Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    You can.
    Do eet!
    Should I though, or would you recommend I just buy a W10 key?

Plus, heatsinks make it taller, cutting down on your selection for CPU heatsinks... you know, a heatsink that's ACTUALLY a necessity.
    Do I actually need to buy a GPU heatsink or do they usually come with them?

AIOs = a bunch of noise, btw, OP.
    No idea what that is.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think he meant CL15, which means CAS Latency 15, the amount of, I believe nanoseconds, it takes the memory to talk to the CPU. Don't worry *too* much about this.
    Actually it's the amount of cycles it takes to access RAM. Higher frequency decreases the time between each cycle so it's not really clear cut. It's a combination of both ram frequency and CL for lower 'latency' in ns.
    http://images.anandtech.com/doci/948...%20Latency.png

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    lots of talk about fractal cases here. Anyone have some opinions on define r5 vs define s? nobody has recommended the s so far, despite it being cheaper, does it have some problems i'm not seeing?

it's 25% cheaper then the r5 where i live, and it seems to me to be the same case but without optical/drive bays/fancy door that you don't need and/or remove anyways. the r5 has a more convenient bottom dust filter and i think has a fan controller, but is that worth $20-30 on a budget? is the r5 significantly cooler or quieter to make it worth more?
    Yes, it's essentially a stripped down R5 as far as I know. Noise wise it should be about the same. If you have no need for any of the additional stuff on R5, then go for S. I like the additional stuff, that and S didn't exist back then >.>

Alright here's what I got so far:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/n9tGXH
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/n9tGXH/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg) (ALREADY PURCHASED!)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ NCIX US) (still unsure on the heatsink)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($159.99 @ B&H)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($69.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($79.99 @ Adorama)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.49 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.49 @ OutletPC)
    Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($113.98 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 OEM 64-bit ($199.89 @ OutletPC) (may or may not be upgraded to Win 10. I also already own a Win 7 key, so that price is moot)

Total: ~$863+ (I'm buying nearly everything from Amazon for convenience, except the case which isn't on there, so the total price will be slightly more expensive)

Obs missing a GPU, but I need to wait on that. So, how's this list look? Am I missing anything? (besides the GPU) Everything's in both Newegg and Amazon carts waiting for a second opinion before I drop $800 on this stuff.

PS: Also buying an GTX 750 Ti from MSI through Newegg to bump my old computer back to working standards (should be better than the dead 560 Ti in it, plus it's got an HDMI port for the family room!).
    Last edited by Polarthief; 2016-06-18 at 09:20 PM.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    Should I though, or would you recommend I just buy a W10 key?

Do I actually need to buy a GPU heatsink or do they usually come with them?

No idea what that is.
    If you want to keep your Windows 7 key, then buy a 10 key. This is potentially good for having two rigs. However, you can also upgrade the older rig to 10 and buy a new 10 key, as well.

All good GPUs come with heatsinks. It's pictured!

AIO = All-in-one, so what I meant by that is the AIO liquid coolers, Corsair has the majority market share in these. :P They're loud though.

Alright here's what I got so far:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/n9tGXH
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/n9tGXH/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg) (ALREADY PURCHASED!)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ NCIX US) (still unsure on the heatsink)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($159.99 @ B&H)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($69.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($79.99 @ Adorama)
    Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($113.98 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 OEM 64-bit ($199.89 @ OutletPC) (may or may not be upgraded to Win 10. I also already own a Win 7 key, so that price is moot)

Total: ~$863+ (I'm buying nearly everything from Amazon for convenience, except the case which isn't on there, so the total price will be slightly more expensive)

Obs missing a GPU, but I need to wait on that. So, how's this list look? Am I missing anything? (besides the GPU) Everything's in both Newegg and Amazon carts waiting for a second opinion before I drop $800 on this stuff.

PS: Also buying an GTX 750 Ti from MSI through Newegg to bump my old computer back to working standards (should be better than the dead 560 Ti in it, plus it's got an HDMI port for the family room!).
    $200 for Home Premium?! HOLY CRAP. You should only need to, potentially, buy one Windows key, so around $80-100.

Looks good to me, otherwise!
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

$200 for Home Premium?! HOLY CRAP. You should only need to, potentially, buy one Windows key, so around $80-100.
    It's already been bought 5 years ago though so it's technically $0! Thankfully 5-years-ago-me was smart enough to put the product key on my case

Though I have no idea where the CD is... >.>

Deleted
    PSU get the Supernova G2 you wanted to at the start, there is no better PSU and I think its warranty is 7 years, that speaks for itself. 550W for a single GPU system and 650 for SLI/Crossfire.

Storage is cheaper to get 1 2TB instead.

