Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    When people mention autism they think of Dustin Hoffman in Rainman.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    In before Autism isn't a disease so how can it be cured?
    A lot of people believe ageing, and death due to it, is a disease...

/shrug

Quote Originally Posted by Vayshan View Post
    This!

The brain in people with autism is basically wired differently and processes information differently than in a neurotypical person. Autistic people can perceive and experience the outside world very differently. So unless that "cure" can rewire and rebuild the brain... it's BS.

EDIT: Medication can mitigate some of the trouble autistic people have (with non-autistic people), but the issues will remain and are just dulled. I myself have overly sensitive hearing and sense of touch (among many other things) as a result of my autism. I get meds who "sedate" those impulses to some degree, but those are never without (heavy) side effects.
    Actually it's been proven that the brain can rewire itself. Get rid of the problem, the brain can heal itself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Interesting. Considering just how many bacteria we have in our body, there's no doubt it might help with different things. Although curing autism seems a bit strong.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
    Actually it's been proven that the brain can rewire itself. Get rid of the problem, the brain can heal itself.
    Not to this degree and autism is not damage so what is there to heal? The rewiring happens when you suffer brain damage and the brain tries to make new connections to get the disconnected areas to work again. This is not the case with autism. As a side note, a lot of miss informed people think autism is all bad, but there are also things which are improved in an autistic brain. Though this differs for each person and type of autism.
    Last edited by Vayshan; 2016-06-17 at 10:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    I think we should ban Anime anyway, go overkill!

You realize anime is far more socially acceptable than World of Warcraft....

Quote Originally Posted by nofuku View Post
    You realize anime is far more socially acceptable than World of Warcraft....
    Maybe in Japan you fucking weeb.

Infracted for flaming
    Last edited by Jester Joe; 2016-06-17 at 11:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bassfu View Post
    No.... everywhere. Don't lie to yourself. Tell one hot woman anywhere you play World of Warcraft. Tell a different hot woman you watch anime.

Notice the expression changes.

Too many people play this game and think they are not doing anything nerdy. Not to mention more hot girls are into anime than this game...
    Last edited by nofuku; 2016-06-17 at 10:58 PM.

This!

The brain in people with autism is basically wired differently and processes information differently than in a neurotypical person. Autistic people can perceive and experience the outside world very differently. So unless that "cure" can rewire and rebuild the brain... it's BS.

EDIT: Medication can mitigate some of the trouble autistic people have (with non-autistic people), but the issues will remain and are just dulled. I myself have overly sensitive hearing and sense of touch (among many other things) as a result of my autism. I get meds who "sedate" those impulses to some degree, but those are never without (heavy) side effects.
    I have autism, however, I don't take medications.

Quote Originally Posted by bassfu View Post
    iirc Japan hates anime beacuse it makes them look like total fags.

Not to this degree and autism is not damage so what is there to heal? The rewiring happens when you suffer brain damage and the brain tries to make new connections to get the disconnected areas to work again. This is not the case with autism. As a side note, a lot of miss informed people think autism is all bad, but there are also things which are improved in an autistic brain. Though this differs for each person and type of autism.
    To be fair, when I said heal I wasn't specifically referring to autism, rather schizophrenia or alzheimers. You could possibly make new connections in the brain, ofc over time, which would be more in line with those not in the autism spectrum

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    I have autism, however, I don't take medications.
    Entirely personal choice. I tried 2 years of therapy to get a grip on things that are otherwise very limiting in the "normal" world. It didn't help so now I take meds to cope with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    This will not cure autism in most cases. It can reverse strange behavior in a mouse model - that's it. One of the major driving factors behind autistic behavior isn't dysbiosis (again in most cases; in some cases it most certainly is). Rather, it's antisocial behavior that parents encourage by sticking their kids in from of screens instead of interacting with them during critical periods of development.

I'm a huge fan of all things microbiome, and I think dysbiosis is behind tons of different ailments from heart disease to obesity and even autism in limited circumstances. But this study is at best an investigational premise. Humans react very differently to the so-called 'high fat diet' than mice do. I've collaborated with labs that use this diet in order to provide evidence for fat-induced pathogenesis, and it's really frustrating to see fellow scientists take the translation from mice to humans for granted. High fat diets do not cause obesity in humans. Why should they cause autism in humans?

I've been diagnosed with autism by my coworkers.

I do have many of the classic symptoms so they're probably right.

Scientists recently did a science experiment where they stimulated some regions of the brain with electricity restoring them to full function. The autistic patient experienced empathy for the first time. He said it was overwhelming.

I'm sure you can find it with google. They interviewed the patient on All Things Considered, NPR radio.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    iirc Japan hates anime beacuse it makes them look like total fags.
    Talking about anime in real life anywhere is far more socially acceptable than saying you play World of Warcraft. You just don't fucking talk about that. The only people that do are cargo wearers who spend 23 hours a day convincing themselves "it's cool because I have a minimum wage job and have a (ugly) girlfriend".

I hope they make it into a vaccine.

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    But autism isn't some disease, when you have autism, quite literally you're brain looks and functions differently than the average brain.

It's equivalent to saying that scientists have discovered a cure for dwarfism.
    There's a large chunk of things that are considered autism. You're right, this certainly wouldn't have much of an effect on people with higher brain iron levels and irregular neuron clusters. But it could be effective for helping people who just have the weird social disadvantages that get grouped together with autism for some dumb ass reason. But then again, so does booze.

Quote Originally Posted by nofuku View Post
    Talking about anime in real life anywhere is far more socially acceptable than saying you play World of Warcraft. You just don't fucking talk about that. The only people that do are cargo wearers who spend 23 hours a day convincing themselves "it's cool because I have a minimum wage job and have a (ugly) girlfriend".
    Whatever you say weeb.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    I hope they make it into a vaccine.
    I hope they make it into a bomb.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I've been diagnosed with autism by my coworkers.

I do have many of the classic symptoms so they're probably right.

Scientists recently did a science experiment where they stimulated some regions of the brain with electricity restoring them to full function. The autistic patient experienced empathy for the first time. He said it was overwhelming.

I'm sure you can find it with google. They interviewed the patient on All Things Considered, NPR radio.
    So they stimulated the region for empathy because it wasn't working as intended. Other regions are working overtime 24/7. The experiment didn't prove anything other than electrical stimulation makes parts of the brain work. It might be a "cure" for a psychopath who experiences no empathy at all. Not sure what this proves directly related to autism. I have empathy, but I just don't feel to act on it, as I do with nearly all my emotions. They don't cause me to react to them, but I do experience them.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortan Rich View Post
    Here I thought you were going to suggest banning anime.
    I love you, senpai.