Page 16 of 33 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    Just because someone doesn't know what they're talking about, doesn't make it a part of culture. That's not how a culture works.

I already covered the unreported part. Why can't you understand that? 0.2% of the population is all sexual assaults and rapes, if the reported rate was increased by 100%. I gave you an overblown figure to wave around as your reported rape figure.

I'm saying, that if you increased the reported rape figure by 100%, it's still only 0.2% of the population.

Can I word that in any way, that a mighty teacher of statistics such as yourself may understand?
    You changed the number completely at random, so it's entirely invalid, and for like the 10th time I'm also talking about unreported rapes. Your source didn't look at that at all so I prefer the CDC source, which did. I'm not going to to over the numbers again because I've posted them at least twice and they also aren't my point. You've taken me away from my original point by making the conversation about statistics. I'm done with this for now since we're just talking in circles.

Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    That's actually precisely how culture works and theirs a host of cultural icons who know absolutely nothing but have entered the zeitgeist. In any event when people talk about rape culture it's condoning or marganlizing rape. Perfect example being the earlier poster who said rape is just sex you didn't want to have as opposed to the violation that it actually is.
    It's not the norm. Rape is marginalized, because it effects a tiny percentage of the population.

The average person does not think rape is a good or positive thing in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by Huulo View Post
    You changed the number completely at random, so it's entirely invalid, and for like the 10th time I'm also talking about unreported rapes. Your source didn't look at that at all so I prefer the CDC source, which did. I'm not going to to over the numbers again because I've posted them at least twice and they also aren't my point. You've taken me away from my original point by making the conversation about statistics. I'm done with this for now since we're just talking in circles.
    My. Source. Was. Actual. Reported. Rapes. The numbers were not random. It is a recorded, factual figure.

You said around 50~60% go unreported. So I increased the reported number by 100%.

I made the number of reports larger than the estimates you quoted.

Guess what? It's 0.2% of the population.

Can you understand that?

Quote Originally Posted by dragonvalor View Post
    I hear this spouted a lot online but still don't really know what it is... Is it an attempt to say in modern times rape isn't considered horrible and is somehow considered acceptable? I honestly don't know
    It's the "shark week" of gender issues.

10+ Year Old Account
    So I increased the reported number by 100%.
    Yeah, but that did not come up with a number they liked, so can you add another couple of zeros on the end please?

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Yeah, but that did not come up with a number they liked, so can you add another couple of zeros on the end please?
    I think we need to tie it into that other thread:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...e-too-low-quot

Stanford students complain that rape stats are too low

Stanford University faculty and students are sparring over their school’s sexual assault statistics, saying the low numbers are a product of a faulty definition of abuse rather than an actual absence of a problem.

As it stands, Stanford’s current “ Campus Climate Survey” reports that only 1.9 percent of male and female students were sexually assaulted when the survey was last administered
    It's the new angle on the argument from what I can see.

Quote Originally Posted by gyrados View Post
    basically its a word created by feminazis
    Don't say that word, there's one in the thread already, post #2, now you will get infracted for such oppressive, offensive language to our female overlords.

Deleted
    First, yes it is. As long of as the sample is of sufficiently large size, it doesn't matter how large the population is relative to the sample. I teach statistic btw.
    Yeah that is not what you said.
    the size of the sample
    relative to the size of the population
    does not affect it's accuracy.
    Which is fundamentally absurd - because this would permit me to ask one person, extrapolate to any population, and have the same accuracy.
    Thus If you teach statistics, You clearly need to resign.

- - - Updated - - -

If this were true than anyone who was acquitted of a crime could seek damages for false arrest and imprisonment. Most cannot because they are required to prove themselves innocent first, which an acquittal does not do.
    because the arrest order was valid - Even if incontrovertible evidence were to emerge, it would still not be wrongful imprisonment.
    Now if a person could invalidate an arrest order, they could do that (like if there was prosecutorial misconduct).
    Last edited by mmocfd561176b9; 2016-06-17 at 09:34 PM.

Deleted
    The point is that when rape occurs, many people (for the last time, not juries) try to call it not-rape.
    And in a non trivial percentage of the cases, It wasn't rape.
    They blame alcohol, promiscuity, or other factors, even in light of contradictory facts.
    No, they rightly point out that some things make an accusation harder to believe, like alcohol, prior promiscuity, or other factors - Its called reasonable doubt.
    because it literally just happened in the Brock Turner case
    He was convicted - What is your problem?
    This is not a feminist conspiracy
    Yes it is.

No.

This is an example of something that rhymes with grape vulture.
    No that's called best medical practice.

Your source didn't look at that at all so I prefer the CDC source, which did.
    Mythbusters quote seems relevant here. "I REJECT your reality and substitute MY OWN"

Deleted
    I imagine of you went to a hospital and asked the nurses who've dealt with rape victims it might be a different story.
    You do know most rape victims don't go to hospitals?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    People generally don't go to nearly the same lengths to rationalize it away or victim blame when it comes to other crimes.
    because stealing something is not legal - Having sex is.
    That is to say, The crime is harder to prove, because it delineates a subset of legal acts into illegal acts - There is no 'Gray area' with theft -

Rape culture is everything a feminist takes offence to.

