Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    Someone was suggesting sugar and salt. Problem is those big companies behind all this chocolate shit and fast food wont be happy and god forbid we can protect our citizens. A private company's benefits are much more important.
    I wouldn't be happy with a salt tax. I work in 100+ F and humid conditions. Pretty much the only way to survive is making homemade Gatorade (water, lemon juice, salt, sugar).

The real issue in this thread, in my opinion, is that people have forgotten how to feed themselves and now rely on processed and preserved foods.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Coins View Post
    We can educate, but we shouldn't be punishing people for their weight or lack of health, forcing them to pay more taxes, forcing them to attend exercise classes.
    So tax for things known to be related to obesity or malnurition.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by tankbug View Post
    Any action (reasonable) taken won't be enough to turn it around for now. People do less manual labor, kids are less physically active, food is abundant and cheap.
    Btw, how will you tax unhealthy food? Calories pr 100g? Fat content? Sugar content? Specific items?
    In the UK at least, a lot of chocolate/sugar based foods have almost doubled in price over the last 5 or so years, as a deterrent. Candy bars that were around 25-30p/35 cents are now around 60p/85cents, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    In the UK at least, a lot of chocolate/sugar based foods have almost doubled in price over the last 5 or so years, as a deterrent. Candy bars that were around 25-30p/35 cents are now around 60p/85cents, for example.
    Any evidence that it reduces consumption? Cigarettes were about $1 when I started, they're $8 or more now and I still smoke. Gas was less that $1 when I started driving, and it's ranged up to $6 in some US areas. I didn't stop driving.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Any evidence that it reduces consumption? Cigarettes were about $1 when I started, they're $8 or more now and I still smoke. Gas was less that $1 when I started driving, and it's ranged up to $6 in some US areas. I didn't stop driving.
    Not really, it may stop people on budgets from buying in excess, but people that can afford the luxury, will continue to do so.

You can be Fat & Fit like some NFL Players

Most fat from the body is expelled thru the breath..
    The fat metabolizes and gets expelled out of the body when you breath out..
    Therefore..need more people walking.. Jogging is to hard for overly obese people and its bad on the legs.

Walking needs to be made more Sexy.

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Coins View Post
    People are free to eat whatever they want. If obesity rates go up, it goes up, if it goes down, it goes down.

Not something politicians should be nannying over.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    That's my take on it.
    So are you saying we need more fat shaming threads?

While I wish I didn't have to pay large quantities of taxes to pay for the healthcare of people that eat themselves into hospitals, it is nice to be much more attractive than average merely by virtue of not being a complete slob.

"Albania, Libya, Montenegro and Georgia were the worst performers among the countries studied when it came to under fives being overweight – with a rate of around 20 percent or more.

The United States, Turkey, Libya, Lebanon and Qatar were among the countries where more than two-thirds of adults were overweight or obese."

-------

In the first group, this is due to malnutrtion, junk food just costs less than a healthy meal. When someone is starving all he cares about is caloric intake, not quality of the 'fuel'.

In the second group, this is due to sugary drinks and soda consumption. While I was in Egypt for business I saw that the clothes stores for men used dolls that actually had a gut; it really is the norm there to be overwieght. Also, my Egyptian colleagues drank 1 - 1.5 lt of coke with their meals, as well as extra sweet tea after the meal. The food was relatively healthy though (rice, chicken without the skin, fish, vegetables etc.).

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    I hope one day people can explain to what is wrong with (social) justice. By the words alone it sounds like a good thing.
    Oh, I don't know. Maybe the complete and total fascism and racism from upper middle class white and black college students thinking they know everything about the world and will get their way by whining on twitter.

They lie about every single issue they are fighting against and exude so much cognitive dissonance they make my brain explode. Do you know there was an article about a feminist who was raped by islamist but didn't want to report it because she was worried she would make them look bad? Yeah, those are the people you should be friends with.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    http://www.euronews.com/2016/06/16/o...every-country/

Enough is enough. How much data do we need before we take serious action against this crisis?
    At the very least it's time to come down with some really high taxes on unhealthy food.
    You think fatshaming is actually something good or what?
    If people can't take this responsability for themselves, how can we expect anyone else to be able to do it for them? Obesity is a result of our society, full of stress, not enough exercise and food filled with fat and sugar. In the US, no action is taken against it because corporations don't allow it. Change for the US is impossible, because any neccesary change is seen as DA GUBMENT TELLN ME WADDUDO! At the same time, corporations are already telling you what to do and how to do it.

Deleted
    What I think they need to do is stop being so nice. Just outright tell them if you stay like this you'll probably live 10 years less then you otherwise would.
    If they come up with excuses all the time just tell them that its not a valid reason, get a little mad even. Some people need a little push.

I also think people with obesity which don't have some sort of medical condition should have to pay more for medical insurance.

Lol at the images above, I didn't read the first bit at first and wasn't sure if it was a dude or girl. If they are in a ward to loose weight and do eat on the side then they should be kicked out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Provocative solutions:

1. Wealthy/Developed nations:
    Turn the Internet off. See how the overall weight averages go down again. Without internet, people have to actually engage in physical activities again.

2. Poor/Developing nations:
    Eliminate poverty and food insecurities. Because then these people have actually a choice and can eat healthier.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

http://www.euronews.com/2016/06/16/o...every-country/

Enough is enough. How much data do we need before we take serious action against this crisis?
    At the very least it's time to come down with some really high taxes on unhealthy food.
    it's less food and more people sit on their asses all day especially kids who when I grew up the outdoors were your babysitter now it's the tv

Deleted
    So who's gonna pay for the healthcare bills exactly?
    You.
    Thanks - fat people.
    U mad?

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Serious action such as what? Do you have a few specific examples to give?
    Find a way to make healthy food as cheap as the unhealthy stuff or as easy to prepare or as addictive or...

The unhealthy food is cheaper and easier and comes in larger quantities.

The flip side is also not just the food, but the activity level of the larger people. No need for free gym memberships for all but some form of exercise also helps.

Food intake and activity combined.....

What kind of action should "we" take? And who is going to enforce this vague "action" that "we" are taking?

People can do whatever they want with themselves for the most part. We enjoy abundance and ease in the modern age. That's life.

Dear scientists!
    Please, instead of researching useless crap like global warming or problems of populations of north ducks, develop already a fucking pills, which, while being eaten, allow all people to eat anything they want in any doses they want in any time they want without any consequences, unlike now, when only a fraction of people with lucky genes can do that.
    Thank you,
    Your loving people of the Earth.
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though

What ever counties do, we America does better, we're #1!

10+ Year Old Account
    You can be overweight and healthy. Obese and overweight aren't the same thing. You can be slim and unhealthy, you can be fit and unhealthy. Your outsides may look great but your insides can be a disaster.