15+ Year Old Account

Best burst dps class/spec? (PVE)

Which classes/specs are the best at bursting down priority single targets / short lived aoe packs? Another way to ask is which classes/specs are currently the best at target switching and bursting down said targets?

I've played a ramp dps class that is poor at target switching for a long, long time, and I'm curious which classes and specs are on the opposite end of that spectrum currently?

Frost DKs with Pillar/Killing Machine/Chained Obliterates? Destro locks with chained mana tapped Chaos Bolts? Rets with whatever it is rets do now? I'm curious for short lived aoe packs as well, though I have no idea what the state of any other class/spec's aoe is.

edit: This is mainly within the context of raiding. i.e. who in your raid comp would you primarily depend upon to burst down priority targets (assuming it's not simply all dps switching)?

Frost Dk and both warr specs have some strong Aoe Burst (the frost one is just a bit rng based, but can be really crazy if things go for goods). About st? I don't know really, i've tried all class minus lock on beta, and my higthes st burst was 700k with assa rogue, but that was on the pvp server with crappy stats (versatility ftw lol) and fully upgraded but low itl Artifacts, soo... dunno.

But remember that balance is still on going and legion is still 2+ months away, numbers will change a lot.
    Last edited by Halobob87; 2016-06-16 at 10:53 PM.

Balancing is NOT done. If you go by what's going on right now, everyone is out of wack - ignore numbers, focus on the *mechanics* of rotations.

Frost Dk and both wars, as Halo said are very powerful.

Demo needs to be balanced, but it certainly has the potential to be a very potent AoE spec if you spec for it. Hand of Gul'Dan with doom talent -> Summon Darkglare, Thal'kiel's Discord, Implosion while your demon aoes in teh pack..yeah quite potent.

Fire Mage has always been at least competent at AoE.

As long as Starfall is a thing, Balance Druid will always be pretty strong.

In their current state, Survival Hunter might be the best AoE class. Explosive trap, Dragon's Fire Grenade and Fury of the Eagle are nothing to sneeze at.Dragon's Fire Grenade might not be working properly yet, though - it's pretty brokenly powerful.

DH certainly can't be ignored. I haven't tested it, but from its kit it seems to have A LOT of AoE.

Pretty much every class has some Aoe competence. If you ask for the best: you're going to have to wait. Balance passes are happening as we speak, and what's true today might be wrong tomorrow. If I had to guess, in the end, I think Demo Lock is going to end up on top of the AoE dps since it just has so many tools to AoE with, but it's impossible to know. Right now, I think SV Hunter is top.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshimiko View Post
    Right, I understand we're still in the tuning phases; I'm primarily asking which class/spec's kits lend themselves the best towards burst dps.

Yoshimiko, who do you think are the strongest categories for Single Target bursting?

Quote Originally Posted by Smog View Post
    Right, I understand we're still in the tuning phases; I'm primarily asking which class/spec's kits lend themselves the best towards burst dps.

Yoshimiko, who do you think are the strongest categories for Single Target bursting?
    Well, Thing about that is - it depends on how controlled you want that burst and how delayed you want it. A lot of classes are based around 'burst windows' where you unload a lot of damage in a short period of time. Survival Hunter's Mongoose Bite + Artifact ability, Arms Warrior's Colossus Smash, Fury Warrior's Enrage period, but I'd guess Assassin Rogue is going to be the scariest in Arena if they can stick to their target for just 6 seconds.

Assassination's Rogue's artifact ability is Kingsbane. It's a dot over 14 seconds that does decent damage...buuut, it increases its damage by 20% every time you proc Lethal Poison in its window. Vendetta unleashes a barrage of poisoned daggers doing MASSIVE amounts of damage. Vendetta ALSO refills ALL of your energy. Shadowblades makes you do shadow damage - ignoring all armor (poisons still do nature). Bleeds already ignore all armor. Elaborate Planning increases your damage by 20% for 6 seconds after using a finishing move. Prey on the Weak makes targets take 10% more damage while cced by you. Exsanguinate makes all of your bleeds tic 400% faster. Marked for Death gives you 5 combo points instantly, as well. That being said, this burst has a 4-5 second set up and is over the next 10 seconds.

To add to it, if you're talking about in PVP - System Shock or Creeping Venom add a pretty sizable chunk of damage.

With so much damage amplification and so much power to do damage in the kit.. I can't imagine Assassination rogue not being one of the top burst classes. For PVP they also have the power to STICK to their targets, unlike the other classes I listed. In PVE, I expect either Sin or SV Hunter to have the highest burst.

15+ Year Old Account
    When I was testing all the dps specs roughly a month ago Enhance had some pretty nasty burst.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've played a ramp dps class that is poor at target switching for a long, long time, and I'm curious which classes and specs are on the opposite end of that spectrum currently?
    You know, Ele's target switching will be a lot better in Legion. I still recommend you reroll though.

The answer to your question is hunter or boomkin.
    HEROES NEVER DIE

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollfat View Post
    You know, Ele's target switching will be a lot better in Legion. I still recommend you reroll though.
    I'm a shadow priest

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a shadow priest
    That was my second guess xD
    HEROES NEVER DIE

10+ Year Old Account
    With tuning still ongoing these answers will change over and over.

And if you watch streams or play Beta, you will see players with the 3rd relic slot unlocked are leading the dps meters, making it difficult to be sure.

I would say Enhancement Shaman, Fury Warrior with cooldown talents, Unholy DKs, Frost Dks, and Assassination Rogues seem to have the potential for massive burst.
    Last edited by Ehrees; 2016-06-17 at 12:36 PM.