The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Why do you think the Reapers don't have FTL drives?
    Don't be obtuse. I was asking about specific FTL which you dubbed as Reaper FTL implying it is faster?
    We already established the purpose to check on the expedition that was sent during the war. To let them know that peace now exists. To explore.
    Which is already their mission, so why tell them again? Especially considering the fact that it will take hundreds of years to reach them. Who would volunteer for the telegram mission? To abandon their lives behind without the threat of Reapers that the original expedition faced?
    The technological advancement comes from now being at peace with the Reapers. Having access to their technology and millions of years of stored knowledge.
    Again, it will take YEARS (decades really) to apply it in any viable capacity.
    You also don't seem to understand how travel in mass effect works. If reapers can travel 30x faster then everyone else then even years later will still get a new expedition their faster or shortly after the first.
    What NEW expedition? Why do they need NEW expedition? Why would they send it using 30x times faster FTL (if it exists) do you realize they will arrive faster and will have to wait HUNDREDS of years for the original expedition? Some mission - fly to Andromeda and die before the first expedition arrives. Or what waste the time in stasis, why the faster FTL then? And who would volunteer for such an insane mission?
    The crucible also took enormous leaps in scientific knowledge to develop.
    No it didn't, as Hackett put it - it was quite simple in design technologically simple and very easy to built hence why they even started building it.
    They those theories and discoveries translates over into civilization as a whole.
    What theories and discoveries?
    And if you honestly believe that an entire galaxy can only build mass relays then you have biggest issues at hand then some of the other things you continually ignore. Logistics isn't a concern.
    What entire galaxy? Entire Milky Way galaxy haven't even been explored yet, because races were contained in the Mass Relay Transit net.
    And there's a clear limit to the manpower that can do the job. Not every sentient being have the qualifications. Hence the logistics. Repair Mass relays or build new ships for new expedition which is clearly NOT needed at all.

If I was in charge back in Milky Way I wouldn't send a second expedition to Andromeda at all even if I had resources. Even if I knew about it to begin with.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Don't be obtuse. I was asking about specific FTL which you dubbed as Reaper FTL implying it is faster?
    I know you have played the game. The Reapers can travel at FTL faster then anyone else in the Milky Way at the time of the war. I am not implying that Reaper FTL is faster, it is faster. The game says it.
    Which is already their mission, so why tell them again? Especially considering the fact that it will take hundreds of years to reach them. Who would volunteer for the telegram mission? To abandon their lives behind without the threat of Reapers that the original expedition faced?
    Who said you would tell the first expedition what their original mission was? People do long shot missions all the time. Why do you think people are signing up to be sent to mars in the real world? Perhaps family left behind in the first one want to be reunited? Perhaps new technology is being sent to help them out. Just because there is no threat from Reapers doesn't mean people still don't want to go somewhere else. There is more then one reason to explore another galaxy then fear of extinction. You still cling to a theory that you've yet to provide reliable arguments for why it is plausible.

Again, it will take YEARS (decades really) to apply it in any viable capacity.
    Why? The galaxy was not sent into slow motion just because their are no more reapers.

What NEW expedition? Why do they need NEW expedition? Why would they send it using 30x times faster FTL (if it exists) do you realize they will arrive faster and will have to wait HUNDREDS of years for the original expedition? Some mission - fly to Andromeda and die before the first expedition arrives. Or what waste the time in stasis, why the faster FTL then? And who would volunteer for such an insane mission?
    Because they can? Because they can help out the first one that was sent with inferior technology and limited supplies. So they first expedition doesn't have to think they are all that is left of their species. They could act as seeds to prepare Andromeda for their first one. They could stay in stasis until the first one arrives. Their are plenty of reasons why they could sent another force to Andromeda. There is only one reason why they never could, "Because Elim Garak says so".

No it didn't, as Hackett put it - it was quite simple in design technologically simple and very easy to built hence why they even started building it.
    Thankfully you are not a galactically renowned scientist in the Mass effect universe. http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Mor...#Mass_Effect_3 Read the e-mail from Mordin. Complex, Technology evolution are words used to describe the project. It wasn't simple in its design. They didn't even know what it would do when completed.

