Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    In a perfect world where Blizzard can easily integrate an emulated version of their game into their current B.net infrastructure without investing the same amount of effort they'd exert from simply rebuilding the game from their own stored source code, I'd agree. But as has been mentioned numerous times, Blizzard has already had their legal team look into the possibility and there is no way for Blizzard to protect its IP and grant an operating license to a private server. That is the reality of the situation.
    No, im talking about the team, not the produtc Nost has. Forget about what Nost did software wise, but use their knowledge and experience to integrate in a team with the purpose of rebuiliding a Vanilla version of the game to be integrated in the current infrastructure.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by voidillusion View Post
    No, im talking about the team, not the produtc Nost has. Forget about what Nost did software wise, but use their knowledge and experience to integrate in a team with the purpose of rebuiliding a Vanilla version of the game to be integrated in the current infrastructure.
    Would cost more to re-train them to work with Blizz's systems. Would be easier/cheaper just to move some people around and bring in some new people to work on new content.

You're vastly underestimating the complexity of such an undertaking. The Nost team worked on emulation software which does not operate in any way shape or form like the actual code which Blizzard uses. I'm sure there are similarities but you're comparing apples to oranges in terms of how the code itself operates. Even further, developing Legacy realms isn't something a team of programmers as small as Nost's would be able to accomplish in a reasonable amount of time. Hell, I'd even wager they would much rather hire actual programmers who are already familiar with the programming language Blizzard uses over a couple of people who essentially ghetto rigged a working version of their game on a different platform. At that point, we're pretty much back to square one.

I'll give you that it's a great pie-in-the-sky theory but one which isn't very likely to pan out in reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferwyn View Post
    Would cost more to re-train them to work with Blizz's systems. Would be easier/cheaper just to move some people around and bring in some new people to work on new content.
    Sure, that's the reason why they shouldnt be used, not a reason why they couldn't as some have been throwing around.
    Last edited by voidillusion; 2016-06-17 at 09:47 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by sabe View Post
    Please don't tell me Nost code won't work anymore. I start to think i am talking with same poster with 5 different accounts.I just wanted to know how that poster could be %100 sure. So i asked him to show us his knowledge about the issue. I don't need your guess, if you have knowledge and can prove please tell me if not, stop replying to me about it.
    Damn you sure are pointlessly stubborn. You refuse to believe anything posted where Blizz themselves talk about how the Nost code won't work for them. Unless they come out and say in a blue post "We wanted to make this post for someone named sabe, we are not using Nost code, ever!" you just slam your hands on your ears and just keep arguing a point that has been dead for a long time.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't understand ppl saying the Nost couldn't be a part of this process though. It's only a matter of Blizz wanting that, hiring them or outsorcing them, train them in some way so they keep the product in line with the rest and go with it. Why this is such a problem for some is something i also struggle to see.
    Because Nost reverse engineered with an emulator and guessed at many things. It isn't the same type of coding. Why hire and train them when they could just hire people that would need no training to take what code Blizzard has parts of and spend time making work if they desired Legacy realms that much. Nost offers them nothing they really need. Besides the potential PR backlash for hiring people running a copyright infringing PS isn't likely worth it and could set a really bad precedent.

No wait don't change the direction. We weren't talking about security or anything else. You were saying it can't be done. What happens to your triangles and circles.
    I never said anything if Nost is the best way to do it but you spoke %100 sure it can't be done.
    So you accept there is a possibility that it can be done?
    It can't be done because of security. It has always been my stance. There are other reasons, but you straight ignore this one, is it because it completely destroys your want of blizzard opening a Nost based server...... I never once said anything about triangles and circles that is all you buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Damn you sure are pointlessly stubborn. You refuse to believe anything posted where Blizz themselves talk about how the Nost code won't work for them. Unless they come out and say in a blue post "We wanted to make this post for someone named sabe, we are not using Nost code, ever!" you just slam your hands on your ears and just keep arguing a point that has been dead for a long time.
    You are pointless.
    I didn't say Blizz should use Nost code or it is the best way to do it. I said they can use it, i don't care what they use as long as it works.
    Posters here were %100 sure Nost code can not work with Blizz code. I wanted proof how it can't work and how they are %100 sure but people here talk just because they can.
    I don't care if its best for Blizz or not, I just want those posters to prove me how it is impossible to make them work with solid proof.
    Enlighten us with your knowledge not with your assumptions, guesses etc.

