well of Eternity’s shores. Over generations, the energies radiating from the lake suffused the trolls’ flesh and bones, elevating their forms to match their graceful spirits. They transformed into highly intelligent and virtually immortal beings. These former trolls gradually abandoned their ancient heritage and traditions. The tribe’s mystics began worshipping the moon goddess, Elune, who they believed was bound to the Well of Eternity itself. They claimed that the deity slumbered within the fount’s depths during daylight hours.

Excerpt From: Entertainment, Blizzard. “World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 1.” Dark Horse Books, 2016-03-15. iBooks. This material may be protected by copyright.

Please note that my passage refers to Elune as the moon goddess and that fact isn't just the Night elves' belief.
    The Night elves worship the moon goddess. That's an undeniable fact. However, that's their origin story they made up for themselves. There's no proof that Elune is a moon goddess.

Honestly, that's like saying Christians worship the god, Yahweh, and by your logic, it's undeniable that Yahweh exists and is exactly how stated.
    Last edited by cmats4020; 2016-06-17 at 01:31 AM.

There's no proof that Elune is a moon goddess.
    Yes there is, you're just too prissy to acknowledge that there is.

Yes there is, you're just too prissy to acknowledge that there is.
    No there's not. We have the Night elves' spoken words, but that doesn't mean it's true. By your own logic, I can say you're too prissy to acknowledge that there isn't, and be equally as right lol

http://wow.gamepedia.com/The_Warcraf...clopedia/Elune

One of Azeroth's few full deities, Elune is the goddess of the moon.
    Please note that this canon source states that Elune is the goddess of the moon - a fact that we were given without a source stating Elune is the goddess of the moon according to Night elven mythology.

- - - Updated - - -

No there's not.
    Yes there is:

you're just too prissy to acknowledge that there is.
    I can say you're too prissy to acknowledge that there isn't, and be equally as right lol
    No you can't.

IF the old gods are spawned by the void lords, Elune may be the equivalent to a void lord but on the light side, and spawned or has a creator-creation relationship with the naaru
    "Welcome to MMO-C, where most posters would rather play semantics, pick faults or just flat out fail at reading comprehension so they can argue with you over an issue that wasn't even in the original post."
    -Kronik85

If that's your interpretation,
    They did not back up their claims, so I have no sympathy for them and laugh as they run away.

They did not back up their claims, so I have no sympathy for them and laugh as they run away.
    So you have selective reading. Go figure.

Read every reply to you. Every single one is backed up with actual argumentation and evidence, while all you provide is conjecture and "you're wrong because I said so".

I don't say this often, and I mean it when I say it now. You seriously need to grow up. Stop infantalising yourself, show a bit of maturity, and have this conversation like the reasonable adult I know is hidden somewhere behind that facade of "internet tough-guy".

Please note that this canon source states that Elune is the goddess of the moon - a fact that we were given without a source stating Elune is the goddess of the moon according to Night elven mythology.
    Elune is the goddess of the moon. That's not deniable. However, that doesn't tell us what Elune is nor that she is literally a goddess. The Night elves revere her as such, but that doesn't mean anything. Again, Christians worship the god, Yahweh. It's undeniable to state that Yahweh is a god. However, that doesn't mean anything, similar to what we see here.

No you can't.
    Yes, technically I can.

Again, if that's your interpretation, then I feel bad for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Atop the Golden Throne, wondering how it was easier to get up than back down.
    Please stop feigning ignorance. We do know what/who she is. The Warcraft Encyclopedia tells us what she is. Now, there may be some things about her that change, but she is (as of right now) the Goddess of the Moon.
    We know the Night Elves revere her as a Goddess of the Moon. Ultimately, that is all we can say to know. Blizz has actually been intentionally vague on the subject of Elune, teasing that there's more to her than we know without saying, and only mentioning her in Chronicle starting with being discovered by the Night Elves.
    She may very well be a Goddess of the Moon, we're not denying that; after all, "God" is simply a term for a powerful autonomous entity who is subject to worship. But what if she's more than that?

The thing is, in the known Warcraft universe, we only fully understand a handful of supernatural entities.
    We have the Demons of the Burning Legion, who have been seen in modern times, and whose origins we know explicitly thanks to the Chronicle.
    We have the Old Gods, who have been seen in modern times, and whose origins we know explicitly thanks to the Chronicle - making them "gods" in name only, since they ultimately are just fleshy tools of the Void Lords.
    We have the Titans, who have never been seen but whose works have retained highly explicit records of their presence and effects on ancient civilizations, and whose origins we know explicitly thanks to the Chronicle.
    We have the Wild Gods (and by extension, the Loa and Draenor's Primal Gods), whose manifestations are connected to the world itself.
    We have the Naaru, who consider themselves to be servants of the Light and are ultimately the mythos' closest analogue to angels.
    We have the Void Lords, whose origins are still a mystery.

The point of this thread is that Elune is, as far as we're aware, unique - if we take her descriptions at face value, she's literally the only known "Goddess" of her kind. We know of no other deities whose influence extends beyond Azeroth, as her connection to the Naaru (if we can take the successful use of the Tears of Elune to unlock the Light's Heart as "proof") would imply. If Khadgar's theory is correct, Elune doesn't just predate the Well of Eternity - she may predate the Great Ordering of Light and Shadow, and the Titans themselves.

We know that she does exist - her son Cenarius is running around, many of the peoples of Azeroth have heard her voice, and apparently even the Titans knew of her to name one of the Pillars after her, millennia before the Night Elves even existed - but we don't know exactly what form she is (especially because Blizzard has intentionally been vague in this regard). What does it mean for her to be "just" a Goddess - not an Old God, not a Wild God, just a "God"? Does such a thing even exist within the mythos? What does this mean in relation to those other known extraterrestrial entities, particularly the Naaru and the Titans?
    Last edited by Leviatharan; 2016-06-17 at 08:03 AM.
    Leviatharan - Level 120 Blood Elf Unholy Death Knight - Inscription/Herbalism - <Conflux> - Drak'Tharon US

Now author of Morbid Musings, a blog dedicated to DK theorycraft. Ish.

Elune is the goddess of the moon. That's not deniable. However, that doesn't tell us what Elune is nor that she is literally a goddess. The Night elves revere her as such, but that doesn't mean anything. Again, Christians worship the god, Yahweh. It's undeniable to state that Yahweh is a god. However, that doesn't mean anything, similar to what we see here.

Yes, technically I can.

Don't feed the troll. Just ignore him.

At this point, we know that Elune is connected with Dream and Titans (aka Eonar. One Titan that don't have pilar named after her).
    And we know that Elune is connected to Naaru.

I have several theories on how we can connect both, but non of them sound.

Elune is the goddess of the moon. That's not deniable.
    Really? So why did you state:

that doesn't tell us what Elune is nor that she is literally a goddess.
    Yes, technically I can.
    The words of a liar (you) can't convince me that you can. Your inability to gracefully accept your failed attempts to convince others with your lies and simply stop arguing is interesting, but I have to get some sleep. With that in mind, I'll dip out of this thread and let you respond with whatever you want.

I really feel bad for you, repeating the same thing over and over again... It shows a lack of intellect.

7+ Year Old Account
    This thread has turned into a real douchebag magnet, I see. No, the Warcraft Encyclopedia is an old and outdated source of information (seriously, at least with WoWWiki you might have a chance of coming across a page here and there that has been updated recently) and we still don't know exactly what the hell she is.

And if arcane energy is the energy of Elune (who would be technically undead since she is an incorporeal spirit)
    ROTFLMAO, now that's a good one. Really, this thread gets crazier and crazier.