Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    I think many of us got the advice from their parents to:
    a) Do your best in school and get a degree
    b) Get a degree in something you like

With the current academic inflation (especially Bachelor degrees), the possibility you stack up huge student-loans and the increasing demand in work experience over a degree, what would you advice your children?

Would you advice they get a degree in what they like? Or a degree in what is in demand? Or maybe not even to get a degree at all and get as much work experience as possible asap?
    Quite frankly, I think that this is the person's decision. My opinion should have no weight over what my hypothetical children want to do in life. All I can do is to support him through his/her decision - after all, that's my job as a parent.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

I would encourage them to work hard and do what they want with their lives.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

In the fields I've studied a degree doesn't matter if you have no work experience. The jobs I've netted have purely been based off of what I've done as work previously. I haven't even once showed my degrees to any employee because they haven't simply asked for them.

I wouldn't prevent them from getting a degree, not at all, but I'd advise to try and get some experience within their field of interest before going for one at full-time. Best is to work and study part-time and try net some internships.

Quote Originally Posted by Tronald Dump View Post
    There are many people who don't have a degree but still making money. My friend is an self taught artist, making pretty good money yet she never had a degree in art.
    While you're not going to become a doctor without one, there are jobs that don't require a degree if they can see your skill is execptional enough.

I think all parents should encourage their children to get one, but If my son wanted to become an artist and is serious enough about it and I can actually see he's doing really well, I'm not going to push him into academics just because I think that's what he should be doing.
    Chances of you getting anywhere without a degree are slim at best where I live. I'm sure you can make it if you're lucky or really good but heck, even factory workers needs an education these days.

Education is free though or tax funded so it's not like it's going to ruin anyone in Sweden.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    I'd encourage them to get a degree in something they like and can provide them with comfortable living.
    I had The Talk with my younger daughter about this.

"Kid, if you want a doctorate, get an MD not a PhD. The market is much better."

And being of like mind about money (and liking the clinical setting), she agreed!
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    I think many of us got the advice from their parents to:
    a) Do your best in school and get a degree
    b) Get a degree in something you like

With the current academic inflation (especially Bachelor degrees), the possibility you stack up huge student-loans and the increasing demand in work experience over a degree, what would you advice your children?

Would you advice they get a degree in what they like? Or a degree in what is in demand? Or maybe not even to get a degree at all and get as much work experience as possible asap?
    They would have to be getting a real degree to get my assistance. They can learn basket weaving on their own time.

I will encourage my daughter to do something that makes her happy AND can make a living off of.

If you enjoy something and can't make a living, that's a hobby not a career.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    They would have to be getting a real degree to get my assistance. They can learn basket weaving on their own time.

"What do you mean I can't make a decent living with my womans studies degree?"

- My sister

Deleted
    Yes, of course.

Without a proper education you don't get far nowadays.

I would encourage them to do what they wanted, and would educate them on their options. I would never push my own experiences on them and would try to encourage a college education.

I hated school with a passion and didn't have the motivation to pursue a skill for the next four to eight years of my life. I'm currently a middle class citizen making a decent living ($14/hr 48hr/wk) and I have no debt. I do not think I'm lazy as I spend a lot of my time running. I just do not find college appealing to me. From the way a lot of people are talking, there is a huge disrespect for the middle class. Who's going to put your cars together for you, and make your cloths?

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    I will encourage my daughter to do something that makes her happy AND can make a living off of.

If you enjoy something and can't make a living, that's a hobby not a career.

- - - Updated - - -

"What do you mean I can't make a decent living with my womans studies degree?"

- My sister
    Yeah, unless you plan on teaching Women's Studies, there isn't really a viable use of that knowledge. Besides, if any men ever figure women out, they will just change anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    Yes, of course.

Without a proper education you don't get far nowadays.
    There's factories out there that pay really good money. We need people to work in them. You don't have to have a degree to be successful.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Everyone getting a degree in what they like is why we have so many young people working jobs outside of their degree with 5-6 figure debt.

There's millions of jobs that are absolutely necessary and don't require a degree from a major university. Look at those first.

If you have to choose something else and go to college, make sure it's something that honestly requires that level of education. For example, doctor or lawyer. Don't be stupid and pay 50k for a degree in poetry or gender studies. The number of decent jobs that exist for those kinds of degrees is very tiny. The only reason you should ever pay for a degree in something like that is if you have a guaranteed job waiting for you. Strong, dependable connections through your family or the like.

Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    Everyone getting a degree in what they like is why we have so many young people working jobs outside of their degree with 5-6 figure debt.

There's millions of jobs that are absolutely necessary and don't require a degree from a major university. Look at those first.

If you have to choose something else and go to college, make sure it's something that honestly requires that level of education. For example, doctor or lawyer. Don't be stupid and pay 50k for a degree in poetry or gender studies. The number of decent jobs that exist for those kinds of degrees is very tiny. The only reason you should ever pay for a degree in something like that is if you have a guaranteed job waiting for you. Strong, dependable connections through your family or the like.
    Agreed. We need to get more people into skilled trade jobs. Construction, plumbers, factory workers. I've read that we're coming up on a shortage of people becoming Butchers. None of these require any college.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

A college degree is worth it, so I would encourage her and strongly voice my disagreement if she wanted a degree that doesn't make money (arts, literature, liberal arts, social studies, etc). Aside from the education you get the college experience is worth it and this is coming from someone who got their degree while working full time. I hated high school but loved college it felt like going from a pond to the open sea.

Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    There's a glut of lawyers in the US now. Do not go into law expecting good job prospects unless you are got into one of the very top law schools.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    Yeah, unless you plan on teaching Women's Studies, there isn't really a viable use of that knowledge. Besides, if any men ever figure women out, they will just change anyway.
    She wants to work at a womans shelter, which is nice and all, but that requires a social work degree, preferably a masters. Not a Ba in Womens studies.

OH well, hopefully she grows out of this feminist phase.

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    She wants to work at a womans shelter, which is nice and all, but that requires a social work degree, preferably a masters. Not a Ba in Womens studies.

OH well, hopefully she grows out of this feminist phase.
    Well, if she wants to waste money, social work is a good outlet too. You can get a Phd and still make less than 50k in that field.

Yes assuming they plan on degree in medicine or IT, anything else is waste of time and they are better off finding a job

Nope - Currently at University and it's the biggest waste of time. While I've learned a lot and gained a lot of knowledge, the rate at which I've done so falls short of what an apprenticeship could offer. Of course some careers need it, but in general if you're wanting to excel in most careers a Degree isn't going to help. Your portfolio & experience is.

Quote Originally Posted by Einsz View Post
    Yes assuming they plan on degree in medicine or IT, anything else is waste of time and they are better off finding a job
    And even in IT, I'd suggest spending four years doing serious hacking (of the good kind) could be a better way to spend your time. Fill in details with online courses.