I have been defending something else but people read one sentence and try to attack using it and ignore the rest.
    Next time read more before making a post or don't jump into a debate between others.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaelexi View Post
    It can't be done because of security. It has always been my stance. There are other reasons, but you straight ignore this one, is it because it completely destroys your want of blizzard opening a Nost based server...... I never once said anything about triangles and circles that is all you buddy.
    So now you say it is possible to link Nost code and Blizz code then make them work together but it is not possible to fix the security? Thats strange.
    Can you read? Really? Did i ever say i want a Nost based Blizz server? Its been you people who are saying it is impossible to make Nost code work with Blizz but can't provide any knowledge because you have no knowledge. Stop with your guesses and assumptions cos they are wrong.
    Since you accepted they can somehow work together if wanted, this is no longer an issue.
    Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Because Nost reverse engineered with an emulator and guessed at many things. It isn't the same type of coding. Why hire and train them when they could just hire people that would need no training to take what code Blizzard has parts of and spend time making work if they desired Legacy realms that much. Nost offers them nothing they really need. Besides the potential PR backlash for hiring people running a copyright infringing PS isn't likely worth it and could set a really bad precedent.
    You'd do your best to ignore @sabe simply because we have provided proof that Blizzard can not use any of Nost's code in any fashion(straight out of Chilton's mouth), but he glosses right over it because it doesn't suit his pro-Legacy agenda. I don't respond to the troll at all anymore. He's as bad as @Jaylock.

I wasn't aware that Chiton's words were gospel and always correspond 100% to the truth. Not saying he's lying, but posting with you tone and keep saying the same thing over and over, chosing to believe he's telling the truth with no proof whatsoever makes you look like you're the one with an agenda, not others.

I wasn't aware that Chiton's words were gospel and always correspond 100% to the truth. Not saying he's lying, but posting with you tone and keep saying the same thing over and over, chosing to believe he's telling the truth with no proof whatsoever makes you look like you're the one with an agenda, not others.
    ...I mean, I don't know how much more of an official source you would need than Chilton's word. What exactly would constitute proof to you?

I just reached the gold limit in retail for the first time (never bought it with real money, most of it is by garrison missions and plsying the AH). When I played on Nost, I barely made 1 gold after reaching level 15, and that went gone when I had to buy improved spells and craft some stuff. Pretty crazy that gold difference these days...

...I mean, I don't know how much more of an official source you would need than Chilton's word. What exactly would constitute proof to you?
    He's probably being true, and his version is the same as Nost's version on their report after the meeting.

But this is not "proof that blizzard can't use any of Nost's code". My point is just ppl jump on eachother too easily that they don't even realize that the truth isnt someone's property, specially on a rather intricate suject as this.

He's probably being true, and his version is the same as Nost's version on their report after the meeting.

But this is not "proof that blizzard can't use any of Nost's code". My point is just ppl jump on eachother too easily that they don't even realize that the truth isnt someone's property, specially on a rather intricate suject as this.
    It's not really that intricate. Blizzard has the source code for Vanilla WoW, I don't think there's a universe where they'd use an emulated version of the same game when they can just use the original instead.

You are pointless.
    So now you say it is possible to link Nost code and Blizz code then make them work together but it is not possible to fix the security? Thats strange.
    Can you read? Really? Did i ever say i want a Nost based Blizz server? Its been you people who are saying it is impossible to make Nost code work with Blizz but can't provide any knowledge because you have no knowledge. Stop with your guesses and assumptions cos they are wrong.
    Since you accepted they can somehow work together if wanted, this is no longer an issue.
    Thanks.
    I never said it impossible for them to work together, I said the differences in the code would be too great for them to use it and it would take too much work and cost for them to make them work. And you have said on multiple occasions the you don't care how they do it and why don't they use Nost server. But you still avoid the real issue of security, it is likely because you have no idea how network security works and how easy it would be to hide a backdoor in a 3rd party software.