What theories and discoveries?
    So they galaxy learned nothing new while building and using the Crucible? Why did they need the prothean and previous cycles plans then if they knew everything already?
    What entire galaxy? Entire Milky Way galaxy haven't even been explored yet, because races were contained in the Mass Relay Transit net.
    And there's a clear limit to the manpower that can do the job. Not every sentient being have the qualifications. Hence the logistics. Repair Mass relays or build new ships for new expedition which is clearly NOT needed at all.
    See this is what happens when you have no argument. You argue semantics. Salarians, Humans, Turians, Krogans, Asari and all of the other galactic civilizations are what you stated can't do more then rebuild the relays because of logistics. You are honestly arguing that the galactic civilization can't do more then one complex task at the same time. Lets assume you are correct. You've defeated your earlier arguments that the Andromeda expedition was sent during the Reaper war.

If they are limited on logistics post-war then they certainly were during the war. Which means they couldn't have fought off the Reapers, built the crucible, and built state of the art ships to go to Andromeda. Remember they different species were not even fight a united front. Yet they were supposed to have logistics then that they can't have after the Reapers.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

10+ Year Old Account
    You guys are so cute. What actually ends up happening will probably be far more simple than what you guys are making this out to be. You guys do remember all the speculating that surrounded ME3s ending and how that eventually turned out, right?

A few questions I'd like answered would be:

How many new species are there going to be?
    We're far from the Milky Way, does anyone speak common out here?
    Are all Asari gonna look weird like the one in the trailer?
    Will Jennifer Hale be voicing some character(s) in this game, cause I totally have a crush on her?
    What will be the day 1 DLC this time?
    Why did someone punch Ryder in the nose before freezing her?

You know, the important questions :P

10+ Year Old Account
    I know you have played the game. The Reapers can travel at FTL faster then anyone else in the Milky Way at the time of the war. I am not implying that Reaper FTL is faster, it is faster. The game says it.
    Oh it is faster but not THAT faster as you claim.

Who said you would tell the first expedition what their original mission was?
    Bioware

Why? The galaxy was not sent into slow motion just because their are no more reapers.
    What slow motion? What are you even talking about? Technology takes time to get applied, that's just how it works. Especially technology that you are reverse engineering and not inventing yourself.

Because they can?
    Not a good reason

Thankfully you are not a galactically renowned scientist in the Mass effect universe. http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Mor...#Mass_Effect_3 Read the e-mail from Mordin. Complex, Technology evolution are words used to describe the project. It wasn't simple in its design. They didn't even know what it would do when completed.
    That's because it was iterated on many times by different species in different circles. And we know what it was. A power source.

So they galaxy learned nothing new while building and using the Crucible? Why did they need the prothean and previous cycles plans then if they knew everything already?
    What did they learn? How to build gigantic power sources that only work when connected to Citadel which just releases the energy in 1 of 3 ways with dramatic result for the Mass Relayed portion of the galaxy?

See this is what happens when you have no argument. You argue semantics. Salarians, Humans, Turians, Krogans, Asari and all of the other galactic civilizations are what you stated can't do more then rebuild the relays because of logistics. You are honestly arguing that the galactic civilization can't do more then one complex task at the same time. Lets assume you are correct. You've defeated your earlier arguments that the Andromeda expedition was sent during the Reaper war.
    What one task at a time? What kind of strawman are you building here? just because you chose Mass Relays repairs as an example doesn't mean it's the only task, it's quite a small task compared to what I was talking about. And I was talking about REBUILDING FUCKING PLANETS. Helping people. You know, MORE pressing concerns. There are plenty of tasks for all professions.
    If they are limited on logistics post-war then they certainly were during the war. Which means they couldn't have fought off the Reapers, built the crucible, and built state of the art ships to go to Andromeda.
    What the actual fuck?

Their entire focus was CRUCIBLE, all the human fleets were guarding it. And they didn't fought off Reapers at all. They were actually raped by Reapers at every turn. The Shepard's quest was gathering survivors to support for Crucible and building the fleet for the decisive battle in which Crucible to be used. All resources were dedicated to that task. Everything useful - went to Crucible project and fleets.
    Remember they different species were not even fight a united front. Yet they were supposed to have logistics then that they can't have after the Reapers.
    They were losing because of that. Because of logistics. When everyone fights for themselves - you lose. You lack logistics. Uniting them all improved logistics. e.g. Turians get Krogans, Humans get Turian fleet. Shepard got military supplies, refugees got medicine. The whole game was about logistics. And all for a single task.

