Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
    Yeah, funny that isn't it? People feel sorry for seeing an animal abused, then the idiots who say things like "oh but you eat meat so shut up" feel it's appropriate to point score like that. When in actual fact, slowly beating an animal to death like in the video doesn't even happen in most first world slaughterhouses.
    Yeah ok, its really horrible and should be stopped, so go and enjoy your hamburger from a fast food joint.

Every time you buy meat and dairy form the store you are contributing to those and similar practices. And that doesn't go just for the times you buy meat directly or dairy directly, it also counts for all the times you buy stuff that has those ingredients. Or things with leather...or wool, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, funny that isn't it? People feel sorry for seeing an animal abused, then the idiots who say things like "oh but you eat meat so shut up" feel it's appropriate to point score like that. When in actual fact, slowly beating an animal to death like in the video doesn't even happen in most first world slaughterhouses.

- - - Updated - - -

Have you ever actually been to a modern slaughterhouse, and have actually seen how they slaughter the animals there?

No, you haven't. Because they certainly don't use sledgehammers to slowly beat animals to death. Not every slaughterhouse, or country for that matter, treats livestock animals like that so to say they're "equally bad" is either a flat-out lie or dripping with ignorance.
    I'm gonna stop you right there.

You need to know I live on a farmed animal sanctuary that my wife runs, where we rescue abused and neglected farmed animals. I guarantee-goddamn-tee you i've been to and seen more than you can even imagine.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Yeah ok, its really horrible and should be stopped, so go and enjoy your hamburger from a fast food joint.

Every time you buy meat and dairy form the store you are contributing to those and similar practices. And that doesn't go just for the times you buy meat directly or dairy directly, it also counts for all the times you buy stuff that has those ingredients. Or things with leather...or wool, etc.
    I rarely eat fast food, I can make a better burger myself. And anyway, most of the places here source locally.

Well, no, because not all places sledgehammer their cows to death. Certainly not in my country, where you'd get arrested for doing something like that. And I'd like to see a dairy farm in Australia that routinely slowly beats their animals to death.

I'm gonna stop you right there.

You need to know I live on a farmed animal sanctuary that my wife runs, where we rescue abused and neglected farmed animals. I guarantee-goddamn-tee you i've been to and seen more than you can even imagine.
    Yeah, I'm sure you do. Stop using isolated incidents and painting them as the norm, especially in a country where you don't even live and have NFI what the laws/regulations/conditions are like.
    Last edited by Fargus; 2016-06-17 at 01:11 PM.

I rarely eat fast food, I can make a better burger myself. And anyway, most of the places here source locally.

Well, no, because not all places sledgehammer their cows to death. Certainly not in my country, where you'd get arrested for doing something like that. And I'd like to see a dairy farm in Australia that routinely slowly beats their animals to death.

I don't give a flying fuck. Stop using isolated incidents and painting them as the norm, especially in a country where you don't even live and have NFI what the laws/regulations/conditions are like.
    Isolated incidents?

You are literally talking straight from your ass. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Let me ask you something....what happens to the cows born in the dairy industry in Australia...or any country really?
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Anastacy View Post
    Can someone (in detail) explain to me a "humane" process of killing an animal, intended for the purpose of eating?

Bonus points if you include examples from different animal types (chickens, pigs, cows, etc.).
    Here in the US, most slaughterhouses use one of these.

You calmly walk up to the cow, quick zoop this thing right between its eyes on the top of the head, pull the trigger, and blam, it is unconscious forever. It is then hoisted into the air (very carefully, making sure not to slam it into anything so it bruises) by its back legs, tied together, sometimes around the hooves, sometimes through the leg tendons and whatnot, then its jugular is cut, allowing it to bleed out.

You can repeat the above for pigs.

As for chickens, there are shock/stun baths, usually. It's an electrified pool of water that intends to shock the bird unconscious, then it moves into a pool of very hot water, a scald bath, to loosen the feathers.

