Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

What GPU to get with a 200 budget in ~3 months?

Title basically says it all. With all the new GPUs coming out now, what GPU would be the best one to get for a maximum of 200 euro in about 3 months? Looking for something similar to the GTX 970 in performance. Country is Netherlands, but for price reference UK or Germany are fine too.

What is it 12 days to go until the rx 480 comes out?,

The 470 to follow suit, wait for benchmarks, wait for reviews and there you go, sorted

You have to ask yourself what you want out of the GPU. If you just want something to play games on and you don't care about specific features or power efficiency, then just grab the best performance:dollar option here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...rchy,4388.html

It might be a difficult read, but it's basically ranking all GPUs in terms of performance, so if you currently have a GPU on this list you can see where a newer GPU ranks in comparison, then using pricing to pick the best card for your $$. Unfortunately, I live in the US so I don't know how things are priced compared to your currency, but I know that your usage case is going to matter when picking cards. AMD has yet to release their current gen lineup, they have announced the 480 thus far and touted it as a budget card ($200 US) and discussed it as the future of 'entry level VR.' So if that's something you might be interested in the future, I'd consider a newer option from AMD if that falls into your budget.

Nvidia, on the other hand, has just released their two flagship cards in the new line, complete with competitive gaming features such as Ansel and a new Vram architecture (GDDR5x in the 1080). Considering these are the expensive gaming cards, I would suggest waiting for the 1060/1050 to release before making a choice on what to buy if Ansel is something you're interested in. Ansel is designed to leverage Nvidia GPUs in a way that allows for dynamic screen shot captures by moving the camera to any point in the shot with 360 degree control. Of course, you could buy a 960 right now for $200 and still get access to the new Nvidia software features.

Shadow play is nice for streaming.

R480 from AMD. Period. Wait for it. At $200 it will be an unbelievable value. Buying a card at this moment is one of the worst possible times to buy a video. Wait till mid-July

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    R480 from AMD. Period. Wait for it. At $200 it will be an unbelievable value. Buying a card at this moment is one of the worst possible times to buy a video. Wait till mid-July
    If prices were set in stone, you'd be correct. Supply/demand is a different beast altogether, often putting brand new cards well above the announced price point during the first weeks/months of availability. By the time the 480 comes to market, it might be well above the $200 price point.

Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    If prices were set in stone, you'd be correct. Supply/demand is a different beast altogether, often putting brand new cards well above the announced price point during the first weeks/months of availability. By the time the 480 comes to market, it might be well above the $200 price point.
    Historically true but mostly for Nvidia. Plus, despite its stellar performance the $200 price point is key to it;s marketing so reference designs will be available at that price.

We'll see but I highy doubt the card will be much more than 200$ and if it is prices will drop back down fairly quick. The whole point of the RX 480 is is competitive price point and performance. If it's much more expensive on launch you should just buy a 1070 at the MSRP price. Plus if you can't afford a 1070 or a 1080 you should buy a RX 480 ALWAYS. The market currently favors AMD significantly in that case, alot of people don't need the power of the 1070/1080 and they can save money and buy the RX 480 which is more than good enough and gives a solid upgrade path later.

Point of that wall of text is, yes wait for the RX 480.

Deleted
    while the 480 is a good recommendation, it won't cost €200 in the netherlands. even the reference 4gb one will be like 215 orso. 8gb aftermarket one you are probably looking at at around €250.

$200 = €177. €177 + 21% BTW/VAT = €215

470 will fit the budget. and in 3 months i wouldn't be surprised if nvidia had the 1050/60 releasing or at least announced.
    Last edited by mmoc982b0e8df8; 2016-06-18 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    while the 480 is a good recommendation, it won't cost €200 in the netherlands. even the reference 4gb one will be like 215 orso. 8gb aftermarket one you are probably looking at at around €250.

$200 = €177. €177 + 21% BTW/VAT = €215

470 will fit the budget. and in 3 months i wouldn't be surprised if nvidia had the 1050/60 releasing or at least announced.
    by that logic a GTX1080 should be 750 € but they are 799€ min and even rising due to poor supply.

