Page 41 of 77 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    You'd think Videocardz.com would get a cease and desist from AMD or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    You'd think Videocardz.com would get a cease and desist from AMD or something.
    Not if there are not under NDA.

10+ Year Old Account
    More than that, I wonder how videocardz even has any credibility left after pretty much everything under the sun was posted.

http://wccftech.com/amd-rx-480-1500m...ltage-control/

AMD is launching a new overclocking tool for the RX 400 series with voltage control, oh and the RX 480 is capable of 1.5Ghz+ clock speeds. You heard that right folks! We got a good one for you today. We shared the impressive performance figures for AMD’s reference designed RX 480 4GB & 8GB cards just a couple of days ago, both of which came out ahead of the R9 Nano & GTX 980. It’s about time we dove into the overclocking aspect of the red team’s latest Radeon graphics card retailing on the 29th of June.
    Looks like AMD are actively aiming for a 20% overclockability head-target. I approve.

Wonder how long after the 29th we will have to wait for aftermarket designs, ill never buy a blower cooler card. I havent owned an AMD card since 2008ish, is sapphire still the top partner for them?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Wonder how long after the 29th we will have to wait for aftermarket designs, ill never buy a blower cooler card. I havent owned an AMD card since 2008ish, is sapphire still the top partner for them?
    I think they'll be available at launch. We've seen leaks of multiple OEMs already including XFX, PowerColor and Sapphire.

- - - Updated - - -

This guy is an AMD employee, social media and this kind of thing but still an employee:

Taken from AMD's discord channel

That's why they're being so cautious with this release, leaking information beforehand could perhaps make Nvidia release a 1060Ti that's close to RX480 pricing and outperforms it. They can sell cards at a loss if it means negating AMD's market share increase, makes sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    http://wccftech.com/amd-rx-480-1500m...ltage-control/

Looks like AMD are actively aiming for a 20% overclockability head-target. I approve.
    If AMD supplies an overclocking tool with voltage control, that would be amazing. Overclocking without voltage control is... good luck with that. Very often I end up flashing the BIOS on the video card to overclock. Not exactly the safest thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    I think they'll be available at launch. We've seen leaks of multiple OEMs already including XFX, PowerColor and Sapphire.

- - - Updated - - -

This guy is an AMD employee, social media and this kind of thing but still an employee:

Taken from AMD's discord channel

That's why they're being so cautious with this release, leaking information beforehand could perhaps make Nvidia release a 1060Ti that's close to RX480 pricing and outperforms it. They can sell cards at a loss if it means negating AMD's market share increase, makes sense.
    I like the 980Ti'd comment. Nvidia took the TitanX and made it into a 980 Ti, as a drastic move to dominate over AMD. I don't think Nvidia has anything they could use to make a 1060 Ti. Most likely Nvidia will overclock the shit out of the 1060, and give it 8GB of memory for $230. As long as Nvidia is near GTX 980 performance, they won't have issues selling it. But if Nvidia is sticking with 128-bit memory bus, I can see them having issues. After all, the RX 460 is going to be 128-bit.

I predict Nvidia being stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Quote Originally Posted by Stompe View Post
    So when do we get AMD card that will be on par with 1080?
    Vega 10 is rumored to be releasing in Oct. Should be the 490/490X which should stack up to the 1080.

Quote Originally Posted by Stompe View Post
    So when do we get AMD card that will be on par with 1080?
    Some rumors said October. If those turn out not to be true then Q1 2017.

Cross Fire 480 results - Holy. F**kng. Shit.

Dual GPU scaling is way better in synthetic benchmarks than in real gaming. It's still nice.. But 80% will probably never happen in any game.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Dual GPU scaling is way better in synthetic benchmarks than in real gaming. It's still nice.. But 80% will probably never happen in any game.
    Probably not, for the price difference though it's great, like £150 cheaper than a 1080 for 2x 480's.

Quote Originally Posted by Turaska View Post
    Probably not, for the price difference though it's great, like £150 cheaper than a 1080 for 2x 480's.
    If you are only upgrading video card and not entire system, it could possibly require a new motherboard as well, since not all motherboard support crossfire, negating the difference. In a new build it's worth considering, if you want to deal with the hassle of Crossfire and the fact that some games will not support it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    If you are only upgrading video card and not entire system, it could possibly require a new motherboard as well, since not all motherboard support crossfire, negating the difference. In a new build it's worth considering, if you want to deal with the hassle of Crossfire and the fact that some games will not support it.
    Thankfully when I made this system in 2014 I kept in mind future upgrades, its still a decent motherboard, supports up to 3-way SLI 3-way Xfire, my PSU will support 2x 480's too, so literally just a case of buying them and sorting out the crossfire.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    If the motherboard has more than 1 PCI-E 16x slots, it supports Crossfire. I have yet to see one that doesn't.

Real performance of CF will probably be on par with 1070 in most games, so why not go single card? Don't get me wrong, RX480 seems like an awesome card and I'll probably get one, but building a system around SLI/CF is (still) not realistic.
    Last edited by Sorshen; 2016-06-17 at 11:32 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    If the motherboard has more than 1 PCI-E 16x slots, it supports Crossfire. I have yet to see one that doesn't.
    Yeah, but in some cases the second slot is only 4x. Which is not ideal for CF.

You are better of looking for an SLI ready mobo, because those support 8x/8x.

Really tempted to get two RX480s (and my nearly-six-year old board still can do x16/x16 - or even x16/x8/x8). I'd rather not miss out on the Next Big Thing™, but I really want a new GPU (and possibly CPU/etc, depending on performance of new GPUs in my current setup) for some big games like Deus Ex Mankind Divided, No Man's Sky, Legion, ReCore, Dishonored 2, and so on.

DX12 adoption is going to increase next year with Microsoft's cross-platform initiative/multi-play and One S/Scorpio in the near future. CF is only going to improve with DX12, and it doesn't seem like picking up the 1080 is a smart choice (I'd love to get one - and could do so tomorrow - but it really seems like the dumb option at this point). Not just because of what AMD has to offer, but what the Nvidia cards apparently don't.

I won't buy another GeForce FX card. I just won't.
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FlawlessSoul View Post
    I won't buy another GeForce FX card. I just won't.
    I'm not really sure how you can equate the two, the GeForce FX was late, underperformed, ran hot and overclocked really poorly. None of which describes the GeForce 1080.