Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcsaar View Post
    You think artifact weapons are cool. Fine. That doesn't make them a good idea. Custom-forged weapons would have had the exact same progression, and it would have been far more meaningful and impactful than just using the same artifact as everyone else.

And yes I know you can transmog, by giving people the choice between artifact-looking designed weapons, or some run-of-the-mill transmog from a previous xpac, there really isn't a choice.
    Plenty of people transmog to older versions of weapons now, how will Legion be any different? Since the artwork seems to be what you are hung up on how would a custom forged weapon be any different? Do you expect players to design the art for their own weapons? You seem confused or lost on what the weapons will be and how they could be replaced.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Kalecgos the Spellweaver View Post
    Bleh, so is Ashbringer.
    True, though only in corrupted form and it's not something you can still get. While you can still go to Kharazhan and get it. Also wasn't it just a well made, but still ordinary axe? They'd need something to give it an extra oomph for an artifact. While I wouldn't much care for Gorehowl though, I would have loved SOMETHING orc related at the very least, maybe keep the current arms weapon but make the fury something orc related rather than two vrykul related weapons. I'd rather swap out one of those rather than the arms one and still have two tied to vrykul.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Florena Emberlin View Post
    True, though only in corrupted form and it's not something you can still get. While you can still go to Kharazhan and get it. Also wasn't it just a well made, but still ordinary axe? They'd need something to give it an extra oomph for an artifact. While I wouldn't much care for Gorehowl though, I would have loved SOMETHING orc related at the very least, maybe keep the current arms weapon but make the fury something orc related rather than two vrykul related weapons. I'd rather swap out one of those rather than the arms one and still have two tied to vrykul.
    But I want Gorehowl.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am also disappointed by everyone having the same weapon, which is why I'll just be transmogrifying mine. It's going to be the same as it ever was for me (even if everyone else has the same exact weapon in their mitts.) I think they should've maybe added an option (that you could toggle on/off in the settings) so anyone else who is the same class and spec as you would be holding a randomized bland looking weapon from. (This would be only something you could see, of course, and not them.) Similar to in games like Guild Wars 2 if your computer is terrible, or you have rock bottom video settings, I believe all the other players just look like a low-res polygonal plate armored knight guy. They already have things within WoW that randomize a weapon appearance too, like one of the warlock glyphs to make your doomguard have a random melee weapon, I believe. There may be a warrior one too.

But I want Gorehowl.
    Then go run Kharazhan and transmog it over your arms artifact. =P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Durgtok View Post
    I am also disappointed by everyone having the same weapon, which is why I'll just be transmogrifying mine. It's going to be the same as it ever was for me (even if everyone else has the same exact weapon in their mitts.) I think they should've maybe added an option (that you could toggle on/off in the settings) so anyone else who is the same class and spec as you would be holding a randomized bland looking weapon from. (This would be only something you could see, of course, and not them.) Similar to in games like Guild Wars 2 if your computer is terrible, or you have rock bottom video settings, I believe all the other players just look like a low-res polygonal plate armored knight guy.
    I can understand something like that from a graphical limitation point of view, but writing code to hide the weapons that other people want to display just because a few people don't want to see those same models all over the place seems like too much of a hassle for too little a payoff.

10+ Year Old Account
    But I want Gorehowl.
    Then go to Kara and get it! That's what I'll be using. I'm transmogrifying my stupid phallic sword that's famous for killing trolls into Gorehowl instead.

Deleted
    Then go to Kara and get it! That's what I'll be using. I'm transmogrifying my stupid phallic sword that's famous for killing trolls into Gorehowl instead.
    And @Florena Emberlin

I know Gorehowl exists in the game! I owned one since TBC. I meant as an Artifact with a story!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Florena Emberlin View Post
    I think Axe of Cenarius would've been a much better choice for arms. Arms is a much more horde themed spec, at least in my head. (Fury as well, I guess.) Whenever I think of alliance warriors I just think of Stormwind guards with a sword and shield. (Like a port warrior.) Then all the Orgrimmar grunts are using big axes and stuff. (Like arms warriors.) Even just the fantasy of a barbarian, Blademaster, or berserker, seems much more fitting for horde races. Instead the arms weapon is some wiener shaped sword famous for being wielded by a human and killing a gazillion trolls. Why would a horde player ever want to use something like that?