Better hope AMD has more cards available then Nvidia or it might get expensive and/or rare.

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post

Better hope AMD has more cards available then Nvidia or it might get expensive and/or rare.
    From all the rumors, suppliers have had lots of 480s in stock for 2 weeks already. So the hope is there at least.

Deleted
    Not to mention that we are talking about 3 months from now, not at release.

As others have mentioned.

Depends where you live and what Nvidia will do with the 1060.

200$ on 480 sounds dandy but 8GB model + euro+ anything = easy 250-300e price on the good aftermarket ones in Europe.

Therefor its gonna be the same as 1060 price wise in Europe since the scaling is about the same -usually- , they start off 220 and reach 300-320.

So you need to ask that in 2-3 months again

Deleted
    Thanks for all the advice. I'll look into the RX 480. I can probably spare a few more euros than 200. The 1060 also seems likely to be a decent deal. Shadowplay makes nvidea slightly more interesting. One catch with these new cards: the person who this card is for doesn't have a hdmi screen yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Cyonis View Post
    Thanks for all the advice. I'll look into the RX 480. I can probably spare a few more euros than 200. The 1060 also seems likely to be a decent deal. Shadowplay makes nvidea slightly more interesting. One catch with these new cards: the person who this card is for doesn't have a hdmi screen yet...
    1060 isn't out yet nor does it have a release date if im right.

Also hdmi is a display connector. I believe you mean he doesnt have an HD monitor. Which is kinds scary 720p and 1080 are considered(HD)
    Last edited by Mythbredor; 2016-06-19 at 03:26 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythbredor View Post
    1060 isn't out yet nor does it have a release date if im right.

Also hdmi is a display connector. I believe you mean he doesnt have an HD monitor. Which is kinds scary 720p and 1080 are considered(HD)
    it's not that strange for monitors to not have hdmi or displayport. one of my 1080p screens from 2009 only has dvi and vga for example. chances are at least someone will put dvi on their cards.
    Last edited by mmoc982b0e8df8; 2016-06-19 at 04:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    it's not that strange for monitors to not have hdmi or displayport. one of my 1080p screens from 2009 only has dvi and vga for example. chances are at least someone will put dvi on their cards.
    You can go display port to VGA Or DVI via an adapter. And i thought he meant he had an older 480p monitor.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythbredor View Post
    You can go display port to VGA Or DVI via an adapter. And i thought he meant he had an older 480p monitor.
    No, it's an older 1080p. Didn't think of adapter, that will work if the card only has hdmi. I'm going to keep an eye on the new Nvidia cards coming out and the 480, thanks!

HDMI is a strange beast, for sure. It has a license fee/royalty associated with it, so it's not going to find it's way into every single device. Display port, however, is license free and becoming the standard. Dual link DVI is capable of the same bandwidth as HDMI, it's just a bigger connector. VGA loses picture clarity at higher resolutions, so your pixels might be fuzzy if you buy a new card and adapt from HDMI to VGA. I would make sure you have at least Dual Link DVI on your monitor (it should be the case, if it's 1080p) and not a single link DVI, because at that point it's probably better to invest in a new monitor before you get a better video card. It could honestly be your monitor making your games look worse, not your GPU.

Deleted
    I'd look on ebay for a good condition 970, people will be trading up for 1070/1080. make sure you ask questions but as long as they aren't a smoker it should be in decent condition.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pathetic View Post
    I'd look on ebay for a good condition 970, people will be trading up for 1070/1080. make sure you ask questions but as long as they aren't a smoker it should be in decent condition.
    I'm not stranger to buying used products but it's always a gamble where you either win big or lose everything so heavy research is often the name of the game. I'm not sure if it's still an issue but most manufacturers won't honor the warranty if you buy a used product that's already been registered to someone else or can't supply the invoice. XFX has a double lifetime warranty which covers this but that's the only one that's still around which I can think of since BFG went under in 2010.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.