But that's not what I meant when I talked about logistics. Logistics are based on priorities. If you have to chose where to direct resources - to new extra-galactic expedition that nobody needs nor wants or to rebuilding Earth - what would you chose? Why would you split resources and suffer a slowdown in rebuilding Earth? just WHY? How would you justify that to the public? And the same goes for EVERY race.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Plus, it's a video game. It's a hypothetical "what if" with more people being sent that way for a second batch. It doesn't become a writing constraint unless bioware specifically chooses to have more people being sent over.
    I wouldn't have too much hope in writing regardless if i were you, considering they hired Sam "I was virtually raped" Maggs to be a part of the writing, despite her never having done any fiction writing, or writing at all except blogging.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xekus View Post
    I wouldn't have too much hope in writing regardless if i were you, considering they hired Sam "I was virtually raped" Maggs to be a part of the writing, despite her never having done any fiction writing, or writing at all except blogging.
    Can't be much worse than siege of dragonspear which was largely written by a hack, and I managed to tolerate even that cause gameplay was entertaining.

I have no high expectations on writing either way in the first place, I'm fully aware it won't be any planescape torment being made. Currently expecting DA:I levels of sanitized writing, but that's just fine with me if the gameplay is fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, how I missed us turning into super nerds.

Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    I am aware, I was talking about the First Cycle, when they had no Relays and no Reapers. How did they travel/win that one?
    http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Citadel
    The Citadel was not, in fact, constructed by the Protheans; they were simply the last race to make use of the station before the asari arrived. It, and the mass relays, are the creations of the Reapers, and were built to help facilitate their cycle of galactic genocide.
    http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Leviathan
    The Intelligence's betrayal of its creators was sudden and devastating. Its pawns slaughtered most of the Leviathans, using their genetic material to create the very first Reaper, Harbinger, who was physically designed after the Leviathans themselves. The surviving Leviathans went into hiding, while the Intelligence used Harbinger to begin the cyclical harvest of the galaxy's species to create more Reapers, all in an effort to solve the problem of preserving life.
    The Leviathans did have hyperspace travel as well.
    Last edited by nekobaka; 2016-06-18 at 04:51 AM.

Well ok but how? Leviathan aren't machines like reapers. How'd they fly?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    Well ok but how? Leviathan aren't machines like reapers. How'd they fly?
    I would assume they entered some sort of flying contraption.

We are not fully informed on the anatomy of the Leviathans. Given their size and resemblance to the reapers, they might posses biological means to travel through Hyperspace. Or they had space ships like the above poster said.

10+ Year Old Account
    Could also be that they aren't as big as they are portrayed to be. Unless they developed out of an Oceanic environment. Titanic life isn't very sustainable anywhere else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nazrark View Post
    Could also be that they aren't as big as they are portrayed to be. Unless they developed out of an Oceanic environment. Titanic life isn't very sustainable anywhere else.
    I think it was mentioned in the codex that they developed in the oceans and used thralls to operate on the surface and in cosmos. How exactly they traveled between planets is everybody's guess. My assumption is that they genetically engineered themselves to be able to naturally generate mass effect fields around themselves, making them essentially weightless for limited amounts of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    The same wiki says they were into cybernetics...

10+ Year Old Account
    The same wiki says they were into cybernetics...
    The wiki is mostly written by players, when it uses wording like "it is possible" and "they might", it's pure speculation.

10+ Year Old Account
    What is that mythical technology? And why would you go to Andromeda, again? For what purpose?
    Why would we go to Mars? Why would we go to the Moon?

Because humans are an inquisitive lot and like to explore.

And possibly as sort of an "ark ship" to save the species from the Reapers.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Humans innate curiosity will be the downfall of us.

Basically the reason the Citadel races were afraid of humanity was out ambition and our curiosity into any field of study.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Why would we go to Mars? Why would we go to the Moon?

Because humans are an inquisitive lot and like to explore.

And possibly as sort of an "ark ship" to save the species from the Reapers.
    Er.. this argument is about another Andromeda expedition to check up on the first one.

Deleted
    That trailer makes my pants wet though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nazrark View Post
    Humans innate curiosity will be the downfall of us.

Basically the reason the Citadel races were afraid of humanity was out ambition and our curiosity into any field of study.
    A species too dumb and confident for its own good.

Resident Cosplay Progressive