SSDs, I honestly say if you're not getting SanDisk, you shouldn't get anything that isn't Samsung EVO series. SanDisk is unrivaled and what makes Samsung EVO so good is the tools and utility that comes with it, as well as they modify their controller, its not the typical rubbish one. EVO 850 is renowned for its longevity and performance.

Memory Sticks;
    Because Crucial makes them, doesn't mean they are good at making the memory itself.
    SeaSonic makes PCB's for PSUs, yet they rarely if ever have the best PSU on the market. Current the SuperNOVA G2 by EVGA is the best PSU on the market. The only drawback it has is the 5VSB rail, which is essentially something you only use when your computer is turned off.

Dude, pay someone 50 bucks to overclock that cpu to 4.5 if you can't do it, the difference is extremely noticeable, especially in wow. You bought a K series which intel unlocked to be overclocked...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenho View Post
    Dude, pay someone 50 bucks to overclock that cpu to 4.5 if you can't do it, the difference is extremely noticeable, especially in wow. You bought a K series which intel unlocked to be overclocked...
    Yup. Using that exact cpu and I have it OCd to 4.1. I could go higher but I'm comfortable with where it's at. Using a Corsair H80i liquid cooler with it.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenho View Post
    I'm just worried about cooling and whatnot if I mess it up :\ Also having to pay for a better cooler and (possibly) PSU(?).

I'm not opposed to it, just worried/paranoid as per my usual MO.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm just worried about cooling and whatnot if I mess it up :\
    It really takes little effort. This is the first time I've ever overclocked a cpu. Motherboards these days make it so easy. Just throw on a good cooler and you're gold. That PURE ROCK cooler you have listed earlier is a solid one.

Quote Originally Posted by Greevir View Post
    It really takes little effort. This is the first time I've ever overclocked a cpu. Motherboards these days make it so easy. Just throw on a good cooler and you're gold. That PURE ROCK cooler you have listed earlier is a solid one.
    Solid enough to OC it to a decent amount? Or should I go for a more powerful one?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangman View Post
    PSU get the Supernova G2 you wanted to at the start, there is no better PSU and I think its warranty is 7 years, that speaks for itself. 550W for a single GPU system and 650 for SLI/Crossfire.

Storage is cheaper to get 1 2TB instead.

SSDs, I honestly say if you're not getting SanDisk, you shouldn't get anything that isn't Samsung EVO series. SanDisk is unrivaled and what makes Samsung EVO so good is the tools and utility that comes with it, as well as they modify their controller, its not the typical rubbish one. EVO 850 is renowned for its longevity and performance.

Memory Sticks;
    Because Crucial makes them, doesn't mean they are good at making the memory itself.
    SeaSonic makes PCB's for PSUs, yet they rarely if ever have the best PSU on the market. Current the SuperNOVA G2 by EVGA is the best PSU on the market. The only drawback it has is the 5VSB rail, which is essentially something you only use when your computer is turned off.
    Please ignore this person who is typing drivel.

Point 1:
    The Supernova G2 is built by Superflower, which isn't bad but Seasonic is better, if not THE best, PSU builder on the market.
    His knowledge on wattages, whilst in this case correct, is also based upon guesses.
    Now since I know you're going for either an RX 480 or a GTX 1070 based upon your previous thread the PSU you chose is fantastic and is better than the SuperNova G2 series the guy I quoted suggested.

Point 2:
    His point is somewhat valid on storage, but I assume you decided on 2 x 1TB Blue for the RPM amount and price?
    Only other option with 7200RPM in WD is the Black or Red Pro/RE X editions.

Point 3:
    SanDisk is not horrible but it is no match against Intel, Crucial or Samsung.
    Whilst he does suggest the 850 EVO, which is fine, the EVO is not renowned for it's longevity, performance yes but not longevity.
    The Crucial MX200 you selected... thumbs up for that one, THOSE are renowned for their longevity.

Point 4:
    Because Crucial DOES make them ENTIRELY in-house it means they WILL have a superior QA to others such as Corsair.
    Crucial has always been at the forefront of quality and compatibility and in the eventuality that something screws up their customer service is fantastic.

And whilst the following is anecdotal I do feel the need that in the long time I've been using Crucial/Micron (same company) and SeaSonic for a VERY long time I've only had _1_ Crucial SSD die on me which was replaced in 1 day, the amount of RAM and SSDs I've used from Crucial/Micron is not possible for me to account and to say I've never had a broken Crucial/Micron RAM stick is not an exaggeration where I can recant you horror stories from Corsair's XMS line and the earlier Dominator lines to make you question them period.
    SeaSonic PSUs (OEM or Retail versions) I've only seen fail once with an M12II EVO (520W) where the PSU was probably shorting out internally with some of the modular PSU connectors.

SeaSonic is regarded by many professionals as one of the, if not THE best, producers of power supplies on the market... and they've been here for a very long time.