"you stared at me. omg you are raping me!" for instance.
    I was a Death's Demise.
    Those were the good old days.

Deleted
    rape is just sex you didn't want to have as opposed to the violation that it actually is.
    No, he didn't say all rape were that - But there are cases where that is the case.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post
    You do know most rape victims don't go to hospitals?

- - - Updated - - -

because stealing something is not legal - Having sex is.
    That is to say, The crime is harder to prove, because it delineates a subset of legal acts into illegal acts - There is no 'Gray area' with theft -
    Sadly no most don't having said that my point stands. The nurses who've taken care of those rape victims would likely disagree. sex WITHOUT CONSENT is a crime. Specifically the crime of rape.
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabka Uhalla View Post
    Don't say that word, there's one in the thread already, post #2, now you will get infracted for such oppressive, offensive language to our female overlords.
    lol idgaf they have no power over me
    mr pickles

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's funny how the worlds sexes are becoming more alike. But feminists, who are supposedly there to improve the balance, differentiate the sexes.
    Sad. Lucky though, Feminists aren't many. They're only loud. Most women aren't like this, and that's a good thing.

Deleted
    Sadly no most don't having said that my point stands.
    Gods - What was said, is that making a bigger deal of it, hurts the psychological healing process - This is medical fact -
    The nurses who've taken care of those rape victims would likely disagree.
    Yeah, because those who need medical attention after their rapes, have a greater fucking trauma than those who don't - Your subset is not representative.
    sex WITHOUT CONSENT is a crime. Specifically the crime of rape.
    And this had absolutely nothing to do with what was said.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    Like I said, that would be a "victim-blaming culture", not a "rape culture".

Other crimes are irrelevant. The accused is innocent until proven guilty. Period.

Except that it's not. Rape requires two things: Penetration and lack of consent. A "fondle" is not rape. Neither is giving consent while being tipsy. Something can't be indicative of a "culture" of something it's not.

Sounds to me like a "Subjective Offense" culture. Whether or not much of that stuff is "unwanted" is based on whether or not the "victim" likes the "aggressor". What applies to a hot chic/guy has to apply equally to an ugly chic/guy or it's inherently invalid. That's why in many situations, employers for example, it is forbidden universally. This is usually called "sexual harassment". You can apply "culture" to that if you want, though it still wouldn't be one because it's not generally accepted behavior.

It's not about loopholes and excuses. It's about the fact that the phrase "sexual act" is too subjective. One may deem a pat on the ass as a "sexual act" but it's certainly not rape. It's starting to sound like you're defending the aforementioned crazy feminists who think anything a man does is rape.

Well, "rape culture" would be a generalized belief that rape is acceptable behavior.
    What does the presumption of innocence have to do with whether the victim of a rape is treated different than a victim of theft or robbery? The presumption is the same in all those cases. The difference I'm talking about is how the victim is treated in a rape case as opposed to other victim crimes. Also, consider a scenario where a person is actually found guilty by a jury of rape. The victim can still be blamed for placing themselves in that position, which isn't something we do for other crimes very often.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakain View Post
    What does the presumption of innocence have to do with whether the victim of a rape is treated different than a victim of theft or robbery? The presumption is the same in all those cases. The difference I'm talking about is how the victim is treated in a rape case as opposed to other victim crimes. Also, consider a scenario where a person is actually found guilty by a jury of rape. The victim can still be blamed for placing themselves in that position, which isn't something we do for other crimes very often.
    I'm perplexed this needs to be explained.
    Because Theft is not legal, whereas sex is.
    That is to say, Its a perfectly valid defence for rape so say that the putative victim consented.
    Which necessitates a different treatment.
    The victim can still be blamed for placing themselves in that position, which isn't something we do for other crimes very often.
    Yes we do - If i don't lock my door, its not Breaking and entering its just trespass - the former being a felony, the latter is not - My insurance company also has opinions.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakain View Post
    What part of "that would be a victim-blaming culture" did you not understand? Are there people that tend to question the validity of alleged rape victim's claim? Of course there are. No one's denying that. I'm merely clarifying that a "rape culture" would be identified not by how the victim is treated but rather how rape itself is viewed in general.

But to your point, I'd venture to say that more often than not, the mere assumption of innocence on the part of the accused is automatically assumed to be an attack on the character of the victim, giving more credence to the notion of a "culture of victim blaming" when the cases of actual victim-blaming are probably on par with other crimes. And with the "personal" nature of rape, those cases get a quite a bit more media coverage so seem to be more prominent than they actually are.

It's not the norm. Rape is marginalized, because it effects a tiny percentage of the population.

The average person does not think rape is a good or positive thing in any way.

My. Source. Was. Actual. Reported. Rapes. The numbers were not random. It is a recorded, factual figure.

You said around 50~60% go unreported. So I increased the reported number by 100%.

I made the number of reports larger than the estimates you quoted.

Guess what? It's 0.2% of the population.

Can you understand that?
    I never once said that. I've reported the actual data on the matter, not just the reported rapes but the unreported ones too (I am baffled that I've needed to say this so many times). Have you ever once sited data (besides that 0.2% figure that you admit you made up) about all rape cases?