However, this method is not particularly good. Sometimes the bird is not stunned into unconsciousness by the shock bath. Sometimes the bird is shocked previous to the bath through conductive means, resulting in seizures pre-bath. Sometimes the bird is moved into the scald bath while still alive.

When the animal becomes stressed from struggling or harm (physical or mental), it begins to build up lactic acid in its muscles. This turns the taste from standard to awful. An animal with high lactic acid is not edible in extreme cases. An animal that has been bruised does not have a usable hide.
    Last edited by stross01; 2016-06-17 at 01:36 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    There is zero reason to kill them inhumanly, the least we can do is to give them a fast and painless death, but I guess the mother fuckers want to save some money or some other bullshit reason, we can only hope those people get a slow death to.
    Wrote a stupid rant in reply, but i'll go with this:

I'm a butcher, every now and then i'll get some twit like yourself in the store protesting about how the whole industry is inhumane, immoral and whatnot.

Fuck off.

People want meat, we supply.

We kill animals (in this case, a cow) for food, deal with it.

There's a metric shitton of rules and regulations, but whenever a bunch of idiots like these show up the whole industry gets criticism from the public.

Deleted
    It's horrible and should be stopped....go enjoy your burger
    It tastes so good though. Just to get on point though, one of my friends was a butcher and worked in several slaughter houses for years, it's always been common practice here to stun the animals then slit the throat. However, he said that very rarely, an animal would wake up while it's bleeding out, and there was nothing they could do for it because it was too late to stun it again and that always made him and his colleagues depressed.

He once told me about the time he worked in a Halaal place. He was there for a day and he quit because what they did and what the animal went through made him literally sick.

Religious significance be damned, I think barbaric practices like that should be stopped, and people should focus on that rather than the rest of the industry that uses as humane means as possible.
    Last edited by mmoc1951e8febb; 2016-06-17 at 01:25 PM.

Isolated incidents?

You are literally talking straight from your ass. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Let me ask you something....what happens to the cows born in the dairy industry in Australia...or any country really?
    As opposed to somebody who states that it is equally bad everywhere?

Do you actually have any hard proof that every slaughterhouse uses a sledgehammer to kill their cattle, or in grotesquely, inhumanely, time inefficient ways? They certainly don't here.

Killing a cow with a sledgehammer in a modern slaughterhouse is so inefficient that they wouldn't bother wasting their time. Not every person working on the slaughter line is some sadistic, deranged person.

I'll answer it for you: they don't beat them with sledgehammers. And if they did, it would be incidences like shown in Vietnam where animals have no legal protection and the people handling them don't have a modern view of their welfare.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    I cant wait for the animal rights activists to come here saying how inhumane it is.... and then continue eating their burgers, steaks, wings, etc.
    I don't think the moral stances are quite equivalent here though.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Whats humanely?
    A bolt gun to the head which kills the animal instantly rather repeatedly bashing it's skull in with a sledge hammer? Just an idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurgath View Post
    Well, I doubt there's a person alive who doesn't squash flies, mosquidos, spiders, ... on this world. They are animals too, fyi.

- - - Updated - - -

If we want to survive we have to kill, either animals or plants.
    If mosquitoes didn't bite/suck blood/spread deadly diseases, I wouldn't kill them. I tend to ignore small spiders because they're good pest control, though.

As far as the video goes, I didn't watch it but the image of a man with a sledgehammer overhead tells me all I need to know. That's just sadistic... its a conscious decision to do that to an animal instead of a bolt gun/humane death.

Hopefully someone cracks that guy with a sledgehammer one day.
    Last edited by Mirishka; 2016-06-17 at 01:25 PM.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

As opposed to somebody who states that it is equally bad everywhere?

Do you actually have any hard proof that every slaughterhouse uses a sledgehammer to kill their cattle, or in grotesquely, inhumanely, time inefficient ways? They certainly don't here.