Regarding the rest of your build OP:
    You have a solid build, if you're unsure of the Heatsink a Cryorig H7 is also possible.
    If you want something beefier you can also go with the Cryorig H5 Universal/Ultimate.
    Both are perfect contenders with the one you selected where the Cryorig is a better performer and the Be Quiet! is slightly more silent.
    Neither of which you will hear in a Fractal Design Define R5 as that is a beauty of a case and most deffo outperforms both Corsair and NZXT in case quality.

This last bit is not an opinion, it is an actual fact as having built more than I care to count in all of those brands I can tell you that without so much as a doubt.
    The only thing that I do not like about the Fractal Design Define R5 is how cheap the GP-14 fans feel, they aren't bad but ugh ... they feel like cheap Chinese plastic.

Wait until July to build your comp. New cards just came out, let the prices settle.

AIO = All-in-one, so what I meant by that is the AIO liquid coolers, Corsair has the majority market share in these. :P They're loud though.
    Well seems there are also good quieter ones too like this one http://www.hardocp.com/article/2016/...4#.V2XScI9OI_U

I'm just worried about cooling and whatnot if I mess it up :\ Also having to pay for a better cooler and (possibly) PSU(?).

I'm not opposed to it, just worried/paranoid as per my usual MO.
    Your cooler and PSU are perfect for it. Just get it done like millions of others have.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's already been bought 5 years ago though so it's technically $0! Thankfully 5-years-ago-me was smart enough to put the product key on my case

Though I have no idea where the CD is... >.>
    The product key can also be found in your computer/system properties panel.
    "A flower.

Alright so except for the GPU, I've gotten tons of second opinions and a lot of people seem to think the build's good, with one exception: I'm gonna bump up the PSU from 650W to 850W, because it's only $15 more and I'm thinking about the long-term investment. $15 means I won't have to throw down another $100+ on another PSU in the future if I want to OC my GPU/CPU and other stuff.

I'm also still considering going with a 2TB WD Black over 2 1TB WD Blues, but eh, potato potahto.

Thank you everyone for your help and expertise. I greatly appreciate the assistance!

Edit: Just bought all the parts (except the GPU)! I ended up going with a 2TB WD Black and the 850W PSU. Now I gotta throw down another $200+ for a gpu in the future, ugh x.x
    Last edited by Polarthief; 2016-06-19 at 12:47 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Still going SeaSonic PSU right?
    "A flower.

Deleted
    Assuming we can trust Tomshardware?
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...k,3269.html#p2

As far as 850W PSU goes, you'll need a quad SLI or something to actually cap that power. 3 Drives + 1 Optical Unit + 1 GPU is not even going to tax a 550W PSU.

Seasonic vs Superflower debate, Seasonic has been at the top for as long as anyone can remember, Superflower was top of the medium layer, but they have gone up and are progressively getting better. You can't go wrong with either one.

Only thing I will say about Seasonic is read the reviews on their PSU that you want. They are very good, but their fans occasionally are bad in certain PSUs
    Last edited by mmoc96f3bf9e48; 2016-06-19 at 12:51 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Alright so except for the GPU, I've gotten tons of second opinions and a lot of people seem to think the build's good, with one exception: I'm gonna bump up the PSU from 650W to 850W, because it's only $15 more and I'm thinking about the long-term investment. $15 means I won't have to throw down another $100+ on another PSU in the future if I want to OC my GPU/CPU and other stuff.

I'm also still considering going with a 2TB WD Black over 2 1TB WD Blues, but eh, potato potahto.

Thank you everyone for your help and expertise. I greatly appreciate the assistance!
    If the difference between a Seasonic X-650 and X-850 is only 15USD then I say... hell yes take that.

As far as HDDs go I can only speak out of personal preference and would recommend the Black over 2 x 1TB because it makes things a lot easier both in management and in building it in and using less cables etc.
    That and the 5 year warranty on the HDD is VERY welcome and the Blacks are renowned for their quality.

1 thing I do recommend is that if you're going with a Fractal Design Define R5 case is to grab another Fractal Design GP-14 fan with white fanblades to get optimal airflow within the R5, they are silent and good even if they do feel cheap.
    The R5 only has 2 fans, 1 in front and 1 in back. You grab another identical fan and you place it in front with the other fan and you'll have positive pressure so less dust in the nooks and crannies of your case whilst also cooling your graphics card better.
    And whilst a crapton of casefans don't matter as much in an open case it deffo has a proper effect in the R5 because of the sound dampening material embedded in the case which does increase heat retention a bit so another fresh airflow fan will counter-act that material.

As far as GPU goes... as you yourself stated:
    Wait till the RX 480 is out in full and reviews hit the net.
    From that point decide for yourself if you want an RX 480 or a GTX 1070.
    Multi-monitor will NOT be an issue for either of them at any point in time so that's not a concern you have to deal with.