Axe of Cenarius is much more than a normal weapon. It was forged by Cenarius and Malfurion for Broxigar. It gave Sargerus himself a teensy paper cut. It's made out of wood, but seems indestructible because of the magical enchantments. It's so sharp (also because of magic) that it's said to slice through plate mail and body like they're nothing more than butter. Even though it's famous for being used by an Orc warrior, he fought alongside many huge alliance characters and was great friends with them, so alliance players may still appreciate it. Some people (Blizzard included) say a wooden mature themes axe doesn't seem to for the fantasy of the warrior class, but I say to hell with that.. What are all those extra skins and color schemes for then? Lol

Most people run around with the same weapon models as it is unless they transmog it to an older model.

I'll be blunt, I don't like the idea of artifact weapons. I don't like the idea that everyone is going to be running around with the same weapons. I am aware there are different skins, but not more than 4-6 per weapon.
    No, your logic doesn't add up.

It's hardy gonna be any different from now. You act as if there was this incredible wealth of weapons in the game right now. In reality, everyone's carrying whatever they have access to in the current tier. Which is either the LFR weapon, the different recolors of the raid weapon, the crafted one, the dungeon one or the PvP ones. Or the same old heirlooms. How's that any different? How many people do you see running around with quest greens?

The diversity you're seeing is called Transmog. And that ain't going away in Legion.

What would have been a far better implementation of this system would have been the ability to forge our own new weapon.
    I don't really see how that's supposed to be a a way "better" system. It's just some random idea, one of 12 zillion ideas one could have. I personally wouldn't care about dorking around with hilts and weapon names. It's just your idea, not a better one. I mean I don't really care about artifact weapons either way - the best and most interesting thing about it is the power system behind it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox2042 View Post
    Most people run around with the same weapon models as it is unless they transmog it to an older model.
    MOST? Really? I'd say most people Transmog their weapons, not leave them as is. People love being able to customize anything and everything in games people like to make a unique character in a game with millions of players.

I think Axe of Cenarius would've been a much better choice for arms. Arms is a much more horde themed spec, at least in my head. (Fury as well, I guess.) Whenever I think of alliance warriors I just think of Stormwind guards with a sword and shield. (Like a port warrior.) Then all the Orgrimmar grunts are using big axes and stuff. (Like arms warriors.) Even just the fantasy of a barbarian, Blademaster, or berserker, seems much more fitting for horde races. Instead the arms weapon is some wiener shaped sword famous for being wielded by a human and killing a gazillion trolls. Why would a horde player ever want to use something like that?

Axe of Cenarius is much more than a normal weapon. It was forged by Cenarius and Malfurion for Broxigar. It gave Sargerus himself a teensy paper cut. It's made out of wood, but seems indestructible because of the magical enchantments. It's so sharp (also because of magic) that it's said to slice through plate mail and body like they're nothing more than butter. Even though it's famous for being used by an Orc warrior, he fought alongside many huge alliance characters and was great friends with them, so alliance players may still appreciate it. Some people (Blizzard included) say a wooden mature themes axe doesn't seem to for the fantasy of the warrior class, but I say to hell with that.. What are all those extra skins and color schemes for then? Lol
    Because it's a powerful sword. Same reason a rogue from stormwind would want to use the daggers that killed their king, or a death knight would want to use the reforged pieces of Frostmourne, wielded by the one who made them an undead slave. In the face of the legion, I don't think many warriors are going to go 'eww this sword killed a bunch of trolls a long time ago.'

I agree that Fury leans more orc, and prot more human. But I think arms fits both of them well. Afterall we've had characters like Lothar, and Varian when his swords merged etc. Arms isn't just about brute strength, but also patience and skill with your chosen weapon according to their class fantasy thing. And regardless of the design, I like the story behind the arms artifact. Though it is true a lot of the iconic two handed human fighters were paladins with warhammers.

This probably isn't going to be a popular opinion but I wish Ret got a two handed mace.

Horde

Quote Originally Posted by Magnagarde View Post
    These are all weapons that were the property of extremely big characters in the lore and the weapons themselves have a huge meaning in the story. Having ordinary players wield these is a far-fetched concept that I think is pretty bad. Making these weapons available and that by default is wrong in my opinion. These are the most iconic weapons in the entire Warcraft universe. Each single weapon could've been the end-tier legendary weapon of an entire expansion.

Once you see a hundred Paladin walking around with the Ashbringer, that weapon will lose its charm, its meaning and its importance. I mean, just think about it; thousands of players will wield the sword that shattered Frostmourne. You can transmog it, yes, but that doesn't change the fact that everyone is running around with weapons that have an enormeous reputation, but are recieved by default. These artifact weapons should never have been available to the player. Some of them should've become end-tier raid rewards that have a super low drop chance and should take a long and hard-to-complete questline to obtain(ie Alleria's bow), but the Ashbringer should not have been wielded by anyone else but Tirion. Same applies for Atiesh and so many other weapons.