Killing a cow with a sledgehammer in a modern slaughterhouse is so inefficient that they wouldn't bother wasting their time. Not every person working on the slaughter line is some sadistic, deranged person.

I'll answer it for you: they don't beat them with sledgehammers. And if they did, it would be incidences like shown in Vietnam where animals have no legal protection and the people handling them don't have a modern view of their welfare.
    You are not qualified to argue this. I know this because you think "time inefficient" slaughter is a negative thing. It's the speed that things need to be done that increases the in humane practices. Before you continue looking stupid I suggest you do some research on line speeds and what that does to animals and even the workers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vanya View Post
    Wrote a stupid rant in reply, but i'll go with this:

I'm a butcher, every now and then i'll get some twit like yourself in the store protesting about how the whole industry is inhumane, immoral and whatnot.

Fuck off.

People want meat, we supply.

We kill animals (in this case, a cow) for food, deal with it.

There's a metric shitton of rules and regulations, but whenever a bunch of idiots like these show up the whole industry gets criticism from the public.
    You are quite literally full of crap.

Deleted
    You are quite literally full of crap.
    Fine, i'll bite, i'm bored anyway.

Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Vanya View Post
    Fine, i'll bite, i'm bored anyway.

Why?
    In the factory farms the laws a barely enforced as they are able to limit when and where usda can inspect.

I cant wait for the animal rights activists to come here saying how inhumane it is.... and then continue eating their burgers, steaks, wings, etc.
    I expect most animal rights activists are vegetarian or are well aware of where their meat comes from and how it was treated/processed.

Deleted
    Ok, fine I will add a comment for this side of the conversation; I am a vegetarian, I do not hold anything against people who want to eat meat, I do not want to force people into not eating meat/stopping the meat industry. However the least people can do is to kill the animals as quickly, painlessly and stress free as possible.

This whole sledgehammer thing is terrible, seeing as cow heads are incredibly hard as they are built to ram head first into things, a little guy like him is not going to be able to kill a cow in one swing, or with that tiny hammer. This is a horrible way to dispatch animals in any way when a simpler and considered more kind way of the bolt gun thing in the side of the cranium into the brain = quick and less stressful as they don't know what's coming.

TLDR; Eating meat is not wrong, how they are treated/killed (here) is.

Nothing really since they don't technically support this. There are plenty of people who will be appalled though... and then ignore how animals are generally treated for the food they eat.
    Well not really. as we are not in Vietnam.. I have no doubt that animal slaughter isn't funny.. (despite having laughter in the name.) but whilst I'd like the animals to be killed with as much kindness as possible, they are still food. it's not like they exist to run free and frolik. their very reason to exist IS to be food.

such is life.
    "There are no substitutes for violence of action and volume of fire. Move forward and shoot, always forward and shooting. The enemy will choose to fight and die or live and run either way move forward and shoot and he will fear you absolutely."
    - Otto Skoernzy

7+ Year Old Account
    meh beat them to death with a 12 oz hammer for all i care, m burger is yummy either way. When i kill an animal with my bow and it doesn't land cleanly, I finish it with my knife, sometimes i have to chase it awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Anastacy View Post
    Can someone (in detail) explain to me a "humane" process of killing an animal, intended for the purpose of eating?

Bonus points if you include examples from different animal types (chickens, pigs, cows, etc.).
    Pretty simple, a fast death.

In the factory farms the laws a barely enforced as they are able to limit when and where usda can inspect.
    okay..... If they were barely enforced, they'd be shut down from undercover stings.
    Quote Originally Posted by blobbydan View Post
    We're all doomed. Let these retards shuffle the chairs on the titanic. They can die in a safe space if they want to... Whatever. What a miserable joke this life is. I can't wait until it's all finally over and I can return to the sweet oblivion of the void.

My grandpa used to cut the chicken's head and then the chicken would jump around headless messing everything up. People were tough back then...