Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Make WoW F2P to save Raiding

It's all about entitlement.

Only a minority has the time/will to commit to a raiding schedule. However, everyone still has to pay the same sub fee. I think Blizzard feels this is unfair: those who don't raid may then feel entitled to "see all the content", since they payed for it.

If WoW were Free2Play, there would be no more reason for LFR to exist.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

im very confused as to where you came to this conclusion

Quote Originally Posted by zaino View Post
    It's a theory. I may very well be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Moon View Post
    It's a theory. I may very well be wrong.
    Yeah I have a hard time seeing this being right in any way
    Bleh

Quote Originally Posted by Boathouse View Post
    Yeah I have a hard time seeing this being right in any way
    Okay? Care to elaborate why?

Okay? Care to elaborate why?
    That's easy. Blizzard has to earn money. And the biggest part of money is earned not from kewl l33t pro mythic raiders, but from lfr mouthbreathers instead.

Still, I find your theory amusing. I've seen some elitism for years of playing this damned game, but you, sir, are moving it to a whole new level.
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's all about entitlement.

Only a minority has the time/will to commit to a raiding schedule. However, everyone still has to pay the same sub fee. I think Blizzard feels this is unfair: those who don't raid may then feel entitled to "see all the content", since they payed for it.

If WoW were Free2Play, there would be no more reason for LFR to exist.
    lol.

LFR is here to stay, whether the game goes F2P or not. And that's fine.

Nothing is going to save raiding. Raiding itself is an archaic holdover from the past generation of MMOs. It's unappealing. As you said, only a minority have the time/will to commit to a raiding schedule, that is to say to schedule their week every week around raiding. Gaming used to be for basement dwellers and children, now it's super mainstream and accessible. Raiding isn't. Raiding, at least in the form that the hardcore raiders of WoW know and love, is going the way of the dodo. And that's okay.

Is this one of those "Remove LFR" threads in disguise?

That whole "theory" is as nonsensical as it gets.

Raid attendance has absolutely nothing to do with the sub fee. There's a bunch of good reasons why people don't raid and none of them would change if the game was suddenly free.

Quote Originally Posted by zaino View Post
    He's basically saying that at present the player base is made of mostly people with money but no time and are being catered to in the form of LFR.
    He's suggested that the game model be changed to accommodate players with time and no money, effectively opening the door to more players who would raid higher at a difficulty than LFR because the money wouldn't be a limiting factor.
    This would end the argument that "we should get to kill Archimonde and get tier and the same cosmetic rewards as mythic raiders because we pay the same as everyone else even though we can only play for 5 minutes per week", allowing the game to remove itself from LFR entirely.

Raiding is the most stable of all content long term why does it need saving exactly never mind the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Jyggalag View Post
    This would end the argument that "we should get to kill Archimonde and get tier and the same cosmetic rewards as mythic raiders because we pay the same as everyone else even though we can only play for 5 minutes per week", allowing the game to remove itself from LFR entirely.
    This is not an argument though and never was. This is pure stupidity of a free2play generation which thinks game companies has to lick their asses for their dirty 5$, which is ridiculous. Everyone gets equal access to content for their sub fee. And that's it.
    Last edited by l33t; 2016-06-17 at 08:02 AM.

Deleted
    What would change, if there's no LFR anymore? Dunno why everybody just complaints about the LFR, why shouldn't be everyone possible, to see the Bosses? I mean I rlly couldn't care less, I've cleared on Mythic, thus I don't have to play LFR, but who am I to forbid people who don't want to spend more time in that game to see all of the content?

He's basically saying that at present the player base is made of mostly people with money but no time and are being catered to in the form of LFR.
    He's suggested that the game model be changed to accommodate players with time and no money, effectively opening the door to more players who would raid higher at a difficulty than LFR because the money wouldn't be a limiting factor.
    That's wrong, people with time and no money don't have to spend money, because with enough time they just can buy Gametime-Tokens for ingame gold.
    Last edited by mmoc8c388351a1; 2016-06-17 at 08:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by l33t View Post
    This is pure stupidity of a free2play generation
    I come from a generation where buying a Metroid NES cardrige did not automatically kill the Mother Brain for you.

Quote Originally Posted by l33t View Post
    This is not an argument though and never was. This is pure stupidity of a free2play generation which thinks game companies has to lick their asses for their dirty 5$, which is ridiculous. Everyone gets equal access to content for their sub fee. And that's it.
    If this were true then there would be no reason to have 4 raid difficulties. Blizz would say "you have access to this difficulty of raid but choose not to so it's not up to us to cater to that". The opposite is true where they need to have LFR to appeal to the majority of the player base the game now supports. When the design team was considering removing tier from LFR the community went ape shit.

I'm not arguing for LFR just stating the facts. I would love to see what's effectively a watered down gaming experience where you complete the game in a few hours removed but at this point it would be a massive risk to the long term survival of the game. Would Blizz gain enough players to make up for those they lose and also be able to generate the same amount of revenue without a sub? This is a massive deterrent of the idea in itself. LFR is here to stay whether we like it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizhuf View Post
    That's wrong, people with time and no money don't have to spend money, because with enough time they just can buy Gametime-Tokens for ingame gold.
    I never said it wasn't, just explaining what I gathered from the OP.
    Though one could argue that the majority of brand new players wouldn't be able to farm 30k gold or w/e it is for a token even if given several month's free game time regardless of their time investment.
    They also wouldn't be able to pay their way to 100 instantly. They'd have to put up with older neglected content while leveling and not really know whether to expect more of the same at end game.
    Blizz have done a lot to combat this though with free game at the movie and free 100 with a Legion pre purchase etc.
    Last edited by Jyggalag; 2016-06-17 at 08:22 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was kicked from my guild last night, my raiding t-shirt wasn't dry from the washing line. I asked for them to wait whilst I could try and dry t. They said "NO NO YOU JOKE! YOU NO RAIDER! YOU ARE JOKE!" I said "but please! please! It's my special raiding t-shirt! You will see! You will see! it makes me play better!"

I was kicked

I'm not arguing for LFR just stating the facts. I would love to see what's effectively a watered down gaming experience where you complete the game in a few hours removed but at this point it would be a massive risk to the long term survival of the game. Would Blizz gain enough players to make up for those they lose and also be able to generate the same amount of revenue without a sub? This is a massive deterrent of the idea in itself. LFR is here to stay whether we like it or not.
    Why do you care so much, I wonder? People who go to lfr, won't join real raiding anyways. If only, it should be reverted to the state it was in MoP, where LFR was hard and had real tier and trinkets, instead of an abomination they made in WoD. I am a raider and always was, but I admit I had fun sometimes playing alts in MoP's lfr with friends. WoD's lfr - I never sticked my feet there, neither did my friends, because it is more fun to watch paint dry then to participate in this snorefest which gives no gear.

This is like a thread by that person that starts these threads.

If anyone should be paying extra for raiding, it should be the people who use up 50% of Blizzard's development resources for 5% of the subscribers.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    This thread is going places.
    Yes it will be interesting to see how it evolves to cover new and interesting viewpoints.