And Chilton himself said that the differences are not compatible but you don't want to believe it coming from Blizzard.
    Last edited by Chaelexi; 2016-06-17 at 04:37 PM.

Well, that would be an idea, if the Nost team has an skills with the real tools Blizzard uses, and don't need to be trained in them. But that's a minor issue - the main issue is budget. Blizzard can do anything they want, as long as they have a budget for it. And, they've been pretty clear, the work required and the budget needed isn't justified.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerichofr View Post
    You'd do your best to ignore @sabe simply because we have provided proof that Blizzard can not use any of Nost's code in any fashion(straight out of Chilton's mouth), but he glosses right over it because it doesn't suit his pro-Legacy agenda. I don't respond to the troll at all anymore. He's as bad as @Jaylock.
    Yup he's just another in the small line of Nost/Legacy 'fans' that have an agenda and can't have a discussion about the topic because they can't accept what Blizzard has said in the past few months. I've already added him to ignore and won't waste my time further. He can't get the circle jerk he wants in this thread and I'm sure that pisses him off enough.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    I just reached the gold limit in retail for the first time (never bought it with real money, most of it is by garrison missions and plsying the AH). When I played on Nost, I barely made 1 gold after reaching level 15, and that went gone when I had to buy improved spells and craft some stuff. Pretty crazy that gold difference these days...

K? What is your point exactly? I knew ways to make gold in Vanilla and was one of the richest on my server. Hell I left TBC with 8 characters at gold cap and had to have help transferring my gold off when I and 8 of my friends left our server. Gold wouldn't be difficult for me in Vanilla as the methods I used likely still work. But we're talking about gold making on a 10-12 year ago thing compared to now? Totally different situations.

It's not really that intricate. Blizzard has the source code for Vanilla WoW, I don't think there's a universe where they'd use an emulated version of the same game when they can just use the original instead.

They have some of the source code - and it's not just code, it's the databases, too. Everything is stored in a database - a mob's hp, armor, mana, whatever. On top of that, WoW uses live databases, they're changed continuously, in regards to the player databases, and they can tweak the other databases with hotfixes, or do larger changes during maintenance. One example Chilton gave is that Nost looked at Youtube videos and guessed what the HP for mobs were. Blizzard doesn't have that number anymore, because it's not in the code, it's in a database, and that number has been overwritten multiple times since vanilla - like when they changed mob hp and attack power during the Cata revamp. They were'nt saving regular snapshots of the live databases, according to him, and I can guess why, having worked for companies that use live databases for things like sales. So one example - the original database numbers didn't all survive - because back in 2004, who knew they'd need it 11 years later? They were evolving the game - regardless of what some pedants in this thread insist.

And, there's other parts missing, that they may not have, like the stuff lost in the Cata revamp. Or the original databases for vendors, setting prices and items. Or certain spell animations. They probably have a list a mile long of stuff like that they'd have to find a way to reverse engineer to provide a vanilla experience - and that's not including rebuildng the servers to run on modern hardware, and integrate Battle.net. Can it be done? Sure, they think so, but it's a lot of work, and Morhaime and Brack havent given them the green light to attempt it.

Yup he's just another in the small line of Nost/Legacy 'fans' that have an agenda and can't have a discussion about the topic because they can't accept what Blizzard has said in the past few months. I've already added him to ignore and won't waste my time further. He can't get the circle jerk he wants in this thread and I'm sure that pisses him off enough.

- - - Updated - - -

K? What is your point exactly? I knew ways to make gold in Vanilla and was one of the richest on my server. Hell I left TBC with 8 characters at gold cap and had to have help transferring my gold off when I and 8 of my friends left our server. Gold wouldn't be difficult for me in Vanilla as the methods I used likely still work. But we're talking about gold making on a 10-12 year ago thing compared to now? Totally different situations.
    Not all of us are like that SORRY!

Any updates from the Nost team or blizzard here? I know if they do make a move, it won't be quick, but it would be cool if there was some new information.

Not at the moment.

It's a sit and wait situation, but I think the Nostalrius team got some updates to give soon.

Otherwise, waiting for BlizzCon is what some people do, and they hope for some more information to be given there.