Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Yeah...their slices of cheesecake are around 800-1500 calories by themselves though, without the bacon and cake accoutrements. Generally speaking Cheesecake Factory is known for their huge portion sizes so you know what you're in for if you decide to stop in.

That pictured burger and fries from Red Robin did not look so unreasonably portioned however, based on the image; I never would have guessed that it was a 3500 calorie meal just by looking at it.
    I worked at Cheesecake Factory for a while. Their sizes are HUGE! But part of that is because they prided themselves on not advertising in the way that places like TGI Fridays and Apple Bees does. They want people walking around malls or whatever with a cheesecake factory take out bag. So they encourage you to bring home left overs. They like the idea of free advertising via work of mouth, or by people seeing the bag.

I very rarely finish my meal when I eat there. Even their lunch portions, I will eat half for lunch, and the other half for dinner, or vice versa.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

You can theoretically lose weight while eating McDonald's, there was a professor that did an experiment awhile back but I can't recall his name.

A HS science teacher lost 56 pounds eating McDonald's every day, but I think he balanced his diet with other things.

http://www.today.com/health/man-lose...ths-2D79329158
    You just walk everywhere... like everywhere... get a pair of good earphones. Listen to podcasts. Plan your route a little and just walk...

Really the problem with McDonalds are the portion sizes, I don't think McDonalds is healthy but you won't gain weight if you stop in for a regular-sized cheeseburger and small fries now and then.

Big Mac + large fries = no bueno.
    Cheeseburger is by far worse than one big mac. You need couple of them, and that's going way over what one big mac has.

Also, that's only 800-900 kcal there. I wouldn't call it bad as far as calories go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    I worked at Cheesecake Factory for a while. Their sizes are HUGE! But part of that is because they prided themselves on not advertising in the way that places like TGI Fridays and Apple Bees does. They want people walking around malls or whatever with a cheesecake factory take out bag. So they encourage you to bring home left overs. They like the idea of free advertising via work of mouth, or by people seeing the bag.

I very rarely finish my meal when I eat there. Even their lunch portions, I will eat half for lunch, and the other half for dinner, or vice versa.
    During undergrad, one of the first restaurants I worked at was Grand Lux Cafe in Chicago on Michigan avenue, before I moved on to fine dining...same company and basically the same food, lol.

And yes, the portion sizes are insane. The restaurant was huge though so we definitely burned off the calories from our meals, largest restaurant floor plan in the city and we'd average 10 miles of walking in our required food run shifts (according to our pedometers).

Also @ Nixx I think that image in the article was wrong, this is what comes up when I Google search Cheesecake Factory Peanut Butter Chocolate Cake Cheesecake.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Cheeseburger is by far worse than one big mac. You need couple of them, and that's going way over what one big mac has.

Also, that's only 800-900 kcal there. I wouldn't call it bad as far as calories go.
    Didn't someone say that calories weren't what we should worry about?

10+ Year Old Account
    During undergrad, one of the first restaurants I worked at was Grand Lux Cafe in Chicago on Michigan avenue, before I moved on to fine dining...same company and basically the same food, lol.

And yes, the portion sizes are insane. The restaurant was huge though so we definitely burned off the calories from our meals, largest restaurant floor plan in the city and we'd average 10 miles of walking in our required food run shifts (according to our pedometers).
    When I was working as a server, for those 7 years I was in the best shape of my life! You aren't kidding about the mileage. I wish I had a pedometer back then so I could really know how many miles a day I walked.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    It's hard to gauge how large and greasy it is from the picture. I've only eaten at Red Robin like one time and that was years ago, so I'm not terribly familiar with their food. From the description, I believe it may also include the fries and a shake.
    We'd go there for the unlimited fries, when I was in high school

Weird, I wonder why they included the calories in the shake...

"A vomitorium is a passage situated below or behind a tier of seats in an amphitheatre or a stadium, through which big crowds can exit rapidly at the end of a performance. They can also be pathways for actors to enter and leave stage.[1] The Latin word vomitorium, plural vomitoria, derives from the verb vomō, vomere, "to spew forth". In ancient Roman architecture, vomitoria were designed to provide rapid egress for large crowds at amphitheatres and stadiums, as they do in modern sports stadiums and large theatres.[2]"
    So you're saying that, in some ways, we're more decadent than the roman empire?

(Also, thanks for the cool info.)

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I went and did some digging. Yeah, the burger is only about 1,000 calories by itself.

http://time.com/3063615/behold-the-u...in-restaurant/

The figure they provided is the entire meal. The default preparation of the burger is only 1,366 calories.
    That's still a pretty hefty burger. Really the bottomless fries are the dangerous part of the meal, you could easily eat a whole day's worth of calories based on the fries alone.

These calorie estimates are all over the place, don't these journalists use food labs for caloric testing?

- - - Updated - - -

When I was working as a server, for those 7 years I was in the best shape of my life! You aren't kidding about the mileage. I wish I had a pedometer back then so I could really know how many miles a day I walked.
    Yeah, I loved waiting tables during college, was great for keeping in shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Except that this method isn't very efficient, and likely not healthy either.
    You don't really fight a health problem with another health problem.

You need a correct healthy amount of nutrients and micro nutrients. Two small salads will likely not do that.
    And secondly if you only eat twice a day small amounts your body adjusts and your metabolism slows down dramatically.

Instead, get a healthy diet that provides you all the needed nutrients, and spread the food intake out into 6 - 8 small amounts over a day.
    Don't exceed 2000 calories total. Don't go much lower either.
    This keeps your metabolism up, and you'll lose weight faster than with the 2 salads method.
    With the latter 2 salad method you'll gain weight like crazy once you're done losing it, and switch back to normal.

And last but not least, move your ass. Don't even have to so sports, just move. Walk a couple or three miles.
    Yes, I know, it was just an exaggerated example, not an actual proposal for a diet. I meant to point out that even though something is simple, it's not necessarily easy. Some people on this forum seem to confuse those two, and seem to be unaware that people are struggling with controlling their needs.
    Mother pus bucket!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tankbug View Post
    Yes, I know, it was just an exaggerated example, not an actual proposal for a diet. I meant to point out that even though something is simple, it's not necessarily easy. Some people on this forum seem to confuse those two, and seem to be unaware that people are struggling with controlling their needs.
    Don't underestimate the simpletons.
    You say something, they take it as canon
    Next we know some idiot engages in an unhealthy diet, because they read it here. lol
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

This is the most insane thing I have ever heard of. Good grief -- there are no shortcuts. Just like you didn't put the weight on overnight, you will not lose it overnight. If you want to lose weight and keep it off, you have to commit to a permanent lifestyle change, including cutting back on the amount of food intake and exercise. It does not mean you can never have an occasional "slip", i.e., pizza night out, sweet day, but after you "slip," you have to get back on track. The pizza, ice cream and candy will always be here. I would NEVER subject my body to a contraption like this. Disgusting.