Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vayshan View Post
    Lol just stop talking xD You're one of those ignorant sheeple who think autism is just social awkwardness? You are SO wrong! It's just one of the most common VISIBLE aspects of it. Just like someone with Tourettes always swears all the time, not true! Someone with OCD always flips the light switch on/off 20 times, not true! They are "symptoms" that can be present, but are not guaranteed to be nor does their absence mean anything.
    Sigh. Stop being so combative. I never stated that it's just 'social awkwardness'. As I posted earlier in this thread, there's emerging evidence that screen time at a young age contributes to the development of autism by preventing/replacing the correct development of social skills. Which makes sense when you think about it for half a second - human children need tons of human interaction in order to develop into fully functional adults. You take even some of that away, you get a different result.

There are many contributing factors, but a greater depth of social activity at a young age is a damn good place to start. And by young - I mean before the emergence of autistic behaviors.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    I saw it as more of a joke because of that stupid "vaccines cause autism" lie that 1 doctor spread around.
    Ahh. I get it. Went right over my head.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    A lot of people who have poor social skills for one reason or another will often self diagnose themselves with autism when all they have is a lack of success socially.

Inability to make eye contact is a classic symptom of autism though it's not the only symptom.
    Exactly. Self diagnosis is often not encouraged due to the lack of knowledge on the subject. If my finger hurts it doesn't mean it's broken, it might just have a paper cut. Not the best example perhaps, physical injury is piss easy to diagnose compared to psychological.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's a reasonable synopsis of the links between screen time and the development of autism in children. Read the paper the synopsis cites if you're interested in looking at the actual science, because this is basically a blog post:

http://movingtolearn.ca/2015/prevent...than-you-think

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    The vaccine is already available. It's called socializing your kids.
    That's not how autism works.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    That's not how autism works.
    Oh? I wasn't aware that we knew exactly how and why autism develops.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    Sigh. Stop being so combative. I never stated that it's just 'social awkwardness'. As I posted earlier in this thread, there's emerging evidence that screen time at a young age contributes to the development of autism by preventing/replacing the correct development of social skills. Which makes sense when you think about it for half a second - human children need tons of human interaction in order to develop into fully functional adults. You take even some of that away, you get a different result.

There are many contributing factors, but a greater depth of social activity at a young age is a damn good place to start. And by young - I mean before the emergence of autistic behaviors.

- - - Updated - - -

Ahh. I get it. Went right over my head.
    Then I apologize for my zealous reaction, but I've heard/read that so often it just enrages me. Diagnosing autism on the grounds of social interaction is not the best way to go about it, specially at young ages. But today children are being watched and judged in the most ridiculous of ways. My autistic behavior was present at a very young age, but it only started to make more sense the older I got. I did things differently in a very particular way, but the link with autism was considered to be too far reaching at that time. Getting such a diagnosis can do more harm than good if it's the wrong one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ealyssa View Post
    wow is just another game. You hating it means shit for normal people.
    Dude, you are a dumbass. Normal people are the ones that look down on it- not me.

Infracted for flaming

Repeating yourself a lot is another symptom, that's why I believe Athecat when he says he's autistic.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Vayshan View Post
    Lol just stop talking xD You're one of those ignorant sheeple who think autism is just social awkwardness? You are SO wrong! It's just one of the most common VISIBLE aspects of it. Just like someone with Tourettes always swears all the time, not true! Someone with OCD always flips the light switch on/off 20 times, not true! They are "symptoms" that can be present, but are not guaranteed to be nor does their absence mean anything.
    At least it's nice to see someone (you) that actually knows what he/she is talking about in regards to Autism. The "normies" being willfully ignorant and shaming of people that have a diagnosis, using autism as an insult when someone behaves badly or likes something they don't, are pathetic.

The biggest part of my Autism, is the sensory problems. Light, sounds, smells, textures, touch, balance. There are parts to my diagnosis that I actually don't mind as well.

It was clear from a VERY young age, that I had these problems. Only experts wrote it off as me being a "problem child", "stubborn" and "clumsy". I was born with it. It didn't come from vaccines or lack of social interaction or any other external factor that people blame.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2016-06-18 at 12:02 AM.

Have either of you been professionally diagnosed? What number are you on the scale?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Repeating yourself a lot is another symptom, that's why I believe Athecat when he says he's autistic.
    It's mainly the hyperfocus, that's why I make like 100 threads on the same things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    At least it's nice to see someone (you) that actually knows what he/she is talking about in regards to Autism. The "normies" being willfully ignorant and shaming of people that have a diagnosis, using autism as an insult when someone behaves badly or likes something they don't, are pathetic.

The biggest part of my Autism, is the sensory problems. Light, sounds, smells, textures, touch, balance. There are parts to my diagnosis that I actually don't mind as well.

It was clear from a VERY young age, that I had these problems. Only experts wrote it off as me being a "problem child", "stubborn" and "clumsy". I was born with it. It didn't come from vaccines or lack of social interaction or any other external factor that people blame.
    More or less this,

I have most of those problems. I don't know to what degree but I do sympathize highly, because I suffer from it to.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    My sides were completely obliterated by the first line holy shit.

Well I did read that there was data suggesting that processed foods can play a role with autism and what you eat does change the fauna in your gut so maybe they are onto something. But what works on mice doesn't always work on humans.
    I may not agree with what you say but I will fight to the death to defend your right to say it.

Have either of you been professionally diagnosed? What number are you on the scale?
    I was diagnosed as a young child with aspergers when aspergers was still a thing. I was in and still am in autism programs.

Scientists discover that gut microbes can have an effect on autism even reversing it.

My gut tells me that when people start talking about the most recent fad curing everything it's probably not true. Still it would be nice if we could cure autism.
    I figured it out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post

Apparently he wasn't being serious. Rather sarcastic, but hey... autism and sarcasm hardly ever mix xD.

Indeed, it's not all bad. Sometimes hard to handle or cope with in environments which overstimulate the senses too much or where social interaction is a requirement. I don't consider my ability to hyper focus for HOURS on end a bad thing, works great for certain jobs or when you need a lot of work done.

Yes, as an adult. And I was given my diagnosis before the scale, so my official diagnosis is Aspergers Syndrome.

LOL

This is a really good quiz http://psychcentral.com/cgi-bin/autismquiz.cgi

0-29 means no autism

30-33 means possible autism

34+ autism

i got 10

10+ Year Old Account
    I have been. I was given Aspergers, but with lots of bits of classic autism and high functioning autism. Aspergers took the cake so that's the stamp they gave me. Been in therapy for almost 5 years now, to "fit in" just enough so I can handle life on my own without the constant need for a psychiatrist or psychologist.

It's actually heavily discussed that during a section the baby does not get exposed to any microbes in contrast to a normal vaginal birth.
    some suggest to create a minimal cocktail for the baby from the mother's.. cocktail, but that's well, all still in development.