Out of curiosity here I've heard that eventually you'll hit a wall unless you use a pre-made build, how bad is it exactly? I ask because right now in act 2 the game is pretty easy so I'm wondering at what point I'm supposed to hit a wall just doing what ever I want.

Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    Out of curiosity here I've heard that eventually you'll hit a wall unless you use a pre-made build, how bad is it exactly? I ask because right now in act 2 the game is pretty easy so I'm wondering at what point I'm supposed to hit a wall just doing what ever I want.
    As the noob I am, I often hit a wall called 'death' in Act IV. Usually within one of the two trials. Yes. On normal. The only time I actually got through it was when I created a retaliation build with max block, everything defensive, maxed res, etc. After which I died to something absolutely unknown to me. I just exploded the second I came in melee range of a mob that had just appeared. I'm gaming on my TV, so I usually can't really see mob descriptions.

All in all, I seldom get past A4.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2016-06-15 at 04:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    much like d3 classic before RoS made it a single player game
    Just wanting to say it's not the case at all. Pretty much because only long-term goal in D3 atm are ladders and it's "party or die" for them. The rest basically doesn't require anything from group comp to actual build. Also D3 classic was an hell of a system where only useful stuff was gated behing artificial crap walls and balanced through the use of AH which only made people just skip the game entirely since leveling to cap takes no time. /endofftopic

To be honest, it's not the problem of having all crap items up to 60. It's more to know which affixes are good or not for your build; in this game there's zero handholding, so people is simply left by themselves in finding what actually works and whatnot. Add to this that there are an incredible amount of possibilities all that may work with different stats and you get the point.

Basically, it's the affirmed mindset of "i have to search for the best setups" which goes against PoE setup "you need to choose between setups and focus on that". Many find themselves lost.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't really know, currently i'm level 33 and blasting things out though it's just normal and likely it's intended. Imho to make a "successful" build, focus on a single weapon and one/two damage types, aswell as one/two defenses and try to stack them as much as you can. Better to be specialized in something and work around your weaknesses than to be mediocre on everything.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    Just wanting to say it's not the case at all. Pretty much because only long-term goal in D3 atm are ladders and it's "party or die" for them. The rest basically doesn't require anything from group comp to actual build. Also D3 classic was an hell of a system where only useful stuff was gated behing artificial crap walls and balanced through the use of AH which only made people just skip the game entirely since leveling to cap takes no time. /endofftopic

To be honest, it's not the problem of having all crap items up to 60. It's more to know which affixes are good or not for your build; in this game there's zero handholding, so people is simply left by themselves in finding what actually works and whatnot. Add to this that there are an incredible amount of possibilities all that may work with different stats and you get the point.

Basically, it's the affirmed mindset of "i have to search for the best setups" which goes against PoE setup "you need to choose between setups and focus on that". Many find themselves lost.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't really know, currently i'm level 33 and blasting things out though it's just normal and likely it's intended. Imho to make a "successful" build, focus on a single weapon and one/two damage types, aswell as one/two defenses and try to stack them as much as you can. Better to be specialized in something and work around your weaknesses than to be mediocre on everything.
    Around level 40 you'll get to where I usually die, about. Curious to find out how you manage :P

Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    Around level 40 you'll get to where I usually die, about. Curious to find out how you manage :P
    Well, i'll have to test it - i'm at the "kill Piety" quest; all bosses seem to take somewhat longer for me to kill, but i simply assume it's intended. I dided a couple of times, but it was every time because of a unique+rare+pack combo that wasn't sustainable (and i didn't die immediately).

The idea is that i know already what i want to get offensively (while i have zero idea if it's something that can actually work). So i'm proceeding with the skeleton of my build (getting only necessary "road nodes", getting only up to the "big" passive on nodes) while having open side-paths to defensive ones.

Example: now i'm proceeding towards a dual wield damage/block node, but to get to that i travel near a evasion/shield node and a physdmg/hp node. Both require 3 points to get the "big one". If i find that new areas are too tough (usually because things deal lots of damage, i just drop a point on those side ones, up to the big.
    MOving forward other damage nodes also unlocks other defensive ones, so i adjust depending on where i am on the tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    Well, i'll have to test it - i'm at the "kill Piety" quest; all bosses seem to take somewhat longer for me to kill, but i simply assume it's intended. I dided a couple of times, but it was every time because of a unique+rare+pack combo that wasn't sustainable (and i didn't die immediately).

The idea is that i know already what i want to get offensively (while i have zero idea if it's something that can actually work). So i'm proceeding with the skeleton of my build (getting only necessary "road nodes", getting only up to the "big" passive on nodes) while having open side-paths to defensive ones.

Example: now i'm proceeding towards a dual wield damage/block node, but to get to that i travel near a evasion/shield node and a physdmg/hp node. Both require 3 points to get the "big one". If i find that new areas are too tough (usually because things deal lots of damage, i just drop a point on those side ones, up to the big.
    MOving forward other damage nodes also unlocks other defensive ones, so i adjust depending on where i am on the tree.
    Tip for the coming bosses, cap your resistances.

Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    Tip for the coming bosses, cap your resistances.
    Thanks, will try to do so

If you think the game feels easy enough so far you should love act 4. Also, focusing your build on one thing is generally best, yes, unless you really know what you are doing. For new players, the best advice is probably to stick with the most obvious archetypes and not try anything too fancy. A lot of people advise playing whatever you want just to experience the game first, but I think that's dumb, it's probably best to copy an established build that you know will be decent before you end up making an awful build and deciding the game is too hard/slow/boring. Difficulty picks up a lot in act 4, especially in cruel, so the end of normal and cruel is where you can expect your build to start being tested.

Out of curiosity here I've heard that eventually you'll hit a wall unless you use a pre-made build, how bad is it exactly?
    No such thing. Builds hit a wall due to poor planning &/or interactions.

Build people come up with on their own without a lot of testing are prone to failure because they lack planning &/or appropriate understanding of gameplay interactions.

But there is no such thing as hitting a wall because you are not running a "pre-made" build. There is no such thing as pre-made builds in the game- those are build people made up. And the best one can do is follow another player's guide- no such button or UI element allows one to select a "pre-made" build.

Any assertion contra is 100% incorrect.

If you think the game feels easy enough so far you should love act 4. Also, focusing your build on one thing is generally best, yes, unless you really know what you are doing. For new players, the best advice is probably to stick with the most obvious archetypes and not try anything too fancy. A lot of people advise playing whatever you want just to experience the game first, but I think that's dumb, it's probably best to copy an established build that you know will be decent before you end up making an awful build and deciding the game is too hard/slow/boring. Difficulty picks up a lot in act 4, especially in cruel, so the end of normal and cruel is where you can expect your build to start being tested.
    NAAAAAHHH i'm going the fun way and try stuff out. It's the best part of the game imho - try things and see how far you can push with them. Endgame should be reachable by any build given enough time/gear apart clearly badly planned ones.

Now i want to setup a 2hand/cold/minions build. Have to decide which class looks best to use - likely Scion or The Templar, favoring the first one as i can go through one of the "main" routes and get a second start point through the Ascendancy.

Same here. I don't really care for endgame, as long as I can be creative.

Playing the generic Slayer RT Earthquake w/ 5L Marohi and I've been saving up for Kaom's chest, but looking at a few people's profiles on the ladder, it seems pretty split on people using Kaom's and and Lightning Coil. Now Koam's is ~4ex and LC is only ~35c. Wondering if I'm missing something here about why some are using LC? Doesn't appear to be a price issue cause they're using 6L Disfavour's and such.

I've got about 3-3.5ex saved up and if an LC is close to as good as Koam's that'd let me upgrade the rest of my gear as they're mostly 1-2c pieces right now.

People have been jerking LC off for several leagues. Having more life and taking less damage are about the same, and they are about the same defensively. If you use purity of lightning and a topaz flask LC is probably better, if you don't Kaom's probably is, and lots of people blindly use LC just because it's meta without really taking advantage of it. Also worth noting that Kaom's is better against elemental damage because LC does literally nothing against it.

If you are stacking endurance charges and fortify and basalt flask then LC starts to shine.

People have been jerking LC off for several leagues. Having more life and taking less damage are about the same, and they are about the same defensively. If you use purity of lightning and a topaz flask LC is probably better, if you don't Kaom's probably is, and lots of people blindly use LC just because it's meta without really taking advantage of it. Also worth noting that Kaom's is better against elemental damage because LC does literally nothing against it.

If you are stacking endurance charges and fortify and basalt flask then LC starts to shine.
    I've never used either LC or Koam's...nor immortal call in any character.......

They added an alternative to LC this league at least...

So uhm, normally i stay away from melee builds, i generally play caster builds & I don't like CoC builds.

But this league i was tempted to try out something new, so I made a juggernaut focussed around attack speed, dualwielding mjölners with 4x arc+2x life leech in them. Proccing mjolners with molten strike+gmp+lmp+projectile head enchant... and at around 14 attacks per second.

Now I have a problem, and i think you can see what it is - my game crashes occassionally, even more so on badly placed allies cannot die packs, you just go in, get a massive slideshow and then game crashes.

Is there anything I can do to prevent these crashes, they are getting on my nerves, lost a few uber lab portals because of them!
    My DK
    (retired since januari 2017) solely playing PoE now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lagwin View Post
    I've never used either LC or Koam's...nor immortal call in any character.......
    Me either
    Quote Originally Posted by Redblade View Post
    They added an alternative to LC this league at least...
    I like the concept, but I don't see myself using anything but Hyrri's on a dodge based character, and I don't see myself ever making an evasion character that is not dodge based as well. It's certainly a fantastic chest against bosses.

I like the concept, but I don't see myself using anything but Hyrri's on a dodge based character, and I don't see myself ever making an evasion character that is not dodge based as well. It's certainly a fantastic chest against bosses.
    To each their own, it's a very viable alternative to LC though which was my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Redblade View Post
    To each their own, it's a very viable alternative to LC though which was my point.
    Yeah if you don't get hit more often than once every 4 seconds

Yeah if you don't get hit more often than once every 4 seconds
    Well with a high eva build you probably won't and when you do you have 20% DR without the need to run purity of lightning and increased evasion for the next 4 seconds. I'll probably test it with IR though to get the DR when hit and higher armor after the hit.