The story can develop around certain characters that are important, not around every single player. Players should be in the focus, yes, but in the focal point of a storyline dictated by major characters whose storyline we follow and make possible by assisting them. They can make the players stand in the centre of action without having to give them the most iconic items there are in the entire Warcraft universe.

Artifact weapons are pretty much the only thing I dislike about Legion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathquoi View Post
    The player character has defeated Ragnaros (twice), Nefarian (twice), Kel'Thuzad, Illidan, Lady Vashj, Archimonde, Kil'Jaeden, Blackhand, multiple Old Gods, the Lich King, servants of the Titans, and Deathwing. The player character has accomplished more than any lore character.
    I would first like to add that yes the players have achieved more, but in groups. We have always been addressed to as the "HeroeS of Azeroth" NPC characters such as Thrall, Varian, Arthas, The original ashbringer wielder Mograine. All possessed powerful weapons. They all achieved many feats on their own. Mograine killed hundreds of undead for example, solo. Its not really implied anywhere that the "player" achieved something great as a solo entity. Unless I am missing something and I could be wrong.

I see the artifacts in a good and bad light. On the positive side of it. It is super cool that we get to have such powerful weapons. To wield weapons that we were only merely able to look at and admire/dream of for the entirety of the Warcraft universe. HOWEVER, the bad light. If every single person is running around with Ashbringer. It will kill the honor, lore, and reputation of the weapon. Its going to be awesome wielding it until you notice everyone around you wielding the same thing. For veteran players that grew up admiring those weapons. The wow factor will be killed. For example, I remember when I first saw a corrupted ashbringer. I could not stop staring at it and bothering the player who had it. If the corrupted ashbringer was implemented into the game such as these artifacts are. A sword I admired so much will now become something I will not be able to stand looking at if everyone runs around with it. Variations or not. These "Lore Legendary Weapons" really should have stayed unobtainable to preserve the jaw dropping factor of the player whenever you saw them.
    Also, what about the new players? They will join in legion, see Ashbringer, and not even think twice about the true power of this weapon. Because they will see everyone else with it and think nothing of it.

and yes yes I know, What of the War Glaives? Thunderfury? Etc. Sure, now days a lot of people have them since we can just solo the quest lines. But back when those weapons were fresh releases? When you had to put so much time into farming? When you had to earn it? Sure, there were still a multitude of people running around with duplicate legendary weapons. However, Just little enough of them per server to still make you drool over the weapon when another player had it and preserve the quality and respect for such a lengendary. With Legion. Its every single person that has it, max level wise of course.

I am not hating on the artifact idea for legion. I truly think it is a great system that WoW really needs right now. I am excited to try out the talent tree for it and really see what new things it will bring to the game. I just think it could have been done without using an NPC Lore Legendary.
    Last edited by Necroofeelya; 2016-06-17 at 04:54 PM.

Very few of these artifacts are existing lore weapons to wield though. Most have no history or reputation. Ashbringer, doomhammer, the fire mage sword, I guess the frost dk artifact if you consider it Frostmourne 2.0. Most are made up for Legion.

Quote Originally Posted by Necroofeelya View Post

I am not hating on the artifact idea for legion. I truly think it is a great system that WoW really needs right now. I am excited to try out the talent tree for it and really see what new things it will bring to the game. I just think it could have been done without using an NPC Lore Legendary.
    This is a fair point, and I think it might have been better for them to shy away from the most heavily lore entrenched weapons like Doomhammer and Ashbringer and just make up new weapons or use lesser lore weapons like Felo'melorn.
    Beta Club Brosquad

You think artifact weapons are cool. Fine. That doesn't make them a good idea. Custom-forged weapons would have had the exact same progression, and it would have been far more meaningful and impactful than just using the same artifact as everyone else.

And yes I know you can transmog, by giving people the choice between artifact-looking designed weapons, or some run-of-the-mill transmog from a previous xpac, there really isn't a choice.
    This is 100% opinion stated as fact. Things like "far more meaningful" and "run-of-the-mill" or so subjective it hurts. Please stop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by narendal94 View Post
    You can transmog the weapons
    ^ this...

I know I'm definitely going to be transmogging some of my artifact weapons.

Deleted
    170 new artifact models, + 10 years of expansions to transmog them into.

im predicting in the next expansion we will be crafting out own replacement for the artifact, if this system works.

I feel they decided to do it this way because it was a good starting point for such a system to test the system without devoting a ton of art resources to doing custom weapons and creating modular weapon art for the different pieces.

Custom forged is a good idea, but Artifact weapons are part of a new system, you should at least let they see how it will be viewed by players on live.

The same happened to Garrison, they put it, bad feedback, revamped the idea.